MacDonald Island Park Employee Reviews

Okay place to make decent money
Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 March 2018
Management is very hit or miss depending on what department you live in. They created a hostile environment for me with which I began to hate my job. Good luck.
It was a warm place to work (Tropical every day)
Program Coordinator of Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 December 2017
It was fun when it first opened just the exvitment of it all. People that were in positions that shouldnt have been made life miserable for some. I was there becaise i lived aquatics - wasnt there for money or the advnacement oure love of Aquatics!
Pros
Hours were flexible
Cons
Leadership
has potential to be a great workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2017
unfortunately the management at Macdonald Island is pretty poor. get ready for grievances and the like. Other than management it is a great place to work. People like to talk and gossip so watch out for that too!
Pros
fitness membership discounts and cola
Cons
poor management
Fun and Active environment with friendly staff
Slide Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 August 2017
A typical work day goes by very quickly. Every single day you earn something new, no matter how long you've been working there; you are encountered a different obstacle everyday. Management there isn't the best at times because they cover such a large base because they have to take care of many more departments in the sports and recreation department, not just the aquatics department,but they also try their best to be the most helpful possible and find temporarily solutions to any issues. Since the majority of our staff are under the age of 30, we're all innovative, creative and all live healthy active lifestyles. Everyone there is friendly,outgoing and approachable so work isn't boring to attend because we truly are one team. The hardest part of the job is the physical and fitness part. You're on your feet for a solid 6 hours constantly walking in circles and every month the managers release a mandatory fitness challenge which is generally quite difficult to ensure our fitness levels stay high enough incase of an emergency that could occur in the aquatics centre. And overall the most enjoyable part is working with people who are very much alike you, have the same goals and live very similar lifestyles.
Pros
Discounts on food and entertainment in the community+discounted gym membership
Cons
Lack of shifts/Too many staff
Productive and fun work place.
Lifeguard/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 July 2017
Love the environment and the people. Able to maintain a stable and secure work schedule as well as amazing benefits. Awesome customers. Management is reliable and trustworthy.
Comfortable Outside Job
Landscaping and Horticultural assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 January 2015
it was a very relaxed atmosphere with very kinda people. nice to work outside, and great benefits especially if you like golfing
Fun job with respectible pay
grounds operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 July 2014
I thought mac island is a great company with many opportunities for advancement. The company provides amazing benefits along with a salary respectable for fort Murray economy .
Pros
posotive work envirnment
Cons
weather
Amazing work atmosphere
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Fort Mcmurray, Alberta29 May 2014
Mac Island was by far one of the best places I have ever worked! a typical day consisted of joking around with friends and doing a job that makes a difference, what more could u ask for? The hardest part of the job was having to deal with screaming children all day long, but this was easily overlooked when you realized you were standing next to a pool all day instead of outside bracing the elements. The co-workers i had when i worked there are still some of my closest friends a year later, overall i would reccomend to anybody to at least apply. What have you got to lose?
great experience
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray11 March 2014
A typical day included watching over the pool deck, which meant walking for long hours and keeping an eye on the patrons in the pool. We also cleaned the facility regularly, including the bathrooms, change rooms, and pool area. Checking pool chemicals was also a regular part of the job. My co-workers and management were great and taught me a lot while working there. The most enjoyable part would be the learning experience, and getting along with my co-workers. The hardest part of working there was knowing that others' lives were in my hands, which was definitely a stressful factor. This helped me learn to focus on the task at hand, and it really put my education in the health & safety industry to use.
Pros
Discounts throughout the recreation facility
Cons
Extremely busy place, long hours of standing/walking
decent
Guest Services Representative/ Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray4 February 2014
either scanned in customers at guest services or set up for banquets

learned electronic filing

management needed improvement at the time

good co-workers

hardest part of jobs were customers

most enjoyable part was working concerts
fun place to work
Server/Concession Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 January 2014
I really enjoy working there, the people are very friendly and the hours very flexible.
Mi playground
Guest services representative (Current Employee) –  Fort mcMurray6 January 2014
It is a great place to work. I have met many people who help e adopt Fort McMurray as a home.
Pros
Friendly place to work
Cons
Not enough challenges
fun place to work but no money to be made
Bartender and Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 November 2013
fun but cant move up the chain.
low hours per by weekly

learnt how to save money not knowing when i shall work next
co-workers are the best people they keep you smiling no matter how bad your day is
Pros
get to party at work
Cons
not enough hours
Best Job I ever Had
SAFETY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 September 2013
I spent my whole life trying to figure out what I wanted to do, When I started working at MacDonald Island I found myself. The staff and perks are amazing, and the things that they do at this facility will blow your mind.
Pros
5$ lunch, free/ discounted gym membership, RRSP matching, full benifits
Review
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 August 2012
A typical day at work is full of fun, productivity and usually stress-free.

I've learned that I have a bit of OCD when it comes to cleansliness. I've been trained on a Floor Scrubber, through a Fire Warden and Customer Service course, as well as First Aid/CPR.

My co-workers are absolutely AMAZING and that is why I'm so content working there. We're not just a 'crew' or department', we're close enough to be considered family and have so much fun working together. I'm not making that up either.

Honestly, our job isn't hard at all because we're motivated to get the job done when it needs to be and won't stop until it is. We work as a team if it's 'too difficult', and that's why I don't think anything about it is hard. We are busy during big concerts or on New Years, but we get it done without stressing out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with my friends, for me that is. We laugh, we smile, we goof off and we ALWAYS get our jobs done.
Pros
discounts