Mad Oilfield Solutions

Mad Oilfield Solutions Reviews: Working at Mad Oilfield Solutions

Canada23 reviews

Good company to work for

Never had any problems. Seemed like the company was having financial trouble at times. Liked to sit people in camp alot. Alot of nice co workers and willing to help you

Pros

Camp provided. Flights after 3 month probation.

Cons

Not alot of hours

Winter warriors experience it's good

In my experience, if you want to work a super long rotation with only a few days off winter warriors is great. It's corring rig support with vac and water.Their pay is slightly less than other companies, but they will train you and keep you busy. Great company to start with. I couldn't do the 24 and 4, because my job in the summer is very demanding. So if you can't take a break after the winter run you wilk be burnt out . Also they don't give you a place to stay on those 4 days(at least not in Fort McMurray) so you have to travel on your days off. So essentially its a 25.5 and 2.5 off. Not good for seeing family. Also you don't get paid for those travel days.The management on site was amazing. In the office not so much, family run and operated. You can be ignored. Not uncommon in vac trucking jobs anyways.The comradery on site was fantastic. Work culture was good, revolves around safety. If you stay, they'll keep you.

Pros

Stability/ consistency, Good co-workers, Safety first, Training available, Often provide work vehicle, Good on site management

Cons

Bad job-work and life balance, Relocate on 4 days off, Management can overlook operators, Slightly less pay

hard place to fit in unless your family, met some good people, none of them work there now.

critical work environment, lots of paranoid leadership, undermining activities and tons of nepotism senior managment continually plays mind games and attempts to analyze everydecision you make. It was a toxic place to work and they triee to make it difficult for me to be hired by other companies when I left.

Worst interview process

They hire you, you assume you're hired. Then get to site, to find out if you are not experienced after you already told you weren't and they hire you anyway. Then train you, then go on to do the actual job, then they fire you after you already have been doing the job to say you don't have enough experience. The job is very simplistic, VAC truck isn't a hard thing to overcome. Also they do driver evaluation after they hire you. Which normally you would do that as part of your interview, therefore you don't waste anyone's time including your own. They are in remote location, so for me I would have to drive 2.5 hours to be hire to find out if I have the job after already leaving another job for this one, because they told me I was hired, then fires me after a week after I was fully up front with them about my lack of experience. Even though I passed driver evaluation and passed training they fire me for lack of experience.

Pros

Cons

horribly unprofessional and management

Micro managing till you quit

Day one was the best day, the second best day was the last day.The middle was learning that your job was every job in company that was handed to you because someone else didn’t have time.The field employees are awesome and supervisors.Camp and staff are great.Mechanical staff great .Anyone with manager in there title stay away unless you have no choice but to talk to them.Wages are lowest in Alberta Equipment is beat you don’t have a set unit thats yours so expect 1-10 a shift.If you are hard up and need a filler job till you find a better one you found the right place.Newly bought by vertex let’s hope that they clean upper management out and the place would flourish.

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

It’s Mad

Lazy need not apply.

I worked for MAD for just under a year. I had experience around heavy equipment and oilfield work prior, but not to any depth when it came to their services. This is truly a sink or swim place of work - and I enjoyed that. These guys took me in, and trained me to operate a variety of different trucks and their systems. There are many complaints here that I have read about how terrible this place is. Sure - I can maybe see that through the lense of someone that has a terrible work ethic and doesn’t try to work themselves into the crew. Camp - the camp attendants and cooks are always very friendly and do the best they can everyday. Flights - Fair flight program and the person that looks over the flights is very is easy to speak with and very kind. Not many companies even offer flights anymore and these guys havnt stopped it. Work is up and down like anything in the oilfield. But from my experience, they never lay the “men” off. The drivers don’t loose hours. Or flights. They will lay office staff off before thinking about laying off drivers. This all comes back to not being lazy. If you are a go-getter you will always have hours. I suggest working for MAD, just expect to work and do your best to get along with the crew. It’s tight knit, and they do a great job. People that lack common sense and work ethic are weeded out pretty quick. Usually by the drivers before management ever knows.

Pros

Flights, Good Hours, Fun Crew

Cons

24 Day rotations, time away from home

My truth about MAD

I was told about some of the negative reviews by one of my coworkers the other day so I decided to log on and see for myself. Well I decided to leave my own review, an honest review to help people make an informed decision.I started with MAD in the spring of 2016, and after my interview I was asked by one of my interviewers "what have you heard about MAD?". I said "I heard that you guys fire a lot of people" and laughed. It was then that my interviewer explained to me, we are looking for a certain type of people. He explained that we are looking for team members that are a MAD fit. People that do good work, take safety seriously, help each other out and that are willing to learn. I thought about it and as an employer why wouldn't that be the type of person. Sure there are always areas for improvement, MAD has room to improve, but I would honestly say we are leaps and bounds ahead of our competitors. I've been around for the struggles, seen the ups and downs, the boom and bust. With all of that I also have never seen them take anything away from the operators. When everybody and there dog was receiving wage cuts, not one operator at MAD that received a wage cut. They didn't take away steak night, then didn't cancel their flight program or cancel tier hours (after so long with the company they give you guaranteed hours in case there isn't enough field jobs that day for everyone).Since I've started with MAD I've learned a ton, they've invested their time into me and earned my loyalty. I feel like I'm part of a team, I come to work everyday and I look forward to getting to -

Pros

Good people, camp, flights

Cons

Long periods away from home, the initial computer training (customer orientations)

Great Place to work, as far as work goes

been with these guys for a long time and there are lots of us! after reading the reviews thought i would give my opinion. they always find work and keep the team moving. good benefits, good culture, great team work. i would and do recommend these guys all the time.

Pros

Flights, Camp, great culture

Cons

work away from home

Management treats people as expendable

The general starting wage class 1 or 3 is $26 an hour, luckily there is generally a lot of hours up to 16 a day. The people you work with are good but the people you work for are out for themselves and understandably so it's a family-run business and if you're not married into it then you are treated very poorly and unfairly and unfortunately as they say it all rolls down hill to the drivers

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Extremely high turn around, most never make it 6 months and very few ever make it a year

Bad company to work for.

Use to be an excellent company to work for but has gone down hill. It’s all about family members. Employees mean nothing to them. You are treated like you are lower class than them.

Pros

Flight package

Cons

No such thing as a raise

Equipment sucks/Camp Sucks/Fake people

I worked for these guys for just over a month and it was a joke. If you drive your own vehicle and park it at the shop/camp it’s probably going to be stolen or broken into from the natives in Lac La Biche. DOT has a hard on for them, guys would get pulled in for level 1 inspections all the time. 5 bucks a hour under everyone else, pretty much all east coasters because they feel Albertans act to privileged. They get rid of ya before your 3 months is up so you don’t get Benefits and they don’t need cause. Company seems like it’s having money problems

Pros

Oil field tickets

Cons

Equipment/ Shady people/ money

Not a bad company but better options out there.

Lots of highway driving, not necessarily a bad thing. Mostly automatic trucks.... Nice schedule 20/10 lots of time to have a life and actually do stuff. The food at the mad camp is far from healthy if your into fried stuff every night no problem. Pay isn’t great and don’t expect a rise. Too much safety and stupid unnecessary procedures. For example wearing rain all the time even when it’s 30 degrees transfering fluid. And very biased, definitely have their favourites. All and all I would probably work there again just for theschedule

Awesome Company

Nice equipment. Team dynamic is great! This is a company that stands behind their core values and aren't just talked about. Has the team members best interest in mind.

Great place to work!

Friendly environment. Supervisors and Dispatch are always available to help if you have any questions or problems. If they don't know the answer/solution they will find someone who does. The equipment is pretty nice and well maintained. The training process is very thorough making sure you are comfortable with running the units before you are sent out on a job yourself.

Everyone is always willing to pitch in and help where needed

Relaxed and enjoyable place to work. Everyone is friendly and helpful and ready to work as a team. It's a growing company that has persevered through a tough economy

Great learning

I learnt a lot of new things working with MAD. They're a growing company and they deal with a lot of changes due to the evolving industry. Great team.

Horrible place to work

The first thing I saw when I drove in was “we are always hiring MAD people” painted on a truck. I should’ve ran right then. They don’t care about anyone. They messed up my pay multiple times and pretty much told me to suck it up and deal with it. No chances for advancement in the company unless you’re a brown noser. If you’re not you get the worst jobs if any.

Beware!! False promises, high turnover, inexperienced new hires

There is a reason for the very high turnover rate, BEWARE!!! Lots of false promises about workload, very few on going contracts, mostly sporadic plant turn around work where they hire a lot just to get thru then work dry's up

Pros

equipment

Cons

upper management

Great place to get training and move on to a better company. They are basically a training company. Very high turn over of operators.

20/10 rotation is good. Camp on site. Laundry, Chef in camp. Food is good. Rooms maintained. Camp staff is great. Great equipment when it's properly maintained. A few good supervisors, rest don't want you to bother them. No work for a day or a week you sit in camp. If you complain about it they say " that's what you signed up for, so suck it up". The driver/trainers are pretty good.

If you want the jail experience join these guys

These guys lie through their teeth say how they have all this work coming up just to try and keep you there. They feel like working for them is a privilege and you owe them everything. They can’t get a contract to save their life as to much dead weight in office I mean overhead to pay out there family huge contracts but don’t pay their operators anything make you sit in camp. They don’t trust there employees so much that place is locked down like fort KNOX

Worst experience in general for oil patch

I had the pleasure of getting to know what a scam/sham this outfit is in the fall of 2017 and what a nightmare it was they hire lots an lots of guys with a teaspoon of work when your training is completed. Save your self the headaches and huge dissapointment of it all and stay clear of this joke of a company .the cook listens to everything that is said and reports back to owner and management. Getting your safety gear is the biggest pain ever checking in an out of this high security trailer lmfao. Main building is like a prison to get in an out of. Sit for days on end waiting for work. In the end I couldn't take it anymore and quit one morning and was drove down to local cafe until I could get out of town and they will deduct from u all your course costs so be ware you have been warned .never go near this establishment .. It will drive you madd lol also 1 more thing the rooms in the camp are like animal kennels . Food is nothing to write home about either anyways keep looking because you can do better. Never would return in 3 lifetimes

Pros

Food

Cons

Everything except the food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mad Oilfield Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement