Mark's Employee Reviews

Applied and Never Got a Response.
None (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC21 September 2018
I applied to Marks four weeks ago and I have yet to get a response from them. I was asked by an employee to apply, so I did and they did not respond or update me for now over four weeks. Left my landline, cell phone, and email address so there is no reason they would not have been able to contact me. Very unimpressed with Marks culture, long time customer to and was upset to see this.
Cons
When I have left, I've came back!
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 September 2018
Really have enjoyed working for Marks and now, Canadian Tire Corp.
Only left due to relocation and other job opportunities, only to return after missing the work experience.
Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON13 September 2018
A typical day at Marks is check people out stock items and make store presentable, I learned how to use the store systems and procedures, Management was always very organized and on top of their game, great at driving our ambitions to always be better and reach higher with our store goals/presentation. Workplace culture was straight retail and hard working creative individuals. The hardest part of the job was dealing with high velocity times such as Christmas time, The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I had the pleasure of working with and for.
Pros
Work Team and shedule
Cons
Climbing ladders, Cleaning washroom and stocking safety boots
N/a
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2018
I worked at Marks as a part time sales associate. The work/life balance was manageable and offered flexible hours. The management was great but felt there was very little room to move up in the company as a part time worker.

(*Some* supervisors slacked which set a bad example for new employees. Thus resulting in the workload/daily tasks piling on one worker in order to complete the day.)
Not terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 September 2018
Never got shifts nice people boss stressed everyone out made it difficult to work some days. Minimum wage for work worth more in my opinion. Customer service is key
an ok place to work - terrible management and minimum wage
Cashier/Customer Service/shipper and receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2018
people are only hired pt unless you are in management. bad pay. job itself was good but the management was terrible. if you get a position an a location with a manager who knows what they are doing than it would be fine.
Very professional
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 August 2018
managers were super respectful, workplace was very professional, supervisors very understanding, coworkers were nice, it was just so boring because there were no customers. often times I would work a 7 hour shift and help maybe 5 customers
Pros
very professional, treated well and with respect
Cons
long hours, boring
lots of gossip and manager was always in the back
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB28 August 2018
you get in and fold clothes. everyone complained about their co-workers. management was in the back and did not set a good example. the job was easy. the job was not enjoyable
Pros
christmas basket from canadian tire
Cons
lack of recognition
Big nope
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS26 August 2018
Honestly the worst company I have ever worked for.
Not nessesarly FGL but Mark's itself.
Terrible leadership team. No training what so ever. You are just thrown in the mix.
Treated like a glorified cleaner rather then a valued employee.
If you are not a yes person or dont kiss butt, don't apply here
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bad management, brown nosing
marks is a wonderful workplace
cashier / customer service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
A typical day at work was just getting task don and keeping the store neat , clean and tidy. I learn how to help customer with he/she needs. The culture o the work place was paceful and co workers are welcoming and friendly . everything was pretty much easy. most enjoyable part was making money and helping customer with a smile .
Pros
co-workers bring cake or food
Cons
working late
Drama, politics, and stress.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario21 August 2018
As long as you get along with your co-workers (which can change on a dime) and have a sense of humour it isn’t unbearable.
A ton of work and sacrifice is expected for little money and no benefits (unless you advance up). Expect to be harassed to come into work when you are home on an off day.
Company comes first, not employees. Working there means mopping, sweeping, dusting, and cleaning the store. I would only say that if you need the money....
Cons
Crazy hours, not enough compensation
Great Staff, Poor Management and Upper Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON20 August 2018
My job started off great until the managers threw a long term employee under the bus. Gossip and lots of backstabbing, manager trying to turn employees against each other for no good reason. Staff that actually works hard are penalized meanwhile staff that don't work at all are put on pedestals. Upper management only defends the manager, therefore any problems you may face are only dealt with by making you the bad guy, even when that is clearly not the case. Poor culture, management with no customer service skills, horrible work to life balance. Would not recommend to anyone I know.
Pros
Coworkers were awesome
Cons
Everything else
Productive and friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC20 August 2018
I enjoyed working for the store and the staff was kind and friendly. I enjoyed the friendly work environment and never usually worried about covering my coworkers shifts.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Hours
Was great in beginning, but management hired has no communication skills whatsoever.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON15 August 2018
I loved working there the first few months. They brought in a new assistant manager . This person had no ability to manage people whatsoever. It went from a happy easygoing work environment to a hostile negative work space in less than a month. Management needs to listen to staff. You are human you make mistakes.
Pros
Great physical environment
Cons
Poor management skills.
Everything is bad except the flexible hours
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC14 August 2018
Training was not adequate, everything is un-orthodox, the store is often understaffed, the store is always a mess and co-workers are generally lazy and do not follow directions.
so much drama
Cashier/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 August 2018
if you can put blinders on it's wonderful. customer are generally pretty good, management is ok, but lack constructive criticism. pay is minimum unless you advance.
good for part time students
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 August 2018
Worked there part time for a few years. Have to know how to do everything since you're usually only working with one other person, obviously this depends on which store you work at though so it could be different depending on the location. Need to do customer service, cash and stock.
Organized work area and flexible work hours
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC5 August 2018
Typical days at work consist of creating a daily schedule for all employees that day, as well as thinking quickly on the spot with scheduling if people call in sick. Lots of organizing and preparing for visits by the District Manager and audit specialists.

Daily audits on the store's performance the previous day.

Opening/Closing the store, involves counting cash and verifying government forms.

Customer service and conference calls, as well as calls from other stores for help with any issues.

Dealing with business account orders through various computer systems.
Was an ok place to work
Warehouse Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON3 August 2018
Its a good clean retail store, the coworkers are good, the management wasn't great to deal with always. Good hours, not a great wage, fairly flexible with schedules.
great place to work if good management
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2018
How can you Deliver exceptional customer service including providing product knowledge to your customers , when the manager is very bad , hides in the stock room and don't care about customers or the staff... I was not happy to work there when we got a different manager and the district manager doesn't care about any staff .
no respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.