MARCH OF DIMES CANADA Employee Reviews

Great team, company and people
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Thorold, ON27 April 2018
great company to work for. good pay and benefits. Many different programs and room for advancement. Training is always offered.
The hardest part of this job is seeing people suffer or struggle . The best part is being in the postion to help them.
Pros
no set hours
Cons
using your own vehicle
Good company to work for
Home Support Exercise Program Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, ON12 May 2018
Good company to work for, good training sessions. Good management. I have lots of independence running the exercise program. The salary for the SSA PSW workers are a fair rate.
Psw
PSW (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON Burlington20 August 2018
Horrible “management” rude and condescending to frontline staff. Very heavy work load. Just don’t care about service on any level, poor pay for the expectations.
Under educated staff as promotions are given only to friends
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Use your own car, uncaring.
No room for advancement
Rehabilitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON27 August 2018
March of dimes was a fun place to work if you have the right co-workers and because you work so closely and as a team, it is important to have the right people.
I enjoyed working for this company however there was no room for advancement. I was part-time and I was not going to move up anytime soon.
Pros
Clients were awesome
Cons
No room for advancement
All about covering up the horrible things going on
Rehabilitation Worker/Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON28 June 2018
Horrible place to work. The supervisor is useless. Stays in the office and never leaves to actually see what's happening. Never knows about any of the issues going on.
Consumers are not taken care of properly. Weekly they are not getting their medication. Broken equipment. Untrained staff. Consumers safety is regularly at risk.

When you bring up your concerns, they get swept under the rug and you're made to be the one treated as though you're making stuff up.
No staff is an understatement. Never enough staff to work properly. There is zero rehabilitation actually happening.
Universal precautions are rarely followed when it comes to soiled linen and clothing.

They are a mess but they'll do everything they can to make it appear as though they aren't...and that includes firing anyone who poses a risk to blowing the whistle.

The consumers themselves are the best part of the job!
Pros
Consumers
Cons
Everything besides the consumers
Worst place to work.
Support service attendant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON12 May 2017
Niagara area, thorold staff
Worked in HUB
They treat you like garbage
coworkers constantly are trying to get you fired. You're overworked and underpaid. Put wear as tear on vehicles with minimal compensation.
If you get hurt at work, they will harass you and demand you do anything and everything they want whether reasonable or not.

The thorold staff are absolutely horrible.

They don't work with consumers and are rude

Your managers treat you poorly

Part time gets the bad shifts, most difficult consumers and least flexibility.
Pros
Great consumers, even difficult consumers warm up to you.
Cons
Treated like garbage, dumped first chance they get, overworked, mistreated, will harass you.
Working for a great cause
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2018
March Of Dimes is a company that you feel great working for. They are here to help people in need and provide better lives for those in their programs and care. You come to work and go home from work feel like you have done something good with your day.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Low Pay
Good company, great training
Team Leader - CVVRS (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
- good training, management proactive and very approachable. Working for challenged and disabled contents.
- Excellent benefits, free parking at most locations
Home Care
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 October 2018
For a homecare company, they were good. You had to look up your assignments the night before and some information regarding patients were lacking. Would get confusing when patients had the same names and you had to figure out who you were supposed to see.
veterants Affairs
Assistant for Veteran Can Vet (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 October 2018
I loved it there best place in the world to work, the boss and co-worker and respectful and considerate, attention to detail is very important there, the work place is a clean and safe environment.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
there is none
Its a sad place
ABI Rehabilitation Worker (Former Employee) –  York Region12 August 2016
Management does not care about consumers or the staff. It was unfortunate to see and experience it first hand. Turn over of staff is unprecedented, but middle management still does not care to explore why - consumers are definitely affected by this.
Workers are pushed to do more that they are qualified to do, sometimes more, sometimes less. Misleading title - I can say there was nothing rehabilitative about this place.
Best part of the job is hanging out with the clients, worst part is understanding how bad the service is, politics and pay (great benefits though).
Team work is great if you click with the coworkers and work exceptionally hard.
Expecting to be appreciated for your work is a waste of time. If you are passionate about helping people, this is not where you should be.
Pros
Awesome consumers
Cons
Everything outlined in the review
March of Dimes
Job Skills Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 August 2018
Positive atmosphere
supportive employer
Satisfying
Work as a team
Work with a wide population of clients
something new everyday
Training always available
Excellent employer. Management stands by their employees.
Service Support Attendant (Current Employee) –  Haldimand County, ON20 December 2015
I have worked here as a SSA for 6 years. Treated very well, am respected and feel like I count in the organization. Well paid, excellent conflict resolution system. I like the independence of my position knowing I have management support and backup. Staff management meetings are well run and coworkers always friendly and fun. I have done very well here. The hardest part of my job is the lack of job security. I have lost 4 consumers just this year which reduced my pay to half. I don't understand how there is so little work for us here in a large town where other agencies are swamped. The most enjoyable part is I feel that I am a valuable and well compensated employee for the service and heart I put into my work each day.
Pros
Employment in my home town, well paid with travel time and good mileage compensation. Conflict resolution process is excellent.
Cons
Lack of job security and lack of consumers.
Great Place to Work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 August 2018
Loved Working for March of Dimes. Great supportive staff. Lots of work and decent pay. I had a steady client list and was able to pick up extra work if I wanted to.
Pros
Supportive Staff
Cons
Wages low
All around a vary rewarding job!
Support Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Haldimand County, ON3 July 2017
I enjoy working in this field and for this company. I work with seniors and the disabled. As a home care worker this job provides a different work environment on a daily basis. I have built a healthy working relationship with my consumers that makes each one special. Caring for them has been a treat. Working with a multi-disciplinary team has been a positive experience for myself. My colleagues are more than helpful. The pay and benefits are just a perk.
Great, excellent work environment with Wellness and Fitness Testing
Support Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridges12 March 2018
Great company to work with. A lot of opportunities to upgrade and learn. Great corporate culture and opportunity to grow. The most difficulty about this job is, rain or shine, you have to be ready to go to the consumers home. The most enjoyable part of the job is good benefit and a defined pension.
Ssa
PSW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2018
Horrible environment. Condescending and combative “management “ very unprofessional. Very difficult workload and poor pay.
Staff are backstabbers, greedy
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Too many to list
Upsetting
Support Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON21 March 2018
HORRID management at the King street site.... condescending, rude, not trustworthy or understanding.
Some staff bully new employees.
The actual job itself is great. When your not constantly feeling like every shift your bound to get dumped on for doing something wrong. feeling of stress anytime the boss is in the office ... can't feel good about doing your actual job... stressful
Support Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 August 2017
Wonderful staff. Helpful and informative. Team players who care for the consumers. The shifts are of perfect length and management is always willing to listen and help.
Pros
Benefits/pension
Challenging and rewarding role
National Manager Employment Services - East Canada (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC9 October 2014
Learned much of the diverse operations of a Not-For-Profit and its intricate and sometimes complex systems.

The most rewarding part of the job is establishing those collaborative relationships which resulted in the changing and benefits to a or several person's lives.

The position allowed for my talent as a program manager with strong strategic planning to shine through. The results of these have become known on a national front.
Pros
Played a part in history
Cons
N/a