Manitoulin Transport Employee Reviews

Featured review
Manitoulin Transport selected this as a representative review
Sales Coordinator
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga9 December 2011
Great company to work for with a dedicated sales team. Busy sales department, great manager (Director of Sales),
Pros
friendly people who work together
Cons
personal growth has stopped
Loved this job!
outbound operations supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 March 2019
Worked for them for 12 years, never really dreaded going to work. Sure you have bad days like everywhere but always enjoyed the people And the atmosphere.
Pros
Just about everything
Cons
Pay could be alittle better
Great job wrong location
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC26 March 2019
Great place to work, just moving back east to be with family. Could use better communication and benefits. Schedule is wonderful for a family person.
Pros
4 on 4 off is great family time schedule
Cons
More communication
poor company
Clerical duties (Former Employee) –  Ontario20 March 2019
this company is one of the worst companies i have worked for.
for being a global company they definitely don't appreciate their employees. Don't expect good pay at this company. Almost every dept at the terminal's in ontario only make a few dollars more than minimum wage. But your expected to take on more and more work each day as they buy more companies.
( drivers and mechanics make the most)
Pros
nothing
Cons
poor management
One of the worst places i've worked in my 32 year career
AZ driver and driver coach (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 March 2019
From management to dispatch, Manitoulin has proven itself to be a company that is on its way to closing. In my 32 years of driving, this is THE worst place i've worked. I want to warn every trucker to stay away. I was a driver coach there for 6 years out of the Mississauga terminal and it was a complete disaster. Customers complaints fall on dead ears as well do the driver complaints. They flat out dont care. There are plenty of better paying jobs out there to put up with companies that dont respect drivers.
Pros
There arent ANY!
Great Pay for LTL company, newer equipment
Driver /Shipper Reciever (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 January 2019
Great Pay however did not like the pay structure as it was on a piece work basis. Sometimes you really come ahead others you really feel like your being ripped off. The pay really depends on the run, the freight and the dispatcher. I'd prefer an hourly system with overtime after 40. The equipment is newer but just cheap Internationals. The stress levels are almost unbearable as they are always understaffed so the employees are always under pressure. Manitoulin is one of the better LTL companies to work for but definitely has its flaws. The staff have poor morale and dislike upper management, probably due to the stress put on the staff by the high workloads.
Pros
Good Pay, Newer Equipment, Home every night and weekends and holidays off.
Cons
Long hours, high stress, high work load, unfair pay structure, cheap equipment.
Liars .. pay from dark ages .. duh
Driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 January 2019
Good equipment ... lows y pay .. if they paid double, might be a good company to work for .. ie.Grande Prairie AB to Fort Saint John BC 129 miles X .37 cents / 3 hrs (travel time in good weather with no delays) = $15.91 before expenses and taxes. 'Sign On Bonus' .. no such thing ... after 3 months I saw no sign on .. or safety bonus ... and no possible way of making the $100k-$120k promised salary. STRAIGHT UP LIARS AND THIEVES! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH MANITOULIN !!!
Pros
good equipment
Cons
terrible pay
Productive, fast pace and never the same as previous days
Customs Help Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2019
Working at Manitoulin Transport made me realized how well I can performed under pressure. Days are never the same as different situations arises daily
Pros
Great Benefits, excellent working environment
Cons
too long to climb up the ladder
golf games each year
Doc worker, Duties (Former Employee) –  acheson18 December 2018
During my typical work day, my responsibility was to do a pre trip to my forklift then helping those who work with me in unloading trailers and manifesting. with in the past four years I have learned a lot of things like how team work is efficient and the different type of work.
regarding the management I can say that it was very organized if it wasn't like that I would not have spent four years in there. from the point of my view there was no hard part as long as I have the will to work. I like the team work and the golf games and the barbecue.
Pros
barbecue
Cons
overtime
good place lots of good guys
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2018
I enjoyed working there. lots of overtime if you wanted it. I was working with the guys in the talc section, they were very friendly. by far one of the nicest place I worked.
Do not advise
Lcv driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 November 2018
there is no hiring bonus, most days are roughly 18 hrs, no proof of anything on pay stubs just the money so KEEP track, can be switched from days to nights with no notice up to 4 times a week, forced to use Trucks illegal for road because it affects the managers end of year bonus so not allowed to refuse, end of year bonus means more to manager then your life so you are not allowed to refuse unsafe work and if you get hurt your made to work through the pain until you snap and get fired. If you ask for help it’s not their problem. You are the bad guy with this company. No proper training so catch on fast. Only good thing about this company are the other workers you come across. Ask them as much as possible cause that’s the only way you will learn this job.
Pros
Guarantee work
Cons
if injured your the bad guy!
worse run company in st catharines
Truck Driver AZ (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 October 2018
I did P and D from the St. Catharines terminal. Terminal manager is a complete idiot. Lies and lies. They tell you you're going to make this much and you don't. You voice your concerns about the pay and it gets swept under the rug.
Maybe manitoulin in mississauga is run better but the st. catharines yard is a dump run by one idiot. since I left three other guys have left. They take forever to give you the sign on bonus. Everything is just dragged on and on. STAY AWAY!!!
Pros
work hours 7-5
Cons
Pay and management
They focus on employees
Dispatcher/ Checker (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 September 2018
This a role-model company. They take the time to get to know their employees, you don't feel like a number. They give out praises and raises often to those who deserve it and work hard for it. This is how a company should work. They have it right.
Pros
awesome everything
Cons
nothing bad to say
good people, bad pay
TRACTOR TRAILER DRIVER (Former Employee) –  sudbury ontario3 September 2018
Great coaching and friendly staff but the amount of documents
you gotta fill out each run made me miss out on 4 pay checks which is why i quit the job, other than that be very thorough
Pros
welcoming, great coaching staff
Cons
didn't get paid and the whole fleet is standards
good Place to Work For a Single Guy or Gal
LCV Transport Driver(Long Combination Vehicles) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 August 2018
Good company to work for if your single.
Trucks are Regularly Maintained.
Drivers are Empowered to speak up about loads and Safety Issues
Acheson AB Terminal can be Time consuming from time to time
Its not run By Manitoulin that's the Problem it's Run by TAG logistics
zero accountability for Mistakes.
Pros
Work alone
Very disorganized
Driver/Dock (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 August 2018
Not sure what's worse the management or the junk outdated equipment they screw you out of every dime they can and have no clue how to dispatch properly
Pros
Moneys good if you wanna kill yourself chasing it
Cons
Bad managment, outdated equipment, long hours (could do the job in 1/2 thr time if they werent so disorganized)
Job for life
Truck Driver AZ (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 July 2018
I am still new, but i think it is helpful for others to share my "so far" experience, professional management, good training, good follow up, good salary, tram work environment,
Actually i am impressed and i feel lucky to be part of Manitoulin successful team.
I strongly recommend it
Pros
Professional management
Cons
N/a
Transport industry
Customs Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga25 July 2018
This company will keep you on your toes in the best way possible. One has to maintain a positive attitude in this time sensitive and last minute edits in this industry. If you enjoy the ever changing aspect of the transportation business, this company is a fairly ethical one to be a part of.
Great Place
Traffic Analyst (Current Employee) –  Gore Bay, ON19 July 2018
The place is indeed a nice place to work. They understand small town culture while maintaining a global company.
They allow time off to get personal items done because of small island restraints.
Benefits are good and the overall atmosphere is good.
There are opportunities for advancement and they encourage inside promotion.
This is a laid back Island but this company is global and demands a fast pace with attention to detail.
Wonderful place to work
Office Clerk-temporary (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 July 2018
-drivers very friendly bunch
-co-workers always available to answer questions and to help explain things
-every single person was friendly, approachable and made you feel like one of the team right from minute one of entering office.
Good pay and Benefits
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 May 2018
Place is under totally new management and few of the employees i started with are no longer there.
I had a great relationship with most of the employees and my manager, I did feel it was very old fashioned, few women in management positions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manitoulin Transport. Our community is ready to answer.