MaKami College Employee Reviews

Ok place to work.
Teaching Assistant/Clinic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2019
The staff there are great and fun to work with. Management can be difficult professionally but are very understanding of work/life balance. Students are by far the best part of the job.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Curriculum
Absolutely a horrible experience
Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2019
The worst working environment I have ever been exposed to. For the 30,000 that students pay for their education at MaKami you would expect a professional instructing staff. Not the case. Most of the instructors have only graduated from MaKami college with no other education and most certainly no experience in massage. This allows management the ability to manipulate these individuals as these employees are more like sheep. Oh management lies to the government about qualifucations of their instructors as to maintain their license.
Cons
Constantly being lied to about everthying from hours to curriculum.
Why is this company always hiring the same positions over & over?
admin assistant/ect (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
From someone who is on this site on the regular, Makami continually hires for the same positions....is it that horrible of a place to work that people bail right away? The turnover is crazy
Very informative
Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2019
They are a wonderful school all the teachers are wonderful and skilled RMT's. Most of the teachers are RMT's but some just specialize in the field they teach.
Office politics & stressful says that come home with you
Administration (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 December 2018
An extremely stressful environment with no support from direct management/upper management to do great, helpful work.
Management is concerned about themselves and will pass blame onto any staff member that is 'below' them, regardless on whether that staff member is in their department or not.
Many wonderful staff have left because of the office politics and how they were treated by management.
This has affected the staff dynamic and overall work environment; its not of the same quality from when I began my employment when it felt much more like a family.
No health benefits.
The mission of the school has so much potential, but unfortunately is non-existent based on current management.
Pros
Coworkers, Students
Bad bad place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2018
Makami college is for better words a zoo. If you have opinions on how to better your department or any ideas on how things could be run better. You gotta keep that to yourself because your so micro managed, by the CEO assistant down to security. Your voice does not matter. You will be watched and listened at all times. There are people who listen and report back to high management in all departments.Watch staff come and go because no one stays there because it is awful. I pity the students that go there.
Pros
One free massage per month
Cons
Micro management, no benefits, constant staff turn around
Run the other way!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
. Terrible place to work. Managers have no ethics and stab you in the back. NO SECURITY! Huge turnover and managers are spiteful and uneducated! They use you for what they can get and you get no support. They lie upon hiring about the culture. MOST IMPORTANTLY.. these programs do not allow immigrants to get a work visa after completion!!! Leaving students with no money, wasted time and having to go back to their country after all the money spent. Disgusting company
Pros
Cons
Too many to name
you get what you give
Student Therapist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2018
they try to give but they definitly take alot more than they give. so in the end you get what you give when you study and work there. work hard and ignore everything that distracts you and you will get what you give
Be warned by the high turnover rate
Student Advisory Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2018
Terrible management, but the pay is alright. They refuse to fire terrible people and everyone just gets sick of them and leaves. You could not pay me enough to work here again. Also they offer no benefits at all.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Bad management, increasing stressful, no benefits
Poorly managed, poorly ran
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2018
As a former employee of this school, I can tell you that this is not a good place to work. The management is awful, they expect you to be nothing but a yes man/woman and they will not notify you when they change/cancel your shift. Staff and management seem to have zero communication as thing's are always getting lost or misplaced. Very unprofessional business.
Cons
Terrible management
I enjoy working at Makami.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2018
I love teaching so I fit into this job very well. I only work there one day a week to keep myself sharp with the material really and find I learn something new every time.
Terrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 March 2018
It’s hard to know where to begin with MaKami. First off, the people I worked with were amazing. Everyone wants to be there to help the students. On that note, upper management (CEO, executives) knows that and will take advantage of you and squeeze you til your last drop just so they can make an extra buck. Staff here are so overworked and exhausted, and despite management’s best effort, it is nearly impossible to hire the right staff to provide some relief. You don’t get paid for overtime (you get to take it off as vacation, which I suppose is smart for their bottom line because there are not enough employees to really ever take vacation), and there are no health benefits despite years of upper management telling employees they are working on it. Everyone is micromanaged, and even private offices have cameras in them so you can’t have a moment to yourself. Massage instructors and tutors are shared between 3 departments so they sometimes work 14 hour days, and managers are constantly undercutting each other to get the staff they need. Everything is so disorganized that it affects the students who, by the way, are paying top dollar to be there.

Staff is extremely undervalued. If the CEO would just take her hands off things and just trust the employees to do the jobs they are already good at, this place might become better, but at this point everyone is too scared that they’ll lose their jobs if she decides she doesn’t like them anymore.

I would not recommend working here, and if it wasn’t for the amazing people I met, I would regret working here in the first place.
Pros
Amazing coworkers
Cons
No appreciation, no benefits, terrible culture, disorganized, overworked, micromanaged
Good most if the time
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
I worked as a receptionist there for a little over a year. I enjoyed the people I worked with in the front and lots of clients and students would always give us food! Many people quit or were fired while I was there, sometimes I was afraid I would be let go too. Also, the manager I would report to switched from person to person many times throughout. There would be times throughout the day where it would be stressful at the front desk, answering multiple phone calls at the same time, trying to help out clients and students with different types of issues, filing and preparing for the check-ins, but I managed! It was definitely a good experience and I am happy to have learned multiple skills from working there.
Pros
More skills acquired
Cons
Unprofessional at times
Toxic Work Environment with Horrific Upper Management
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary12 December 2017
Don't be fooled by the 5 stars on this page. Notice how are the reviews were done within 3 days of each other? This place has horrible upper management and a toxic environment. No employee is valued and is viewed as just another cog in the machine to bring in more money for the greedy CEO.
Cons
Terrible Upper Management, No Loyalty, Horrible Employee Retention
Loved working here!
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2017
I loved working for this company. I was taught so much about Client service, the education system in alberta and meeting targets. I still apply everyting I learnd working for this company, in the feild im in now!
Pros
Lots of training
Supportive and trustworthy
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
I love working at Makami College because of how supportive and trustworthy the company and the staff is. I always enjoy the thought and effort put into everything they do and how they care so deeply about their students and their success. If you want good pay and to work with good people, then Makami is the place for you!
Productive and welcoming
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Makami College is a very professional and productive workplace. Despite this however it is super fun to work there and everyone gets along together wonderfully. This is the best place I have ever worked !
Warm and comforting
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2017
This college is such a wonderful and happy place to work! Makami College always provides its employees with a positive outlook on their work life and management always has helpful tips. This college always looks out for the best for their employees.
Perfect place to work
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Makami College is a perfect place for full time and part time workers because they are so accommodating to your schedule. They also give lots of opportunities for bonuses and they want you to succeed. It's such an uplifting place to be and a comforting place to work.
Would definitely recommend
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Working here was a wonderful experience filled with wonderful people. Every day was a new experience with Makami and it was always a good one filled with laughs and memories. Besides the high pay and benefits, Makami College is a fun and memorable place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MaKami College. Our community is ready to answer.

MaKami College Reviews by Location