MAC Cosmetics

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

Productive and Fun

I really enjoyed my time at MAC. The team of people is wonderful and the products are amazing. Some room for advancement. Many training opportunities help you feel comfortable and confident in your position. Wish the higher ups would listen more to what we thought at the ground level. Part time benefits would be a great bonus, but hourly pay is good.

Pros

Great hourly pay, great environment, free makeup

Cons

evenings/weekends, no benefits for part time workers

Ok part-time/hobby job, not much point to stick around.

It was a great place to start out. Pay is above average and benefits are better than any other retail I've worked. Discount is best I've ever encountered and lots of free makeup/skincare.There is a point where there are diminishing returns, mine was around year 2. Raises start to be just above COL, bonuses that were promised never materialize and you don't really learn anything new unless you make a point to do so on your own time. As with all retail you will be called to come in or change your shift at a moments notice (literally.)There is a bit of a "buy in" that is present with any brand that has such an established corporate culture. You are expected to prepare for work and look a particular way on your own time. That includes full hair and makeup daily. Your required uniform is fully purchased by you, but they will change the parameters of this often so things you have recently purchased are no longer acceptable.I learned some skills but that's completely reliant on the person you work with be willing to share. I have worked with people in this company that are a wealth of knowledge and those that keep their methods to themselves.The hardest part was the constantly moving goal-posts. At some point MAC decided to change performance metrics to predominantly $ based. They still talk about customer service but you could do most anything as long as you were meeting goals. This caused a shift to a more competitive environment which was ironic because we still made the same $ no matter what. (No commission was ever offered for sales during my time.)The most enjoyable part -

Pros

Good discount

Cons

No work-life balance, poor advancement, toxic leadership

Hands on Makeup Application but Huge focus on SALES

MAC has more training than other makeup retail places I know. However, the sales goal is competitive and could cause some disagreement and competition among artists. Some managers play favourites, micromanage, and could be unprofessional at times.

Pros

Makeup Samples, 30% discount for part timers, Hands on makeup application (not anymore due to the pandemic), cool coworkers

Cons

no work life balance, no benefits for part timers, discount for part timers is only 30% and for full timers is 60%, difficult to get full time/contract position, competition among coworkers, unprofessional managers

honestly love it

love the company, i enjoy working for mac cosmetics. very chill and laid back, normally chilling all day at work and playing with make up. Management is chill and great discount.

Pros

discount, gratis

Cons

no comission

Meh

I was very excited to start working at MAC, I have always loved the company and the products. After working there for a couple of months, you slowly start to see behind the scenes and it kind of ruined the love I had for the company.

Pros

Free Makeup and discounts

Cons

standing for hours, competitive, strict dress code, judgemental

Face-Paced, Creative & Competitive

MAC is a place where every walk of life is welcomed. There is zero judgment and are wanting creative individuals to show off their artistry skills. As very few employees leave the company, it is very competitive when it comes to positions which is why the only opportunities that seem to come up every year are mainly for holidays or on-calls (only work when they need an extra hand).

Fun Workplace

Feels like you are working with your besties. Also love the products so its great being able to use them and demonstrate with it on a daily. being able to express yourself freely is also amazing.

Creative and Collaborative

A great place to build your makeup and interpersonal skills. Make sure you are prepared and dress in ALL BLACK. Remember that MAC celebrates diversity and supports all ages, races, and genders. The challenge now is how to compete with all the other makeup brands out there. Also how to keep up with changing buying patterns in the retail marketplace. It can get stressful but they support your growth in the company.

Part time artist

I loved working at MAC. Great company that supports artistry! You will climb the ladder if you’re a hard worker! I had amazing managers that inspired me. Great for learning new artistry tricks!

fun, fast paced,

show up with full face of make up help with customers makeup needs apply makeup on people as requested do certifications trainings fast paced work environment

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MAC Cosmetics?

mac is a fun place to work at

i did enjoy being there you learn a lot and i loved the artistry!i also love being a manager there but to be quite honest its very stressful and i feel there's no growth for me anymore that's why i need to change my job

I love working with this company

I just wish I had gotten a permanent position as I enjoyed my time working there and helping customers. This is a very dynamic company to work for the products are excellent and I would recommend them to anyone who is seeking direction of products.

Be ready to enter a petty environment of old wives with a highschool mentality.

Pros: 60 % discount off retail price Cons: No work life balance, no good incentives, high stress to achieve goals, no rewards, conflict of interest in work culture with management. I've been working at this job for two and a half years. No advancement, their pay is garbage and not a livable wage. They value numbers over integrity, genuine artistry and customer service. They are entirely numbers driven now because the brand is a dying star. Every year they rip you apart with a performance review even though you are the top performer in your location, and offer you only a 20-50 cent increase to your wage every year. The work life balance is also something that is not a part of the work cultures if you have a disability, good luck at the job. This job doesn't offer or give their employees much support. You are expected to work terrible shifts in the middle of the day, and have odd weeks off.

Fun, creative, modern company.

Excellent company if you want to learn all about the world of makeup artistry, they are cutting edge and are constantly innovating their products and invest a lot in training their staff. Some drawbacks include the rough schedule of working retail and and not a lot of opportunities for advancement. But would still recommend it to creative makeup artists.

Great company to work for

The pay is beyond what is expected for retail. If you work hard, and are willing to work at different locations to grow within the company, there are many avenues you can pursue beyond just being an artist. You can grow within more operational, such as management, or you can grow more with artistry, such a trainers.

Pros

good pay

Cons

lots of weekend shifts

productive and fun place to work

I worked at MAC for many years as an artist and in management. I always felt a great deal of support from my managers in my growth and development. The seasonal trainings we received were amazing. I made many friends and awesome memories!

Pros

Great people, friendly environment, always something new to learn

Cons

Last minute on call shifts, some late evenings

MAC's standards on employees is beyond belief

- Working on and meeting new clients is a plus. - Learn + gain a lot of new skills and knowledge with cosmetics. - Hours are horrible. - MAC preaches the opportunity to all regardless who you are or where you come from but be ready to enter a very cliquey environment and struggle to even get more opportunities. - Sales is basically all that matters, you're not a Makeup Artist when working with MAC. You are expected to be a top sales person every day you show up. If your numbers are not up to par neither are you. - Expect to always be on your toes, hard to find balance in your life working for MAC, essentially be ready to sign your life away to the company.

Exceptional Job experience

You get what you give! Honestly, one of the greatest jobs in the makeup industry I've had. And, it shows in my experience, you get what you give. And if you give 100% to you job, you'll get 100% back. MAC has nurtured, inspired, encouraged and challenged me to be a better artist and a better manager. Plus, the gratis and incredible discount helps! Love MAC, and my MAC family!

Pros

AMAZING discount/lovely people to work along side.

Cons

working holidays.

Amazing place to work so much fun such great energy

Mac was an amazing company to work for! I learnt so much about myself, the industry and customer service while working there. I was able to grow personally and be a proud gay man while working in such an excepting environment.

Pros

Always excited to go to work

Cons

Hard to get full time

Place to work if you have no life

Not a place to work for if you are a student. As a part-timer, expect 3 hour shifts that interfere with your day. Managers like the workers that report everything to them. Upper management is rude. Lots of work politics that start in the back office. There is NO work/life balance at all. You are expected to reach these crazy sales goals but do not get rewarded if you surpass them. Not a place to work at if you are not committed to making MAC your life.

Pros

free makeup and training

Cons

awful hours, no work/life balance

Company needs adjusting, there isn't much room for growth beyond working artist positions in store. The product itself is easy to sell but goals are aggressive and high.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAC Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement