Marek Hospitality

Marek Hospitality Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Productive workplace with lots of opportunities to interact with customers.
Having worked as a manager with Marek Hospitality, I thoroughly enjoyed my work for 14 years. This is a progressive company with lots of opportunities for career advancement. The work is challenging but rewarding. This company caters to high end clients and customers who have high expectations and all employees are required to follow company standards to ensure service excellence.
Good and pleasant work place.
The place is a conducive environment. It's a place to learn new things and also show the previous experience. There's little or no supervision. There's room for growth.
terminates job a day before probation ended.
makes you work all kinds of hours. makes u jump though hoops. the only fulltime employees they have there have been there for years. they make u believe you will be there permentaly then they terminate your job with out giving you an explainaton on why they firing you. horrible place.
False Promises and Job Security
This job gives false hope that you'll have full time hours and just before your probation period is up your hours get cut and you no longer have security. They work you so hard that you're exhausted use you until they don't need you anymore then they replace you. Just another head in this place.
One of the worst places you could work at
Marek oakville.ON is the worst workplace ive seen by far, starbucks management is so unprofessional and clueless. Basically a child is managing the store
Fun entertaining
Great place to work in hospital setting
Enjoyed all different aspects

Would go back in a heart beat flexible hours great employees and employers

Not stressful
Stay away from Scugog Island
Management is a joke. Stay after shift every night to get everything done. Food testing improperly done, told to just "do random sample" doing all testing doesnt matter. Not enough support staff to do job well. Supervisors set up to fail
Run far and fast
The company is going through growing pains right now. But that means its cutting out its management team and closing a lot of locations. Head office is so removed from reality and the guys on the ground are so bitter and worn down that they're utterly exhausting to be around. The expectation of "work until the job is done" isn't viable any more. I shouldn't be sold the idea of a salaried position as 40ish hours, and have to work 50+ hours a week only to still fall behind at the end.

Chaos is the name of the game. The company doesn't keep any of its decent people as it either lays them off or runs them into the ground.

Communication is horrible as nothing rolls down properly.

The Admin and Support teams are too small to be effective and too full of themselves to be anything less than exhausting.

The company is a joke, it's managers are jokes, its head office team are jokes. Don't even bother.
Pros
Traumatic Stress induced napping on the weekend
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Marek Hospitality?
Good benefits
Takes care of their associates. Has a friendly environment. Compassionate and understanding. Customer satisfaction. Health and safety top of mind. Proper food handling.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fast paced
Was there 12 years so it says a lot about the company
Was a great work place dealing with the many different people on a daily bases.
The parent company ( Marek) allowed us free reign as long as we remained on track and on budget and were supportive in all things
Pros
Retirement Program, medical and dental, parking and up grading classes and courses
Cons
Great place to work. Great environment with friendly and professional staff. Manager was an amazing person.

Typical day included opening breakfast area for morning rush. Attending office duties such as incoming catering orders. Sometimes we had same day deadlines. Client would request a rush catering order with a couple of hours and i had to make sure it was prepared and served as requested.

The most enjoyable part of this was meeting different individuals and becimung friends with most of them.
busy but fun workplace
busy but fun place to work at. coworkers were nice and friendly, patient with new employees. management were also nice and friendly but strict with new employees
management needs more education
does not accommodate to employees over works employees management hides in office people who want to excel are not given a fair chance they do not follow health and regulations they allow people to steal from company
Busy but fun
The thrill of serving anywhere from 200 up to 1200 employees in a thirty minute time period is always exciting. It's a whirlwind of a day but very satisfying.
Toxic work environment.
I worked with Marek in Ottawa. I found it to be mostly a negative experience. I was rarely paid any over time that I worked and found the manager to be very aggressive, particularly towards female staff.
Not what I was hired for
I was hired for a cook position as a trained cook and then pushed to a cashier position because of over staffing. This had nothing to do with my skills or abilities as I am a much more qualified and confident cook than cashier.
Productive and fun place to work
I Joined this company as catering coordinator and moved up to the position of an Asst catering manager. I have learned a lot about catering and also event planning along with budgeting, labor, and food cost control over the years. The work culture is very diverse and the management is great.
Back Stabbing
the main issue there is the manager is not running the show, it is one of his eyes and ears in the kitchen area, the german one is the rabble rouser, I saw this first hand as a hired chef.
Pros
Cons
idiots in life training
Busy and fun large workplace.
A typical work day was busy and enjoyable. I interacted with many different people whether they were co-workers, doctors, nurses, patients, visitors and staff of the hospital and learned much about their cultures and their jobs. The job was very demanding and you have to be very adaptable as you may have to help out in an area you normally do not work in but everyone was helpful and appreciative including management. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with all of the customers.
Pros
Free food and nice work environment.
Cons
Not enough hours.
It was a very lively and fun environment to work in! I loved working in the Hospital environment!
Being able to work in the Hospital environment it gave me a chance to interact with all sorts of patients with different health issues whom I always,found a way to make them smile and feel better! That gives me great satisfaction!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Night shift
flexible to individual needs
great company to acquire/learn additional skills since it is an in the early to middle stages of growing towards a larger corporation.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marek Hospitality. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9