MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co Limited

Working at MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co Limited: Employee Reviews

Canada65 reviews

greatworkcompanyemployeepaybenefitmacleanpeople

Free Coffee in lunch room

MacLean has great HR and Managers. The pay isn't the greatest and some of the high school mentality employees can be annoying. However the afternoon shift offers $1.50 premium and there are very nice people that work on THAT shift.

Christmas Dinner that we all enjoyed

I loved working there they looked after there employees when it was too hot we got to sit in the cafe and where given popsicles they have a great plan for employees. Wish I had never been laid off or I would still be there . Great companyThe people were all friendly and spoke when you saw them. The place is clean and well maintained, washrooms , lunchroom

Insights into MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co Limited

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Not bad

Good group of people. Decent management. Busy place. Atmosphere is good. Just be ready to do not much in the summer. as soon as the shop hits (35-40?) its heat breaks all day every half hour.

Cons

Heat breaks during summer

New things to do everyday

Worked for a short time. Receieved another job opportunity where I am home every night. Great to work for. Perks are good. I left on good terms. If my job I have doesn't work out, I would go back to Maclean.

Pros

Company truck, gas is paid, travel pay, food is paid, housing is paid, overtime

Cons

I did not have cons at the time I was with Maclean

Productive and fun work environment, very busy days go by quickly

Excellent benefits, highly competitive wages, great co-workers, yearly bonus, paid sick days, new equipment, clean facility. Plenty of overtime available for those interested.

Productive workplace with cool people

Work as Frontend developer:- agile software development- great support from management / seniors- feel appreciated for accomplished work- good PTO and benefits - collaborative work with shared goals All work has followed the Agile Methodology so daily standup meetings and biweekly demos / sprint planning with backend, ui/ux, senior developers, electrical design team and managers.

Pros

Excellent work life balance, General feeling of work happiness, supportive

Fast paced and competitive work experience

Spent over 2 years working for MacLean and have enjoyed every minute of it. It has provided me with goal/objective along with testing me and making me grow. Ability to go from concept thru delivery of products is quick and exciting vs competitors who get trapped in long drawn out developments. Company has grown significantly in the past few years and continuously works to improve all areas and aspects of itself. Has become much more organized with more precise goals being set for individuals and departments.

It is a job where you can learn and get good skills for your future. Management is very comprehending with the employees, worrying about keeping a safe and clean workplace. People are charming and always able to help.

Pros

Very competitive, good benefit, starting 3 weeks of vacation, 6 sick/personal problem days, Uniform, Good location

Cons

Wage below the average in the industry (the company makes good money), Difficult to get higher position

Exciting place to work, continually growing and developing

MacLean is at the forefront of innovation which makes it an exciting place to work now and in the future. The business is continually growing.Benefits are good and good people to work work.

Doesn’t have enough work to support the amount of employees, thinks little of the employees

Management is less the useless, very rarely do they fix any issues. Yet complain all the time when the same issue keeps coming up.Believes that if they just hire more people work will get done faster, regardless of training or knowledge.The employees that have been there for 10+years will tell you that the company has gone severely downhill since they started.

Pros

The coffee machine is decent

Cons

Management doesn’t know what goes on out on the floor

Lots of wasted potential

The work is good when the parts are there but even then quality has dropped off a bit so even then your waiting on rework. Most of the management are incompetent. The work environment is toxic. The people for the most part are good but the place encourages too much high school drama. No one is ever held accountable. The day/night shift battle is at a all time high with management not realizing how much it hurts the business. Due to the lack of any actual consequences people just slack off. A lot of “this is how we have always done it” gets thrown around. The place has the potential but just keeps taking advantage of the hard workers and praises the lazy ones. Overall the work is good but you have to have a ridiculously high tolerance for drama and poor management skills from the top down.

Great place to work to gain lots of experience and different skill sets

Great place to work just sadly the work comes and goes. You ether have so much work your weeks fly by or you have no work at all and time goes by very slowly A lot of bullying within the plant that seems to go unnoticed especially within leadhands and new hires. The turnover in certain departments is a clear indication it’s not the job itself making people leave but the person in charge of the department Lots of room for growth and all in all a great company. For anyone considering applying, make sure you can handle high stress environments and have a thick skin to deal with the bullies of the plant

Pros

Great benefits Every weekend off Room for growth

Cons

Long hours A lot of bullying and harassment Lots of work or nothing at all to do

People who take pride in their work. A family owned, Canadian company with global reach.

Steady shifts with ample vacation. Typical day involves solving challenging problems and working with good people. There is a sense of fun within the team and everyone pulls together when needed.

Pros

Great pay and benefits, Great work/life balance, opportunities to learn and grow, strong focus on promoting from within.

Cons

Orientation could be better.

Great place to work.

MacLean Engineering in Owen Sound is a great place to work. I am a long-term employee and have always been treated fairly. The company cares about its employees; safety is a top priority. It is a very clean and tidy place to work with a healthy workplace environment.

Great place to work and learn new skills

A great place to work with interesting projects happening. Everyone is very helpful and friendly and willing to share their knowledge. Great overall atmosphere in the workplace.

Great company. The team at the Owen Sound location are fantastic. People are friendly and get along well. Overtime is optional.

Shifts are steady days or afternoons, afternoons are a series of 4d at 10hrs. There are opportunities to come in at the ground level and work your way up and the ability to apprentice. Hardest part of the job is learning all the different types of equipment produced on site.

Pros

Steady hours, good pay and benefits, solid management team.

Amazing work/life balance

MacLean Engineering has adapted with the times and really focuses on providing a good work/life balance for their employees. Great overall atmosphere in the work place, truly treat us like family.

Pros

3 weeks vacation, wages, culture

great place o work, if you want to work.

An amazing place to work, if you want to work. Lots of opportunities for OT. Room for error is small, quality is expected or find the door. Employees are great to work with, good team work. If you want to slack off, or find reasons not to come to work, you will be filtered out. One of the best places I have worked, hourly rate is lower compared to other places, but this place has not laid off since 2012. If you are a go getter and enjoy working with a team this place is for you.

Pros

4 x 10hr day

Brutal place to work for

Show up everyday on time, stay for overtime every week, never miss a day and then get fired two weeks before your 3 month probation without any rhyme or reason as to why they’re letting you go… yeah great company to work for… NOT!!!!

Pros

Leaving the stupid place at the end of the day…

Cons

Everything, everyone!!

Pretty poor work experience

Pretty complex machines to build and they offer zero training. No info on build sequencing, so if you have no experience then you don't really know what to do next with your tasks, especially if you're on a build by yourself (which happens pretty frequently). Afternoon shift supervisor lacked machine knowledge and the task-management was poor. My first day: "You go work with this guy". Overall felt like co-workers were unhelpful (with some exceptions of course), certainly no incentive to help you out doesn't really help this. Some days I'd be walking from bay to bay to try to find work I could get done (the sup was gone pretty regularly), which makes those 10 hour shifts DRAG. If you're entry-level, I'd avoid this place unless you want a serious challenge with no training wheels.

Pros

3 day weekends

Cons

No training, no help.

Everyone is a manager, but no business skills, management leadership. Sinking ship, behind times in R&D, bolters are numbered as most companies have advanced greater than MacLean.

Pros

Cons

Scheduler should be removed, no business in position he holds.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement