Mad Science Employee Reviews

Part time presentor
Presentor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 January 2019
They advertise 27$ an hour for part time presentor. However that's only for the 1 hour of class you teach, and they only compensate your mileage at .28 cents after 20km and station you in school boards that could potentially be an hour drive. It's almost impossible to cover your shifts if you have an illness, because you find your own coverage. You meet every Friday to exchange kits and that's not paid out until the end of the 6 weeks IF you're lucky. I'm still awaiting my last pay check for working every Friday for kit exchanges and its been since mid December and they haven't paid me because their staff manager quit, which also isnt my problem. They have you do your own pay log. Print out your own travel documents. The pay is horrendous for the work that you do. The people are great but the way they advertise this job is atrocious. Their communication is ineffective and almost non existant. Dont waste your time.
Pros
Shool board opportunity
Cons
Communication, travel, unpaid wages, do your own pay log
fun and rewarding job if you like kids
Birthday Party Presenter (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 August 2018
My time there was very short, I had to quit because balancing the job along with school and my other job was too much and the cons waaay outweighed the pros. I love kids, so that's why I was excited about the job. I originally applied to teach classes in school, but my college schedule did not match up so they brought me on as a Birthday Party presenter, which apparently was not common at the time. The drives to people's houses was very annoying, not to mention having to store trunks of stuff in your house until you need it. When I was hired on, they told me it was not common to have birthday parties in the late afternoons on weekends, mostly they were in the mornings. I thought this was great, as my other job was exactly the opposite, and often had shifts after 5pm on weekends. So what happens as soon as I start getting scheduled??? A birthday party in the afternoon, an hour+ away from home, and a shift from my other job at the same time!!!! So that stress was horrible, and ending up calling in sick to my other job (1. because I physically couldn't make it, but 2. because my stress gave me such an intense headache). There were weekends where I got no parties at all, and the other birthday party employee got them all?? and then vice versa some weekends...???? They do compensate your mileage, but not by much. I worked at a not-for-profit charity and they gave me more money per kilometer than Mad Science did and they're a charity! The parents of the birthday kids hardly ever tipped, and they did not control their crazy kids when they were being disruptive or loud during a show,  more... which left me being the "parent" and wasting time calming them down instead of doing the demonstrations. My training was also laughable, I had 1 day of training (a few hours really) and I left feeling so confused. Sometimes my tricks didn't work, or I did them wrong (as you do...you make mistakes when you're new somewhere???) In particular, there were 2 that constantly ruined my show, and they were from the same "party add-on" that parents paid (lots of) extra money for. The one just never worked properly, even though I followed every step in the instruction book (which was incomplete, out of order, or incorrect sometimes) and the second one was dangerous! It created this vinegar-y smelling gas that burned your eyes, and it was SO hard to get the perfect measurements so if you added less nothing happened, and if you added more you'd hurt your eyes or the child's eyes. If I didn't have to travel hours away for a party with crazy kids and uncooperative parents, and all my tricks were safe and easy to do, I would love the job because I truly do love kids. I would recommend this job if you are not looking for something steady, and don't mind driving a lot for work. They say you don't need knowledge of science, but I do believe having some interest or knowledge helps to avoid boring, uninspired or unsafe parties.  less
Pros
Fun to work with kids
Cons
lots of driving, no consistency with schedule, kids can get crazy, heavy lifting of equipment, sometimes dangerous tricks (dry ice, gases)
Mad Science is the world’s leading science enrichment provider delivering unique, entertaining and educational hands-on science experiences for kids
Instructor (Current Employee) –  North York, ON31 May 2016
Mad Science is a fun interactive place to work if you love children.I improved my classroom management and teaching abilities. I really enjoy working for mad science. every co worker is amazing and you never feel left out. the classes we teach to our students are fun and education filled. The hardest part of this job is not knowing the children very long because you are always going to different schools and the sessions are not long. The most enjoyable part of the job is having the kids make the science project and become extremely excited about it.
Pros
Pay for your mileage
Cons
Short hours
Great Jump Point for New Teachers
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2015
If you're a recent teacher graduate then this is an amazing opportunity to workshop K-6 Science & Technology curriculum in Ontario. The training is amazing and you will definitely bring experiments and ways of presenting content into your classroom moving forward.

For strong workers there are ample opportunities to move up through the instructor levels and areas of work. I gave a low rating for salary as sometimes the hours can be tricky and there are no benefits.

It's an amazing work environment with supportive management who look after you even when you've left.
Pros
Experience, work culture, fun.
Cons
Hours & Benefits
Great management, mediocre work environment
Party Host (Former Employee) –  barrie22 January 2014
Enjoyable job, open hours, room for expansion, exceptional management.
Mad Science is a great place to start
Intructor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC5 June 2013
Being an instructor at mad science has allowed me to explore my capabilities as an instructor for younger children. I worked independently for each class which last one hour and it gave me a lot of control over the structure of each class. The hardest part of the job is traveling to different schools everyday and having to locate them since they are sometimes outside of my neighbourhood. The most enjoyable part of this job is getting to work with children and making science enjoyable and interesting for them.
Pros
Good pay, mileage compensation, great supervisor
Cons
not enough hours per week
Flexible, productive, and fun work place
Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 August 2012
This is a great part-time job for someone with an interest in teaching in an out-of-the-box style.
Pros
very flexible and fun
Cons
a lot of traveling
The job itself was great, management was not
Visiting Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 July 2012
Loved the job itself, I enjoy working with children and the aspects of this job (teaching science was great).
Management I would not rate as great, communication was one sided
Co-workers were great
Travel time
Working with the kids
Pros
enjoyed the daily activities with the children, great fit for me
Cons
communication