Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment

Canada218 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

Experience Working at MLSE

Experience is fair.Hours are long & stressful at the same time.Loads of work to be done with working on a cross-functional team by being productive.Training are usually by either the manager or employees (most of the time does) who has experience & being with the department longer.

It's been awhile

It has been awhile but the people are nice. The job obviously had it's benefits. However management is to concerned with money and making sure they make it and making sure you don't share it. Eventually their pettiness gets Waring and it's sad they don't just leave employees to do their job instead of always worrying that saying something nice might empower someone.

Insights into Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose

Looks Good on a Resume

I've been with the company for almost 10 years. Once you're locked into that FT contract there are no salary increases besides 2% every September. This would be fine but their starting salary isn't competitive. There is no retention strategy at MLSE besides the name MLSE which is associated with money..You'll be burned out in 2-3 years and leave to find a higher paying salary for the same or higher position elsewhere. There will be 100s of people waiting to replace you though. That's their company strategy, hire low salary, overwork until resignation, and repeat.

Pros

Tickets, Swag, Discounts, Half Day Summer Fridays

Cons

Low Salary, Poor Work Culture, No Overtime Pay

It's a ok job if you are a student

I worked for the company Part-time when I was in college and the flexibility of being able to pick my shifts according to my availability was really convenient.As a Part-time you'd probably only earn minimum wage or a little higher than that but don't expect much about that.

Pros

Flexible shifts according to your availability

Cons

Wage very low

Amazing place to work

Exciting, vibrant place to work. The venues are clean and well set up and the entertainment and sports are exhilarating. Short shifts are a plus. Coworkers are great to work with.

Pros

Short shifts. Food discounts.

Cons

Parking is scarce and/or expensive.

Good for student

A lot of part-time jobs but mostly night shift working hours ( 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM) and seasonal only. Good pay and benefits. Friendly working environment.

Pros

Flexible working schedule

Cons

Minimum working hours required

Supervisor

Management was okay some problems with scheduling Did not like work environment all the time Many employees have been here for a long time (concessions)

Unreal experience

Loved this environment, had when working during school since you are not guaranteed hours since its when games/events are therefor some weeks can get tough during exam season esp when you have to travel all the way downtown and that through subway.

Easy going fun place to work at

Very nice part time shop to have good experiences the people are nice to work with the environment is something you'd like to be around. For a part time the wage is good.

Pros

Free Hot Dogs

Good for extra cash

You can't make a living off of this job alone. The majority of employees are part-timers and have a second job to supplement cost of living. Some good perks for employees; the company tries to create a fun atmosphere.

Atmosphere when engaging with fans & coworkers

I like the environment of what I am doing for work. I'm not so happy about the short hours & the management engagement between the employees & management within the workplace.

Pros

Interacting with Fans & coworkers

Cons

Hours & employee managment engagment

Easy going

They are very flexible with scheduling especially during school. It is a positive environment. However throughout the period of the hiring process it is a long and does take time.

Pros

Easy work place

Cons

short hours

Great organization Poor IT department

The IT team suffers from a lack of strong middle management and leadership. There is an insufficient headcount to support the infrastructure and number of employees, so days are constantly spent patching problems rather then dealing with the root cause. The communication between the individual teams within the IT department is poor causing the team to function as silos rather then a cohesive productive group. This all results in stressful toxic environment. The most enjoyable part of working with the company were the employees outside of the IT group. They are a group driven to 1 common goal which can be demonstrated by the continued success of the organization.

Pros

Good health benefits, opportunity for tickets, bonus structure

Cons

Dysfunctional IT team, poor base salary, no accountability

Very cool atmosphere if you love sports, great hype, lots of action

Was a great temporary job, served its purpose well, I love sports so it was right up my alley. Pay can suck as everyone wants those types of jobs so they can get away with under paying. Our direct tailgate team was great, we were treated well. Not consistent hours though, more of an experience and then you move on.

Pros

food vouchers, snack tent, front row action to entertainment stage, nice people, easy going schedule

Cons

not enough hours, not enough money, when playoffs were over the job was over.

Enjoy working here

Overall, MLSE is a great company, theres many employee benefits but there is a 10% rule which means we are allowed to miss 10% of our shifts. This number can increase drastically as we get required a lot of shifts and as a student it gets hard to balance work and school.

high pressure customer service and a negative job culture

you will face hostile co workers fighting for the top spot in the scheduling of hours and the management will require you to take whatever shift they offer and demand you meet all their requirements while being incredibly quick to punish and belittle workers for small cash errors while favoring employees that are high in the seniority listing. Be prepared to be fired or reprimanded, There are tips that bump up your salary and the pay per hour is good however there are union dues taken off every shift you work and shifts are short and the scheduling is unpredictable. During busy times you are expected to work back to back events and then from May to September you will be lucky to get 1 or 2 shifts a week.very few actual perks and conditions can be brutally hot or cold if you happen to be in a small concession near the kitchen or working any event in the fall and winter at outdoor venues. You may get the fun of being at a game or concert but rarely will you be able to actually experience or see any of these cool things due to being at your concession...enjoy your free hotdog per shift!

Pros

free hotdog and drink per shift - tips can be good - some fun experiences at events

Cons

bad work culture, poor work conditions, unstable hours, bad management

Too many hours, little compensation great staff and fun atmosphere

It's a busy place so lots going on, so work/life balance airs more on the side of work. It's a great high energy work place with a lot of great people, but compensation is lacking and pressure isn't so large turnover is a problem there. The people and the clients were the reason I stayed as long as I did. Culture looks good on the outside, but not so much when you're in it. Great lace to learn when you're young and fresh out of school though. Lots of options to learn within the company and grow your own career, but you'll move on as most do.

Pros

good benefits, great place to make contacts, fun atmosphere.

Cons

long hours, little compensation and stressful.

Great flexible place to work.

The management staff at MLSE is second to none. They're constantly making sure that every employee is doing okay throughout the shift and are very approachable. The wage is very high for a fairly unskilled job. The flexibility of the work schedule is great. You mostly only work the shifts that you sign up for and you are allowed decline 10% of your shifts per year.

Pros

Flexible schedule, high pay

Cons

Intermittent mandatory shifts. Customers can sometimes be belligerent.

Fun work place and Good people

I worked for a short time but I'm glad I worked for a good company, it was my first job after graduating from college. Some people were unprofessional but it was okay..

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hours especially when they go OT

Amazing place to work, everyone is hard working perks: get to watch the games and end of night meals are top notch cons: long hours on your feet as well as some crabby customers

Fun environment if you like sports

Loved working here but hours were too short. On average, 4 hour shifts at ACC and 4.5-6 at Ricoh or BMO field. Wouldn't recommend if your commute to work will be over 1 hour each way. Also, you get to watch the games for free which is a bonus if you love the teams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement