Marek Hospitality Employee Reviews

Run far and fast
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2019
The company is going through growing pains right now. But that means its cutting out its management team and closing a lot of locations. Head office is so removed from reality and the guys on the ground are so bitter and worn down that they're utterly exhausting to be around. The expectation of "work until the job is done" isn't viable any more. I shouldn't be sold the idea of a salaried position as 40ish hours, and have to work 50+ hours a week only to still fall behind at the end.

Chaos is the name of the game. The company doesn't keep any of its decent people as it either lays them off or runs them into the ground.

Communication is horrible as nothing rolls down properly.

The Admin and Support teams are too small to be effective and too full of themselves to be anything less than exhausting.

The company is a joke, it's managers are jokes, its head office team are jokes. Don't even bother.
Pros
Traumatic Stress induced napping on the weekend
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
Was there 12 years so it says a lot about the company
Chef/Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2018
Was a great work place dealing with the many different people on a daily bases.
The parent company ( Marek) allowed us free reign as long as we remained on track and on budget and were supportive in all things
Pros
Retirement Program, medical and dental, parking and up grading classes and courses
Cons
Catering Co-ordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 October 2018
Great place to work. Great environment with friendly and professional staff. Manager was an amazing person.

Typical day included opening breakfast area for morning rush. Attending office duties such as incoming catering orders. Sometimes we had same day deadlines. Client would request a rush catering order with a couple of hours and i had to make sure it was prepared and served as requested.

The most enjoyable part of this was meeting different individuals and becimung friends with most of them.
busy but fun workplace
Front cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2018
busy but fun place to work at. coworkers were nice and friendly, patient with new employees. management were also nice and friendly but strict with new employees
management needs more education
Server (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 May 2018
does not accommodate to employees over works employees management hides in office people who want to excel are not given a fair chance they do not follow health and regulations they allow people to steal from company
Busy but fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON10 May 2018
The thrill of serving anywhere from 200 up to 1200 employees in a thirty minute time period is always exciting. It's a whirlwind of a day but very satisfying.
Toxic work environment.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 January 2018
I worked with Marek in Ottawa. I found it to be mostly a negative experience. I was rarely paid any over time that I worked and found the manager to be very aggressive, particularly towards female staff.
Not what I was hired for
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 January 2018
I was hired for a cook position as a trained cook and then pushed to a cashier position because of over staffing. This had nothing to do with my skills or abilities as I am a much more qualified and confident cook than cashier.
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Catering Manager Services (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 October 2017
I Joined this company as catering coordinator and moved up to the position of an Asst catering manager. I have learned a lot about catering and also event planning along with budgeting, labor, and food cost control over the years. The work culture is very diverse and the management is great.
Back Stabbing
chef (Former Employee) –  guelph hospital22 February 2017
the main issue there is the manager is not running the show, it is one of his eyes and ears in the kitchen area, the german one is the rabble rouser, I saw this first hand as a hired chef.
Pros
Cons
idiots in life training
Busy and fun large workplace.
Cash/Front End Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton Civic Hospital25 November 2016
A typical work day was busy and enjoyable. I interacted with many different people whether they were co-workers, doctors, nurses, patients, visitors and staff of the hospital and learned much about their cultures and their jobs. The job was very demanding and you have to be very adaptable as you may have to help out in an area you normally do not work in but everyone was helpful and appreciative including management. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with all of the customers.
Pros
Free food and nice work environment.
Cons
Not enough hours.
It was a very lively and fun environment to work in! I loved working in the Hospital environment!
Front counter customer service (Former Employee) –  Oakville Trafalgar Hospital26 September 2016
Being able to work in the Hospital environment it gave me a chance to interact with all sorts of patients with different health issues whom I always,found a way to make them smile and feel better! That gives me great satisfaction!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Night shift
flexible to individual needs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 April 2016
great company to acquire/learn additional skills since it is an in the early to middle stages of growing towards a larger corporation.
Not a fun place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 March 2016
I work for this company in the hospital in Guelph too much drama with the co workers fighting and tattling on each other it is worse then a day care. It time that they grow up and start acting like adults.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Not enough hours and alot if drama from co workers and bosses
Marek Hospitality
Cook (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 December 2014
Presently working at this company Part time; I have been working here for four months as a cook. Marek Hospitality is know for catering food for local hospitals, and I am responsible for preparing, cooking meals. I am looking for more work hours to supplement my current salary.
Pros
good people
Cons
lack of work hours
Productive and fun workplace
Baker (Current Employee) –  Sudbury22 March 2014
Working for Marek Hospitality is a really good company to work for. They're friendly and always make sure that everyone's needs and concerns are addressed in a professional manner. However there is a lot of drama involved with the staff out in the front that serves the customers which I find to be unprofessional and probably the hardest part of the job because there is no excuse for grown ups to be acting like children.
The management team for this company is probably one of the best management teams i have ever worked under. They make work fun and enjoyable and do not take sides for anyone on anything.
The company that I work for is called Marek Hospitality and they own the Tim Hortons in the hospital in Sudbury and every Wednesday there is this elderly man that comes into the Tim Hortons in the hospital and orders 12 cinnamon buns each and every time. When he comes into the Tim Hortons line up and I see him in line I make sure that this man knows that I seen him and acknowledged him and turn around and go to the kitchen and make him twelve fresh cinnamon buns just for him. The smile on his face because somebody took the time to make his visit that much more enjoyable and probably the best part of my work day.
Pros
free food
Cons
drama
a nice place to work
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2013
a nice place to work, management is awesome, the wage isn't so bad.
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Cons
Non