MAC Cosmetics

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

Not the same

I had worked for MAC for a few years, I had stopped and came back a couple times. Early 2000’s the pay was good and swag was awesome, then as the years went by you got less and less. You were no longer employed as full time but on call. No benefits no swag. Maximum 4 hour shifts.

Cons

Changed to save money, even their culture

Ok part-time/hobby job, not much point to stick around.

It was a great place to start out. Pay is above average and benefits are better than any other retail I've worked. Discount is best I've ever encountered and lots of free makeup/skincare.There is a point where there are diminishing returns, mine was around year 2. Raises start to be just above COL, bonuses that were promised never materialize and you don't really learn anything new unless you make a point to do so on your own time. As with all retail you will be called to come in or change your shift at a moments notice (literally.)There is a bit of a "buy in" that is present with any brand that has such an established corporate culture. You are expected to prepare for work and look a particular way on your own time. That includes full hair and makeup daily. Your required uniform is fully purchased by you, but they will change the parameters of this often so things you have recently purchased are no longer acceptable.I learned some skills but that's completely reliant on the person you work with be willing to share. I have worked with people in this company that are a wealth of knowledge and those that keep their methods to themselves.The hardest part was the constantly moving goal-posts. At some point MAC decided to change performance metrics to predominantly $ based. They still talk about customer service but you could do most anything as long as you were meeting goals. This caused a shift to a more competitive environment which was ironic because we still made the same $ no matter what. (No commission was ever offered for sales during my time.)The most enjoyable part -

Pros

Good discount

Cons

No work-life balance, poor advancement, toxic leadership

Hands on Makeup Application but Huge focus on SALES

MAC has more training than other makeup retail places I know. However, the sales goal is competitive and could cause some disagreement and competition among artists. Some managers play favourites, micromanage, and could be unprofessional at times.

Pros

Makeup Samples, 30% discount for part timers, Hands on makeup application (not anymore due to the pandemic), cool coworkers

Cons

no work life balance, no benefits for part timers, discount for part timers is only 30% and for full timers is 60%, difficult to get full time/contract position, competition among coworkers, unprofessional managers

Fun

Fun place to work and super fun people to work with. Always learning something new which is awesome. You learn so much on the job and everyone you work with is so helpful and kind

Meh

I was very excited to start working at MAC, I have always loved the company and the products. After working there for a couple of months, you slowly start to see behind the scenes and it kind of ruined the love I had for the company.

Pros

Free Makeup and discounts

Cons

standing for hours, competitive, strict dress code, judgemental

Face-Paced, Creative & Competitive

MAC is a place where every walk of life is welcomed. There is zero judgment and are wanting creative individuals to show off their artistry skills. As very few employees leave the company, it is very competitive when it comes to positions which is why the only opportunities that seem to come up every year are mainly for holidays or on-calls (only work when they need an extra hand).

Fun Workplace

Feels like you are working with your besties. Also love the products so its great being able to use them and demonstrate with it on a daily. being able to express yourself freely is also amazing.

Favourite job so far!

I loved working there because I loved my coworkers, I love the environment, i love the clients and I also loved doing my job every day. Management was also very helpful, supportive and accommodating and everyone’s was like a second family to me ❤️

Miss the old days

Used to be a great culture .. not so much anymore the only thing that keeps people is the pay not as inspired as I first started all about money and sales but there is some opportunity and the pay is good for retail

Be ready to enter a petty environment of old wives with a highschool mentality.

Pros: 60 % discount off retail price Cons: No work life balance, no good incentives, high stress to achieve goals, no rewards, conflict of interest in work culture with management. I've been working at this job for two and a half years. No advancement, their pay is garbage and not a livable wage. They value numbers over integrity, genuine artistry and customer service. They are entirely numbers driven now because the brand is a dying star. Every year they rip you apart with a performance review even though you are the top performer in your location, and offer you only a 20-50 cent increase to your wage every year. The work life balance is also something that is not a part of the work cultures if you have a disability, good luck at the job. This job doesn't offer or give their employees much support. You are expected to work terrible shifts in the middle of the day, and have odd weeks off.

productive and fun place to work

I worked at MAC for many years as an artist and in management. I always felt a great deal of support from my managers in my growth and development. The seasonal trainings we received were amazing. I made many friends and awesome memories!

