Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Very laid back place. Not much pressure.
Junior Tax Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 November 2018
Great place to work as a contract staff but not so much for regular staff. Very laid back approach. No micro managing. Good pay. Good breaks and lunch time.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Inequality
fast pace environment
Intermediate Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2018
More opportunity for growth in continuous improvement in ones career path. great environment to work from home and make decent salary while improving your career
Have really enjoyed working on many Global scale programs
Transition & Change Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2018
I have been at Manulife Financial for 4.5 years.

A typical day is meetings with people leaders in the Business and IT understand and support them with challenges and opportunities.

I meet with my SVP to ensure that we are communicating the right message to all of our key stakeholders and executive management.

I work with IT very closely to manage relationships with the Business and to ensure that support processes are working globally.

I meet with HR and Global Resourcing with respect to people's roles and responsibilities.

At the end of the day, I work out strategies and plans, or update strategies / plans.
Pros
I work with bright, knowledgeable people.
Cons
Sometime long hours in working with Asian countries
Good benefits
Policy Change Coordinator (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 October 2018
This company gives great benefits but not a open company, kept in the dark with changes within the company. Is a fast paced and busy company. Management is not the best.
Discrimination/ Micro manage
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2018
One of the worst places I have ever work. Manager discriminate. every thing is to the desecration of your Manager, you pay for your benefits. You can't book your vacation when you want
it really is bad place to work
Good Place to work
Senior ETL Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
It is relaxed environment . and have room to learn. Management is really good and supportive . Work culture is also good. We do get work from home and we enoy working
Manulife
Independent contractor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
Work life balance was excellent and based on my role had the ability to work from home 90% of the time.

The management team that I worked with had changed several times within the life cycle of the program that I worked on but were all very professional and great to work with.
Pros
Working from home.
Brutal.
Short Term Disability claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 August 2018
Brutal, would never recommend anyone work here. Micromanaged, many people leave on mental health stress leave due to the management and clientele you have to deal with getting angry everyday.
Prestigious Canadian Insurance Company
Bilingual Broker Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2018
Beautiful, well appointed downtown offices. Busy environment and team. A workplace culture of independent thinking and problem solving taking precedence over team work in many cases due to being short staffed. Excellent, dedicated Management.
Pros
Decent overall compensation package when group benefits taken into consideration.
Cons
Job security is always a concern working in a Canadian based call centre
Grosse entreprise technocratique
Directeur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 August 2018
Management de style "Command & Control"

L'efficacité financière prend le pas sur la mobilisation des employés
Manulife
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 July 2018
A great place to develop a career. They have many different areas of expertise that people can develop and advance their careers in. One of the best companies to work for
Good company
Financial Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
Good culture, good people, responsible organization.

Innovative and really a market leader in investments and benifits cutting edge technology and a company that embraces the IoT
Pros
People
Cons
travel
very positive environment
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 July 2018
It is a typical office work place. It is a small team. I learnt to work under pressure and respect for the people that i worked with even when we had different opinions.
Pros
best bonuses
Cons
short breaks
OK company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2018
Largest Canadian insurance company. Long history but finally catches up with technology and innovation. Good work/life balance. Below industry pay and little career advance opportunities.
Good and Bad
Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 July 2018
As a corporation they are a good company. Benefits, pension and options to purchase Manulife Shares were good.
My personal experience (not applicable to all area's of company, just the area I worked in) is that most management were more focused on looking good than investing in their employees which meant they overcommitted to what could actually be accomplished. The end result was that staff were under high stress to get unmanageable loads of work accomplished. Put multiple teams under this pressure and the work place culture sours as each person is in survival mode.

I am thankful for the experience of working there. I am thankful for the years where my work environment was a good one. Now I am thankful to be searching for a company that will support me in a way that enables me to do amazing work for them.
worse company on earth
Customer Service Professional (contract) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 July 2018
They treat you like you are garbage and no job security what so ever. they will lie to you and tell you that you are doing great and that you are an investment and yet you wake up one day to be told not to come in for no reason. worse place ever management is not supportive and they overwork you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Lots of Changes coming in 2018
Intermediate Business Analyst, GRS (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 July 2018
The company appears to be moving in the right direction, away from a focus on insurance and towards core capabilities in financial investments and technology.
Management is not able to motivate and lead teams..
Derivative Products Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2018
I was hired as a contractor on the largest project ( as per management statement). Management is inexperienced in team building, project management and project delivery.

No standards in communication and documentation.
Manulife Financial
Director, Global Optimization Implementation (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2018
Good flexibility and able to WFH as many times per week as possible. Management gives individuals a chance to grow but movement within middle to senior management is limited.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Too many meetings
Stressful.
Senior Life Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 June 2018
Stressful. Job security is awful.
Moral is the lowest it has ever been
They don't seem to care much about their employees. Cutting 700 jobs in KW.
thanks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manulife Financial. Our community is ready to answer.