Macdonald Youth Services

Macdonald Youth Services Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews
Pros- You can have some chill time sometimes depending on how cool ur manager is
It's very very challenging working here mostly because of the kids. You need mentally strong colleagues and House Managers to survive here. I went over and above for the kids, you need to be a special kind of person to work here cos the kids can be very violent. They will respect you when they see you are not afraid of them, even when they threaton you or attack you.
Gossip and cliques
Majority of people you will find here are very cliquey and gossip a lot. Management thinks they are better than you. You are not respected as a youth care practitioner.
Toxic, Unsafe Environment with Poor Direction
The condition of the group home I worked in was depressing and hostile. I did not feel welcomed to the staff, and right away I found that the high turnaround rate was directly related to a core staff of uneducated, older people who appeared to cannibalise the younger workers.

Inconsistency and poor understanding of core child-care foundations meant that the children in care were subject to the whims of staff who tended to react rather than be proactive, and generally not follow the recommendations of the professional network that supplied the children's care plans.

Administrative staff came off as ineffective and jaded at best, and bullies at worst. It felt that they were truly out-of-touch with the environment of the homes as a whole.

Workers were often left on their own to work with children who are prone to physical violence, and subject to inflexible, unreasonable working hours. It is a very disappointing, frustrating place to work, and unless there are far more supportive measures put in place to help staff feel safe and valued I foresee good workers with great attitudes to continue to leave the organisation.
Pros
Working with kids in care
Cons
Inflexible and unreasonable work hours
Excellent Work- Rewarding
MYS matters as do our youth and this space allows one to build their resume while making important contributions as well, one can move forward in a variety of roles dependant on your trajectory
You can also continue with your schooling while building up skills and abilities and develop professional relationships
Expect to be undervalued unless you’re a suck up
Working with the clients and foster parents was rewarding and humbling. However, working with the clinical team was a nightmare. People that were terrible at their jobs were readily rewarded if they sucked up to management. Unethical and poor behaviour by staff was often overlooked while management picked at petty things for hard working staff. Lots of favouritism and turning a blind eye to poor clinical skills and allowing so called professionals to push their own subjective personal and religious beliefs onto clients.
Undervalued and underpaid.
As someone who brought 5 years of essential skills to the agency the compensation offered was insulting. Especially for the job expectations. Save yourself the time and avoid applying. It is not worth it. Working with youth is rewarding and can be stressful but the wages for the job are nowhere near fair.
Toxic work environment
Senior managers are ignorant and not qualified to do their jobs. Communication to front line workers is non- existent HR practices are discriminatory, abusive and demeaning. Homes are short staffed making work dangerous for staff and clients in my opinion, it is only a matter of time before something tragic happens

because of constant turnoverwhicj makes the work unsafe there is no training or mentoring for new staff no support

standards and bully staff.
Pros
Cons
Senior Management and HR practices.
Okay place to work. Get some good experience working within the social service field
I worked for MYS for about 2.5 years, part time and full time as a YCP. Depending on what program you work it can be stressful at times working with at risk youth, difficult going to work knowing you may be harmed, verbally abused, or fear of incidences on your shift.
Term position
Term position for one year to assist with payroll and benefits administration during program software and new benefits provider I ended staying an additional 7 months due employee medical leave
MYS isn’t what it used to be
Mys does not offer a competitive wage. As for raises it takes them months to even consider approving them. They do offer advancement but the wage increase doesn’t match the added responsibility of the new position. The benefits are decent but they deduct a lot from your paycheque. Working in the group homes is great you get free food and the opportunity to go to big sporting events (Bomber, Jets games etc.) if you get a good program manager the job can be an amazing temporary fix but once you try to advance is when everything goes Downhill
Pros
Free food
Cons
They lie about their wages
Recent changes
MYS is undergoing restructuring leading to mass layoffs of exceptionally talented and valuable long term staff. The agency still has many qualified and brilliant people, but new Management have failed to create a healthy work environment.
its a very acceptible respectful place to work
I would go back to work there any time
there is a lot of peer support for each individual working there

busy place but i enjoy busy and like to work with the youth and try to make a difference in their lives

The hardest part of the job is having to turn youth away when the centre is full

The most enjoyable part is getting to work and having to fix what is left behind from the last shift and greeting the clients as well as cooking for them and playing a Grandmother Role,,, that's my favorite
not available
Stepping stone job into Social Services position. The children, youth and families that MYS supports are lovely. This is a good place to start building your skills in working with children and youth with high behavioral needs. It is also great if you want to work with a dynamic team.
Hostile work environment
This used to be a great place to work. New management fires people constantly. They are demoralizing, and cruel. They insist on taking short cuts that put everyone at risk. Every one that gets fired has to sign a “gag order”. No one enjoys being there. Quality of care has diminished.
Cons
Executive management
Toxic work environment
There are many wonderful employees of MYS, but management is often demoralizing, abusive, and toxic. The new building is cold, sterile, and is tense with negative energy. I would not recommend working here.
Worst Place I've Ever Worked
Management bullied staff, picked favorites, gossiped constantly, and acted unprofessionally every day. The environment was so toxic, and not on the part of the youth we worked with, but the staff team and management was just awful.

Would have selected zero stars if I could.

Oh, one small positive, I did meet the person I ended up marrying here, and we are pretty darn happy.
I doing allwayes best
I always work hard i am very helpful i like to work there i am doing always my best job i eork there almost 6 years there is lost of people i fell like my all friends
Pros
Free
Cons
40 hours
Fun workplace where you get to do variety of activities with the kids
Start the day waking up the kids and getting them ready for various activities such as school or medical/dental appointments. Prepare a budget with coworkers to follow for the week for various activities to have with the kids
Pros
Get to partake in free activities such as going to a football game
Cons
Hard to get the kids motivated at times
Poor pay
Terrible pay for casual staff, slight toxic staff environment although not uncommon in healthcare. Great work to be done, typical crisis work, must be prepared to be flexible.
I liked my supervisor, he taught me much. Some other managers were firmly ingrained in one way of doing things and their onions were reluctant to change
Pros
good knowledge from supervisor
Cons
oppressive and unprofessional culture
Helps youth through crisis situations
YRC shelter is a 24 hour crisis shelter. As a Youth Care Practitioner I worked with youth going through addiction issues, suicidal ideation, and various other issues surrounding homelessness. Being able to work with youth was the best part of the job as every youth has their own story.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macdonald Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9