Mark's Employee Reviews

Knowledge
Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON7 February 2019
• Knowledgeable in the operation of the cash register ringing up purchases
• Knowledgeable regarding giving change, processing payments, cashback and the Point of Sales
• Assisted in keeping the cash area clean and tidy
• Have had experience properly bagging merchandise
• Understood and remembered the codes for various produce items
• Helped to put out stock around the cash area
• Understanding of basic math skills, such as adding, subtracting, multiplying and division
• Always kept busy doing something during idle times
• Strong and efficient to details
• Enjoyed taking on new projects and tasks
Pros
Friendly staff, easy going environment
Cons
Not enough hours, business is slow at times
part time seasonal
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 January 2019
I only did part time hours.
Been there before.
Manager is great; however, there was one shift leader that acted a bit like a bully. I questioned someone from another store and was told "it's just the way she comes off."
Hardest part - this most recent one was a new store for me. Was used to previous manager, that would utilize my strengths, instead of my weaknesses.
Best part - loved that this store was so organized in the back room. It was easy to look for stuff.
The floor organization, however, was not as organized. It was a "test" store for organizing by colour. As a shopper and worker of this store, it was difficult to put stuff away and search for like items of different colours (nice to have all colours of same style together).
Pros
na
Cons
na
fun staff to work with but needs better management
Part-time sales associate (Former Employee) –  eaton centre23 January 2019
Staff is fun to work with however when it comes to actually working management is slow and unproductive with solving problems within the work place. And very little opportunity and hours are given to newer staff.
Pros
paid lunch, nice staff
Cons
very poor management and work schedule
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2019
Marks was my first experience in retail and was quite enjoyable. I learned many valuable skills ex. time management, closing procedures, customer service
Fun workplace to gain retail experience
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 January 2019
you keep busy at Mark's between cashier, customer service, organizing the store, taking out stock, and cleaning. Staff all gets along well. I enjoy the fundraiser. Sometimes management was a bit messy. Sometimes difficult to get days off as a part-time employee.
Pros
not very stressful, good hours
Cons
sometimes disorganized management, some negative unhappy employees
fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB14 January 2019
fun atmosphere to work in, I enjoyed it. I learned a lot from the staff, management was great, the culture was good. Hardest part of the job was being away from home so late into the night. I have young children and my job took a lot of at-home responsibilities away from me that I did not agree with unfortunately.
Pros
great staff
Cons
too much time away from home
Not so friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON11 January 2019
Manager was very good but other coworkers were rude to Indian people they didn’t gave me proper shifts according to my availability and didn’t respected my hard work
Pros
Nice manager
Cons
Rude coworker
Awesome place to work
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 January 2019
Very nice place to work if retail is up your alley, geat management, kind coworkers, and a busy spot so there's always something to keep you working. Great quality product to be proud of selling.
Provided excellent customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 January 2019
Responsible for restocking tables on the floor. Provided excellent customer service. Helped customer find products around the store. Maintain organization of clothing displayed in the store
an amazing team of individuals to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON7 January 2019
Working at marks was an amazing learning experience for me. all off my fellow co-workers were very helpful when I was first starting off working there. My hours were not crazy or overwhelming. also my manager and supervisors were really amazing.
Want to give a company everything you have and get nothing in return?
Shift Leader/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2019
work full-time hours for low pay and no benefits. look forward to being asked to come in all of the time. still don't get benefits. most of the work experience is going to depend on what type of management you get. some are awesome. some are terrible. the drama is terrible.
fun and productive place to work
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB2 January 2019
Working at Marks was a very good experience for me,its alarger store than most stores ,but the experience i got was the most valuable thing.
i got the opportunity to meet different people daily
Pros
free lunches
Cons
the manager gives lots of hours
Great team
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 December 2018
Unfortunately not much room for advancement with this company ... don't be too good at sales or you'll never get a promotion, because their bottom line is far more important than your desire to grow with them.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Nowhere to go
Great people to work with!
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC14 December 2018
Loved working there, the people are great! The manager isn't all that great, I didn't agree with the work style they were putting in play, they would yell at employees loud enough for people who were shopping could hear them from the back and made it feel very hostile.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits, no vacation days
Changed Management
Technical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2018
The Company has changed since Canadian Tire Co. bought it. Work environment was busy and exciting however since Mark's was purchased by Canadian Tire Co., Management changed and overall environment has changed a lot as well, causing employees work over and to have more responsibilities.
Pros
Extreme potentials
Cons
Changed Management
Standard sales associate job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON10 December 2018
It is a good place to work while in highschool or seasonal, its oppritunity for growth seems limited only to full-time employees at best. It is an easy job and can be very redundant.
Pros
Good discounts on products
Cons
Its like any other part time position in a coporate environment.
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canada4 December 2018
Management is immature, fake, negative, and will make promises in the interview they know that they cannot keep such as more hours. Unrealistic expectations for the amount of training offered. A lot of personal problems brought into the work place which created an unhealthy and negative environment. Favouritism. Plenty of gossip. The coworkers were welcoming and usually very helpful in the fact that they picked up all of managements slack.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, Hours, Treatment.
Productive and team work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 December 2018
Good team work, excellent place, Management has very good relation with employees, this store believe to make long term relationship with customer by providing excellent and fast customer service.
Nice coworkers, Ok employer
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Arnprior, ON30 November 2018
Working at Marks was a decent experience. Great hours and lots of merchandising daily. I would recommend working here if you like to wear several hats. You will be shipping one day, selling the next.
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
Very little employee culture
Maybe not all Mark's...
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON27 November 2018
In my short time (less than 6 months) at Mark's, I met some decent co-workers and some not-so-great managers.
While I'd just worked at one location, that can be left up to the imagination which, I can safely say it is not a pleasant place to work. No positive anything; attitude, reinforcement, environment what so ever. Forget about training, and I'm not talking about a day on a computer watching videos. I'm talking about real human interaction and direction. You're expected to do everything, and just know how.
Most of all it starts at the top - management. There was no "managing" being done. Instead there was disrespect towards all employees, a sense of importance that could never be trumped, poor attitude and overall childish behavior. All of which I think are inappropriate for a manager to portray, and impossible for employees to respect.
In the end I know for a fact talking to co-workers that I was not the only one aware of these issues. I was just one of the few that was not willing to put up with it.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.