Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

The work is challenging
BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 January 2019
I worked with a great team, that provided technology consulting to the top financial advisors. This included security and business continuity.It also included Web sites, social media and CRM solutions.
Pros
Information was shared between the team.
Cons
New changes has morale low.
No growth, lay-off good employees to outsource to other countries
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 January 2019
No growth potential, poor management, sweatshop, only care about their image, outsource to other countries and lay-off good employees

Their values are not in-line with my own.

Over-worked their employees and understaffed.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive salary
Good Workplace
GRS Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 January 2019
Met a lot of good people there. I was able to maintain a work life balance to a certain degree. Upper management are like ghosts, you only see them when a meeting is called, and hardly ever involved in the day to day operations.
Great idea of what they want as far as culture. However major issues with Directors and Managers not following .
Manager (Former Employee) –  Québec Province5 January 2019
Manulife is great as far as vision. However it stops at middle management . 90% of the Directors and Managers are very old school, and do the opposite of the company vison. The company invests so much in leadership training, however most of the leaders do not want to change , so its a waste of time . The Directors do not think big, and just care about hitting their targets to fill their pockets. It’s very unfortunate, as Manulife is a huge company with lots of potential for employees to grow, and gain experience in other lines of business . However Directors cringe at this idea, and do not develop their top potential as they need them performing to hit their variable Comp incentive . I was told by a Director that I was crazy to promote a top performer , should have make excuses to hold on to them as now it would affect my variable bonus. This is a nutshell is the real culture at Manulife .
Pros
Vison
Cons
Directors and Management to not execute vision
Progressive IT culture
QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON2 January 2019
Excellent work environment. Encourages learning. Provides the required tools and guidance to progress as an individual and within a team. Teams work hard and play hard.
A day in the life of a medical underwriter
Senior Medical Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 December 2018
A typical day in the medical underwriting dept would be to quickly scan your in box for critical or escalated issues as well as review you work sort for the day. Prioritize these items to ensure they are completed within the required turn around time within dept standards. I've learned risk management, team work, as well as working independently. Supervisor has the et most respect for her dept and would always support our decisions made. Enjoyable work place,hardest part of job would be declining a client. Enjoyable part is working with my co-workers
Work Experience - Contract
Senior Learning & Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2018
Managed two separate contract efforts:

- Learning and Development specialist within corporate HR for six months.
- Managed compliance documentation and tracking website for six months
Pros
Job opportunity
Cons
Constant state of change
Good place to get experience
Research Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS3 December 2018
Lots of courses and opportunity to learn. They offer on the job training, great benefits package and the opportunity to work from home when you are interested.
Job Security
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2018
Change is constant within the company, you never know when the email is coming out stating the next wave of changes, and how that will impact you personally.
It was Ok placed to work
Facilities/Space Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 November 2018
Work from Home It was an Ok place to work...Many job cuts in the last few years..more and more jobs going to Manila!
Its not the company it once was
still good people there
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
Job Cuts
Old
Senior Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 November 2018
Old technology and very slow to make any changes.
Focused on financial success.
Not providing enough care for it's employees.
Missing on fundamental values.
Pros
Cons
Uncertainty
Great work/life Balance - Work from home option
Support Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 November 2018
Manulife provides wonderful Work/Life Balance by being able to work from home - I really liked being able to do this.

Manulife provides wonderful benefits, sharematch, profit sharing bonus every February

I learned a lot of different tasks at Manulife by being moved to different positions within the same department and enjoyed learning new things.
Very laid back place. Not much pressure.
Junior Tax Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 November 2018
Great place to work as a contract staff but not so much for regular staff. Very laid back approach. No micro managing. Good pay. Good breaks and lunch time.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Inequality
fast pace environment
Intermediate Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2018
More opportunity for growth in continuous improvement in ones career path. great environment to work from home and make decent salary while improving your career
Have really enjoyed working on many Global scale programs
Transition & Change Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2018
I have been at Manulife Financial for 4.5 years.

A typical day is meetings with people leaders in the Business and IT understand and support them with challenges and opportunities.

I meet with my SVP to ensure that we are communicating the right message to all of our key stakeholders and executive management.

I work with IT very closely to manage relationships with the Business and to ensure that support processes are working globally.

I meet with HR and Global Resourcing with respect to people's roles and responsibilities.

At the end of the day, I work out strategies and plans, or update strategies / plans.
Pros
I work with bright, knowledgeable people.
Cons
Sometime long hours in working with Asian countries
Good benefits
Policy Change Coordinator (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 October 2018
This company gives great benefits but not a open company, kept in the dark with changes within the company. Is a fast paced and busy company. Management is not the best.
Discrimination/ Micro manage
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2018
One of the worst places I have ever work. Manager discriminate. every thing is to the desecration of your Manager, you pay for your benefits. You can't book your vacation when you want
it really is bad place to work
Good Place to work
Senior ETL Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
It is relaxed environment . and have room to learn. Management is really good and supportive . Work culture is also good. We do get work from home and we enoy working
Manulife
Independent contractor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
Work life balance was excellent and based on my role had the ability to work from home 90% of the time.

The management team that I worked with had changed several times within the life cycle of the program that I worked on but were all very professional and great to work with.
Pros
Working from home.
Brutal.
Short Term Disability claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 August 2018
Brutal, would never recommend anyone work here. Micromanaged, many people leave on mental health stress leave due to the management and clientele you have to deal with getting angry everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manulife Financial. Our community is ready to answer.