Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Discrimination/ Micro manage
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2018
One of the worst places I have ever work. Manager discriminate. every thing is to the desecration of your Manager, you pay for your benefits. You can't book your vacation when you want
it really is bad place to work
Good Place to work
Senior ETL Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
It is relaxed environment . and have room to learn. Management is really good and supportive . Work culture is also good. We do get work from home and we enoy working
Manulife
Independent contractor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
Work life balance was excellent and based on my role had the ability to work from home 90% of the time.

The management team that I worked with had changed several times within the life cycle of the program that I worked on but were all very professional and great to work with.
Pros
Working from home.
Brutal.
Short Term Disability claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 August 2018
Brutal, would never recommend anyone work here. Micromanaged, many people leave on mental health stress leave due to the management and clientele you have to deal with getting angry everyday.
Grosse entreprise technocratique
Directeur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 August 2018
Management de style "Command & Control"

L'efficacité financière prend le pas sur la mobilisation des employés
Manulife
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 July 2018
A great place to develop a career. They have many different areas of expertise that people can develop and advance their careers in. One of the best companies to work for
Good company
Financial Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
Good culture, good people, responsible organization.

Innovative and really a market leader in investments and benifits cutting edge technology and a company that embraces the IoT
Pros
People
Cons
travel
very positive environment
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 July 2018
It is a typical office work place. It is a small team. I learnt to work under pressure and respect for the people that i worked with even when we had different opinions.
Pros
best bonuses
Cons
short breaks
OK company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2018
Largest Canadian insurance company. Long history but finally catches up with technology and innovation. Good work/life balance. Below industry pay and little career advance opportunities.
Good and Bad
Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 July 2018
As a corporation they are a good company. Benefits, pension and options to purchase Manulife Shares were good.
My personal experience (not applicable to all area's of company, just the area I worked in) is that most management were more focused on looking good than investing in their employees which meant they overcommitted to what could actually be accomplished. The end result was that staff were under high stress to get unmanageable loads of work accomplished. Put multiple teams under this pressure and the work place culture sours as each person is in survival mode.

I am thankful for the experience of working there. I am thankful for the years where my work environment was a good one. Now I am thankful to be searching for a company that will support me in a way that enables me to do amazing work for them.
worse company on earth
Customer Service Professional (contract) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 July 2018
They treat you like you are garbage and no job security what so ever. they will lie to you and tell you that you are doing great and that you are an investment and yet you wake up one day to be told not to come in for no reason. worse place ever management is not supportive and they overwork you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Lots of Changes coming in 2018
Intermediate Business Analyst, GRS (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 July 2018
The company appears to be moving in the right direction, away from a focus on insurance and towards core capabilities in financial investments and technology.
Management is not able to motivate and lead teams..
Derivative Products Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2018
I was hired as a contractor on the largest project ( as per management statement). Management is inexperienced in team building, project management and project delivery.

No standards in communication and documentation.
Manulife Financial
Director, Global Optimization Implementation (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2018
Good flexibility and able to WFH as many times per week as possible. Management gives individuals a chance to grow but movement within middle to senior management is limited.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Too many meetings
Stressful.
Senior Life Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 June 2018
Stressful. Job security is awful.
Moral is the lowest it has ever been
They don't seem to care much about their employees. Cutting 700 jobs in KW.
thanks
Flexible workplace environment with good benefits.
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 June 2018
Overall I have enjoyed my time at Manulife. Finding a position in Nova Scotia with decent salary and benefits can be a challenge. I profit from their Work from Home initiative and generally supportive work environment.

However Manulife is undergoing significant changes that I do not feel are beneficial for its workers and for the most part, are not beneficial for its clients as well.

Pros
Work from Home, Benefits, Supportive Environment
Cons
Disorganization, job security.
Strong Technology Resources to Connect Globally while working from home
Director, Crisis Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Very deliverable focused and valuable resources made available to collaborate and to share best practices globally. Very quick to respond to market changes and risk like cyber threats and to collaborate on process improvements. Dynamic new leadership who recognize the importance of crisis management to triage risk issues quickly
Pros
Highly accessible executives meet yearly
Cons
Hierarchical management can slow responsiveness
Na
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 June 2018
Learned required skills for job

large company
multiple different job types as well as job requirements for doing work
culture is ever evolving within Manulife
not a great company to work for anymore
Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
not much support good vacation but no opportunity to use it. The staff was not made to feel like we matter and there was no opportunites to move or grow
Cons
management was not suportive
Good place to work if your in the right area
IT Leader\Integrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 May 2018
Good place to work if your in the right area. Work life balance is valued. Lot of changes happening in the company that will only benefit Manulife in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manulife Financial. Our community is ready to answer.