MAC Cosmetics

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

honestly love it

love the company, i enjoy working for mac cosmetics. very chill and laid back, normally chilling all day at work and playing with make up. Management is chill and great discount.

Pros

discount, gratis

Cons

no comission

A lot of expectations for management

Being in upper management for MAC is very business-oriented. There's a lot of administrative work, and thorough coaching is monitored very carefully. They are good at succession planning, but there are very few positions to get promoted into. Customer service and communication skills are extremely important. Being a manager for MAC is more about leading a team and organizing the business than doing makeup.

Favourite job so far!

I loved working there because I loved my coworkers, I love the environment, i love the clients and I also loved doing my job every day. Management was also very helpful, supportive and accommodating and everyone’s was like a second family to me ❤️

Used to be great, culture has changed

MAC used to be great until all the budget cuts came in. They had all these awesome events and perks for travelling before then the sales went down. I thoroughly enjoyed working there my first 3 years, then the last 2 were poor. Upper management suddenly enforcing rules and terminating people that they never held accountable to sales before.

Be ready to enter a petty environment of old wives with a highschool mentality.

Pros: 60 % discount off retail price Cons: No work life balance, no good incentives, high stress to achieve goals, no rewards, conflict of interest in work culture with management. I've been working at this job for two and a half years. No advancement, their pay is garbage and not a livable wage. They value numbers over integrity, genuine artistry and customer service. They are entirely numbers driven now because the brand is a dying star. Every year they rip you apart with a performance review even though you are the top performer in your location, and offer you only a 20-50 cent increase to your wage every year. The work life balance is also something that is not a part of the work cultures if you have a disability, good luck at the job. This job doesn't offer or give their employees much support. You are expected to work terrible shifts in the middle of the day, and have odd weeks off.

Great company to work for

The pay is beyond what is expected for retail. If you work hard, and are willing to work at different locations to grow within the company, there are many avenues you can pursue beyond just being an artist. You can grow within more operational, such as management, or you can grow more with artistry, such a trainers.

Pros

good pay

Cons

lots of weekend shifts

Horrible

This is by far the most unprofessional place I have ever worked. I received zero training on cash or the floor and was some how expected to work both at the same time because there’s never enough associates. There’s also way too many managers and it’s extremely difficult to learn when you have 8 different people telling you how to do the same thing a different way. Managers also like to sit in the back for most of their shifts and talk about personal stuff and then get mad when you disturb them and the amount of swearing managers do while in the work place is ugly. Honestly the problems here are endless and none of your hard work will be appreciated

Pros

friendly staff

Cons

management

productive and fun place to work

I worked at MAC for many years as an artist and in management. I always felt a great deal of support from my managers in my growth and development. The seasonal trainings we received were amazing. I made many friends and awesome memories!

Pros

Great people, friendly environment, always something new to learn

Cons

Last minute on call shifts, some late evenings

Don’t work here !

They need to change the MAC YUL management it’s horrible. The pay is good but that’s about it. No accountability for actions. They need to get someone with more experience.

your team keeps you there not the managment

There is no work place/life balance. Upper management can be quite bullying and Hr is not there for the employees which is such a shame because the brand itself is amazing.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MAC Cosmetics?

Place to work if you have no life

Not a place to work for if you are a student. As a part-timer, expect 3 hour shifts that interfere with your day. Managers like the workers that report everything to them. Upper management is rude. Lots of work politics that start in the back office. There is NO work/life balance at all. You are expected to reach these crazy sales goals but do not get rewarded if you surpass them. Not a place to work at if you are not committed to making MAC your life.

Pros

free makeup and training

Cons

awful hours, no work/life balance

Equal opportunity company

My experience working with MAC Cosmetics is great. I enjoy the service motto and the company credo which supports everyone. My issue has been with my MRSO and Field staff. The lack of support / guidance is what has been the hardest to deal with and make it worth while coming to work

Pros

great discount, paid vacation, personal time for full time staff

Cons

not a lot of support from upper management

Great Place to Learn

It is great place to practice and learn about makeup products and techniques. The management is highly encouraging and its been a great experience for me.

