Magna IV Engineering Employee Reviews

Great Organization to Work for Overall
Assistant Tool Crib Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2018
While working for MAGNA IV Engineering, I found that the job was very enriching for a young worker when I worked there. Being a person of little experience at the time, I found that they had a passion in teaching me the ropes and helped me immensely in finding my niche in the company. With their competitive salary rates and flexible pay options, high pressure occasions felt relatively comfortable and were very easy to overcome.

On the other hand, I unfortunately fell victim to not getting a ton of repetitive training and at some occasions I wasn't trained at all in some parts of my job which unfortunately lead to my dismissal due to inability and lack of expertise.

All in all, I would recommend this company to anyone who is experienced in the electrical engineering field and would say overall it was a very good place to work.
Pros
Free lunches/dinners, open access kitchen, pristine work environment
Cons
Seldom Repetitive training, Frequent High Pressure Periods.
other (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2018
excellent palce to work
good people
good management
treated well
pay is good hours can be low
company has changed to better over last three years. best company I have worked for in the 20 years I have worked
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2018
At the time I worked there the Company was great and allowed you to do your job without micro management. Since then all management has changed and the partners are all different so I really can't review this company any longer
out going manager
manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 January 2018
well to be honest the only good thing about this place is the support staff.

After revising the current opinions, I must agree with most of them.
The current safety manager is great beats the last two, the person he reports too is CLUELESS about safety and does not care about anyone but themselves. Human resources what can say that has not been said about rats.

avoid this company if your management or field craft, it is not if but when the safety pyramid comes crashing down due to poor safety culture and lack of envolvement.

they are the perfect pusedo safety company .
Pros
none we'll support staff aka admin and electronics department t/tool crib
Cons
poor pay they want McDavid for minimum wage. poor benefits for being union and no HR support
not really caring about their employees
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton30 May 2017
Elitist, poor work relationship company. Safety not taken cared of by the management and non-existent safety person at any time. Ambitious, smart, non-experienced young technicians ready for a safety catastrophe to happen. Management far apart from the field technicians with very few exceptions. Office job people never go in the field to actually see what team is doing. Big, apparent strong company with broken sail, skipper went missing. Sorry...
Pros
decent salaries, a chance for young low paid engineers to start their careers
Cons
false relationships in working environment due to fear of being laid off
Great learning experience
Field Services Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2017
I have personally learned a lot from my time at Magna. My personal supervisors were a major benefit in my personal advancement and encourage me to learn and grow in all areas of my field. I feel that it is time to move on and explore other companies involved in the electrical field where I can continue to personally grow as well as expand my knowledge and career.
Cons
Poor work life balance, upper management structure and organization, poor teamwork/collaboration in upper management
watch your back
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
Office staff seem to have it good but the field crews are nothing more than work horses to be worked to death. If you are not willing to sacrifice all of your time to this company they will decide not to work you. It is best if you don't have a family and be ready to work any schedule that suits them.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
are too many to list
Extreme Caution Advised
Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2017
If you enjoy being overworked and under appreciated this is the job for you. This is a very elitist company that often recognizes social prowess over hard work and skill. Much of the equipment is antiquated and unreliable. Safety is always a back burner item and if you push an issue the office manager will threaten your job. Many of the client managers will throw people under the bus to cover for their lack of action and preparation. This company as very narrowly avoided serious injuries or fatalities through lack of proper training and supervision. This company is on a sure path to catastrophe and unless you work in the office it could very well mean your life.
Pros
free coffee if you are in the office
Cons
lack of safety, you are only ever a number, you will be required to give up your home life.
Comfortable work place
Engineering Administrator/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
Flexible hours, Good RRSP, Benefit package, Annual Bonus,
Very talented team, client focused with wide range of service, Nice south location, My Working hours were from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
no cons
The perks are great the people are not
Field Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 February 2016
While I worked here I enjoyed the perks the company had to offer like team building events, chili cook offs, summer bbqs, decent salaries, opportunity to move up etc. Unfortunately, at the end of the day non of that matters if your co-workers are verbally abusive, management plays favoritism, and any issues you bring up are not dealt with. It felt as though they wanted to put a band aid on things that were wrong in hopes that it would just heal on its own and go away. At the end of the day the money wasn't worth it.
Pros
BBQ lunches, chili cook offs, team building, salary
Cons
verbally aggressive employees, poor management, favoritism
Great Company to work
services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2015
Great working environment. To work in this company you need have a great attitude and open mind. If you not willing to learn and perform in a fast pace environment, then this not the company for you. Be ready to go through exponential learning curve.
Pros
Fast growing, great culture and open minded folks.
Avoid
labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2015
Avoid this company if you can. Management is a complete joke and they end up being replaced every 6 months. The co-workers are some of the worst people I've ever happened across.
you can find better
technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton14 August 2015
this company does not value the employees, they will work you relentlessly and than sit you sometimes for a month straight or more. The electricians here are under appreciated and treated as low class. If you are a tech this is a good stepping stone but no more than that. Training here is terrible, there is no on the job training or mentoring just work relentlessly until it is done and then they expect you to home study on your own in your free time. You are given a cell phone on the first day and with it are pretty much expected to be on call you will not get foreman rate for foreman work and scheduled raises only happen if you hound them. Overhead costs for this company are huge due to the extravagant home office leading to poor equipment and poor wages. This is a revolving door get what you can get then get out.
Pros
nice building
Cons
Long hours, poor employee retention, old degraded equipment, unhappy employees, long stretches of no work
Worst company ever go to pace
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton21 May 2015
Worked here waste of time no money, ask them why all there top electricians quit during your interview. You'll give up your life and be treated like they are better than you. They are broke and won't be in business long.
Pros
Cons
Little money on call 24/7 no social life
Solid Company to work for
Electrical Technician / Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 February 2015
Great training program, I would work for them any time. It was a great pleasure to work for a company of such good standing and I would recommend anyone to work for Magna IV
Pros
Great People and Benifits
good experience in High Voltge
Field Services Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2015
good experience in high voltage and working in substations and motor control center, switchgear, and using calibration and high voltage test equipment.