Mark's Employee Reviews

Great Staff, Poor Management and Upper Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON20 August 2018
My job started off great until the managers threw a long term employee under the bus. Gossip and lots of backstabbing, manager trying to turn employees against each other for no good reason. Staff that actually works hard are penalized meanwhile staff that don't work at all are put on pedestals. Upper management only defends the manager, therefore any problems you may face are only dealt with by making you the bad guy, even when that is clearly not the case. Poor culture, management with no customer service skills, horrible work to life balance. Would not recommend to anyone I know.
Pros
Coworkers were awesome
Cons
Everything else
Productive and friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC20 August 2018
I enjoyed working for the store and the staff was kind and friendly. I enjoyed the friendly work environment and never usually worried about covering my coworkers shifts.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Hours
Was great in beginning, but management hired has no communication skills whatsoever.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON15 August 2018
I loved working there the first few months. They brought in a new assistant manager . This person had no ability to manage people whatsoever. It went from a happy easygoing work environment to a hostile negative work space in less than a month. Management needs to listen to staff. You are human you make mistakes.
Pros
Great physical environment
Cons
Poor management skills.
Everything is bad except the flexible hours
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC14 August 2018
Training was not adequate, everything is un-orthodox, the store is often understaffed, the store is always a mess and co-workers are generally lazy and do not follow directions.
Organized work area and flexible work hours
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC5 August 2018
Typical days at work consist of creating a daily schedule for all employees that day, as well as thinking quickly on the spot with scheduling if people call in sick. Lots of organizing and preparing for visits by the District Manager and audit specialists.

Daily audits on the store's performance the previous day.

Opening/Closing the store, involves counting cash and verifying government forms.

Customer service and conference calls, as well as calls from other stores for help with any issues.

Dealing with business account orders through various computer systems.
great place to work if good management
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2018
How can you Deliver exceptional customer service including providing product knowledge to your customers , when the manager is very bad , hides in the stock room and don't care about customers or the staff... I was not happy to work there when we got a different manager and the district manager doesn't care about any staff .
no respect
Nice folks, company needs improvement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 July 2018
Excellent management and staff, few hours, no benefits, raises few and far between. Good for part timers only who don't need hours or those who have a second job. Schedules only posted a week or two in advance so no planning can be done.
Pros
Staff discount, great people to work with and for
Cons
Few hours, no benefits, NO room for advancement even if you show interest
Would not recommend
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2018
Honestly the worst company I have ever worked for. Not nessesarly FGL but Mark's itself. Terrible leadership team. No training what so ever. You are just thrown in the mix. Treated like a number rather then a valued employee.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Upper management. Lack of training. Wages.
Work hard and you are rewarded. Do one thing wrong and your done
Sales Associate for boots and industrail (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
Good company to work for... If you don't mind doing long hours some days to the point of over time and not get paid for it.

Do one thing wrong and basically are fired or forced to quit.

Worked hard for 4 years with nothing to show for it

Oh and low pay too
Pros
Decent people
Cons
Low pay. No benifits for pt staff. Not enough hours
great place to Work.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Steinbach, MB22 July 2018
Marks is a great environment and a great place to learn skills as in communicating with customers, multi tasking, and much more. would recommend for anyone.
Pros
great employee discount.
Cons
always different hours.
Busy Environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 July 2018
Worked in the backroom as a Stock Associate.
Unpacked clothings and hung them on hangers to go out on the floor for selling.
Tidied up the stock room.
alright place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 July 2018
Good for your first job. good place to start learning about customer service. I had a lot of awful customers while working there and the manager wasn't the best.
Phenomenal
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB3 July 2018
Productive environment with a lot of room to grow and develop. Working here was a boost to me individual progress in life and a phenomenal experience all around.
Not a bad part time job
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Canada21 June 2018
Working at a marks store was pretty fun because employees were really empowered to provide excellent customer service. Some store managers make the job fun, and some suck all of the fun out of the job.
Good workplace
Fashion buyer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Ab13 June 2018
Friendly atmosphere, great culture and product. Advantages and possibility of advancement. Lot of change in the direction within the past years. I do recommend.
Wonderful co-workers, and great work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC22 May 2018
I love working here! Everybody on the staff is friendly and good to be around. It's not a high stress job and it mostly consists of organizing and being comfortable with people. they teach a lot about till and cash and how all that works. They make sure you are very clear on company rules and standards. Biannual audits are done to be sure the store is compliant with company rules, as well as a yearly inventory. The hardest job I would say is stock or ladders depending on if your good with heights or heavy lifting. The best part by far is the staff though.
Pros
40% off regular priced items, and 20% off sale priced items
Cons
It can get to be physically draining sometimes
Great co-workers, poor leadership
Visual Merchandiser, Shipper (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 May 2018
I was hired as a visual merchandiser but mainly put out clothes and sold. I was a key holder until I was told they were getting rid of the key holders. It was not important they said. I rarely saw the district manager and my manager was a micro-manager who took credit for my ideas.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
poor Manager
Customer greeting, Stocking shelfs
Sales Associate Boot and Shoe Department (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 May 2018
Temporary employment, not a career position. Good training with inter perosnal skills .
Handling customer orders personal and corporate. Dealing with customers to problem solve.
Fun and Aggravating at the same time
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North York, ON14 May 2018
The staff and customers are very fun. It's aggravating because of a certain program being used for our ordering systems which has caused major delays.
Fun place to work
Shipper/Receiver/Shiftleader (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, West7 May 2018
Mostly top down management. Great staff and management to work with at store level. Canadian Tire Corp. has ultimate say in everything but can be a fun place to work. Mostly positive customer base.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
No real raises unless you are promoted to AM or SGM

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.