Mad Science

Mad Science Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
very poor Mangement
As a student, it's tough to carry kits from one school to another.if you don't have a car.
And not paying salary regularly and not proper guidance provided.
Work life
Horrible experience, do not work for these people they are unprofessional and do not appreciate their employees. They claim the goal is child’s happiness but all they’re after is money a bunch of greedy self involved individuals no team work at all
pay is absolutely ridiculous
Do not work for mad science. They do not value their employees and expect so much from them. They only pay minimum wage and you are not paid to pick up equipment every friday evening.
Part time
The job is a part time position spread out through the week. The most hours you will get is 5-8 hrs a week. Travel time is daunting at most as you are required to travel within GTA area at a given time. The experience is great for those aspiring w be teachers.
Do not work here.
They exploit you. It is not 27 $ and hour, its 27$ a class. After all the driving, and having to arrive early and stay late to set up, it's not worth it. They do not train you at all. It's awful. They just give you a curriculum and hope it works out. They dont even check background checks. I still havent recieved my paycheck after 4 weeks. Do not work here unless you're into being screwed over. Management is TERRIBLE. Red flags GALORE.
Misrepresentation of job description, incompetent office members, unpaid work
From the online description, I thought working for Mad Science was going to be a fantastic experience. The only good thing about this job was being able to learn and teach young children about science. Although that is a fantastic benefit of this job, the cons heavily outweigh the single pro. I suggest you continue looking for a more reliable employment opportunity.

To begin, the job description is highly misleading and deceptive.

The job description indicates that you will be paid $27.00 an hour. However, it fails to mention that that amount is per class and ONLY for one-hour classes. If you do not teach a one hour class, you receive significantly less. This information was given AFTER you accept the position. In order to successfully teach a class, you first have to learn the content; they do provide an “orientation” for each kit but it was all heavily rushed through and in order to properly teach the students the material, you have to re-teach the material to yourself. You must also prepare materials BEFORE each class in order for the class to run smoothly and so that you are not wasting 50% of the time dedicated to teaching students just to set up. All of this preparation time is not included in your pay; you are being paid less than minimum wage in the end and working your butt off. You also only get approximately 2.5 to 3 hours a WEEK if you are lucky, so this job will not be of any help in the financial department to you. They also say that they will pay for mileage to and from the schools, what they also do not mention until you accepted the position is that you
 - more...
Very good work environment
working at mad science was a very good work environment, informative and educational experience working with children again. Being able to teach and entertain children was a great experience.
Part time presentor
They advertise 27$ an hour for part time presentor. However that's only for the 1 hour of class you teach, and they only compensate your mileage at .28 cents after 20km and station you in school boards that could potentially be an hour drive. It's almost impossible to cover your shifts if you have an illness, because you find your own coverage. You meet every Friday to exchange kits and that's not paid out until the end of the 6 weeks IF you're lucky. I'm still awaiting my last pay check for working every Friday for kit exchanges and its been since mid December and they haven't paid me because their staff manager quit, which also isnt my problem. They have you do your own pay log. Print out your own travel documents. The pay is horrendous for the work that you do. The people are great but the way they advertise this job is atrocious. Their communication is ineffective and almost non existant. Dont waste your time.
Pros
Shool board opportunity
Cons
Communication, travel, unpaid wages, do your own pay log
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mad Science?
fun and rewarding job if you like kids
My time there was very short, I had to quit because balancing the job along with school and my other job was too much and the cons waaay outweighed the pros. I love kids, so that's why I was excited about the job. I originally applied to teach classes in school, but my college schedule did not match up so they brought me on as a Birthday Party presenter, which apparently was not common at the time. The drives to people's houses was very annoying, not to mention having to store trunks of stuff in your house until you need it. When I was hired on, they told me it was not common to have birthday parties in the late afternoons on weekends, mostly they were in the mornings. I thought this was great, as my other job was exactly the opposite, and often had shifts after 5pm on weekends. So what happens as soon as I start getting scheduled??? A birthday party in the afternoon, an hour+ away from home, and a shift from my other job at the same time!!!! So that stress was horrible, and ending up calling in sick to my other job (1. because I physically couldn't make it, but 2. because my stress gave me such an intense headache). There were weekends where I got no parties at all, and the other birthday party employee got them all?? and then vice versa some weekends...???? They do compensate your mileage, but not by much. I worked at a not-for-profit charity and they gave me more money per kilometer than Mad Science did and they're a charity! The parents of the birthday kids hardly ever tipped, and they did not control their crazy kids when they were being disruptive or loud during a show, - more...
Pros
Fun to work with kids
Cons
lots of driving, no consistency with schedule, kids can get crazy, heavy lifting of equipment, sometimes dangerous tricks (dry ice, gases)
Fun!
This job was a blast. Teaching little kids science, while not always easy, was fun.

You go in to meetings and learn about some experiments etc, get acquainted with the system, and then get a schedule for teaching. Every week you pick up a new kit for a new pre-made lesson.

Lessons depend on a) how you are at "public" speaking in front of kids b) how you handle children in a classroom setting and c) if you make the lesson enjoyable for them.

Charismatic people do great at this job, people in a shell can LEARN to come out of it, but it takes practice.

Pay was/is/seemed low and would have been more worthwhile if my teaching degree played a bigger part in the pay.
Pros
fun, exciting, the joy on kids faces
Cons
back and forth scheduling, low pay
Mad Science is the world’s leading science enrichment provider delivering unique, entertaining and educational hands-on science experiences for kids
Mad Science is a fun interactive place to work if you love children.I improved my classroom management and teaching abilities. I really enjoy working for mad science. every co worker is amazing and you never feel left out. the classes we teach to our students are fun and education filled. The hardest part of this job is not knowing the children very long because you are always going to different schools and the sessions are not long. The most enjoyable part of the job is having the kids make the science project and become extremely excited about it.
Pros
Pay for your mileage
Cons
Short hours
Great Jump Point for New Teachers
If you're a recent teacher graduate then this is an amazing opportunity to workshop K-6 Science & Technology curriculum in Ontario. The training is amazing and you will definitely bring experiments and ways of presenting content into your classroom moving forward.

For strong workers there are ample opportunities to move up through the instructor levels and areas of work. I gave a low rating for salary as sometimes the hours can be tricky and there are no benefits.

It's an amazing work environment with supportive management who look after you even when you've left.
Pros
Experience, work culture, fun.
Cons
Hours & Benefits
Great management, mediocre work environment
Enjoyable job, open hours, room for expansion, exceptional management.
Mad Science is a great place to start
Being an instructor at mad science has allowed me to explore my capabilities as an instructor for younger children. I worked independently for each class which last one hour and it gave me a lot of control over the structure of each class. The hardest part of the job is traveling to different schools everyday and having to locate them since they are sometimes outside of my neighbourhood. The most enjoyable part of this job is getting to work with children and making science enjoyable and interesting for them.
Pros
Good pay, mileage compensation, great supervisor
Cons
not enough hours per week
Flexible, productive, and fun work place
This is a great part-time job for someone with an interest in teaching in an out-of-the-box style.
Pros
very flexible and fun
Cons
a lot of traveling
The job itself was great, management was not
Loved the job itself, I enjoy working with children and the aspects of this job (teaching science was great).
Management I would not rate as great, communication was one sided

Co-workers were great

Travel time

Working with the kids
Pros
enjoyed the daily activities with the children, great fit for me
Cons
communication