Manulife logo
Manulife

Manulife Employee Reviews in Halifax, NS

Found 60 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,298 reviews

Manulife is giving up on its employees

This company has great benefits, great management great coworkers. It's overall a pretty good gig. However the direction they're moving in is disastrous. They no longer care about their employees. They give you 10,000 per year for mental health services instead of making the job less stressful overall. They know people won't have time to actually use those services but they get to show off how much they care. They would rather stretch out the energy of their current workers as much as possible until they quit or move somewhere else, rather than just hire more people and create a better environment for the costing employees.If you stay in the call centre you can expect to get trained on advanced contracts within a year or two, and you'll only get the standard inflation based raise even though you now have to take more calls than before. They are stats focused, although it is only an issue if you're really struggling hard. Management seems like they're only there to get sat on by the higher ups. Upper management just makes decisions without any care in the world and then forces the supervisors and managers below to take the flak for it. They pretend to care without actually caring.They are moving toward a more traditional call centre environment eith contract workers instead of permanent employees. They don't want people sticking around because you're only valuable for the first year or two. After that you realise that "peak" season is actually just the entire year and you get super burnt out with no end in sight. Your only hope of enjoying Manulife is to get out of the call -

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, lots of vacation time, free coffee and stuff

Cons

Nonstop calls, high stakes calls (health insurance), stats pressure, constant peak hours, limited chances to take vacation, rotating shifts

5 May 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Our goal is to consistently provide a positive employee experience for all and it is disappointing to hear that was not the case. We are sharing this feedback with the team involved.

Job Security? NO!

One extreme to another in departments should you move around. Group benefits had a well contact center was a well oiled machine. Excellent training and support ongoing as long as you need it. Fun people and team environment.IIC Individual Life had no training plan, no "proper" support no proper expectations of the job. If you are here it's sink or swim. Most quit or go on medical leaves for a reason. Terrible management.

Pros

Excellent Work Home Balance with Remote Options

Cons

Trainers have actually not done the job

5 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide feedback.  We are sorry to hear your negative comments and are sharing these internally.

Opportunities if you want them

A lot of jobs there are contract jobs, but they can indeed lead to permanent jobs with good pay. There is a lot to be learned, a lot of skills to be gained and a lot of work to do - it’s a busy place with a lot of different departments. The Halifax location is at a great location with great facilities. It can certainly be the type of job where you check out at the end of the day and that’s that, but there are definitely opportunities to move forward if you’re willing to invest the time, effort and enthusiasm.

Pros

Lots to learn and do, if you want it.

Cons

You may feel less “part of something” if you are a contract worker.

5 May 2021
We appreciate you sharing your feedback! We recognize that our organization is comprised of talented individuals and are happy to hear that you value your experience with us.

Confusing place to working

If you're the favourite of management then you do okay and are heavily rewarded. The rest get the work and caseload piled high. Lack of communication and support from management but the company claims to care.

1 March 2021

Worst job ever

Worst place I have ever worked Nasty coworkers Not what you know it’s who you know after they took over Maritime Life they were sneaky and laid people off regularly over the first year rather than all at once so as not to look bad

Pros

Cafeteria

Cons

Awful management

2 November 2020

Great team to work with.

Had a great time working there.Great trainer, team members and supervisors genuinely interested in your growth. Challenging work environment that will cause you to bring out the best in you.Had to leave cos i was a contract staff and needed a permanent job

Pros

Great team always ready and willing to help, nice work environment.

Cons

Could be super busy sometimes with back to back calls

10 September 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback and for offering suggestions for areas of improvement. We value the opinion of our employees and this information will help us deliver on our goals.

Plan Administration

Just be determined and ask questions! Team player and good work ethic and be prepared for a constant learning curve. Manulife is fair and understanding and allows you to be independent and outgoing. Has activities that allow you to have at work.

