Manning Park Resort

Manning Park Resort Employee Reviews

Beautiful place to work, but that's about all

Had a negative experience working at Manning. Staff housing was awful. Old and not maintained. No AC in summer and no heat in winter. Expected progressive opportunities in different departments at the resort. Got stuck in maintenance and despite repeated attempts, could not move due to staff quitting. Split shifts and last minute schedule changes. Insufficient training. Not a place I'd recommend. Check out Sunpeaks or Whistler/Blackcomb Instead.

Pros

Free housing; gorgeous location; nice people

Cons

Hours; split shifts; poor quality housing

Arrogant Senior Management lies and doesn't care about staff

AWFUL cramped living conditions, mold, disgusting furniture, terrible wifi and very little hot water. They'll tell you what you want to hear and NEVER do anything to help you. Staff without vehicles have no way to get groceries or supplies except to bum a ride to Hope or pay beyond ridiculous prices in the "country store" for very basic items. They don't care about their staff and that's why people don't stay. Many excellent workers and managers have left and will never return. Shame on the senior management!!

Pros

Nice lakes and mountains

Cons

Take it or leave it, they don't care.

Official response from Manning Park Resort

15 February 2021
We're sorry to hear of your negative experience, but do feel your review is not factual. We do offer weekly grocery pick ups from Save On Foods for any staff, and in the last 2 months we have implemented a complete medical clinic on site including mental health support that's available to all staff. We've also been running a weekly staff shuttle bus to Hope for shopping options over the winter season. We've had a 96% employee retention rate over the 2 month winter season so far, and in the last 2 months we've had a dedicated staff housing manager in place to support staff in living at MPR. It appears that you weren't actually taking advantage of all that MPR offers to its staff. This coming summer, we have a new 24 unit staff housing complex being built, and over the summer/fall of 2020 we had extensive renovations to a few of the main staff housing units.

Great staff environment but Resort needs some work

The winter season at Manning was fantastic - great benefits (seasons pass for everything), cheap housing, discounts at the pub and a fun group of staff members. Hours were reliable even if the pay was minimum wage, but the benefits made up for this. However, the Resort (both staff housing and guest cabins) needs a lot of refurbishment and management was a revolving door, which made staff feel unheard and unappreciated. During the summer, staff were under pressure to perform to unclear and unreasonable Covid standards, and guests were frustrated at what appeared to be a lack of accountability on management's behalf. In saying that, many of the managers also appeared to be under extreme pressure to make back the money lost during the shutdown in March-June, but this should not have been felt as obviously as it was in each staff department.

Pros

Free Nordic/Alpine/Snowshoe seasons pass, discounts, cheap housing

Cons

Management was unhelpful and staff housing need renovations

Amazing place, special community, endless fun

Manning Park is an absolutely amazing place to both live and work. Free use of amenities, extremely low rent (staff accommodation has its issues, but is mostly comfortable and functional, if you're looking for luxury, you won't find it here) and a great community to be a part of. The fun never stops in either winter or summer, the outdoors is spectacular at every turn, and even the work, while still just being work, can be pretty fun if you have a good tram and supportive management. Would recommend to everyone who loves being outsude and being part of an open, welcoming community.

Pros

Amazing location, cheap (but fairly good) accommodation, free rentals in summer and winter

Cons

Slow wifi. Sufficient for 95% of things, but will cause you problems. Welcome to mountain living.

Productive and fun place to work

Manning is a great experience and the environment is beautiful...management truly cares and looks to help you succeed in your position...During the covid this spring the company handled it very well and looked after the staff very well...I would recommend working here to anyone ..beautiful people beautiful location and a great ski family culture..I really liked my experience here and would go back any day ....

Pros

Great staff

Cons

Nothing to complain about

HR there was a nightmare

HR would regularly bully people out of the resort! Worst experience ever don't even want to go visit there blah blah blah blah blah filling in one hundred and fifty characters

Pros

Beautiful area

Cons

Human resources manager is unprofessional

Don't work here, horrible management

In short, don't work here. A horrible company to work for. Some management blame their own shortcomings on the staff and the others are just clueless. Staff accommodations are rat infested dumps in need of repairs and upgrades. The company assumes that you should be happy that they offer cheap living to make up for low wages. All leads to a very negative environment.

Pros

Cons

Management, low pay, disgusting accommodations

If you’re going to work here, work in food and beverage.

i was a line cook here and can confidently say that the only department that is taken care of is food and beverage, but even at that point you are treated to terrible living conditions, no shuttle to the nearest town for groceries, (at best) poor wifi(15kb/second) management that doesn’t care(they tend to act like you’re spoiled with the little amenities you have) and absolutely abhorrent price gauging on necessities for staff. Also the HR and housing is run by one person that will not hesitate to hold a personal vendetta against you. Putting you in the most decrepit mould filled house they have to offer. In summary manning park was a beautiful resort that has been run down through the past 15 years through extremely poor management and shortcuts that make the staff’s day to day life insufferable. Only apply here if you’ve been convicted of such heinous crimes that you won’t be hired elsewhere.

