Mackenzie Investments logo
Mackenzie Investments

Mackenzie Investments Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

hectic and supervisors constantly watching and grading your performance.

Had one supervisor for 6 months who acted like a tin horn dictator and expected perfect customer calls. He would take you into a room and play your call with the customer and analyzed word by word. He had no people skills for the staff and went back to his other job. After he left had 4 trainee supervisors over my last 6 months there. Training was fly by the pants mentality. It's either sink or swim. I was hired with 9 other staff and after 1 year only half the staff were left, sort of like the trenches in WW1.Culture is ok as they have staff parties at work and in the evening. If you are an excellent employee they treat you like a rock star, ie quarterly rewards for outstanding performance, and if you are average they treat you like a criminal

Pros

free lunches, quarterly parties

Cons

felt like a prisoner in the Russian gulag, constantly being watched by supervisors and staff from other areas on the floor

Lots of changes in recent years

There are some great and talented people. Recent changes resulted in some turnover. The market is challenging because of competition and demand for lower fees and new products.

Pros

Work/Life balance

Cons

Too many changes, need to re-focus and move on

Good overall company

Lots of positive changes. Good future. Very strong culture with a good amount of team effort within the sales function.

Not the place to advance your IT career

Magic words are synergy means out source you work to cut cost. You will not advance here. It's a follow the leader environment, if the leader sinks you will sink with them. If you are bright they test you to pieces and if you survive you may have a chance of promotion, but unlikely. Put in your time and leave, don't hang around.

Pros

May be a learning opportunity.

Cons

All depends where the synergy wind blows for the day

team work

fun place to work at. supportive mamangement and good environment to work in. Lots of project work and interesting challenges

Bring your Kid's Day

I like the idea of bring your kids to work, it gives encouragement to the children and they will know the actual environment for the corporate world.

Stimulating working environmennts

Mackenzie Financial is a major component of Investor's Group. I was involved in mutual fund valuations, portfolio analysis and various reconciliations. It was required to consistently meet deadlines with full accuracy and disclosure. My responsibilities at Guardian Group and Royal Trust were essentially the same. My most recent position at Matrix is a sales related position soliciting print advertising in trade magazines. All have been positive work environments, all of which would highly recommend me with assuredness.

Experience

It was a great company to work for. The organization focused on customer satisfaction and growth and development of employees.

Pros

Continuous developement

Good place overall

Work is subjective, depending on which team you worked with. My team was very supportive and I had a good working relationship with them. I wanted to be considered for a sales position, but they didn't have any openings so I had to look elsewhere. The vacation time at the beginning isn't the greatest but after one full year they tagged on another week for time off. Benefits when I was working there were really good; however from what I understand there were some changes after I left. I hope that the work environment is still good overall.

Pros

Tuition reimbursment, good relationship with colleagues

Cons

Work through lunches sometimes or evenings to get work done, but were recognized for hard work.

Gud place to work

Project involved scoping of a new financial planning tool which is used by Wealth Management advisors and financial planners to enable the account holders to generate a recommended plan by capturing financial details like assets, liabilities and goals of the account holders. This application is seamlessly integrated with multiple front office middle office and back office applications involving the entire trade life cycle of capital market instruments

Jobs at Mackenzie Investments

See more jobs

Great for starting your career

Professional environment with a team with high business acumen. -Mature company with lots of processes in place. -They have a good compensation package which includes employer matching employee share purchases and RSP contribution in addition to the regular employer RSP contribution based in years of service.

Great team support in order to get the work done at the end of the day. Provides stress buster events in order for staff to have a break from the busy season.

Cons

Professional workplace, efficiently run and managed

Working at MacKenzie Financial was a very positive experience for me, even as a short-term contract employee. Management was very professional, ensuring that all employees were kept up to date on the day to day business of the office. I enjoyed a great relationship with my co-workers, which was a good, positive mix of people. As the job itself involved data entry, the hardest part was pushing through the monotony of the job. At the same time, he most enjoyable part was seeing those very tasks through and ending the day with the satisfaction of a job well done. A good company with a ot of respect for their staff, full-time or otherwise.

great coworkers, great managment at lower levels

Challenging, rewarding, difficult, frustrating, boring, exciting.. all in a day's work. Entire industry is going through a major transition phase that will ultimately be best for all investors, but has caused and will continue to cause major changes at macro and micro levels at company.

Fast paced, challenging work environment. Micro management can lead to needless stress.

Client Services role, dealing directly with high-net worth financial advisors. Small dedicated teams in different branch offices must coordinate to manage the pool of advisors that qualify for this increased level of service. Expectation is that you will follow through with a call from start to resolution. This will sometimes conflict with your requirement to answer a certain number of calls per hour. Quality is one of the key focuses for this team. Compensation is decent. Annual bonus is determined by your ability to meet quality and productivity goals.

Pros

Small team, lots of interaction. Develop relationships with your callers due to frequent interaction.

Cons

Micro management, poor overall management structure. worked is continually pushed on you to avoid paying overtime.

Not a bad place to start, but limited room for advancement.

Work is team based, and your enjoyment and success is heavily determined by the other members of your sales team. Long tenure in the office, as such opportunities for growth are almost non-existent. Opinions of your direct manager have more impact on your performance bonus than actual performance does.

Pros

Pleasant co-workers, networking opportunities, exposure to product managers

Cons

Poor Management, office politics, limited room for growth, lack of real training program

Productive workplace

Good place to work good management a typical day at work what you learned management your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job

A good place to enhance your experience

Overall, I have enjoyed my tenure so far. There are always opportunities to take part in projects and learn new skills. Management is always open to suggestions for process improvements. However, sometime sharing of information among various departments needs to improve. Sometimes critical information is missing and one needs to go fishing for it.

productive and fun place to work for

work with many departments closely was great experience. any issues will be resolved with no time. make sure that customer is happy.

Fast paced environment

Portfolio Analysis, Financial Modeling and Valuation Analysis

Working in a Securities Dept.

Developed teamwork skills and coordination strategies. I enjoyed my time here and am still in touch with my former colleagues and supervisor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mackenzie Investments. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement