Magic Leap Employee Reviews

Quick paced and demanding
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FL4 June 2019
Constant moving and working. On the bright side, your coworker help you along the way. Training is insufficient but coworkers help with that aspect as well. Your colleagues will be your most important tool and support.
Pros
Colleagues and pay
Cons
Management, organization, training, and hardwork
Magical to say the least
Optical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FL29 May 2019
Incredible breadth of work with consistently interesting projects. Co-workers were brilliant and supportive. Easy to get sucked into the work but had a limitation of 40-hours a week for interns.
Very difficult
Recruiting coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CA15 April 2019
The company is very unorganized. The teams are extremely difficult to coordinate. There is no job security. The workplace culture is extremely stressful, and the hardest part of the job was trying to coordinate new candidates with the hiring managers. Management is not organized or professional. The only thing that I enjoyed the most was working with engineers who taught me a lot about AR-VR.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
job security, no benefits
Company with boundless potential marred my poor upper management/politics
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FL14 March 2019
If you happen to be on the right team where you truly have the favor of your manager/director and feel included within the larger group, you will be safe and go far as opportunities (promotions, etc.). If you happen to not have a manager/director that cares about your career growth and needs, you will not last long here.
Should be the best place to work in the world, but falls far short
Operations Person (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL29 January 2019
Engineering & Operations lack true leadership. There is a cut-throat atmosphere. Certain senior managers spend a great deal of time hiding their lack of true competence. These self same senior staff take credit for the innovation and accomplishments of staff when and where possible.
Pros
GREAT American technology that will change teh world
Cons
Must be extremely politically adept to survive at ML!
Opportunity for leading-edge research and state-of-the art development
Software Intern (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CA15 January 2019
Magic Leap is an exceptionenvironment for software developers. You will work with some of the top minds in their field and the culture encourages hard work and the best effort from everyone.

The Magic Leap One product is the current state-of-the-art for Augmented Reality and there are many secret entertainment products in the pipeline.

If you become a "Leaper" make sure you manage your own work:life balance, because the company has a bottomless appetite for software work.
Pros
Best, most immersive Augmented Reality tech; good funding
Cons
Poor "people management" skills abound; noisy, open work environment
Great Environment
Clean Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FL9 January 2019
New young company. Great personnel. Amazing atmosphere. Fun and exciting job! Open forum. New style. Google like set up. Highly secured. Great careers may be established .
Pros
Free lunch 3 times a week
Cons
No job security
Company needs more of the right leadership
Software Engineer QA (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL6 September 2018
Leadership say's one thing in a meeting and after the meeting some employees undermine what was just said. Certain leadership will yell and has created an environment where yelling is acceptable. Some groups are good and other groups leave much to be desired. The company needs more of the right leadership
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Leadership
Great environment filled with bright minds
Manager (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FL21 August 2018
Magic Leap is truly creating something that could change the world. You have to have an entrepreneurial spirit to work here as many times you will be given little guidance on day to day tasks. There is a lot of trust in me from my leadership team and I appreciate that.
Pros
Free lunch, snacks, social outings, unlimited PTO
Cons
Long hours during crunch times, confusing career paths
Greatly disappointed in all aspects. Politics and disorganization.
Software Engineer - System (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FL11 May 2018
Came into the organizational excited and willing to work long hour days and build something amazing. Which I have already done in other companies.Then quickly realized you are working long hour days and wasting your time, for all the politics and disorganization. When you can forecast a situation in advanced and tell management, then get ignored or yelled at. The common theme is cover your behind. Lastly the nepotism is ridicules. Plenty of people with experience in the field, while the person next to them has a Masters. I am amazed that they didn't or don't check for degrees.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Disorganized management.
Best place to learn
Manufacturing Internship (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FL4 March 2018
Every day was a new challenge and had the best time working as an intern. It gave me an opportunity to showcase my talent and also helped me how to be in a corporate world.
Horrible company to work for!
Sourcer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FL27 December 2017
The work environment is horrible. There is no kind of team work and if you are over 35 years old, don't bother applying. When the new supervisor was hired, the entire team went downhill fast. He favored the 25 year olds and treated everyone else on the team disrespectfully. So happy to be out of the hostile work environment.
Pros
pay
Cons
work environment
Chaotic environment
NPI Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FL16 November 2017
A typical day of work would include rushing to my desk, clocking in on ADP and immediately start placing orders for prototype materials and tooling. Arrive early, work through lunch and stay late. Work from home after hours and on weekends

What I learned from my experience there was the more hours I put in, the less I felt appreciated. It actually took a toll on my health and well-being. as well as my family who I felt like I'd been avoiding. The stress that the job caused, created a very high impact on my social life.

As far as management goes, it's about a 50/50 split. 50% good; 50% NOT so good.

Workplace culture is very diverse, although many of the employees hired there are from a large electronics corporation. With that being said, there are a lot of the "other life" practices in place, which in turn causes "cliques". If you're not with a particular "in crowd" then you're not going to be working there for very long. Just my opinion of course.

The hardest part of the job was constant pressure to do more and fast. Although I was very capable of doing so, when being rushed, yelled at and publicly humiliated by management, I tended to make mistakes at times. I would admit my mistakes, but that was never acknowledged as a valid reason. We're all human, and we all make mistakes. Owning up to it is what any professional would do, and I did.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of something unique and amazing. Excellent pay and benefits. Lots of very creative and talented employees.
Pros
Free lunches, snacks and beverages.
Cons
Hostile and chaotic environment.
a great place to work!!
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL29 September 2017
A great place to work if you are looking for any technology company. The company provides every benefit to the employee. the project I worked on was the best project I have ever worked.
Pros
work culture
Cons
location of company
unable to specify
(consultant) IT/Operations Sr. Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CA7 September 2017
Unfortunately I am unable to specify at this point in time. If and when that does change I would have no issues updating any relevant details here in this forum
Pros
unable to specify
Cons
unable to specify
Highly recommend
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FL10 May 2017
Enjoyed working with the amazing company and it's people. Would highly recommend working here....to be a part of the future. I don't have more to say.
Pros
Innovation, Flexible, Food
Cons
Was a contractor
Amazing Technology, Amazing Workspace, Wonky Leadership
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Florida24 April 2017
I thrived under the right management at Magic Leap, and sank faster than the Titanic under incompetent replacement management (replaced because C staff weren't getting along creatively). This company has all the potential in the world to be a game changer, and the amazing developer companies and professionals with whom they're partnering are truly the most exciting in the world. However, without the right creative visionary leadership, they're floundering, and arguably not designing a remotely accurate marketing plan for the right early adopter demographic. If you have the opportunity to work for this company, it's absolutely something to consider (for the benefits alone), but still a gamble depending on where you are currently, because at this point it seriously may not exist in a couple years. Magic Leap risks being lapped quite easily by larger behemoths such as Apple and Samsung in a very short period of time.
Pros
Benefits, hours, pay were all the best of my career
Cons
incompetent management, backstabbing, land grabbing, infighting, cold uncaring leadership, poor cooperation across teams
Ok Place to work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Florida17 April 2017
This company has a lot of ups, number one being the people who you work with, also the biggest problem. The issues are fixable and they are attempting to solve them. A lot of growing pains.
Love this place!
Character Technical Developer (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FL28 February 2017
Great company with amazing tech! Love everything about it! I've learned so much here, and continue to learn more and more everyday!
great place to work
Sub-Contractor (Current Employee) –  Magicleap19 December 2016
wouldnt complain or change anything because it is absolutely awesome. They really try to take care of the employees and adhere to their needs which is very refreshing to see in a workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magic Leap. Our community is ready to answer.