Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

comunist company
raymond reach shipper reciever cold storage (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 June 2019
worked there 5yrs in cold storage as a shipper receiver operating Raymond reach truck loading trucks trailer putting in stock union is a joke company dictates to union what they need to do and who they need to protect
Pros
benifits
Cons
work like a dog, and treat you like pig in slotter house
Weak support from upper management
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 June 2019
Heaven forbid that you become sick or develop a disability because you do not hide it or lie about it, they will terminate you without cause as soon as they can. This from a company that states that they work with people with disabilities. Taking into accord that your department set daily KPI output records without any defects and high quality finished product output, the Production manager tells you that production output numbers do not mean anything. Keeping unprecedented harmony and team work within the department will go recognition whatsoever.
Pros
Working with great plant floor staff
Cons
Upper management does not support due to their own personal agenda
Toxic work environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 June 2019
Pushed and pressured to complete daily orders without proper tools and support.
I have learned how NOT to treat my future employees if I ever create my own business. I have also learned that the dysfunction of the company comes from the top and it corrupts team leaders and other employees.
Most, if not all, of the employees at Maple Leaf are unhappy and hate working for the management team.
The hardest part of working there is how excessively cold the halls are, the machines do not work properly and do not receive proper maintenance and lastly, there is a lot more blame and pressure put on the employees rather than encouragement and recognition.
The people try to find comfort in each other to get through the day. Most of us have good relationships because we work as a team.

Lastly, there is NO training for machine operating. This causes a rippling effect of problems/ injuries.
Productive and fun place to work
Machine Operator/Case Erector/Inspector (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 June 2019
The company has wifi and excellent lunch rooms.

The environment is cold but manageable.
The Lunch rooms are hugh and comfortable.

Good day

Thank you.
Pros
fun people working
Cons
unknown number of hours to work for a week
Productive and demanding.
PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2019
The work was efficient and productive. I was kept on my feet and constantly busy, using my hands and eyes to ensure the food was prepared for customer consumption.
Pros
Two paid breaks, one not.
Cons
Exhaustion, limited bathroom breaks
a funworkplace
meat grinder/mixer (Former Employee) –  saskatoon11 June 2019
i liked working for maple leafs and i learned and gain more experience in learning new things to the process and i was promoted to meat mixer/grinder but i only worked fora while like 5 months and heading off for school taht upcoming year i was working
Terrible
Industrial Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB30 May 2019
More and more worth management, nobody happy with, push and stab back, supervisor only cares about their boss, safety becomes a tool for to fire up staff, like a prison.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Abuse
The place is a joke with the highest turnover rate of employees that I've ever encountered in my lifetime.
Raw Emulsifier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 May 2019
Other than the fact that I enjoyed the actual job that I was doing. there was no part of working at Maple Leaf food that was good management is the worst in my history of working the hours are horrible the turnover rate is highest that I've seen in a long time and I didn't meet one person who could say they enjoy their job at Maple Leaf Foods you will feel suicidal if you stay there.
Cons
the probation time period lame
Loader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 May 2019
You get put on probation at this job site and its 520 hours i believe you if you mess it up they'll let you go probation hats are blue hats non probation is white maybe you might like this job i kind of liked it but some good things come to an end .
Pros
food benefits
Cons
sometimes work overtime
Stepping stone. Don't waste your time
(Heritage) - Operator (Current Employee) –  Hannon, ON24 May 2019
This is a very poor job choice. I've been working with maple leaf for just over three months and honestly this is one of the most disorganized, and poorly managed work environments I've ever had the displeasure of joining. When I was hired I was promised a dream job, with chances of advancement however there was no such thing. The job I was hired to take (and was more than overqualified for) became a seniority squabble, never saw the position, have repeatedly tried to get into the post but constant stonewalling. The employees are lazy and half present, they walk in front, behind,and around your forklift no matter how many times you sound the horn which is not only stressful but poses obvious safety hazzards. Management is incompetent and constantly lies to you, I got hired as many employees were leaving for obvious reasons, but I brushed these naysayers off as disgruntled employees. I was made to work which is granted, it's a job right? My work was never good enough and I barely had any time to relax. They love their lazy people though, as the person I trained to replace me legitimately sleeps on the job right in the open, and treats everyone like a slave, and nobody not even the supervisor does a thing about it hence the terrible leadership. If you work hard they will abuse it. Summer job, don't waste more time than that. I regret staying past the first month as I had prior job offerings that would have ended up being more worthwhile, but live and learn. Hoping to help make an informed decision for a like-minded individual.
Pros
Easy money. If you are lazy, incompetent and don't want a worthwhile, and rewarding career this may be for you.
Cons
Terrible environment, poor management, and sloppy lazy coworkers.
Maintenance Dept
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 May 2019
The worse career experience in my whole life. Toxic working environment,back stabing emails about slightest thing you do without correcting you.
Management and HR play good cop and bad cop if you go and complain to them.
never ever believe what they tell you or ask you to sign any paper , always send emails when complaining because they hide any paper trails and your manager will make false reports about you.

thank GOD i left that place before i become mental.
what is the point of having latest technology if management is backward and only perform low class of acting nice and friendly.
Pros
good benefit, maybe they knew they will make you sick
Cons
nepotism, lienant on discrimentation, deep favorism, ignorant managers who only their to watch over you and rely slightest mistake to HR
packging, labeling and handling
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 May 2019
There is a good environment to work, all the co-workers, supervisors are helpful and cooperative.
It 's a busy place but there is no communication gap between the employs and superiors.
Do not work here
Factory Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2019
Where do I start. Well when I first started working here most co workers were friendly & lovely. Before you enter the plant they give you cheap garbage rubber boots, despite the fact that I brought my own safety boots. They insisted on these rubber boots. In the end I should of refused to wear them because they were killing my feet & making my body tired. The boots practically had no support. One of the managers brought me in the factory. I was clearly uncomfortable with the hanging chickens (which is my fault for accepting a slaughter house job.) He took one of the chicken organs threw it on the floor & stepped on it. When he did this nasty liquid splattered everywhere. I screamed & honesty felt like running out of there. He placed me on the conveyor belt that exported the organs.After all this I felt morally corrupted. I was supporting this barbaric behaviour of animal exploitation. I'm ashamed of myself.
productive and positive work enviornment
Tray Machine Operator / Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Thamesford, ON14 May 2019
A typical day for me consisted of arriving an hour early just in case they needed me somewhere else. I've learned how to keep a level head under what could be seen as stressful situations. I've learned how operate a forklift, how to use a knife to cut product on a line, and how to operate different machines. Also I can take charge when the situation required. I've worked in every department within the facility, and was known by almost everyone. My Management was very pleased with my work ethic and my ability to motivate others I worked with. The hardest part of the job was Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons due to the pick up in pace and massive orders, but for the most part was pleasant for because it kept me busy which in turn made the shift seem to fly-by. I had to travel about 45 mins to work so sometimes the snow made it an unbearable drive. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the versatility I had at my disposal since I was able to perform different tasks so it was almost never a dull week. I also enjoyed the people I worked with and getting to train some of them on some of the jobs.
Pros
overtime in the winter, people and management
Cons
Short breaks, short on hours most weeks
Not a great place to work.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON13 May 2019
Where to begin..constant breakdowns, management seems absolutely clueless, very little communication, send you all over the place..even when you aren't needed there and you can expect to be fired without any reason given and very little instruction on what your suppose to do. So many people there said it was a great place to work but that was never my experience.
Pros
Nice lunchroom
Cons
Too many to list.
Basically don't work here. There is much nicer places for the same pay.
Embrex Operator (Former Employee) –  New Hamburg, ON9 May 2019
Management was horrible while I was there, and apparently still horrible now.

Was fired as a result of absences (I was with my wife who was in the hospital with complications during the birth of our first child)

If you want an employer who will fire you during an incredibly stressful family/medical issue, then work for Maple Leaf.
Pros
Sitting in the truck for hours as a helper.
Cons
Hot, Wet, Stinky, Dirty
good place to work but the pace is usually brisk good co-workers
Tumbler/Injector/Service Person (Current Employee) –  St. Marys, ON5 May 2019
The job starts at 6 am and it is a fast pace but this makes the day go by fast. I have learned to operate many new machines and to do quality control. The management keeps things as stable as possible. As long as you get your job done on time you can interact with coworkers for short intervals. The hardest part of the job is that you have to manage your speed to the size of the chickens. the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with co-workers.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
fast pace
Maple leaf review
Machine Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 April 2019
I personally think that the hours and hard work that you do should be more recognized by the staff but other than that they sometimes do have incentives and there is always overtime so that’s a good thing and there’s some good friendly people that work there as well I like that u can find some good people to work with while doing your job that always makes things easier
Pros
Buys pizza for workers and lots of overtime
Dead end job.
Key Operator (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON30 April 2019
A good job with a steady pay, guaranteed hours and benefits. But terribly dull work environment with safety procedures and training constantly preached but sometimes overlooked.
Repetitive and Monotonous work,
Benefits are good and you should take advantage of since you're making little wage.
Manegment desisions seem to take forever.
Easy to apply for and almost guaranteed hire since lately they've hired pretty much anyone..
HR just sucks.
Constantly mandated for saturdays,
Hard to take time off - even with vacation days.
The food is just okay.,. Best you get are m&m deep dish pies.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Long hours, 6 days a week. low wage.
Dynamic, always fast paced and challenging workplace
SPECIALIST, INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 April 2019
Culturally diverse environment. Daily opportunity to learn and work with dynamic individuals who are passionate about their work. Show a positive work attitude, work hard and be a team player and you will be rewarded.
Pros
Focused on food safety and employee safety
Cons
Need to move around to get promoted