Major League Soccer Employee Reviews

Toxic Climate, Apathetic Culture & Poor Leadership
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NY28 June 2019
Turnover is extremely high because people are overworked & unappreciated. But as many say, ultimately people leave bad bosses moreso than they leave the job. It’s concerning that “Leaders” either aren’t equipped to do their jobs, are primarily preoccupied with playing politics or simply don’t care about the welfare of their teams beyond getting the job done. Claims of diversity are misleading. There’s no diversity in senior ranks & any diversity of thought is silenced.
Save your sanity & go elsewhere.
training program
Sales Trainee in Session XXVI (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MN26 June 2018
this program will help you get a job in sales if you can go through the entire program. its fantastic experince and prepares you well for what a real sales job is like with a club
no career like it. Lived my dream of playing soccer at the highest level;
Professional Soccer Player (Former Employee) –  New York, NY12 February 2018
a typical day of work included practice, meetings, weightlifting, competing. i learned how to adjust to many different situations including forming a professional image, representing my country and city in a respectful manner, and working within a team to achieve huge feats. Its a very cutthroat, high risk job to endure with very limited assurance for longevity and always at high financial risk due to probability of job loss. The most enjoyable part of the job was being an outlet for fans from all over North America. it was a joy to play and be rewarded by their adornment. Also, to compete day in and day out with the best soccer players this country has seen thus far was a true honor.
Pros
Having Fans and playing with legends of the game
Cons
highly stressful, financially risky, and health challenging
Major League Soccer is the startup of sports leagues
Director of Engineering (Current Employee) –  New York, NY30 January 2018
The workplace culture is a mix of both laid back and also high energy. It is very collaborative.

Depending on the project and your department and dictates a lot of the overall work experience.

The real difficult and con w/ working at MLS is the fact that it is in the sports industry and that it is a young league. This results in a pretty loosely organized organization that may require off hours work to support and be part of the actual games.

The most enjoyable part of working here is being part of a strong, young vibrant brand that is moving fast and doing new things in most all the departments. Being here looks great for your resume.
Fast Paced and Very Competitive
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY19 January 2018
MLS is a good place to start a career in the sport industry. The company is a fast paced environment with a dynamic and motived group. Long hours is expected.
Easy once you learn the ropes, great pay for a side job
FREELANCE VIDEO LOGGER (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL1 November 2017
It takes about 2-4 hours to log each broadcast melt that you are assigned, and they expect you to do an average of about 6 logs a month. It just takes a few logs to learn the process, and then you get faster with every task. The job overall is a wonderful freelance position.
I love my job.
Soccer Instructor (Former Employee) –  United States9 September 2017
I have a passion of my job a lots of hardest working ethic in my goal setting. I love what I do to become the best at what I do. you have a long career at this job, and you get to travel at this position.
Freelance
Senior Reporter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA28 August 2017
It was a freelance gig at Major League Soccer. I was their first ever stringer and writer in Spanish. Great experience, they've now grown and are doing great!
You work with cool people
Freelance Editor/Writer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY8 May 2017
I work as a freelancer, and I do all of my work remotely, so I don't know what the office looks like - or even how people dress when they go to work. But online, communicating through Slack and email, people's personalities seem to come through and everyone seems cool.
As a freelancer, the one complaint I would have is that their pay structure is slow and often it takes me much longer to get paid than I believe it should take.
Pros
The work is cool
Cons
For freelancers, they take a long time to pay.
Exciting lifestyle
Player (Goalkeeper) (Former Employee) –  Carson, CA2 May 2017
Great opportunity to play the "beautiful game" at the professional level. Training was everyday other than game days and a few days off here and there during the season. Off season, you were expected to stay in shape and come into camp prepared to hit the ground running. Once in a lifetime experience.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Entrepreneurial, but cliquish
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  New York, NY1 March 2017
Very entrepreneurial workplace but cliquish, and path to advancement seems strange. For better or for worse, a lot of people have stayed there for a while -- good for them! -- but this can lead to reticence to outside/new feedback or ways of doing things.

The workplace also badly needs some added diversity. There are few women in managerial roles, and few people of color period.
Mls
Professional Athlete (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH19 December 2016
Working in the MLS I learned how to work hard and compete daily. Each day was a day to better myself and the people around me. I enjoyed each and every day.
Freelance position
Live match-cast social media manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NY4 November 2015
Freelance position allows flexible hours and ability to work at home. Coworkers are all very passionate about both the sport and the company which creates a great work environment. Highly enjoyable to work for a company that is the pinnacle of the sport I love in America.
great place
Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 November 2015
the working environment provides a lot of growth and responsibility to anyone looking to segway into the entertainment/sports industry
Fun Environment
Earthquakes Street Team Member (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA18 August 2015
great people to work with, very interactive, outdoors almost 99% of the time, great entry-level experience, great culture, very collaborative
productive and fun
International Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NY2 June 2015
Up and coming professional sports organization that takes care of its employees. It allows opportunity for growth and experience through travel and responsibility.
Very Exciting and Fun Place to work
Group Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Carson, CA8 December 2014
My typical work day was always different. My experience changed with every client and investor that I came in contact with. Overall, My job consisted of reaching out to potential and existing clients and listen and learn how their interests can be met through the resources that the team has to offer.

I learned that every client has a very particular need, and if you listen well and ask the right questions, you can hit that hot-button topic and strike on a very special partnership.

My coworkers were among the hardest and most resilient that I even encountered. Unfortunately, we were understaffed and many times over worked. The performance on the field wasn't always the best, but my coworkers kept putting great work together in the face of adversity.

Being from New York in a new city, the family-like atmosphere of my former coworkers made the days very enjoyable and memorable. I will miss everyone!
Pros
Being able to have a personal touch on all events that the team put together for the fans
Cons
Being the team had changed hands, we did not always have the most investment dollars from ownership
Finance
Finance and Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY25 November 2014
The finance department has a great team. Its a great work environment where you continue to learn. Co-workers are great everyone is really nice.
Friendly atmosphere
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJ26 September 2014
Learned a good exposure in the work and its really a awesome atmosphere
Uninspiring office with too much change
Philadelphia Union Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA28 August 2014
The work that is required does not match the compensation. The commission percentages are the worst I have ever seen.
Pros
be around the stadium on game-days
Cons
working 60+ hour work weeks with no extra compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Major League Soccer. Our community is ready to answer.