Mark's Employee Reviews

Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canada4 December 2018
Management is immature, fake, negative, and will make promises in the interview they know that they cannot keep such as more hours. Unrealistic expectations for the amount of training offered. A lot of personal problems brought into the work place which created an unhealthy and negative environment. Favouritism. Plenty of gossip. The coworkers were welcoming and usually very helpful in the fact that they picked up all of managements slack.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, Hours, Treatment.
Productive and team work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 December 2018
Good team work, excellent place, Management has very good relation with employees, this store believe to make long term relationship with customer by providing excellent and fast customer service.
Maybe not all Mark's...
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON27 November 2018
In my short time (less than 6 months) at Mark's, I met some decent co-workers and some not-so-great managers.
While I'd just worked at one location, that can be left up to the imagination which, I can safely say it is not a pleasant place to work. No positive anything; attitude, reinforcement, environment what so ever. Forget about training, and I'm not talking about a day on a computer watching videos. I'm talking about real human interaction and direction. You're expected to do everything, and just know how.
Most of all it starts at the top - management. There was no "managing" being done. Instead there was disrespect towards all employees, a sense of importance that could never be trumped, poor attitude and overall childish behavior. All of which I think are inappropriate for a manager to portray, and impossible for employees to respect.
In the end I know for a fact talking to co-workers that I was not the only one aware of these issues. I was just one of the few that was not willing to put up with it.
Pros
Co-Workers
productive environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2018
was on my feet all day, on slow days it was painfully boring, but on a busy day it goes by way faster, great place to work environment wise. Very freindly and welcoming.
Good Place to Start
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB19 November 2018
Everyone was patient and helpful in teaching. You gain a lot of experience working with customers and products. Coworkers were good people who helped when you needed it.
Pros
Flexible breaks
Cons
No other benefits
part time workers receive almost no hour, but friendly staff.
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 November 2018
-workers are promised many hours but receive barely any
-staff is very friendly
-received very little trainer was expected to learn everything on my own
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
lack of hours and poor training
Very large company with multiple store.
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 November 2018
Morning meetings started the day off. Helped with customer service. Cleaned up the different departments of the store, put stock away, put orders through the computer for the customers. Took care of the overall staff and made sure everything went smoothly.
Love the product
Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 November 2018
My job entailed driving to and from work sites.. Selling product to the workers. Responsible for loading truck with the proper merchandise. Best part was working with other store members and the public. Learned the proper clothing needed at the sites, which included, FR and steel toe boots.
Painfully boring
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 October 2018
It’s slow and boring with very little to do. Some managers will constantly harass and abuse employees. When closing you never get out on time and you will be stuck waiting for sometimes a half hour (that you won’t get paid for).
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Poor management
Work is light if you don't mind walking and standing all day
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 October 2018
The work is very light but the hard part of the Job isn't the constant re-stocking, its the once in a blue moon costumer that does not understand store and corporate policy. for example the usual costumer is a laborer/worker, They take the shoes they just bought and get them filthy full mud and grime without trying them out at home first. We at Marks remind all costumers that they should try their new shoes or work boots at home to see if its comfortable for constant use. but unfortunately we get some costumers with one or all of the following issues (Visually noticeable ware and tare/ dirt and grime/ no receipt/ no proof of purchase) But Thankfully to my managers they resolve all issues using their higher clearance levels in the digital cashier. I don't know what I would of done without them. Thank you if your seeing this.
Pros
Discounts (30%) on all Items in shop.
Cons
Low pay, seasonal work.
Applied and Never Got a Response.
None (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC21 September 2018
I applied to Marks four weeks ago and I have yet to get a response from them. I was asked by an employee to apply, so I did and they did not respond or update me for now over four weeks. Left my landline, cell phone, and email address so there is no reason they would not have been able to contact me. Very unimpressed with Marks culture, long time customer to and was upset to see this.
Cons
When I have left, I've came back!
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 September 2018
Really have enjoyed working for Marks and now, Canadian Tire Corp.
Only left due to relocation and other job opportunities, only to return after missing the work experience.
Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON13 September 2018
A typical day at Marks is check people out stock items and make store presentable, I learned how to use the store systems and procedures, Management was always very organized and on top of their game, great at driving our ambitions to always be better and reach higher with our store goals/presentation. Workplace culture was straight retail and hard working creative individuals. The hardest part of the job was dealing with high velocity times such as Christmas time, The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I had the pleasure of working with and for.
Pros
Work Team and shedule
Cons
Climbing ladders, Cleaning washroom and stocking safety boots
N/a
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2018
I worked at Marks as a part time sales associate. The work/life balance was manageable and offered flexible hours. The management was great but felt there was very little room to move up in the company as a part time worker.

(*Some* supervisors slacked which set a bad example for new employees. Thus resulting in the workload/daily tasks piling on one worker in order to complete the day.)
Not terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 September 2018
Never got shifts nice people boss stressed everyone out made it difficult to work some days. Minimum wage for work worth more in my opinion. Customer service is key
an ok place to work - terrible management and minimum wage
Cashier/Customer Service/shipper and receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2018
people are only hired pt unless you are in management. bad pay. job itself was good but the management was terrible. if you get a position an a location with a manager who knows what they are doing than it would be fine.
Very professional
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 August 2018
managers were super respectful, workplace was very professional, supervisors very understanding, coworkers were nice, it was just so boring because there were no customers. often times I would work a 7 hour shift and help maybe 5 customers
Pros
very professional, treated well and with respect
Cons
long hours, boring
lots of gossip and manager was always in the back
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB28 August 2018
you get in and fold clothes. everyone complained about their co-workers. management was in the back and did not set a good example. the job was easy. the job was not enjoyable
Pros
christmas basket from canadian tire
Cons
lack of recognition
Big nope
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS26 August 2018
Honestly the worst company I have ever worked for.
Not nessesarly FGL but Mark's itself.
Terrible leadership team. No training what so ever. You are just thrown in the mix.
Treated like a glorified cleaner rather then a valued employee.
If you are not a yes person or dont kiss butt, don't apply here
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bad management, brown nosing
marks is a wonderful workplace
cashier / customer service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
A typical day at work was just getting task don and keeping the store neat , clean and tidy. I learn how to help customer with he/she needs. The culture o the work place was paceful and co workers are welcoming and friendly . everything was pretty much easy. most enjoyable part was making money and helping customer with a smile .
Pros
co-workers bring cake or food
Cons
working late

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.