Manitoulin Transport Employee Reviews

Featured review
Manitoulin Transport selected this as a representative review
Sales Coordinator
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga9 December 2011
Great company to work for with a dedicated sales team. Busy sales department, great manager (Director of Sales),
Pros
friendly people who work together
Cons
personal growth has stopped
Productive Environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gore Bay, ON27 April 2014
Hardest part of the work was trying to get ahead for the next day. I learned how to pace myself, not to over work self to accomplish what needed to be done. The co-workers were great to work with. The part I liked the most would be the fast paced environment.
Pros
Christmas Party getting to know all the Staff
Cons
Minimum wage
small depot staff works well together enjoy the work
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  High Level, AB10 March 2014
overall I enjoy working with the people and I the customers I deal with on a every day bases
Pros
good enviroment great team to work with
Cons
long hours should bepaid more and no room for advancementand a wage freeze
Highly Productive and positive environment. Very Active
Logistic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2014
Time literally flies in our Logistics Division. Between phone calls , emails, communications between our piers, we also have time to smile and appreciate our team members.
I have learned to be very good at handling multiple tasks at the same time. Finding solutions to better serve our customers and accomplish our tasks.
Management is very positive, firm and teaches us the basics to make sure we have a solid ground to build from.
Pleasing paying parties, shippers, consignees and partner carriers is the toughest part , it is so demanding , and so gratifying.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Multiple levels in Customer service and time reaction to a situation
Good guys to work for
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Sparwood,BC20 January 2014
Load and haul liquid explosives to the coal mines in the Elk valley
Pros
lots of work
Cons
Nice people to work with
Adjointe administrative (Former Employee) –  Pointe Claire, Quebec13 November 2013
Learned to resolve problems quickly, good communication between main office and departements.
Pros
Always a solution
Cons
Must do overtime on your time
Une très bonne compagnie
Conducteur de semi-remorque Livraison Qué-On (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire,québec12 November 2013
Je conseille à toute personnes désirant travailler dans un endroit respectueux.
Pros
Repas et chambres d'hotels payés lors des voyages hors rayons
Cons
Parfois, manque d'équipement adéquat
Good job training
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montreal QC1 October 2013
Good place to train for sales.
Management located in Gore Bay Ont was not always in tune with the realities of Montreal.
Very high standard of service, and pricing was maintained.
fast paced and productive
Manager (Current Employee) –  Marathon, ON26 September 2013
*typical day at work was to receive and deliver goods to all different kinds of customers and to make sure there expectations were met.
*i have had to learn to deal with all types of personalities in many different situations this has made me to become very adaptable, quick learner and eager to accomplish new tasks.
*hardest part of the job was being called at 3 am as a call out and then going back into work for 6am the same morning as this seemed to happen in many cases.
*the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting clientele and making sure they were happy. Meeting new people and learning new things.
Pros
company truck
Cons
on call 24 hours
Great pay and benefits horrible management and moral
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 July 2013
drive many different kinds of equipment
very strict management, a bit over bearing towards drivers but not very good at addressing concerns from the drivers.
Co-workers were for the most part nice but the moral is horrible. its a driver vs management and too much drama. High turn over due to moral and 2 tier pay system.
long hours and very fast paced.
nice new equipment but very poor maintenance department which in turn makes new trucks turn into junkers quickly.
in house union is useless.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, move up the seniority quickley
Cons
long hours, poor management, poor moral
company only cares about budget
Stripper / Loader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 June 2013
company runs on numbers.if not met hours are cut if your are not full time.there is no benifits no cost of living raise . the mangers work on a bonus system if budget is met for the quarter they all get nice bonuses.the loaders and strippers get nothing but being told that we have to get the freight out and meet load factor.
Pros
good guys to work with
Cons
budget run (hours cut if budget is not met)
Quality driven company and simply an excellent company to work for.
Site Manager, Hydro One Dedicated Services (Former Employee) –  Barrie On at the Hydro One warehouse facility.1 June 2013
I was actually employed by Manitoulin but contracted to Hydro One and managed the transportation of materials from the Hydro One Barrie warehouse to all of Ontario. This included overseeing trailer loading and ultimate movement of materials.
The Hydro One experience taught me logistics from the warehouse point of view. Issues such as inventory control and pick and pack were dealt with on a daily basis and my responsibilities were impacted by the activities of the warehouse due to the fact my office was actually on Hydro One premises.
I managed the entire operation without staff and actually dealt with the Hydro One warehouse manager face to face on a daily basis. It was truly a great relationship between peers and made my job so easy. Him with his warehouse knowledge and me with transportation it was a good fit.
The hardest part of the job was being called out for emergency material requests at two or three in the morning and I don't really consider that hard. Even lining up power to move the materials was relatively easy because Hydro One was priority one with Manitoulin therefore what I asked for was provided immediately.
My relationship with Manitoulin senior management and Hydro One staff was without a doubt the most enjoyable part of the job. I was given a job and was given all the tools necessary to do that job. I was allowed to manage the Hydro One/Manitoulin contract and succeeded because I was given the tools to provide Hydro One with the service they required.
Pros
See above
Cons
Absolutely none.
Not my best work experience.
O S & D / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC8 April 2013
The job entailed tracking and tracing shipments for customers. The work environment was not inviting and inter-personal personnel issues tainted any positive aspects of the this particular office.
Pros
i enjoyed resolving issues for customers.
Cons
the stress of the office environment was disappointing.
Well Structured Great place to be a manaager
Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gore Bay, Sudbury and travel8 March 2013
Manitoulin taught me how to deal with issues head on, how to follow a chain of command, how to get respect from your staff
Pros
lots of training and support
Cons
huge company east to become a number
Awesome place to work.
Senior Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Gore Bay, ON24 February 2013
This company is high on standards. Follows the rules, and supports their employees and helps in educational advancement.
Pros
secure fair work environment.
Great people, Great company.
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 January 2013
I enjoy trucking, going out to new places, new people,

I dont mind 14 hr days ,or even 7 day weeks, but Im not

a fan of being away from home over night, Ive been doing this

for 17yrs, and I would like to find a company that I may retire with..
Pros
new places, open road
Cons
unsafe trucks..
It was a job
Customer Service / In Bond Desk / Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 December 2012
I showed up for work everyday to do my job. I wasn't very pleased about having to work for another company since Penner sold their LTL to another company but, I have 2 kids and needed a paycheck. A typical day at work is very stressfull most of the time and full of interuptions. I really don't feel right stating how my job is at Manitoulin as I think that I should keep my opinion to myself.
Pros
we did get free lunches, and my hours were 6:00 am - 2:30 pm
Cons
i'd rather not state my cons.
Manitoulan Transport
Dock worker (Former Employee) –  Acheson AB14 November 2012
This company helped me get started with my Forklift/Machiene oepration.
Good Place to work
Dock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 August 2012
Should have stayed there. Stressful job, but at least they paid well. The Ops manager is great!
Pros
good pay
Cons
streeful