March of Dimes Canada Management reviews

Homophobic Work Environment, Abusive Management
Rehabilitation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 June 2019
I loved working in March of Dimes I still am in touch with old coworkers and still refer to things I learned about acquired brain injury several years later.

Those old coworkers, no one works there anymore. Everyone left them around the same time I left.

At the time I worked there we had managers who were outright abusive. Call you in a building that everyone knows has no reception if they can't reach you you're accused of not being at work.

I had coworkers who were picking up the same shifts I picked up, doing the exact same work. They paid them $14 an hour, they paid me $20. Because I had "more education" was the explanation they were given.

Was working in the Fee For Service program. They bill clients $50 per hour, and pay frontline staff the minimum saying the rest goes for administrative fees.

March Of Dimes say they are a not for profit, yet their fee for service program bill insurance companies out of their noses.

During my time there the Chief Financial Officer of March of Dimes was charged with fraud, we were told not to talk about it.

Had a coordinator who I was reporting to who was pushed out of their job because they developed health issues. We work in Rehab and Recovery, but when we need it ourselves you can forget about it.

There were moments of negligence happening in the building I worked at where someone died because staff were not there. Police came to investigate it and it was ruled out that there was no foul play.

There was a client who I knew off who their staff did the absolute minimum for and were very homophobic with.
  more...

When client attempted talk or access any LGBTQ+ resources March of Dimes discouraged client saying it's "a lifestyle choice".

Pretty sure I made my point with all of this: Don't work there if you're a social worker who wants to keep their soul
Pros
Excellent training and Education on Acquired Brain Injuries
Cons
Management say that being LGBTQ+ is a lifestyle choice, they bill clients $50 an hour, pay you $14
Toxic Environment
PSW (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 June 2019
Some of my coworkers were great, our CSL (person that dealt with health and safety was really good) but the clients, manager and overall work environment was super toxic. The clients got away with murder, the clients were often very unkind or demanding to staff, had habits that were detrimental to their health or ours, and the clients would often try to get to staff in trouble out of sheer boredom.

I had some amazing co-workers but two were infamous for trying to sow discord but were kept on despite the office knowning that they purposefully caused trouble. Honestly though not even my toxic co workers ever really had anything nice to say about their place of work. No one really seemed happy there except the office staff.

I worked part time and had very open availability but only got about 15 hours a week, if anything at all.

My manager was also friends with some higher ups and I had heard stories that her friendship with her boss meant that complaints about her werent taken seriously. I never felt safe complaining to higher ups about my manager because I was worried Id get in trouble.

Miserable, depressing, unsafe and toxic. By FAR the worst place I ever worked. Just miserable all around. Would highly recommend not working here.
Pros
Some very dedicated co workers
Cons
Toxic, bad management, awful clients
Productive and Creative workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 March 2019
Typically, the day starts with a pre-meeting before heading out to meet the clients, where we deliver a preplanned program before ending with a post-meeting to discuss the program that was offered as well as clients reactions to it. Learned a lot of skills that i may have not otherwise acquired. Learned critical time management skills during my time there as I had to manage my education and the work.
Horrible place
Psw (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 February 2019
Horrible place to work, management is AWFUL head office is even worse they do not care about there employees will give more hours to a horrible worker because they can work "fast" they never appreciate anything you do.

Only good thjng amazing clients &good benifits
Pros
Amazing clients good benifits
Cons
Long hours not appreciated
Horrible
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 January 2019
Management is horrible and people talk behind your back and make issues for you. Horrible pay and lots of work. You don’t get credit for anything right that you do. Never for work for them. Tim hortons is better than this place.
Pros
Cons
Management, no pay raises
Chaotic
Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2019
Management is Dictatorship style, They have a complete inability to honour morals, work ethic or basic human rights. I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Unsupportive Management
Psw
PSW (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON Burlington20 August 2018
Horrible “management” rude and condescending to frontline staff. Very heavy work load. Just don’t care about service on any level, poor pay for the expectations.
Under educated staff as promotions are given only to friends
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Use your own car, uncaring.
All about covering up the horrible things going on
Rehabilitation Worker/Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON28 June 2018
Horrible place to work. The supervisor is useless. Stays in the office and never leaves to actually see what's happening. Never knows about any of the issues going on.
Consumers are not taken care of properly. Weekly they are not getting their medication. Broken equipment. Untrained staff. Consumers safety is regularly at risk.

When you bring up your concerns, they get swept under the rug and you're made to be the one treated as though you're making stuff up.
No staff is an understatement. Never enough staff to work properly. There is zero rehabilitation actually happening.
Universal precautions are rarely followed when it comes to soiled linen and clothing.

They are a mess but they'll do everything they can to make it appear as though they aren't...and that includes firing anyone who poses a risk to blowing the whistle.

The consumers themselves are the best part of the job!
Pros
Consumers
Cons
Everything besides the consumers
Ssa
PSW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2018
Horrible environment. Condescending and combative “management “ very unprofessional. Very difficult workload and poor pay.
Staff are backstabbers, greedy
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Too many to list
Good company to work for
Home Support Exercise Program Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, ON12 May 2018
Good company to work for, good training sessions. Good management. I have lots of independence running the exercise program. The salary for the SSA PSW workers are a fair rate.
Upsetting
Support Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON21 March 2018
HORRID management at the King street site.... condescending, rude, not trustworthy or understanding.
Some staff bully new employees.
The actual job itself is great. When your not constantly feeling like every shift your bound to get dumped on for doing something wrong. feeling of stress anytime the boss is in the office ... can't feel good about doing your actual job... stressful
Productive and fun working environment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON17 March 2018
I don't even know where to start regarding March of Dimes, another great company to work for, great staff, great management, great clients, another great warm environment
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
none at all
n/a
Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 March 2018
I love working at this workplace. love the environment
flexible work hours, management is great. very considerate
very respectful
good commutation skills
Uneducated workers, uncaring
SSA (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 February 2018
The workers undermined by management.
No creditials are required, high staff turnover and back stabbing staff and malicious management.
Never does anything legally, reckless and unsafe work environment
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Crazy hours, low pay, admin has no clue what to do
MODC is engaging on National Expansion
REGIONAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 February 2018
Overall a very fair employer. National Expansion is struggling and the company wanted to go in a different direction than my job skills.
The hardest part of the job was working in isolation and the lack of communication.
Pros
35 hours a week. Allow you to work independently.
Cons
very poor communication.
Good company, great training
Team Leader - CVVRS (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
- good training, management proactive and very approachable. Working for challenged and disabled contents.
- Excellent benefits, free parking at most locations
Amazing place to work!
Community Support Lead (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 October 2017
MODC is an amazing company to work for. The people are so amazing, and management I mean you couldn't ask for more flexible and dependable managers. I miss working there for sure!
Fu and productive
Support Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON29 August 2017
I had fun working with this company. Its the best agency Ive worked with so far in this carreer. The management , staff are so understanding. They provided a very good training.
Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 August 2017
Wonderful staff. Helpful and informative. Team players who care for the consumers. The shifts are of perfect length and management is always willing to listen and help.
Pros
Benefits/pension
Great team!
SPECIAL EVENTS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2017
Despite low pay (it was a contract, student-level position), the team was very supportive and management was genuinely enthusiastic about your success!