Macdonald Youth Services Employee Reviews

Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 March 2018
I liked my supervisor, he taught me much. Some other managers were firmly ingrained in one way of doing things and their onions were reluctant to change
Pros
good knowledge from supervisor
Cons
oppressive and unprofessional culture
I enjoy when i am worked at your job
As a dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Bathinda, India19 January 2018
● I like All days at work.
● I learned a lot when i was at work.
● their management is too good
● l like their culture too.
● I dont think so. Nothing is hard for me.
● I feel enjoyed whenever i am working.
● i did not got tired when i worked at their company because their all employers are very friendly. My working hours were the best time of my day. I never feel boared at their company at any day.
● At the weekend our manager arraged a kitty party. So that is the rememberable moment for me.
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
Helps youth through crisis situations
Emergency Youth Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 December 2017
YRC shelter is a 24 hour crisis shelter. As a Youth Care Practitioner I worked with youth going through addiction issues, suicidal ideation, and various other issues surrounding homelessness. Being able to work with youth was the best part of the job as every youth has their own story.
Job
Mobile Crisis Team - Clinician/Crisis Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 September 2017
Amazing company to be employed by. Love what the company is about and how it helps the community.
Team within the company is wonderful and the diversity that we are exposed to makes every day an adventure.
Pros
Team mentality
Chaleureux
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2017
c`était super. Il y avait des points négatifs comme les colaborateurs qu venaient travailler en étant de mauvaise humeur.
Pros
repas gratuits
Cons
assurances maladies
working with teens can be rewarding
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB26 June 2017
This job is rewarding for those who like working with teens and can easily form bonds with them. The benefits package was good. One must be aware of the implications that their personal life may have on their work experience.
Pros
internally rewarding
Cons
personal life affects your work
Bad managment , very poor job security
Youth worker/councelor (Former Employee) –  Manitoba20 June 2017
It's easier and by far more pleasurable and rewarding working with the youth. However it's unbelievable what managment let's certain staff get away with. Nothing bUT gossip, it's very uncomfortable to work with certain coworkers. You'd think it would be a team effort type environment but it far from that. So exhausting trying to get away from constant gossip and poor communication between managment and workers. If you're a hard worker this isn't thd place for you because most likely the lazy staff will make up stories just to get you out so they can go on continue getying away with doing absolutely nothing.
Pros
Helping youth
Cons
Ratty and gossiping lazy coworkers. Sadly its mostly men workers.
Toxic work environment
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 March 2017
Frontline staff are caring compassionate hard working people. Youth can be extremely challenging but that is the nature of the work. Management and overall organization culture is extremely toxic and turnover is high as a result. Support and understanding is non existent for frontline staff and bullying, manipulation and verbal abuse by senior management is ignored by head people within the organization. HR is not a strong resource for staff and provides little support when needed. Extremely unhealthy work environment overall.
Pros
Decent salary. Programs that make a difference in the community.
Cons
Toxic environment, little support for staff, safety of staff overlooked, Verbally abusive bullying senior managment
Former employee 4yrs with company
Full Time Youth Care Practioner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MB9 February 2016
I enjoyed building positive relationships with co-workers and clients..being a Positive Role model to youth. I would have to say working in a situation when there was a crisis was the most challenging and little to know debriefing with staff from management, which I feel should be very important to staff as feelings of burn out may surface.
Pros
feeling valued as an employee, making a Positive impact in Ones Life
Cons
off balance shift work/very few ecouragment from supervisors
Horrible place to work
Youth care practitioner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2016
Working with youth is great, unfortunately the staff are extremely unqualified. In fact most are only a few years older than the youth they are charged to serve. The youth deserve more than the organization provides
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
Low pay, unqualified management and staff
Respite worker
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  The Pas, MB4 January 2016
I have been Respite worker since 2007 and I kept going until 2014 I worked with kids with all ages, worked full time weekends if i got called in it was great
If you want experience this is a great place to get it!
youth care practitioner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2015
It's a great place to work to gain experience. There's multiple fields and different areas to work in with potential to upgrade. The hours in my position were not great and the salary was low for the amount I would work. But it was an open and friendly environment.
Pros
The experience and the people you work with makes the job worth it.
Cons
the hours and pay were not that great.
Exciting workplace
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  St.Pierre, MB27 May 2015
-Taking the girls out to their appointments and daily activities was entertaining
-Learned how to cope with high stress workplaces
-Co-workers were fantastic and so easy to get along with
Pros
Had fun days with the girls
Cons
Stressful
Rewarding Work, Comes at a Price
Youth Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB18 March 2015
MacDonald Youth Services is a commendable place to work, they provide support and care to both their clients and their staff. Training is readily available and given, and the men and women who work there are all highly devoted to their kids and mission.

However, due to the nature of the work, burnout is often experienced due to stressful situations when dealing with youth and the shortage of people available to do this type of work. It's very easy to lose your equilibrium and either your home, school or work life is likely to suffer.
Pros
Very laid back, excellent pay, gaining relationships with kids
Cons
Demanding hours, lack of staff and emotional stressors due to nature of working with troubled youth.
Youth Care Worker
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 December 2014
Provide care for youth clients in a level 5 group home setting
Assist with de-escalation of harmful behaviors using crisis intervention skills and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention when necessary
Support individuals with various life issues
Teach basic life skills such as proper personal hygiene and money management
Accompany and monitor clients on home visitations
Transport and supervise clients to appointments, errands and daily activities
Administer medication
Productive and meaninful work
In home Respite Provider (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, manitoba14 October 2014
A typical day working for MYS involved being present at my assigned homes for shifts ranging from 8-12hours. Working with foster children between the ages of 1-12 years of age within foster homes. Helping the children with basic needs such as homework, preparing meals, following before and after school routines, as well as administering medication. I was the only staff per shift within a home assisting the foster parent when present. The hardest part of the job was learning, understanding, and accepting that not all the children can be helped beyond their basic needs. The most rewarding part of this job was watching a child grow and excel under your care and guidance. This made this the most satisfying and worthwhile job in my life to date.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
traveling distance
Meeting some of the best youth ever.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  winnipeg,mb1 May 2014
I oriigally started in MYS so that I could asssit and support young people that did not have the same opportunities that I have.

The best part of my day is seeing the young people that we care for. The next best thing is hearing from staff who had a moment with the youth they were working with that made a differnce in their lives.

The people that work in this line of work for the most part are dedicated and loyal caring individuals.The work they do is hard and sometimes can be very challenging with very little ackowledgement of immediate sucess.
Pros
Great opportunity to work to make a differnce
Cons
long hours/ salary low
Fourth Year Student Placement
4th Year Student Placement (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB24 March 2014
I was a forth year student, it was voluntary placement.
I shadowed Clinical Case Managers.
At home respite with foster kids.
Respite worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2013
While doing respite you get to know the child or children you are working with. If the child has severe A.D.H.D or fettle alcohol syndrome the job can get hard but being able to help people and work with them to show them that they are cared for is worth it.
Pros
knowing you're helping a family and or child in need
Cons
Dealing with children can at times be difficult
stay away
Youth Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  winnipeg16 September 2013
Good place to get lots of experience in a short time. Lots of gossip among co-workers. Management gives little support after a crisis. The youth can be very violent. Not a good workplace and little job security. There are better agencies to work with.
Pros
free food
Cons
bad management, HR is unsupportive, bad co-workers, low pay, high stress