The Best and the Worst

The team you work with is what will make you or break you. The company itself is very strong, and has great goals. They strive to have the best product, and the most comprehensive, polite staff at all of their locations to ensure customers are well taken care of. Unfortunately, they cannot see or hear of everything that exists within these stores. I have worked with the best and the worst managers. When I began with the company, I worked with amazing women who understood the definition of "team". They would help and educate in any way they could, providing tons of guidance for new employees. Over the years I made the mistake of switching locations. Suddenly I found myself working with lazy, childish, selfish coworkers (including management), that had a serious attitude problem. If I was honest about how I felt, it was used against me. There was zero support, lack of understanding, and it doesn't take much for you to be singled out and used as a scapegoat or punching bag. I used to think this was the best job/career that happened to me, and it became a scar that I can't get rid of. I still love this brand as a makeup brand, but be careful who you work for.

Pros

Discounts, artistry, decent pay

Cons

Drama

Watch a bunch of petty men and women ruin your career

Favouritism, trash-talking, micromanaging, sudden lay-offs, DEmotions, and cattiness are just a few things you can expect working here! If you enjoy being treated like garbage, apply here!

Lots of workplace politics and zero work/life balance

Stopped being fun. Hard to move up to a full-time position (it took me 3 years). The management could be self-serving, often forcing you to work through big life event (i.e. wedding and funerals) while granting themselves the weekend off.

Pros

Reasonable pay and benefits

Cons

No weekends off

Fun to play around with colors and set production at the Theater

It has always been the best experience for me every time I work. A lot to learn from different concepts and makeup pegs. Our boss is a woman full of inspiration, motivation and pushes us to become better. The workplace is a fun playground, many of us artist would love to goof around all the time before, on and after every show. The hardest part of the job is time management, for theater it is always required to be on time. All sequence are timed as for quick change. It may seem a little too over organized and precise but definitely the most enjoyable work I got so far.

Great energetic welcoming enviroment

I had some of my best life experiences while working with MAC Cosmetics. Never had a job like it where i felt at home in the workplace. The management was amazing, and my co workers became close friends. The training and special advancements they offer as a company is amazing. I would do anything to be there again!

Pros

The work environment was welcoming and made for learning.

Cons

Time off requests were hard to balance with other jobs

Stock up on freebies, build your makeup bag, learn as much as you can, then leave.

I worked as a stock associate...the title is misleading...because I pretty much supervised all the duties and responsibilities for the stock room. It gets pretty boring in the back because theres really no one to talk to and theres no radio at the back...they dont allow it....pretty ridiculous. The job itself is the less stressful position. Your not required to make sales or interact with customers at all. They actually prefer that you dont. You simply have to keep the stock and sales floor stocked and orgranized. This position isnt avaliable in all stores just the ones with more traffic and higher volume/sales. Eg: Yorkdale & Eaton Centre. You will not advance in this company unless you are friends with management. You will not be given more hours unless its holiday season. You have to fit into the culture or else...working there will make your work life difficult socially with mgmt. Your value to the company is how well you sell. Not your work ethics, or skills. Believe it or not this can be difficult to attain because Mac isnt selling like they used to...theres so much competition that customers are buying from online merchants at a cheaper rate. This is how Mac is losing money. Now its quantity over quality. Bonus: 60% off. Amazing for makeup artist. You can build your collection at an afforable rate. Stock up...stock up. Gratis: Stock up. And save the items...you can resell them for great a better value once you've stopped working there. Alot of the items you receive are from limited collections that sell out quickly. So alot of mac collectors -

Pros

60% discount, gratis, makeup certification

Cons

Low pay, selling, zero chance of advancement, not enough hrs

fun environment

takes away from weekend flexibility management is amazing learned how to deal with difficult customers culture is amazing most enjoyable part is friendships built

Pros

management

Cons

weekend hours

Fun Place of Work

Great work environment! Amazing Artists! Management over worked - long hours, and not appreciated enough. As an artist, it's an amazing job with lots of creative outlets! Hard to move up in the company.

Pros

Discount, Gratis

Cons

Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAC Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement