Mackenzie Health
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Mackenzie Health Employee Reviews

Canada98 reviews

Innovative

Innovative health care organization at the forefront of leveraging technology to improve the patient experience. Lack of support for management and new leaders.

Busy place to work

Productive and fast paced environment to work but the salary is really low. Management doesn’t really care about you they only care about you showing up for work.

Pros

Excellent benefits

Cons

Low pay

Insights into Mackenzie Health

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Provides good learning opportunity

Good management The building orientation gets confusing and sometimes you have to walk the extra mileWorkplace culture is definitely missing Most enjoyable part of the job was working wth patients

Good people

People that I worked with are very helpful. You will learn a lot from the field. Food services, cleaners, technicians and environmental are very helpful amd friendly.

Productive n fun workplace

Great place to work at.Friendly management with good benefits and great pension plan. Work life balance!Sometimes extra hours and not much training is given.

Transporter

Horrible job with extremely low pay. Expect to do more than job is asked. Very busy hospital. If you want to work for such low pay apply here. Over worked and under paid . Expect to be a psw/ nurse being a porter

Terrible place to work

The supervisor is not supportive and does not accommodate you. The environment is not friendly and you do not feel like a work family. You go to your supervisor for support and they ignore your problems. No room to grow and not very inclusive of everyone on the team. The supervisor does not admit she is wrong or willing to compromise even on small matters.

Pros

Decent compensation.

Cons

Not inclusive, bad management, not team oriented, no room to grow.

Very bleh, idk how else to describe it

It's okay.. if you like stressful repetitive work , the number of calls you get a day as a clerk is a lot, medicine wards should have 2 clerks working just like they do in emerge because the unit gets very busy.. also just pray you have a decent manager who is willing to hear out their employees, because most are very dismissive. Most nurses here are very clique-ish and will talk smack about each others work ethic which I find odd as you would expect such people to work in a hospital to be kind and empathetic ?? pay is not good, and only goes up a dollar after years of working at the company. do not recommend :)

typical hospital

nothing great nothing bad, just the draw of the hand. im a nurse so i depends on your staff and management. Have not had a bad experiences so far. lets keep that up

Pros

get payed

Cons

healthcare

Interesting job learning experience

Overall great place when managers were managers and helped the growth of their staff. When that changed and managers were insecure of their abilities it became cpetetive and managers were collecteimg staff to be on their side and the started to let people go for no just cause the made it up as they went on and that was the end of my twenty year service because I refused to play power trip games Hope this helps

Most underpaid hospital in Ontario

Mackenzie health I would not personally like to recommend as the hours are bad. Management doesn’t care about anything and it is the most underpaid hospital in the gta. You’re better off working at Etobicoke general or Mount Sinai

Pros

Open Availability

Cons

Poor management

Has potential but poor management

The only reason I enjoyed working here was because of my coworkers in the same role. Worked at the new hospital and found a lot of staff to be very catty/rude. We were always short staffed, which did not seem to be a concern for our manager, although our supervisor was great. Sometimes 1-2 people for the whole hospital and no adequate support for patient conflict. When asked for a raise given the nature of our job and daily conflicts, we were denied despite raises for other positions with less work and stress.

Pros

New hospital is a great building and very modern, uses smartphones to communicate within hospital, staff appreciation days, diversity.

Cons

Short staffed very often, patient conflict, inconsistencies in application of policies

Good for new graduates. They have the fast-paced environment to develop critical thinking but are still manageable with time management skills.

A typical day at work is similar to other regional hospitals in Ontario. Management seems slow to deal with some issues (e.g., staff shortage). Workplace culture is very different from unit to unit. The hardest part of the job is time management because there are no PSWs. Nurses have to manage time between nursing and changing diapers, feeding patients, or getting water for them.

Pros

Unionized, reasonable parking fee

Cons

No PSWs, slow management

very underpaid

The hospital is so busy that every employee that deals with patients is overstressed and underappreciated. Management is useless, dose not care and has no idea what is actually going on, they only care about their numbers to reflect how big of a bonus they are going to get.

Good work culture

Good work culture and employees are very nice and helpful. Could use some more nursing resources eg. Nursing assistants and psw. Overall a good hospital to work at!

Pros

Good benefits, great staff

Cons

Not enough nursing resources

Fun workplace with room to grow

Worked off site of the hospital for about 4 years and had a really wonderful experience. The team was amazing and very supportive. They value team meme bets and ensure the training is extensive to set you up for success.

I did enjoy my work, but when it came down to money issue the company handle it the way any one would. Overall it was a very good experience for me at the hospital.

Great place to work. Co-workers are awesome!

It's important work because you are dealing with patients, and so it can get stressful at times. However, the staff is great and always so willing to help out! Additionally, you always end your day feeling good about the work you've done and the people you have helped.

Pros

Helpful co-workers, Important work

Cons

Hard to get hours for part time workers

Poor hospital

This hospital is always understaff. No support from the management. Avoid working in this hospital because it will at risks to lose your license working in here. No resources for new nurses and the ratio of the patient and nurse here was so scary, 6:1 day shift (FYI) and sometimes 7:1. So dirty hospital as well. Management has no concerns with their staffs. It is not safe to work in here. The charges nurse here also has 5 patients assigned with them who are so difficult to help other nurses if they also have patients. The management of the medicine floors and NrT here are not professionals dealing with staff concerns. I dont have idea how this hospital run the business like this. So rediculous!!!

Pros

Some are nice people

Cons

Understaff, potential to lose your license and poor management

Stressful and understaffed

Co-workers try their best to be helpful and work as a team, which I greatly appreciate. However, management does not care about their employees. You can bend over backwards for them and they will never do the same for you. Always understaffed on the floors, with no support from management. Always staying later than your scheduled shifts.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

Long hours, management

Mackenzie Health values diversity, respect in the workplace and patient and family centered care

I have been working here for more than 1 year in the Chronic Kidney Disease Program and so far we have an amazing team. I am enjoying my current job because we have a very friendly and supportive manager and colleagues. The hospital is by far one of the cleanest and most ergonomically prepared working environment. We have such great and amazing programs that cater the needs of Canadians. One thing I also like working here is our Electronic Health Record (Epic), the first in the GTA and Ontario and if I am not mistaken also the first in Canada. Our new smart hospital will be something I am considering to work as well because it is the first in Canada.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mackenzie Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement