MARINE ATLANTIC Employee Reviews

Very good company to work for.
Marine Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  North Sydney, NS13 November 2018
A very good company to work in that they sincerely care about their employees safety, health and well being, providing comprehensive safety and upgrade training.
Pros
Job security and comprehensive training.
Cons
N/a
Amazing co workers.
Assistant Steward & Cook (Current Employee) –  North Sydney, NS24 October 2018
Amazing co workers, always ready to help or answer any questions you have. Cheif Stewards are on top of everything and will take the time to go over everything with you as well. I recommend Marine Atlantic to anyone.
Pleasant place to work
BILINGUAL ASSISTANT STEWARD (Former Employee) –  Port aux Basques, NL30 September 2018
The dedication to shift work is challenging (12 hour days, 15 days/month) but worth it. The starting pay and benefits are generous and you get to meet interesting people.
Cons
Long hours, away from home
No two days were alike
Chief Steward Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Sydney, NS5 April 2018
Every day was different and by this, i acquired various ways of handling different conflicts or issues.

Hardest part was being away from family during family celebrations.

Most enjoyable part for me was meeting so many wonderful staff as well as passengers.
friendly environment , team atmosphere
Seaman/Deckhand (Former Employee) –  North Sydney, NS23 March 2018
My job as a deckhand would consist of 6 hrs on then 6 hrs off.During our working hours we would maintain a vigilant watch, fire patrol and deck patrol.Mooring and unmooring the vessel. Routine maintenance such as painting, sand blasting ,grinding the decks and some cleaning. Since it was a passenger vessel you would live with your co-worker for 2-4 weeks at a time. You get to know fellow workers on a personal level and develop great friendships. The company offered great food and an exercise facility.the only downfall is anyone with children tend to miss out on a lot.
Pros
Great food provided
Cons
away from home for extended periods
Great job to work but poor management
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Port aux Basques, NL4 July 2017
Again great job but poor management skills from company and also no chance to move up in the company all management jobs are filled from outside people
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with
Cons
Poor management
A great Federal Government Agency for those looking for long term opportunities
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  North Sydney, NS27 December 2016
I have worked there for almost a year and never dull, always a new and different challenge. Lots of opportunities to learn and get involved in Strategic opportunities if so desire.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with
Cons
North Sydney NS is not a hot spot to live
its a job
Stevedore (Current Employee) –  toronto24 June 2015
great job poor management.
there is not a lot to tell its a pay check
they have no respect for employees.
its all smoke and mirrors for the public eye.
Fun and exciting place to work with great pay and benefits.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  St Johns, NL24 April 2015
Marine Atlantic is a great place to work, The pay is extremely competitive and the benefits are among the best in Canada. There are many different positions that you can work on the vessels and on shore, Moving from one department to another is possible so you can easily have a change of pace or scenery if you feel it's needed, The management is great to work for and very "open door" if you have any issues that need resolving. The work environment can vary from easy going to fast paced depending on your position. Over all, Marine Atlantic is a great company to work for,
Pros
Great pay and benefits, training is paid for, great opportunities for advancement, you get to meet interesting people.
Cons
Long hours and hard work
great place to work but very long hours
Counter Clerk/Waitress/Cook (Former Employee) –  North Sydney, NS7 April 2015
I enjoyed working down there and meeting new people, the staff were great very understanding. Always busy, there was lots to do and the staff were great.
Pros
free food
Productive Workplace
Ticket Clerk (Current Employee) –  Argentia, NL3 August 2014
I would like a position where it keeps me challenged everyday and will benefit my skills on a daily basis.
benefits
Cons
Late evenings
Fast paced environment with strong support from managment
Assistant Steward (Current Employee) –  North Sydney , NS9 April 2014
I enjoyed working for Marine Atlantic. Travelling on the ferries, there was always something new happening everyday. I enjoyed working in the fast paced environment and always having a goal to meet.
Stevedore (Current Employee) –  North Sydney, NS13 February 2014
Marine Atlantic is a great place to work. This company puts safety as its top priority, which is the way it should be because everyone wants to make it home in one piece at the end of the day.

A typical day would consist of donning the appropriate PPE. (reflective coveralls, hardhat, safety boots, earplugs, gloves) and "catching the boat". This term refers to tying up the boat when it arrives at the terminal. After this task is complete, we then board the boat and guide traffic safely out of the terminal. Stevedores are also responsible for lashing/unlashing trailers for safe transport.
Pros
Excellent work environment, wage
Cons
Very few shifts because of lack of seniority (temporary con)
good place to work
Chief Cook & Deck Hand (Former Employee) –  North Sydney, NS13 November 2013
Work 12 hours shifts
Working at sea is a not the same as on land
Meeting all off the travelling public
Good job with good employees
Stevedore (Current Employee) –  north sydney.24 August 2013
Marine Atlantic is a very good place to work, it consists of tying up the vessels and directing traffic, its fun to see the tourists be in awe of how big the ships are. Safety is a huge concern there as we have to consider the public as well as our employees, the best part of the job is the employees, everyone is willing to lend a hand whenever needed. I really enjoy working with Marine Atlantic.
Pros
leather couches with satellite t.v when there are no vessels at port.
Cons
waiting on call for work.
I enjoy working on jobs I am trained to do.
Machinist / leadhand (Current Employee) –  North Sydney, NS28 January 2013
A typical day at Marine Atlantic starts with a saftey meeting regarding safe work and job tasks and team assignments.I ensure proper saftey requirments are met and proper tools and equipment are on site , job may be anything from welding pipes , working on deisel engines or machining parts and fabricating equipment for site to ensure all jobs are preformed safely and in a timely manner.
I learn on a daily basis that saftey and communacation are key factors to preform any and all jobs. Management at Marine Atlantic can range from Captians , Chiefs , or shore base supervisers , I have worked with all management levels to preform many different tasks , i also work with many different co-workers from , machinists , millwrights , welders , electricians and ship employees. All employees at Marine Atlantic are highly skilled and great people to work with. The hardest part of my job would be from time to time working in a confined space and fridget weather conditions.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when i complete a machined part I have been assigned to manufacture and knowing it has been machined properly and to the best of my ability.
Pros
pros are knowing i have a steady job to go to everyday, also medical benefits
Cons
the cons of my job would be that there are limitations for advancement within the company.