Mackenzie Investments

Working at Mackenzie Investments: Employee Reviews

Canada90 reviews

financialbalanceculturesupportteamopportunityprovidelot

Good company with average salary

Good organization if you're in a client facing roles/teams. Stressful if you're in a back office / support teams.IT culture is all about outsourcing with lots of contractors working on-site and offshore.

great

great place to work and best company interms of fast paced and lot to learn and fun to work.overall liked my job during the time of owrk iam there in company

Insights into Mackenzie Investments

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

Don't get stuck here!

Not a bad place to start a career, however this is not a place you want to spend your time in! Move as soon as possible, other employers will value your time and pay you a fair wage.

Learned a lot about the financial industry...

The trainers were great. I had a great manager as well. The job was stressful at times. I was glad that I was able to learn a lot. At times the work process could have been different. Be prepared to deal with many clients, they can be angry at times.

Friendly employees n quiet work environment

Very organized on welcoming new employees however too much work loads. Training was good. System wise is good. Should have a partner buddy to ask questions. The company management was restructuring when I’m on bored. I’m on my difficult point on my personal life when I was hired when my mom’s died. Very supportive company

Cons

All worked are system recorded

A lot of overtime

Involves A LOT OF overtime!! Sometimes had to work for 10 hours straight with no weekends, not sure if it's because of busy cycle. Pay is good tho. Seniors are nice.

hectic and supervisors constantly watching and grading your performance.

Had one supervisor for 6 months who acted like a tin horn dictator and expected perfect customer calls. He would take you into a room and play your call with the customer and analyzed word by word. He had no people skills for the staff and went back to his other job. After he left had 4 trainee supervisors over my last 6 months there. Training was fly by the pants mentality. It's either sink or swim. I was hired with 9 other staff and after 1 year only half the staff were left, sort of like the trenches in WW1.Culture is ok as they have staff parties at work and in the evening. If you are an excellent employee they treat you like a rock star, ie quarterly rewards for outstanding performance, and if you are average they treat you like a criminal

Pros

free lunches, quarterly parties

Cons

felt like a prisoner in the Russian gulag, constantly being watched by supervisors and staff from other areas on the floor

Great experience

Got to learn a lot from the more senior employees within the asset management field. The people are very willing to collaborate and advance your career.

Poor management

Management seems to be lacking in basic management skills. No ability to inspire or manage decently. The culture is archaic- nepotistic and sexist. Don't recommend this firm unless you are looking for a paycheck.

Mackenzie has a good management

As mentioned earlier Mackenzie is a fast pace environment with so much more but little pay. My original manager is nice but was replaced by young and ambitious one. Thanks.

Excellent culture

I really enjoyed working at Mackenzie ... in three locations Toronto Vancouver in Montreal. It was a very nurturing environment everyone worked together as a team and we had a lot of support from management. We were always being challenged with constant change and product innovation.

Analyst at Mackenzie Investments

Great company and incredible team. I would highly recommend this company to anyone interested. I enjoyed working here and the culture .I very liked it

Highly structured, lots of regulatory overhead

Due to being an internal IT organization within a group of financial institutions, it is rightfully a highly regulated environment. The result is that as an infrastructure specialist, you will find yourself spending well over 60% of your time satisfying change and incident documentation requirements... not necessarily doing technology work which could improve internal or external services. This is probably true of any organization within a regulated industry; but it is important to keep in mind when you are seeking a career path.

Focused and clear vision of long term goals

Workplace culture is relaxed and good collaboration among the staff. Management are supportive but very goal driven. Hours are flexible although you are expected to be present during core hours. Company has a clear vision and the financial means to back their ambitious targets.

Great environment with very smart people

Industry is not really growing Culture is very nice as people are humble, smart and hardworking Leadership has been doing well with firm's positioning in the marketplace

Fun place to work ...

Depending on who your leader is as it varies greatly depending on location. Typical day of taking in bound calls from industry related people but the workplace culture can be toxic especially when leaders come in from head office.

Focused workplace

I was always busy but I always had support. The team would help with workload and the project SME's would provide answers to questions. Sometimes there would be conflict but this would only be due to people feeling passionate about what they were doing.

Pros

Good support to get answers needed to do my job

Mackenzie has the right business environment

Mackenzie is a wonderful company that fosters the growth of individuals through inclusiveness and innovation. Although segmented by different divisions within the company, every sector cooperates together to provide support for one another and to efficiently execute their tasks for the greater benefit of the company.

Management Cutting Costs and Harshly Monitoring Performance

Employees were constantly required to work overtime on Saturdays or on weekdays. The workflow system tracks the time it takes for each account request and when you take your breaks and lunch. The managers are quite strict with when and how long you take your breaks. Employees were given a score based on their keystrokes as a percentage compared to the 'best practice', in other words the most accurate and fastest keystroke order. Computers were often too slow and the workflow system often stopped.

Pros

Christmas Party, Lunch Parties, Celebrated Retirements

Cons

Constant Overtime, Printers always broken, repetitive work, high expectation for speed and accuracy

Inclusive workplace with lot of opportunities to learn and grow

An inclusive workplace with opportunity to learn and grow. Employee engagement survey results speaks for itself. With group companies merging together, it's an exciting time to be part of the organization.

Pros

Great benefits, Downtown location, excellent infrastructure, agile work environment with lot of opportunities to learn and grow

Fund accountant

The fund services department at Mackenzie is by far the worst experience i have had....RUNNNN away. worst management ever. it is horrible i do not recommend it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mackenzie Investments. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement