Mark's
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Mark's Employee Reviews

Team work environment.

As part-time. Hours can get cut far too often. To many management changes. No cost of living raises. High expectations for performance with very little staff. All in all, decent place to work, although can be very stressful.

Pros

Non

Cons

Too much to do in very short shifts.

Poor management

Terrible workplace, poor management, high expectations, low pay. The customers were nicer then the staff but the customers were pretty bad. Very few hours available.

Pros

N/a

Cons

A lot

Poor scheduling, not enough people working

Customers complain a lot when you are running around trying to help everyone. Management doesn’t hire enough people or schedule enough people. Lots of times there’s only 2 or 3 people working. Thieves come in and steal the boots and management thinks you are to blame when you were tied up helping customers.

Pros

Get paid

Cons

Hours cut, bad managers

Loved it, but short term only

I really enjoyed working at marks. It was an easy job, I liked enough of my coworkers to have a good time and there weren’t any big surprises, work was consistent but obviously busier near Christmas.****BUT*****I worked there for a couple years, and I did everything that was ever asked of me. I picked up multiple shifts a week at times because coworkers constantly had “Doctor appointments” 🙄. After a year I asked for a raise, with my work ethic, I’d never been turned down before, and was often offered a raise before I had to ask. They turned me down on the spot because “corporate wouldn’t allow it”. I spent the next year openly asking for, and talking about my need for, more shifts. The problem was that if I had a full work week then there wouldn’t be anyone to take the many shifts that other people missed. So instead of being rewarded for my commitment, I was taken advantage of. After I came to terms with the situation, I made it clear that I would be leaving the company. I gave no specific date, but just a heads up so they weren’t surprised when I gave them two weeks notice. This stood out enough that they offered me a promotion. Brilliant. I was pretty happy about that but I had two important questions. I asked how many hours I would get, and how much of a raise. I would still get *under 30 hours* a week, and a raise of *20 cents* an hour (and that’s 20 cents over minimum wage), in exchange for a very significant change to my workload. I asked if I could get a slightly larger raise, or even a full time position. I was turned down. I used my lunch break to write my letter -

Pros

Easy job

Cons

15-20 hours/week, low pay, no raises.

Too many expectations

It’s very nice place to work .You learn a lot of stuff everyday. Pay is very low. It has discount and other benefits which is pretty good. Weekly commissions on MC and Annual bonus structure.

Benefits

Cons

Too many Audit, Low on staff everyday

Terrible Place to work at

Terrible place to work. Supposed shift leaders treat you like trash, when going to a Manager about how the shift leaders treat you the managers say "Oh thats just how they are" blew it off like nothing happened. Get sworn at but these "shift leaders" on the sales floor and nothing gets gone. Gets threatened if i go to HR about it my hours will get cut. Do not work for this company. they are nice to you for the first few months and then treat you like scum. get no help on cash when theres a line of 7+ people, even when there's 5 other cashiers in the building. if its too busy or no one to cover you don't get your 15 minute breaks, you will always get your mandatory 30 minute lunch wether it be 15mins to 1hr late.

Cons

No Hours

Relaxed workplace with good people and pretty reasonable expectations

Your basic retail job. Show up see where your assigned for the day. Get the rundown from the managers and get to work. Usually folding, bringing out stock, helping customers and hopping on cash to support (unless you’re the cashier of course). Good people overall. Managers are reasonable but can be uptight on days they feel pressure. As a cashier there are no sales targets but you need to get customers emails for receipts, donations for Jumpstart and credit card sign ups (which are rewarded). Hours do fluctuate. Some weeks you’ll be there for 8 hour shifts almost all week long and others you’ll be there for 2-3 5 hour shifts. That’s due to head office though and the managers can’t do much about that. Some days you will feel stretched thin because understaffing.

Pros

Good people, easy work, solid discount, flexible schedule

Cons

Hours fluctuate, growth takes longer, gets busy, managers put stress on you (sometimes), some odd customers but this is retail no surprise there

Ancient corporate work processes and stressful work environment

The corporate office has a highly imbalanced work allocation. While some departments are overworked, others are under utilized. Managers have low EQ and sometimes inexperienced in the departments they lead. The only silver lining is that it’s backed by Canadian Tire.

Pros

Rrsp matching

Cons

High stress work environment

Part time key holders are not appreciated

Working as a keyholder, they want you to have quite a bit of responsibilities including having a key to the store, be in charge when management aren't around, open and close the store, do reports, audits, have first aid, etc. BUT not pay you a wage that compares to the job requirements. Minimum wage goes up and you're paid pennies more then someone just hired. Full time employees actually get OK benefits but won't give part time anything. District managers don't seem to care about their stores and won't talk to manager about what would products the store would benefit in having in stock.All they care about now is collecting customer emails, trying to get them to signup for their credit card, and get donations for Jumpstart and if you don't, you're targeted. They don't seem to care about making sales in the store anymore.

Pros

Good coworkers, discount on store items

Cons

no benefits unless full time. Harped on if you don't get Credit card signups, Hard to get any holidays during the summer because managers take them all.

A good time

Great place to work, didn’t seem like a place id fit in at first but glad i stayed the course and now i feel like an asset to the team. Id definitely recommend it to anyone looking for longterm or shortterm work

Pros

Great environment for staff, Everyone approachable

Cons

N/a

No Communication

Absolutely no communication between management. They have no idea how to run a company. The managers act like children and don’t do their jobs properly. They talk about other employees negatively in front of people. Their management style is awful.

So much pressure on cashiers

The job started of great. Now it's like the entire stores capability of running is on my shoulders. It's constantly get MasterCard. Get donations. Get emails. Watch people to make sure they're not shoplifting, like. Stare at everyone's shoes when they walk in and leave. Mark down how many emails you get, how many opt in for marketing. If you don't do good at these tasks youre shamed as they put this info in a weekly communication. Pressure is put on you to get TMCs when keyholders and management are "too uncomfortable" to do it themselves. The only incentive is $20 if you manage to get them to sign up and use it withing 30 days but everyone who shops at marks has shopped there for years and already has it or doesn't want it. Management makes passive aggressive remarks and leaves passive aggressive notes about these goals and they will stand near the cash pretending to do something while eavesdropping. I was basically in charge of TMC without the title and raise (someone else was given that and I've never once saw them talk about the MasterCard) Not to mention each customer has to go through 5 min or rigorous questioning starting off normal with "did you find what you were looking for today" Then "reinforcing the sale" that item has *insert feature* so it's a great choice Would you like to help get kids into sport who can't afford it? Do you have a CT money card? If yes: are you enjoying the benefits? Such as *insert benefits* you could get *insert MasterCard* benefits if you upgrade to the TMCIf no: if you got the CT points card you could collect at *insert stores* I -

Pros

Discount and flexibility in hours

Cons

Little pay for a lot of pressure

Great coworkers

The company could care less about you!!! I worked in UNSAFE work environments and had to see a doctor, and they do not care if tools you need to do your job are broken. No pay raises, you will work your butt off for absolutely nothing, no appreciation or advancement. They do not not help you be the best you could be. Apply elsewhere. Coworkers are lovely though.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Pretty much everything

Management was unprofessional

Management was the reason I gave my notice at Marks!! Enjoyed my coworkers, loved the customers & was learning lots of skills at time went on. The just needed to get rid of management at store level & regional level.

Pros

Great coworkers, enjoyed the customers & liked the job.

Awful

People are unsupportive, don’t want to see you do anything with you life, worked harder here than anywhere else with disgraceful pay. All employees talk bad about each other, and be little you behind your back. Beyond unprofessional, Not a good work environment at all, don’t even get me started on the management! TOXIC TOXIC TOXIC.

Pros

Absolutely nothing

Great Co-workers but horrible managment

At first, when I got the job, it was a lot of fun. Management was excellent, co-workers were great. As time went on, however, things changed. Management got pretty bad as they do not care if you are a student. I got forced to work during exams and never seemed to get any time off. There is a big turnover here. The only good thing about this job was my fellow part-time coworkers. I advise everyone to be careful while working for this company. It is not at all what it seems to be at first.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

management, long hours, short breaks or no breaks at all

Good coworkers, horrible management and customers

I worked at Marks for over 2 years, I noticed that almost all of the customers were middle-aged and above, they think that they know absolutely everything because they've been shopping at Marks for apparently 20 years. The attitude that the customers have is really awful, completing business orders is something exclusive to Marks and it's pretty complicated when you first get started. During the beginning of covid, there were to protocols for the safety for the employees, we couldn't even kick customers out who refused to wear a mask. The management is extremely contradicting and hypocritical, made for an awful work environment. However, there is 40% employee discount, good hours and the coworkers are really what kept me there so long. Make sure you have a tough skin if you want to apply or else the customers and management will eat you alive.

Pros

Good coworkers, employee discount, Canadian Tire Christmas boxes

Cons

Standing all day, immature and ignorant customers, hypocritical policies

Fun workplace with ability to learn and advance

Higher Management is looking to help you succeed within store and advancement within company. Help you set up for success and want to promote from within before hiring outside. Great company for a long career

Excellent place to work in. Due the supporting culture of all managers and coworkers .Additional to that a place to make the best purchase in merchandise and work items.

Toxic Work Environment with no support from the Company

In Short Terms: Poor upper management. Lack of support. Crowded spaces. Understaffed. Limited hours. Constant negativity. Useless HR Department.The company did nothing to help any of our problems and it became the most toxic work place I have ever worked at. I could never recommend working for this company. I truly hate saying that but I don't want others to have to hurt the way I did for a company that just didn't care about any of us.

Pros

Some good people try their best to make it work

Cons

Negative Atmosphere, lack of support, no benefits to actually work hard. This place could care less about what good you do for them.

I have made a few good friends, but that is about all.

I am happy to hear that in some Mark’s stores, there are still some good place to work for. But Where I worked, management and some staff should not of been there. I worked at this particular Mark’s for over six years, and yes I did see a lot of stuff. But I would not recommend working there. At first it was 0K, we had benefits. Then they changed companies and no more benefits. You could have benefits but you have to pay a lot of money and for the amount of money we are getting, it was too much. Then had lots of managers, and those managers had their favourites employees and if you were not the favourite employee it was not fun to work there. Some of the employees are so lazy, but they still work there. I was so stressed out I had to leave. I even found out my new manager wanted to get rid of me cause I wasn’t getting along with one of the workers that hasn’t been there for a year. And the sad part of it all, I wasn’t the only one that didn’t get along with that worker. So I left and I will miss the customers, but I made some good friends

Pros

Discount

Cons

Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement