MARINE ATLANTIC

MARINE ATLANTIC Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
I loved it at first but I fist it really hard to be away from family for a long time, coworkers are fantastic. When you first start you pretty much only work during the summer and off during the winter.
Enjoy working for the company.Good salary and benefits.Fast paced work.Great work force.Enjoyed interacting with the various passengers.Enjoyed meeting and talking to people from all 9ver the world.
Pros
Salary and medical benefits
I loved my job with marine atlantic, it was stressful in time due to the numbers of passengers, I worked both as second / steward and loved both : I’m recently laid off due to the corona virus, it looks like I’m not going back anytime soon
Vessel jobs are hard,you don't have one job,you have many,you will work 2 weeks on and 2 off..if your new, starting in the summer you may get home 10 days all summer,
Good luck all
Enjoyed working there but commuting from Corner Brook every week didn't work
The employees spent too much time writing grievences.

Too many rules to protect unnessecary workers
Pros
No one looking over your shoulder
Cons
Travel from Corner Brook to port aux basques weekly
The company has lots of advancement opportunities and provides lots of training to their employees. Training such as safety in different departments and the company is a big supporter of safety in the work place.
discrimination and bullying from chief engineers. some junior engineers can go home and leave the valves open to fill lube oil to main engines and nothing is said. Oilers leave valves open to main engine and you check the oil figures finding out they have over filled main engines with oil. Can't start Main Engines. Response from chief Engineer, you deal with it. then chief lays chargers against you for being the engineer on watch.
Decent pay and benefits, but very disorderly. Takes years to build up seniority, and possibly over a decade to get a schedule. Company as a whole does little to accommodate. In the first days, it was said to me not expect time off, for even the birth of your child. No regard for their employees.

Although my experience wasn't all bad, I would only recommend this place as a stepping stone. It is the definition of a soul destroying job.
Pros
Good pay, nice people
Cons
Everything else is horrible
I applied to Marine Atlantic to be a student assistant steward. The hiring process was extremely long, and they require a lot from you. References, background check, 2 drug test, 2 medical exams. It was a 30-40 minute interview and they asked a lot of questions.

From the getgo, their communication was leaving something to be desired. They are unorganized, and it is obvious. Training for the job is 6 weeks long, in North Sydney. They were not clear about what we needed to bring with us. Some people were given information that others were not. We were also given wrong information.

The hotel is great, for the most part, the training was fun and I learned a lot and met great people. However, there was a lack of communication the entire time. The people in charge of training did not have accurate information. You get paid for training, but it takes A LONG time for the first payment. Keep in mind, you are expected to pay for all of your meals almost every day out of pocket, and you get reimbursed after. As a student, this was ridiculous. We were told beforehand that we could get the food stipend upfront, but when we arrived, we were told this was impossible. Myself and quite a few others were completely broke and had arguments with management about paycheques. The training team took ages to send out the paycheques. It was a constant back and forth between us and our trainers.

Our training team told us it was going to be a very busy summer, and we would all likely be called to work on the first day our contract starts, July 1. They said we would probably all have a hard
 - more...
Pros
Extensive training, fun and exciting work environment
Cons
lack of communication, no hours, long hiring process
A very good company to work in that they sincerely care about their employees safety, health and well being, providing comprehensive safety and upgrade training.
Pros
Job security and comprehensive training.
Cons
N/a
Amazing co workers, always ready to help or answer any questions you have. Cheif Stewards are on top of everything and will take the time to go over everything with you as well. I recommend Marine Atlantic to anyone.
The dedication to shift work is challenging (12 hour days, 15 days/month) but worth it. The starting pay and benefits are generous and you get to meet interesting people.
Cons
Long hours, away from home
Every day was different and by this, i acquired various ways of handling different conflicts or issues.

Hardest part was being away from family during family celebrations.

Most enjoyable part for me was meeting so many wonderful staff as well as passengers.
My job as a deckhand would consist of 6 hrs on then 6 hrs off.During our working hours we would maintain a vigilant watch, fire patrol and deck patrol.Mooring and unmooring the vessel. Routine maintenance such as painting, sand blasting ,grinding the decks and some cleaning. Since it was a passenger vessel you would live with your co-worker for 2-4 weeks at a time. You get to know fellow workers on a personal level and develop great friendships. The company offered great food and an exercise facility.the only downfall is anyone with children tend to miss out on a lot.
Pros
Great food provided
Cons
away from home for extended periods
Again great job but poor management skills from company and also no chance to move up in the company all management jobs are filled from outside people
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with
Cons
Poor management
I have worked there for almost a year and never dull, always a new and different challenge. Lots of opportunities to learn and get involved in Strategic opportunities if so desire.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with
Cons
North Sydney NS is not a hot spot to live
great job poor management.
there is not a lot to tell its a pay check

they have no respect for employees.

its all smoke and mirrors for the public eye.
Marine Atlantic is a great place to work, The pay is extremely competitive and the benefits are among the best in Canada. There are many different positions that you can work on the vessels and on shore, Moving from one department to another is possible so you can easily have a change of pace or scenery if you feel it's needed, The management is great to work for and very "open door" if you have any issues that need resolving. The work environment can vary from easy going to fast paced depending on your position. Over all, Marine Atlantic is a great company to work for,
Pros
Great pay and benefits, training is paid for, great opportunities for advancement, you get to meet interesting people.
Cons
Long hours and hard work
I enjoyed working down there and meeting new people, the staff were great very understanding. Always busy, there was lots to do and the staff were great.
Pros
free food
Cons
I would like a position where it keeps me challenged everyday and will benefit my skills on a daily basis.
benefits
Cons
Late evenings
I enjoyed working for Marine Atlantic. Travelling on the ferries, there was always something new happening everyday. I enjoyed working in the fast paced environment and always having a goal to meet.