Maple Leaf Consumer Foods
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Maple Leaf Consumer Foods Employee Reviews

Canada802 reviews

Low pay and no room for advancement

If you are working on the lines, there is not room for you to advance within the company. The works is repetitive, and the pay is lower than industry standard.

BAd place to work at

Hate the place, low pay high work ethic. Managers act like gods, wanting you to pick up their slack all the time. Save your time and don't work here.

Insights into Maple Leaf Consumer Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

toxic workenvironment

Work-life balance non existent. Management is driving towards process improvement and cost cutting all the time that any mistake could get you fired.

Not for me

Good training. However big issues with union and how it protected the alcoholics rather than the hard workers.You can do better unless absolutely necessary. The plant in Hamilton is gigantic.

Learn a lot

There is something to learn everyday. It’s a meat processing plant so expect working dirty in some area but overall it’s a good place to get an experience.

rlly good

good job. loved it. good environment. good ppl. would recommend other ppl. Had a nice time when I was there! hence I had no problem! Pays are ok! Loved it there

fast paced

Good job security. As long as you know what you are doing, your job is save, but you could get query if you mess up. The union is a toothless bulldog. they can't protect you.

good place to start

The place is good to work with no Canadian education or experience. But if you would like to study no buddy will change the shift hours for you. You have to be in the right place at right time, strong discipline is preferred. Be happy to do routine all your shift, days, years. It is like a swamp -hard to escape ( money, routine, busiest time in work)

Pros

you have work no depend of season, all the time.

Cons

your health is worse and worse ( sciatic nerve, spine pain)

Very comprehensive training.

I completely loved my time with Maple Leaf Foods. The training for my particular role was extremely comprehensive. Management was not shy in complimenting a job well done.

Maintenance stepping stone

They only able to hire apprentices, even then applicants far and few between. They get their ticket and leave. Always seen a high turnover but mass exodus of tradesmen in the last 12 months with very few to no replacements. Wage way below average - 35.54/hr, 2% pension, mediocre benefits. Remaining severely understaffed personnel are expected to deliver the impossible and overworked.

Fun place

Unstable as company moving to London. There was work life balance and employees were fun to work with. Lots of politics in the work place just like every other workplace

Room for advancement if you don't have a conscience

I rose to one of the highest hourly positions available and all I got for it was being taken for granted. Most managers there are vindictive and couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag. The job paid the bills and I met a few good people there.

Food Safety failure

Anyone with a science background understands bacteria is airborne. There are no plant air filtration. Refrigeration fans no filters. No far UVC.Pathogen testing is specific and targeted. Water for washing is ice cold. Any hot water tanks not tested for legionaries bacteria. Garbage compactor area air circulates where the food is. Not a sealed area.Mold inside electrical panels and its found alll over the plant visible on the acrylic caulking on the walls. Very dirty plant . Unhealthy. Maintenance equipment is non existent. Maintenance shop has a gravel floor. Drill press isnt worth 40 dollars. Work Hard Not smart. You have no access to the PLC or programs. You can never hook up to diagnose a issue via plc. Very poor maintenance practises

Very good workplace

It is a professional workplace. Pay is very less but it’s fine. The work culture and the management makes up for it. Work life balance is good. Safety is also good

Good employees, well known products

No table tennis while I was there, worked at two locations . Professional and friendly co workers. Logistics related services, and over seeing all logistics matters.

Pros

Friendly and courteous employees, professional demeaned.

Cons

Failed to engender team work on all levels

1 to 2 year job

Easy but not meaningful work. No chance for internal growth. People are nice. Cheap meat but pay will only increase 2%. Not able to do any work from home. Bottom of the barrel at the company.

Toxic Environment

A typical day at work consists of dressing up appropriately before entering a freezer for the rest of your day. Communication is limited due to masks, headphones, the constant blaring sound of the a/c and forklifts always beeping, as well as passive aggressive coworkers and emotional managers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you finally get home, put your head down on your pillow for half a second and teleport right back to work.

It isn't the worst place to work, but isn't the best either. Payment is good but working environment isn't the best. Just a regular place to work.

Pros

Salary Benefits

Cons

Working environment

Not an enjoyable work environment

There is a tool list given at date of hire but it's not enough to do any extra tasks that arise. Expect to add much more as they not provide. You will need even your own hacksaw blades, taps/dies, drill bits, welding helmet just to name a few. Limited benefits after 2 to 6 months, no pension untill 2 consecutive years of employment. Camera's are everywhere, very little stock room parts for repairs. I've seen 4 maintenance quit in the last 5 months and soon atleast 3 more are leaving, not including me as I am resigning. There are 4 areas to work, I'm in the bacon end. I've heard the other end of the building has worse maintenance supervisors. Not a good place to work as millwright or electrician.

Pros

Hourly rate is fair

Cons

Decent pay will go into the extra tooling required. No pension for 2 consecutive years

Stable work environment, excellent benefits and work-life balance

It's a busy company with a steady amount of work. Lots of collaboration between teams. Best benefits I've ever had. They no longer offer pensions, now it's RRSPs. Excellent work-life balance, not one minute of overtime was ever expected. Flex hours are offered here too, greatly appreciated

Tough and fast

This was my first plant job many years ago. The first season was very scary and very intimidating mainly due to the experienced co-workers’ attitudes. It never really changed but I learned to not let it bother me and stayed for years. Working alongside other women can be very tough. Keep your mouth shut and do your job and it will work out.

Pros

Shift work

Cons

Co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maple Leaf Consumer Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement