MaKami College

MaKami College Employee Reviews

Canada67 reviews
is so productive , positive energy work place, diversity ,I like learning more and being able to improve in my work , and have more neology and do more courses ,
well taught and good teachers 2 days a week class intense teaching enough time to study books you get an ipad air the cousre is expensive but fair and there is help when you need it
Makami's vision and the staff that follow it were a great asset in starting my career as an RMT. i am very grateful for the people i met and learnt from there and i hope to get on bored there again one day.
I was paid in practicum hours though I mostly worked as a learning assistant. Supervisors were really supportive and kind. In general, the College needs to improve the breadth of curriculum and do more to help employees and students with special needs.
This college is the most disorganized place of work I have ever been involved with.

The unethical standards they have at this school makes employees wonder how they are allowed to receive students, let alone provide certificates that involve the health and wellbeing of others.

Make no mistake; this place is handled like a business, not a school that aims to have students succeed and be knowledgeable in their area.

If a student pays their fees, they WILL receive a certificate with VERY little expectation of competency.
Very Good 8 month practicum placement for Health Care Aides. 1 year program. Four months of classroom work and 8 months of practicum. This makes it easier to find work.
This is a terrible place to work. Management is horrible especially the CEO. If she doesn’t like you you are done she finds a way to get rid of you.
Pros
Most of the instructors
Cons
Management, pay, Ceo
Needs better management. Mostly teachers are what make it run and management ruins it making it toxic. They need a manager who knows what they are doing instead of micro managing acting like they can be fully in charge and won’t take advice from anyone.
Pros
Great team of most teachers
Cons
Need new manager
This place felt like home to me - alot of support wherever you go. Some of the most amazing people you will ever meet work here and i was blessed to be a part of the family even for a short while. I would go back to work here in a heart beat.
The staff there are great and fun to work with. Management can be difficult professionally but are very understanding of work/life balance. Students are by far the best part of the job.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Curriculum
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MaKami College?
The worst working environment I have ever been exposed to. For the 30,000 that students pay for their education at MaKami you would expect a professional instructing staff. Not the case. Most of the instructors have only graduated from MaKami college with no other education and most certainly no experience in massage. This allows management the ability to manipulate these individuals as these employees are more like sheep. Oh management lies to the government about qualifucations of their instructors as to maintain their license.
Cons
Constantly being lied to about everthying from hours to curriculum.
From someone who is on this site on the regular, Makami continually hires for the same positions....is it that horrible of a place to work that people bail right away? The turnover is crazy
They are a wonderful school all the teachers are wonderful and skilled RMT's. Most of the teachers are RMT's but some just specialize in the field they teach.
An extremely stressful environment with no support from direct management/upper management to do great, helpful work.
Management is concerned about themselves and will pass blame onto any staff member that is 'below' them, regardless on whether that staff member is in their department or not.

Many wonderful staff have left because of the office politics and how they were treated by management.

This has affected the staff dynamic and overall work environment; its not of the same quality from when I began my employment when it felt much more like a family.

No health benefits.

The mission of the school has so much potential, but unfortunately is non-existent based on current management.
Pros
Coworkers, Students
Cons
Makami college is for better words a zoo. If you have opinions on how to better your department or any ideas on how things could be run better. You gotta keep that to yourself because your so micro managed, by the CEO assistant down to security. Your voice does not matter. You will be watched and listened at all times. There are people who listen and report back to high management in all departments.Watch staff come and go because no one stays there because it is awful. I pity the students that go there.
Pros
One free massage per month
Cons
Micro management, no benefits, constant staff turn around
. Terrible place to work. Managers have no ethics and stab you in the back. NO SECURITY! Huge turnover and managers are spiteful and uneducated! They use you for what they can get and you get no support. They lie upon hiring about the culture. MOST IMPORTANTLY.. these programs do not allow immigrants to get a work visa after completion!!! Leaving students with no money, wasted time and having to go back to their country after all the money spent. Disgusting company
Pros
Cons
Too many to name
they try to give but they definitly take alot more than they give. so in the end you get what you give when you study and work there. work hard and ignore everything that distracts you and you will get what you give
Terrible management, but the pay is alright. They refuse to fire terrible people and everyone just gets sick of them and leaves. You could not pay me enough to work here again. Also they offer no benefits at all.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Bad management, increasing stressful, no benefits
As a former employee of this school, I can tell you that this is not a good place to work. The management is awful, they expect you to be nothing but a yes man/woman and they will not notify you when they change/cancel your shift. Staff and management seem to have zero communication as thing's are always getting lost or misplaced. Very unprofessional business.
Cons
Terrible management
I love teaching so I fit into this job very well. I only work there one day a week to keep myself sharp with the material really and find I learn something new every time.
It’s hard to know where to begin with MaKami. First off, the people I worked with were amazing. Everyone wants to be there to help the students. On that note, upper management (CEO, executives) knows that and will take advantage of you and squeeze you til your last drop just so they can make an extra buck. Staff here are so overworked and exhausted, and despite management’s best effort, it is nearly impossible to hire the right staff to provide some relief. You don’t get paid for overtime (you get to take it off as vacation, which I suppose is smart for their bottom line because there are not enough employees to really ever take vacation), and there are no health benefits despite years of upper management telling employees they are working on it. Everyone is micromanaged, and even private offices have cameras in them so you can’t have a moment to yourself. Massage instructors and tutors are shared between 3 departments so they sometimes work 14 hour days, and managers are constantly undercutting each other to get the staff they need. Everything is so disorganized that it affects the students who, by the way, are paying top dollar to be there.

Staff is extremely undervalued. If the CEO would just take her hands off things and just trust the employees to do the jobs they are already good at, this place might become better, but at this point everyone is too scared that they’ll lose their jobs if she decides she doesn’t like them anymore.

I would not recommend working here, and if it wasn’t for the amazing people I met, I would regret working here in the first place.
Pros
Amazing coworkers
Cons
No appreciation, no benefits, terrible culture, disorganized, overworked, micromanaged