MAC Cosmetics

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

Not the same

I had worked for MAC for a few years, I had stopped and came back a couple times. Early 2000’s the pay was good and swag was awesome, then as the years went by you got less and less. You were no longer employed as full time but on call. No benefits no swag. Maximum 4 hour shifts.

Cons

Changed to save money, even their culture

amazing company

I was trained during my time with this company. I learned so many fundamentals of makeup artistry customer service and sales. The hiring process is very extensive, top candidates are chosen. The potential to get freelance work through working for this company.

Pros

Freelance work

Cons

Non flexible hours.

Ok part-time/hobby job, not much point to stick around.

It was a great place to start out. Pay is above average and benefits are better than any other retail I've worked. Discount is best I've ever encountered and lots of free makeup/skincare.There is a point where there are diminishing returns, mine was around year 2. Raises start to be just above COL, bonuses that were promised never materialize and you don't really learn anything new unless you make a point to do so on your own time. As with all retail you will be called to come in or change your shift at a moments notice (literally.)There is a bit of a "buy in" that is present with any brand that has such an established corporate culture. You are expected to prepare for work and look a particular way on your own time. That includes full hair and makeup daily. Your required uniform is fully purchased by you, but they will change the parameters of this often so things you have recently purchased are no longer acceptable.I learned some skills but that's completely reliant on the person you work with be willing to share. I have worked with people in this company that are a wealth of knowledge and those that keep their methods to themselves.The hardest part was the constantly moving goal-posts. At some point MAC decided to change performance metrics to predominantly $ based. They still talk about customer service but you could do most anything as long as you were meeting goals. This caused a shift to a more competitive environment which was ironic because we still made the same $ no matter what. (No commission was ever offered for sales during my time.)The most enjoyable part -

Pros

Good discount

Cons

No work-life balance, poor advancement, toxic leadership

Productive and Fun

I really enjoyed my time at MAC. The team of people is wonderful and the products are amazing. Some room for advancement. Many training opportunities help you feel comfortable and confident in your position. Wish the higher ups would listen more to what we thought at the ground level. Part time benefits would be a great bonus, but hourly pay is good.

Pros

Great hourly pay, great environment, free makeup

Cons

evenings/weekends, no benefits for part time workers

Fast pace creative atmosphere, selling is priority

It’s an excellent place to work if you’re looking to grow your customer service skills as well as make up skills, there’s not a lot of opportunity to become a high-ranking MAC trainer or media manager although there’s always movement within the part time and full time positions. MAC does not pay commission although you are expected to sell a specific goal and meet certain criteria, If you are a permanent artist there are perks such as a wonderful discount, EMS, and free products from each limited edition launch

Pros

Lots of training

Cons

Pressure to sell.

Face-Paced, Creative & Competitive

MAC is a place where every walk of life is welcomed. There is zero judgment and are wanting creative individuals to show off their artistry skills. As very few employees leave the company, it is very competitive when it comes to positions which is why the only opportunities that seem to come up every year are mainly for holidays or on-calls (only work when they need an extra hand).

...Big fail from a hyped up company.

Wow. Inconsistency being an understatement. Rocky start from the get go. Contradicting training, feedback and task/job focus/delegation from one day to the next, from one manager to another. Unprofessional. Overall very unpleasant experience. Coming from someone with 10+ years of experience prior to.. this position at a particular location was the nail in the coffin for retail jobs for me.

Part time artist

I loved working at MAC. Great company that supports artistry! You will climb the ladder if you’re a hard worker! I had amazing managers that inspired me. Great for learning new artistry tricks!

Miss the old days

Used to be a great culture .. not so much anymore the only thing that keeps people is the pay not as inspired as I first started all about money and sales but there is some opportunity and the pay is good for retail

I love working with this company

I just wish I had gotten a permanent position as I enjoyed my time working there and helping customers. This is a very dynamic company to work for the products are excellent and I would recommend them to anyone who is seeking direction of products.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MAC Cosmetics?

Be ready to enter a petty environment of old wives with a highschool mentality.

Pros: 60 % discount off retail price Cons: No work life balance, no good incentives, high stress to achieve goals, no rewards, conflict of interest in work culture with management. I've been working at this job for two and a half years. No advancement, their pay is garbage and not a livable wage. They value numbers over integrity, genuine artistry and customer service. They are entirely numbers driven now because the brand is a dying star. Every year they rip you apart with a performance review even though you are the top performer in your location, and offer you only a 20-50 cent increase to your wage every year. The work life balance is also something that is not a part of the work cultures if you have a disability, good luck at the job. This job doesn't offer or give their employees much support. You are expected to work terrible shifts in the middle of the day, and have odd weeks off.

Fun, creative, modern company.

Excellent company if you want to learn all about the world of makeup artistry, they are cutting edge and are constantly innovating their products and invest a lot in training their staff. Some drawbacks include the rough schedule of working retail and and not a lot of opportunities for advancement. But would still recommend it to creative makeup artists.

Great company to work for

The pay is beyond what is expected for retail. If you work hard, and are willing to work at different locations to grow within the company, there are many avenues you can pursue beyond just being an artist. You can grow within more operational, such as management, or you can grow more with artistry, such a trainers.

Pros

good pay

Cons

lots of weekend shifts

If you don’t fit in, they’ll drive you out.

The pay is great, but if you do not fit inside of the perfect box and guidelines, they will drive you out until you quit. MAC says it embraces uniqueness and individuality but in my experience, if you are any sort of unique or different, it’s considered bad and you become an outcast. Maybe that was just the experience at my specific store, but it happened to multiple employees, not just me.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Amazing place to work so much fun such great energy

Mac was an amazing company to work for! I learnt so much about myself, the industry and customer service while working there. I was able to grow personally and be a proud gay man while working in such an excepting environment.

Pros

Always excited to go to work

Cons

Hard to get full time

Company needs adjusting, there isn't much room for growth beyond working artist positions in store. The product itself is easy to sell but goals are aggressive and high.

Enjoyed being creative but unhappy experience once I held the job

I was very dissapointed by the scheduling. I took a part time position but wasn't given the ability work my schedule as I needed at all. I was expected to work weekends that I had booked months prior to taking the position freelancing without them being willing to work around the commitments I had made to others on those days.

Pros

an opportunity to practice my skills in a creative environment

Cons

structure isn't desirable for anyone with other jobs or commitments

Great Place to Learn

It is great place to practice and learn about makeup products and techniques. The management is highly encouraging and its been a great experience for me.

Fun place to work at

- Great first job when youre trying to get yourself into the industry - I learned self confidence - The hardest part is knowing all the products that mac has

Pros

Experience

Cons

None that i can think of

Fun workplace!

Fun Work environment! MAC provides a platform for the creative individual. You get to meet a lot of new people everyday and there is opportunity for growth in the company

an inclusive company

There is the potential to move up, great people and perks, very generous pay. Benefits for full time employees. A great environment for extroverted creatives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAC Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement