MaKami College Employee Reviews

Poorly managed, poorly ran
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2018
As a former employee of this school, I can tell you that this is not a good place to work. The management is awful, they expect you to be nothing but a yes man/woman and they will not notify you when they change/cancel your shift. Staff and management seem to have zero communication as thing's are always getting lost or misplaced. Very unprofessional business.
Cons
Terrible management
Terrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 March 2018
It’s hard to know where to begin with MaKami. First off, the people I worked with were amazing. Everyone wants to be there to help the students. On that note, upper management (CEO, executives) knows that and will take advantage of you and squeeze you til your last drop just so they can make an extra buck. Staff here are so overworked and exhausted, and despite management’s best effort, it is nearly impossible to hire the right staff to provide some relief. You don’t get paid for overtime (you get to take it off as vacation, which I suppose is smart for their bottom line because there are not enough employees to really ever take vacation), and there are no health benefits despite years of upper management telling employees they are working on it. Everyone is micromanaged, and even private offices have cameras in them so you can’t have a moment to yourself. Massage instructors and tutors are shared between 3 departments so they sometimes work 14 hour days, and managers are constantly undercutting each other to get the staff they need. Everything is so disorganized that it affects the students who, by the way, are paying top dollar to be there.

Staff is extremely undervalued. If the CEO would just take her hands off things and just trust the employees to do the jobs they are already good at, this place might become better, but at this point everyone is too scared that they’ll lose their jobs if she decides she doesn’t like them anymore.

I would not recommend working here, and if it wasn’t for the amazing people I met, I would regret working here in the first place.
Pros
Amazing coworkers
Cons
No appreciation, no benefits, terrible culture, disorganized, overworked, micromanaged
Good most if the time
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
I worked as a receptionist there for a little over a year. I enjoyed the people I worked with in the front and lots of clients and students would always give us food! Many people quit or were fired while I was there, sometimes I was afraid I would be let go too. Also, the manager I would report to switched from person to person many times throughout. There would be times throughout the day where it would be stressful at the front desk, answering multiple phone calls at the same time, trying to help out clients and students with different types of issues, filing and preparing for the check-ins, but I managed! It was definitely a good experience and I am happy to have learned multiple skills from working there.
Pros
More skills acquired
Cons
Unprofessional at times
Toxic Work Environment with Horrific Upper Management
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary12 December 2017
Don't be fooled by the 5 stars on this page. Notice how are the reviews were done within 3 days of each other? This place has horrible upper management and a toxic environment. No employee is valued and is viewed as just another cog in the machine to bring in more money for the greedy CEO.
Cons
Terrible Upper Management, No Loyalty, Horrible Employee Retention
Leadership
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
I havent been working for makami long but I recently passed probation and im excited about my future with company! They recognize the potential in people and I was given plenty of oppurtunites to take lead on projects even though I had just started.
Pros
Leadership
Supportive and trustworthy
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
I love working at Makami College because of how supportive and trustworthy the company and the staff is. I always enjoy the thought and effort put into everything they do and how they care so deeply about their students and their success. If you want good pay and to work with good people, then Makami is the place for you!
Productive and welcoming
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Makami College is a very professional and productive workplace. Despite this however it is super fun to work there and everyone gets along together wonderfully. This is the best place I have ever worked !
Warm and comforting
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2017
This college is such a wonderful and happy place to work! Makami College always provides its employees with a positive outlook on their work life and management always has helpful tips. This college always looks out for the best for their employees.
Perfect place to work
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Makami College is a perfect place for full time and part time workers because they are so accommodating to your schedule. They also give lots of opportunities for bonuses and they want you to succeed. It's such an uplifting place to be and a comforting place to work.
Would definitely recommend
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Working here was a wonderful experience filled with wonderful people. Every day was a new experience with Makami and it was always a good one filled with laughs and memories. Besides the high pay and benefits, Makami College is a fun and memorable place to work.
Fabulous working environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2017
I could go on and on about how much of a great place makami is work. From the countless awesome employees you work with to the knowing that you are making a difference in someone's life by helping them with school, it is just a heartwarming place to be. There is also many benefits available to employees that lots of other businesses wouldn't supply.
Caring and fun workplace
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
This place has so much to offer an employee! They have the most understanding and caring management that will always lend a helping hand and a listening ear if needed. They always promote good working habits and you always have a good time while working!
Instructor
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2017
I have so much fun at work and I love it here! I have been here for several months and I find that everyone here is easy to talk to. I do find the the roles for people change a lot so sometimes its hard to catch up but everyone is really good about directing me to the right person to talk to! Overall supportive team and could see myself here for a long time.
Flexible Hours
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
Great team to be a part of! The hours are great and I have had an amazing learning experience. The job itself is perfect for me as I have two jobs and this is my casual position at the call centre. Its a relaxing place to work and lets me balance with my other fulltime job. Flexible place to work for with a fun team.
Fast Paced!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
I love working in demanding enviorments that require my full potential. Working here is no regular 9-5 regardless off your postion. It keeps you busy and constantly learning new techniques.
Pros
Growth
Love It
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2017
This job offers a great bonus structure on top of great pay! They are extreamly flexible when it comes to scheduling and super fair with vacation time. It's always a plus when your co-workers are awesome too!
Pros
Vacation
Awesome place to work
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2017
I love working here because of the growth possobilities! Yes, that does mean positions are constantly being changed but it also means hard work does not go unnoticed, and in the short amount of time i've been employeed, their have been pleny of oppurtunities to grow!
Pros
Growth
Cons
Weekends
Welcoming and friendly
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2017
This company is super nice and has amazing people that work for them. They give you inspiration to live up to your fullest potential. I always feel motivated and happy both while working and before/after work.
Great !
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
This is honestly such a great place to work. Everyone is super nice and friendly. The pay is great and there is plenty of potential for bonuses if you work hard.
empowering !
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2017
Makami college is a super empowering company to work for! They are a family run business that you can feel the love and care from. They are wonderful to their employees and provide them with plenty of benefits. It's an incredible place to work and be a part of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MaKami College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4