Pros

The other staff members are more often than not amazing people

Cons

Absolutely everything else

Horrible management, disgusting living conditions but hey you get a seasons pass !

Mould in housing blood, puke stained mattress’s. Unorganized and untrained management and it sure shows. My mate was not shown how to properly sign in, was only shown the lifty log so now his pay got frigged over and is missing a week of pay. Make liftys bump a chair that the manufacturer says not to bump. BUT HEY CHEAP RENT AND A FREE SEASONS PASS :)

Poor management, bullying and gossip,

That feeling you got when picked last for dodgeball. Fake friends and gossip. Nobody cares about you genuinley or personally. Felt alone all the time.

Pros

Free use of all amenities, super cheap rent, beautiful sceneray

Cons

A tight knit community full of attitude, bullying and judgment

Jobs at Manning Park Resort

See more jobs

Disgusting company!!!!

Manning Park allows bullying and harassment to go on including from management. If you speak your mind you will get framed and fired. There is unsafe work conditions daily. Management are not trained properly, the HR has no schooling to be in that position so no compassion for the worker. It was the worst job I have ever had. They will screw you anyway they can.

Disorganized and Unprofessional

Management unorganized. Either too much work leading to super stressful days or not enough work leading to long periods of time with nothing to do. Employees feel like they are not respected so in turn they do not respect management. Complete and total lack of communication. Remote location makes it extremely difficult just to get basic necessities unless you have a car. Petty department feuds. You get some free perks though so to be here you have to really really really want to ski for free. Otherwise it's just not worth it.

Horrible Management

I would give 0 stars if I could, horrible management... disgusting living conditions, the list goes on however great/friendly co workers who are in the same unfortunate situation you are...

Management needed to be improved

Just had a bit too much drama sometimes but thats what happens when there is no where really to go. Could be improved with a common area that was not the pub or your staff accom

Narcistic , unexperience gm

Good summer job for students . If you are experienced manager don't go . The gm is running this place down in the back of the owner who seems to have a blind confidence into him. STAY AWAY FROM THERE NO MORE TO SAY.

Pros

nothing free

Best and worst place

Since the new manager has taken over, the place is horrible for employees. They refuse to listen if you have a problem, staff housing is a dump, mould contaminated water etc. They do nothing to make your working environment safe. Having said that, the people you work with are amazing and the environment is beautiful. What a wonderful place it could be if only management would care about the employees. If you decide to go there, keep in mind you are going for the outdoor adventures, not to be respected. Remember to never sign an averaging agreement with them, you will not be paid overtime but expected to work 10+ days in a row. If you don't sign it, you most likely will not get enough hours to make it worth working there.

Pros

Great co workers

Cons

Horrible management, little pay.

exciting

this was something I had never done before and I am happy to say that I did! it was an awesome experience and I would have stayed longer if it wasn't for moving back home.

a great work experience!

i had a great work experience working and living at manning park resort, the people i was around really put me in a good mood , the pay was minimal but the location really made it worth while. the reason i left was too see family and to widen my horizon with good life skills.

Good job experience if you enjoy the outdoors

Manning Park Resort is a great location 45 min out of town either direction, The housing for staff ranges for a good medium to a rustic feel at best; it is also to be noted that they take a portion off your check every month to pay for your utilities. The pay was just over minimum wage. the views and activities to do make this the perfect place for those who love the outdoors. Manning is also a great place to form lifelong friends ships with people from around the world.

Pros

Location, activities

Cons

long hours, bad pay, not able to pick up food without car.

Official response from Manning Park Resort

17 January 2019
At Manning Park Resort we offer subsidized staff housing $130. bi-weekly for a private room or $90. bi-weekly for a shared room. Pay is dependent on position (entry level to long term staff), and we do offer some wonderful lifestyle perks. Seasons Pass for the ski hill, Nordic trails as well as free use of equipment in the winter. Free canoe, paddle board and kayak rentals in the summer . Free use of our recreation center and discounts at the hotel, restaurant and store. We work and play in a beautiful Provincial park that offers miles of hiking, biking trails. We also have been offering a free shuttle to town once a week for staff to purchase groceries, etc... Check out our website at www.manningpark.com and see why we love to work and play in the beautiful BC Cascade mountains.

Manning Park

Manning park is somewhere you want to go for the summer! a lot of fun crazy people. Management is very fair and understanding. I worked there as a Lightning Lakes Gate House Keeper and park operator.

Pros

Meet a lot of great people

Cons

having to turn guests away because we are full.

Fun Loving staff, beautiful area

Manning Park has its ups and downs for everyone but its more what you make of your experience here that counts. its a beautiful environment with a friendly team. I personally did not have an issue with management and found them helpful with any issues I had during my time here. I left the company on off seasons to go exploring and they always welcomed me back, eventually it came to my time to leave and try a new resort. However on my new adventure I badly broke my arm resulting in me being let go from the new company. I contacted manning park and after my 2 weeks recovery they found a suitable position for me so I wouldn't have to fly back home before my visa expired.

Pros

staff, scenic views

Cons

secluded which makes it hard to get to town if you don't drive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manning Park Resort. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6