Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 February 2019
Manulife is a top-tier company and an excellent environment for anyone looking for full-time benefits. They are an honorable company and the corporate culture reflects the mutual respect of all employees.
Flexibilité du travail
Program Manager, Continuous Imp. & Automation (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 February 2019
Encouragement pour le travail de la maison quand le poste/responsabilités le permettent.
Équipes multi disciplinaires et multi-locations, très enrichissant.
Excellent équipements et outils informatiques pour permettre un travail à distance efficace et performant
Pros
Travail de la maison
Cons
Coaching et mentoring limité
Somewhat unrealistic expectations of performance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 February 2019
Right thing first, first time right, should be a practice at Manulife. Rushing through calls with a robotic review, and regurgitation of policies does not afford the best customer experience. Take the time to explain it to the customer, and they won't need to call back several times to verify, or complain. Anything that required more than 30 seconds of searching was expected to be made a call back, which created a work load that many employees handled on their personal or unpaid break time, causing anxiety, stress, and burnout in their employees.
Terrible experience
Project Director, Core Engineering & Architecture (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2019
My VP changed 3 times in my tenure at Manulife in one year. I did not have a direct manager for approx. 5 months of this time and there was no direction, leadership or clear expectations. My skills and experience were severely under used and my job did not turn out to be what I signed up for. Very poor experience.
Pros
If you love depression, here it is
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 February 2019
-Work none stop with very very high volumes of calls, no time in between calls
- Do not accept if you are on contract as it means nothing to them and you get paid between $4-6/hour less than regular employees
-No incentives to do good, just dont mess up and cost the company any money or time
- Met my supervisor the first day, then only talked to her 4 months later the day I quit, they do not care about personal development in the slightest
- None of my coworkers wanted to help as they have way to much call volumes to deal with
Pros
Sometimes free snacks
Cons
Leaving everyday with a negative mindset guranteed
Great company to work for but there wasn't a lot of job security.
Medical Tele-Interviewer / Admin Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 January 2019
A typical day at Manulife would include administrative duties along with interviewing clients over the phone who were applying for life insurance. I learned a lot about office practices and gained significant amount of medical knowledge. We were a close knit team and I would still be working there had the company not decided to hire out our jobs to a third party company. I loved "meeting" new clients and building a good rapport with them.
Pros
Eventually I got to work for home for the last 3 years I worked for the company.
Cons
Low job security.
Large Financial Multi National Corp
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2019
Large Financial Multi National Corp
Good life work balance
Great with continuing education and professional development
Extensive learning oppportunieis
Productive workplace with chaotic management
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 January 2019
A rewarding workplace with an unfortunately chaotic environment caused by distant management.
Learned a lot about interacting with co-workers managers and the public
Pros
Size
Cons
Size
The work is challenging
BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 January 2019
I worked with a great team, that provided technology consulting to the top financial advisors. This included security and business continuity.It also included Web sites, social media and CRM solutions.
Pros
Information was shared between the team.
Cons
New changes has morale low.
No growth, lay-off good employees to outsource to other countries
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 January 2019
No growth potential, poor management, sweatshop, only care about their image, outsource to other countries and lay-off good employees

Their values are not in-line with my own.

Over-worked their employees and understaffed.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive salary
Good Workplace
GRS Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 January 2019
Met a lot of good people there. I was able to maintain a work life balance to a certain degree. Upper management are like ghosts, you only see them when a meeting is called, and hardly ever involved in the day to day operations.
Great idea of what they want as far as culture. However major issues with Directors and Managers not following .
Manager (Former Employee) –  Québec Province5 January 2019
Manulife is great as far as vision. However it stops at middle management . 90% of the Directors and Managers are very old school, and do the opposite of the company vison. The company invests so much in leadership training, however most of the leaders do not want to change , so its a waste of time . The Directors do not think big, and just care about hitting their targets to fill their pockets. It’s very unfortunate, as Manulife is a huge company with lots of potential for employees to grow, and gain experience in other lines of business . However Directors cringe at this idea, and do not develop their top potential as they need them performing to hit their variable Comp incentive . I was told by a Director that I was crazy to promote a top performer , should have make excuses to hold on to them as now it would affect my variable bonus. This is a nutshell is the real culture at Manulife .
Pros
Vison
Cons
Directors and Management to not execute vision
Progressive IT culture
QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON2 January 2019
Excellent work environment. Encourages learning. Provides the required tools and guidance to progress as an individual and within a team. Teams work hard and play hard.
A day in the life of a medical underwriter
Senior Medical Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 December 2018
A typical day in the medical underwriting dept would be to quickly scan your in box for critical or escalated issues as well as review you work sort for the day. Prioritize these items to ensure they are completed within the required turn around time within dept standards. I've learned risk management, team work, as well as working independently. Supervisor has the et most respect for her dept and would always support our decisions made. Enjoyable work place,hardest part of job would be declining a client. Enjoyable part is working with my co-workers
Work Experience - Contract
Senior Learning & Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2018
Managed two separate contract efforts:

- Learning and Development specialist within corporate HR for six months.
- Managed compliance documentation and tracking website for six months
Pros
Job opportunity
Cons
Constant state of change
Good place to get experience
Research Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS3 December 2018
Lots of courses and opportunity to learn. They offer on the job training, great benefits package and the opportunity to work from home when you are interested.
Job Security
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2018
Change is constant within the company, you never know when the email is coming out stating the next wave of changes, and how that will impact you personally.
It was Ok placed to work
Facilities/Space Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 November 2018
Work from Home It was an Ok place to work...Many job cuts in the last few years..more and more jobs going to Manila!
Its not the company it once was
still good people there
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
Job Cuts
Old
Senior Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 November 2018
Old technology and very slow to make any changes.
Focused on financial success.
Not providing enough care for it's employees.
Missing on fundamental values.
Pros
Cons
Uncertainty
Great work/life Balance - Work from home option
Support Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 November 2018
Manulife provides wonderful Work/Life Balance by being able to work from home - I really liked being able to do this.

Manulife provides wonderful benefits, sharematch, profit sharing bonus every February

I learned a lot of different tasks at Manulife by being moved to different positions within the same department and enjoyed learning new things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manulife Financial. Our community is ready to answer.