19 August 2020

Great place to work and further your career

I enjoyed working for Manulife Bank and trust. They were fair and caring of their employees. They offered work from home if you need it . Time off was not always available when you needed it as this was a call center environment and availability was determined on call volume. You could take the time you needed for personal appointments and make the time up before or after that time .Most people start with a job agency but soon became full time hires if they show they are able to perform the job well. In the building there is a full cafeteria with hot lunches and amazing coffee. Each floor also provides a kitchenette with access to Kurig machines and hot water for tea. security is always at the location and you are provided a badge for entry of the building, this gave me a personal sense of security. There are also cameras in the parking garage as well as the parking lot. All areas are well lit. All in all it is a great place to work and it offers many ways to enhance you work experience and advancement to further your career in banking.

Pros

lots of perks, pot lucks and reconition

Cons

for me it was to daily commute

1 March 2021
Thank you for sharing a review. We certainly take pride in what we do and are happy to hear that you are having a great experience with us!

Manulife financial is a great place to work a very flexible life between job and family

Manulife financial is the place I will encourage people to work a place where there are no bosses but leaders a place where no matter how you look or where you are from everyone is equal. The value of employees is key to management and the working culture is excellent .manulife makes you feel part of a bigger family

Pros

Providing career advancement opportunities and

Cons

Too customers obsessed

Amazing work place

Working at Manulife is one of the best achievements for serious candidates. There is a very good working environment with a very kind and serious supervisors

Jobs at Manulife

in Halifax, NS
See more jobs

This company is an incredible company to work for.

This is coming from someone who regretfully did poorly and got fired from Manulife. Working for this company is very rewarding. Everyone (including all Management) will treat you like family from day one. The job is demanding, but they provide you with everything you need to build a successful career there. I unfortunately was younger (22) and took this job and this company for granted. With the job experience and ethic that I have now - I would return to this company in an instant. The hardest part of this job was the heavy flow of calls, and needing to know the processes and terminology. The most enjoyable part of this job - the people, management, the training recourses, the hours, the pay, the benefits, the incentives, the work events and team events. DO NOT take this job for Granted. The Halifax office is 5/5.

Disorganised mess

There was no manager on site for our department, if you had any questions or needed anything to get done you had to email them over Skype. They set up a new website that didn't work and suddenly I was required to be technical support despite that not being in my job description. Very stressful and chaotic.

Pros

Nice cafeteria

Cons

No manager

8 July 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Our goal is to consistently provide a positive candidate experience for all and it is disappointing to hear that was not the case. We are sharing this feedback with the team involved.

Stressful call centre environment

I was in a call centre position, even though my education and training was better suited to other positions within the company. The company does not seem too concerned about putting the right people in the right job, so the call centre environment had a lot of turn over.

8 July 2020

Its an okay place to work

While I have referred a few people into Manulife for different positions, the work/ life balance is definitely an issue and they don't hire enough people for certain departments, which leads to stress on the employees.

Pros

Pay, benefits, vacation

Cons

Stressful

Great Work/Life Balance for Employees

Great work/life balance for employees. Great benefits and work at home option. Employees are able to freely apply for other positions within the corporation.

Pros

Work at home option

Cons

Work at home/min. face to face interactions

great place to work

i loved working at manulife. met alot of awesome people and there was always something new to learn. Great co workers and got to move around in the company.

Excellent

Excellent people I worked with very flexible well managed good environment to be in not too hard to manage the job not stressed out at all at work I found it was great therapy in a way

Stressful

Stressful long hours and not much support provided when needed. It was a good experience to learn from and grow regardless of the lack of management at busy times.

great place to start a career

a place where employee needs and family is taken into consideration . work schedule is flexible. you get to receive calls from clients all over Canada when you are bilingual .the enjoyable part is that u don't have to work on weekend when you are an advisor support agent for the bank

Pros

good pay

Cons

complex scenerios on solving client problems

Stay away no matter how tempting it “ appears”

When you are first hired , you truly believe the BS they tell you . I thought it was a great company to work for initially . Management is the worst I have ever seen at any company . You will think things are going great and they will FIRE you by telephone !! It’s a revolving hire/fire company . No job security and you are treated less than human . Stay away !

Ambiance corporate

Je suis partie au bout de 2 ans car mon travail etait moralement difficile.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manulife. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement