Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Productive and great place for work
Industrial mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 June 2018
Everybody here in this company are very cooperative
They are very sensitive regarding safety , I worked and enjoyed a lot here in maple leaf
Everybody help each other
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
long hours and rotation
not great
Ham Bone (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 June 2018
soul crushing job with no opportunities to advance. it is a great job when you are desperate and its wage kept you along. the physical repetitiveness would break down the body.
Forced overtime
Assembly line Operator (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON31 May 2018
Very cold environment and long hours. Red hats are brutal. Too many clicks there. Forced Saturday overtime and no thanks for it. 4 month probation...not allowed to get sick. Smell in factory makes you I'll.
Benefits
Terrible Upper Management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 May 2018
Too many layoff and poor time management. As well as over working employees. Overtime mandatory for lower seniority workers. Lazy co-workers and poor cleanliness overall. I wouldn't eat the so-called meat that comes out of there.
Professional progressive work-life balance encouraging workplace
Supply Chain Insights Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 May 2018
Like any other professional organization, you get what you put in. Having said that, as a generalization, the company is cognizant of the fundamentals of corporate camaraderie among peers and seniors. Surely a place you look forward to coming to work to.
Pros
Progressive thinking, inclusive attitude
Cons
No steps taken to break silo-thinking
Decent Job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON10 May 2018
The job was alright, worked on a good crew, its the people that made the job great. really good work just wish it paid more other than that i would work there again!
Pros
40 hours a week/weekly pay/great team lead/ good work
Cons
pay could be a little better
People were great
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 May 2018
When I started it was really good but my manager overloaded my work because of personal reasons. I had too much work load and very hard time limit. Basically two jobs
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
Overloaded work to the point that I'm on disability noe
This was one of the best jobs i could ever ask for and wish i could relocate to go back there again.
Assembly line worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 April 2018
This job was a fast paced job and you needed to be alert at all times. Most of it was assembly line work and required skill and patience. I excelled at this place and was very happy with co-workers and staff. Getting paid weekly was also a bonus, it made it easier to keep up with finances.
Pros
always free supper for overtime workers.
Cons
i have no complaints about this place at all
Good Gap Company
Senior Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2018
If you are looking at pumping up your resume this is a good place to do that. But they have little regard to work life balance and often you are shunned if you put in an 8.5 hour 42.5 hour work week.

Worked in 4 facilities for them, first 3 were great but the pace and expectation for the new build were just too much to be reached and set way to high from higher ups. Burn out of Quit are essentially the options.

Much happier where I am now (for less pay)
Pros
Lots of room to move (due to constant turn over)
Cons
Burn out culture.
They are not a bad company.
Meat Handler/Meat Loader (Current Employee) –  440 Glover Rd, Hannon, Ontario11 April 2018
We usually get changed into our plastic uniforms, before going into the freezing halls, because we are dealing with meat products. We load meat into packets to be shipped off to different stores. It is bacically working on an assembly line with handling meat. We work 10 hour days, with Friday’s, Saturdays and Sundays off. We start in the morning at 7:15AM to 5:45PM. We are very vigilant with sanitization. We spray our hands that are covered with plastic gloves with sanitizer every 15 minutes, because as you know of the listeria outbreak from a few years ago. We have team leaders with red hats, that let us know through morning meetings of any safety issues that they want to notify us with. I forgot to mention that we all wear white hats to indicate that we are the main workers on the floor. It is a very big plant, there is a Primary section, a Secondary section, and a Raw Section. The Primary section is mainly the ready to eat section of the plant. The Secondary section is where they package and wrap up and ship all of the boxes to send out to various stores. The Raw section is self explanatory, where they make the meat, and put it altogether. They also have a Weiner’s section where the make and process the wieners.
Pros
The pros are guaranteed weekly hours.
Cons
The Organization is very scattered with management .
ok place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB10 April 2018
nothing to say we all know how it is you just focus on your job task that given by your lead hand and just get your money you can't learn there just make money.
Excellent fellow employees and fun environment (if you can stomach raw meat)
Area Supply (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 April 2018
An overall pleasant experience. I got to work with some of the best people I ever have in my life and I enjoyed going to work everyday. One of the best parts of the job is getting to use electric equipment such as forklifts mostly every day.
Pros
Caring management, breaks are fitting.
Cons
Wearing warm clothes on a 30 degree day to work in 2 degrees sucks a little sometimes, but you get used to it.
fun place to work
Sanitation Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB5 April 2018
great pay. great bonus. Its a good place to work for someone trying to pay school tuition. Awesome place for new comer to Canada especially immigrants.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
assembly line work same task again and again.
Fair
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 April 2018
We are closing what is there to be happy about , There was a time when the place cared about there employees but its all about the dollar . I thankful
Very Bad Experiences Working in This Plant
Semi-skilled worker (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB1 April 2018
Just say no to this job, folks. Whether you are seeking employment in management or as a production worker. The entire facility is one giant crapshoot.

If you need temporary employment for one or two months and have no other option, they will hire you. They hire anyone with a pulse. The turnover rate here is terrible so don't expect to make long term work buddies there.

It is very much production worker versus authority. The things these workers say about management and supervision is astonishing.

One positive thing I can say, the lunch ladies are terrific. They deserve respect.

Finally, do not let them mislead you with respect to their benefits. It is "100% Company Paid" benefits. That does not mean you receive 100% coverage. It just means you don't have to pay for the benefits they offer.
Pros
Cafeteria food, very polite and courteous women who serve your food.
Cons
No energy to do anything after work, terrible wages, incompetent management, proficient manipulators of foreigners from the third world
Old company - young thinking
Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga31 March 2018
Good balance of innovation in a company that has been around a very long time.

Changes in last decade have revitalized share price. But it eliminated opportunities for professional growth.
Pros
Strong share price
Cons
Limited opportunities for professional growth
some great fellow employees
Factory Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 March 2018
awesome work environment, most are very willing to teach and have patients to teach, only draw back are just a couple of women who don't have the time of day or patients to teach and give temps a hard time , on the other hand management seems to be willing to help you deal with said problems
Good for fresh graduate
Food Safety Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 March 2018
Not bad for fresh graduate to get the basic knowledge for food industries, and get the experience then look for a better place.
very old systems not updated with the up to date technology and equipments
Every aspect of working for ML at this site is poor
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 March 2018
I've done a full evaluation of my experience working here
within a substantial amount of time. Besides having a weekly paycheck every aspect is way bellow average. Be aware, have a very quick exit strategy. I am very disappointed in my experience.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Turnover ratio
It's work not a career.
Packaging Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 March 2018
Good work if you are new to Canada a need experience. The last guy who worked at the waste management department passed away. That's why this position is available now.
Pros
Work
Cons
Everyone thinks that they are the boss.