Pros

Great people, friendly environment, always something new to learn

Cons

Last minute on call shifts, some late evenings

Long time since I worked at MAC.

Great experience as I had always wanted to work at MAC. Met great people, became a better makeup artist, and am happy to have been a part of the team way back when.

Very good learning experiences, very well trained through MAC standards

Was a very fun atmosphere to work in. I've met and maintained very good friendships within my time working here. MAC was like a family, there was very good support, and provided excellent training. The standards of work ethic, and multitasking have set me to always achieve and work to the best of my abilities since this job.

Pros

Huge staff discount and free product

Cons

Short work days

Place to work if you have no life

Not a place to work for if you are a student. As a part-timer, expect 3 hour shifts that interfere with your day. Managers like the workers that report everything to them. Upper management is rude. Lots of work politics that start in the back office. There is NO work/life balance at all. You are expected to reach these crazy sales goals but do not get rewarded if you surpass them. Not a place to work at if you are not committed to making MAC your life.

Pros

free makeup and training

Cons

awful hours, no work/life balance

Great Place to Learn

It is great place to practice and learn about makeup products and techniques. The management is highly encouraging and its been a great experience for me.

Fun place to work at

- Great first job when youre trying to get yourself into the industry - I learned self confidence - The hardest part is knowing all the products that mac has

Pros

Experience

Cons

None that i can think of

Fun workplace!

Fun Work environment! MAC provides a platform for the creative individual. You get to meet a lot of new people everyday and there is opportunity for growth in the company

no comment

very busy, had to multi task, greet customers within seconds, have verbal contracts. had to be certified if wanted to do makeup. the hardest part was having someone watch your every move.

I love mac, Best cosmetic retail experience!

Fast paced environment, lots of product knowledge involved. Make up skill is important, so is communication skills. The pleasures of making others happy is the most rewarding part of MAC life & culture.

Pros

Discounts, Previewing new launches, Customers

Cons

Work stretches, short staffed at times.

Great place to build strong skills.

Fun days at work with great team energy. A place to learn and absorb experience from, especially artistry and client service techniques. Team work always!

Stock up on freebies, build your makeup bag, learn as much as you can, then leave.

I worked as a stock associate...the title is misleading...because I pretty much supervised all the duties and responsibilities for the stock room. It gets pretty boring in the back because theres really no one to talk to and theres no radio at the back...they dont allow it....pretty ridiculous. The job itself is the less stressful position. Your not required to make sales or interact with customers at all. They actually prefer that you dont. You simply have to keep the stock and sales floor stocked and orgranized. This position isnt avaliable in all stores just the ones with more traffic and higher volume/sales. Eg: Yorkdale & Eaton Centre. You will not advance in this company unless you are friends with management. You will not be given more hours unless its holiday season. You have to fit into the culture or else...working there will make your work life difficult socially with mgmt. Your value to the company is how well you sell. Not your work ethics, or skills. Believe it or not this can be difficult to attain because Mac isnt selling like they used to...theres so much competition that customers are buying from online merchants at a cheaper rate. This is how Mac is losing money. Now its quantity over quality. Bonus: 60% off. Amazing for makeup artist. You can build your collection at an afforable rate. Stock up...stock up. Gratis: Stock up. And save the items...you can resell them for great a better value once you've stopped working there. Alot of the items you receive are from limited collections that sell out quickly. So alot of mac collectors -

Pros

60% discount, gratis, makeup certification

Cons

Low pay, selling, zero chance of advancement, not enough hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAC Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare MAC Cosmetics with