Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Not a bad field sales position
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
Difficult job for a vegan.
MLCF handled the Lysteria outbreak very well. Great CEO. Lots of travel if you're a field sales rep. Good experience.
Very organize company
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2018
Very busy and demanding place to work. I learned to work to be consistent and work fast. great manages and support very friendly going. the hardest part of the job when orders was not done by shippers on time for drivers to deliver the product, the most enjoyable part of job when delivery was competed on time and customer call how happy he was .
Great organization
HR/Health & Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 February 2018
Lots of opportunities to progress your career. Supportive management team. Food safety training and adherence was first and foremost. Learned a lot
Pros
learning opportunities
Cons
lack of consistent policies for entire organization
Great company to work for
National Retail Field Sales Communication Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 February 2018
Quick pace with lots to learn!
Fast dynamics
Must be a quick thinker
Great team management
They also have a great performance reporting system and it has been working for them
I dearly loved this job.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2018
I loved everything about this job, but I didn’t have enough seniority when the company cut jobs in our department. I loved working outdoors. I loved doing hard manual labour. I loved being far away from civilization. I have always loved trains and railroading.
Pros
Outdoors. Hard physical labor. Far away from civilization.
Cons
Lack of job security.
Maple Leaf Food is a leading Food is a leading meat food manufacturing Industries in North America
Production Planner (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 February 2018
Maple Leaf Food is believe in Safety, Quality, Cost and Productivity. Very safe, secure and eco friendly workplace. Employees are treated with full of respect.
Pros
Free Coffee, Tea, Hot chocolate, Fresh and hot sup.
Fun place to work
Processor (Former Employee) –  Thamesford, ON31 January 2018
I enjoyed working here because the people were fun to work with. In the summertime we had employee bbq's with fifty fifty tickets. If we had to work a Saturday we would get donuts at break.
Great Company
Senior Demand Planner (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 January 2018
Great company to work for. Work life balance is great; amazing people to work with; room for process improvement initiatives and those are welcomed; overall great work place.
I miss my old co workers
maltivac operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 January 2018
The people were great , management was great got lost of over time when I wanted it . I miss everyone it was like family. Too bad they closed to plant now the quality is not their . I do not buy anything that has their logo on they package goods I threw out because of poor quality now they sell it
Pros
over time bonus checks
Cons
they shut the plant down
No work hours security
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2018
The hours of work in the manufacturing is not guaranteed even if you are a full-time worker. Needs to improve the system in Safety and Quality. Almost half of the workers are Filipino.
Pros
10 hours per day
Cons
No guaranteed work hours
great place
Robot Operator (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON24 January 2018
great full time hour plus over time too. it was nice and close to my home, so i could spend my free time with my family. the management was also very kind in peples personal time off due to dr, or dentist, or to pick up my son from school.
productive and quanity
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Thamesford, ON22 January 2018
My day is about 8 hours long I monitor all product leaving the plant for quality, proper temps(below 4 c) also do daily swab testing for e-coli and daily swabbing of campy and salmonella.of the poultry that is produced. The best part of my day is also talking to my co-works about different things to pass the day.I think the hardest part of my job is going through product if the Eviseration Line goes into Corrective Measures for fecal on the product and I ave to look at the product and pull it off a moving line to check.
High Stress Environment with Uncertainty
Operations Analyst, IS Services (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 January 2018
Company has gone through many changes that are good and bad. However there is a lot of uncertainty about job security and career advancement. Team sizes have been reduced on a yearly basis and offshoring of departments continues to grow.
Pros
Great managers and leadership
Cons
Job security, stressful environment
Scaring and detrimental to your health as a human being
Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 January 2018
The shifts are not good. They force people to work. The pay is not good. The managment is very incompetent and have no clue what their doing. They discipline for no good cause and in the same hand don't discipline those who deserve to be. UFCW 175 & 663 is the worst union ever hands in the pockets of the company no help to the union members.The only thing good were some of the fellow employees.
Pros
Cons
The pay, The shifts, Disrespectful managment no care of the wellbeing of employees
The Management and people are good
General Labourer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 January 2018
The Management and people are good. They are always smiling though the job is really fast and stressful. The salary is average for the job though. So its an okay but a reaaaally big company
Pros
good management
Cons
average salary
Good pay, but a very challenging place to work
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 January 2018
Working at Maple Leaf isn't for everyone - the pay (at least in management) is above average, but the expectations are very high. Work life balance doesn't exist, and the only way to prove your worth is to spend more and more hours in the office/plant. Flexibility for working from home etc are NOT options, and the overall culture is still very much an old boys club. Getting ahead requires you to "fit the mold" of a maple leaf manager or to have family already in the company to help you move ahead. The culture can be brutal, with unmanageable expectations and little to no praise.

Maple Leaf builds quality people, but unfortunately for them the quality ones learn how to manage and leave the company to prosper elsewhere. The ones who remain long term are negative and very difficult to work with.

Senoir leadership needs to be completely dismantled, but based on the current C level leaders that is never going to happen. The failed leadership continues to pat each other on the back, collect their bonuses and NEVER pay out manager level bonuses.
Pros
Lots of learning potential
Cons
Terrible leadership and culture
intersting experience
MAINTENANCE STOREKEEPER (BUYER) (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB3 January 2018
if you have never worked in a Plant environment its definitely different. you walk in and you don't come out until your shift is over. its a job for hard workers that's forsure
Poor work life balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 January 2018
Operations is very lean - constant headcount reductions and therefore workload is high and work life balance is poor

Very fast-moving - lots of new opportunities for learning and growth

Good culture - not very bureaucratic considering the size of the company
poor leadership
Robotics operator/SME (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 January 2018
The policies and implementation of such policies is very poor. there is a disconnect between the production team and the Senior Leadership. it is unfortunate as there are many great people working her.
Great friendly, family like atmosphere.
Meat Processor (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC11 December 2017
I was in the sanitation/Quality control department so a typical day would generally consist of looking for condensation on the ceiling and wiping it dry. Making Sure room temperatures for coolers and smokehouses were correct.
Pros
Great place to work really nice people.
Cons
The plant was preparing to shut down. It eventually did.