Maple Leaf Agri-Farms

Maple Leaf Agri-Farms Employee Reviews

Canada9 reviews
Management doesn't hold all employees accountable. But the production of the business is maintained on a regular basis. Shipments of products coming and going are dealt with accordingly and sent out on time. The hardest part of the job is handling 25 lbs bags.
Pros
Hours and pay are good.
Cons
long hours, unbalanced management.
Huge amount of miscommunication between office and farms. Very inefficient and extremely frustrating to work for. Hyper focused on reports and data, some of which could be eliminated or streamlined to save time. A lot of overtime because of mismanagement, then the office complains when we have overtime. Poor barns, equipment, and livestock. Night and day difference between MLAF and their closest competitor Hylife Foods. With over 20 years experience in this industry I have never worked for a more poorly run company. Even a few huge no-no's on the hog production side that would never be tolerated elsewhere, that I will not mention while employed by the company. I can not stress enough how one should not consider working for Maple Leaf.
Pros
Good benefits and pay.
Cons
Lots of overtime, this company over complicates hog production, lots of breakdowns and equipment failure. Very poor management in upper office.
Employees are rude and gossip every little word so keep your mouth shut and management takes forever to get the smallest task done. Wages are good if your fresh out of school but you cant raise a family on it.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
80 hour max salary
Too few employees at my particular barn for the number of animals there. Management was hyper-focused on production and less so on animal health. Lots of stress for a low wage.
Pros
Benefits, good hours
Cons
Non-unionized, micromanaged, personally opposed to stock raised exclusively indoors
As a publicly traded company there was incredible pressure on performance and cost, rightfully so. I enjoyed trying to fit my role to best benefit the company as a whole rather than just isolated segments. There was a tendency to hold me accountable for areas in which I was not responsible which was frustrating. I was on call 24 hours/day every day which sounds like a lot but really would be simple answers mostly to keep animals fed and feed mills running all the time.
Pros
Good company focus on cost
Cons
Accountability is good, only when responsible however otherwise it is a frustration.
My experience with maple leaf was one never forgotten lots of friendly people and an encouraging workplace with optimal advancement opportunity left knowing More than expected
Productive and interesting workplace, challenging at times, good staff, opportunities to meet fellow employees at company sponsored events
I think 12 hours its a good deal when you can get one week off every 4 weeks, that is the best part of working in this place.

Besides, a pellet mill plant is a fun place to work
Friendly people to work with. Poor management and no advancement in the company. Wages are not negotiable. Benefit packages are good.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
no advancement, poor management