MAC Cosmetics

MAC Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Canada124 reviews

Found 124 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,586 reviews

Great, fun place to work

You get out of it what you put into it. Dress code is all black. The location I worked at had a bunch of great ladies so work was never dull. I heard different stories at other locations though

Not the same

I had worked for MAC for a few years, I had stopped and came back a couple times. Early 2000’s the pay was good and swag was awesome, then as the years went by you got less and less. You were no longer employed as full time but on call. No benefits no swag. Maximum 4 hour shifts.

Cons

Changed to save money, even their culture

amazing company

I was trained during my time with this company. I learned so many fundamentals of makeup artistry customer service and sales. The hiring process is very extensive, top candidates are chosen. The potential to get freelance work through working for this company.

Pros

Freelance work

Cons

Non flexible hours.

Ok part-time/hobby job, not much point to stick around.

It was a great place to start out. Pay is above average and benefits are better than any other retail I've worked. Discount is best I've ever encountered and lots of free makeup/skincare.There is a point where there are diminishing returns, mine was around year 2. Raises start to be just above COL, bonuses that were promised never materialize and you don't really learn anything new unless you make a point to do so on your own time. As with all retail you will be called to come in or change your shift at a moments notice (literally.)There is a bit of a "buy in" that is present with any brand that has such an established corporate culture. You are expected to prepare for work and look a particular way on your own time. That includes full hair and makeup daily. Your required uniform is fully purchased by you, but they will change the parameters of this often so things you have recently purchased are no longer acceptable.I learned some skills but that's completely reliant on the person you work with be willing to share. I have worked with people in this company that are a wealth of knowledge and those that keep their methods to themselves.The hardest part was the constantly moving goal-posts. At some point MAC decided to change performance metrics to predominantly $ based. They still talk about customer service but you could do most anything as long as you were meeting goals. This caused a shift to a more competitive environment which was ironic because we still made the same $ no matter what. (No commission was ever offered for sales during my time.)The most enjoyable part -

Pros

Good discount

Cons

No work-life balance, poor advancement, toxic leadership

Productive and Fun

I really enjoyed my time at MAC. The team of people is wonderful and the products are amazing. Some room for advancement. Many training opportunities help you feel comfortable and confident in your position. Wish the higher ups would listen more to what we thought at the ground level. Part time benefits would be a great bonus, but hourly pay is good.

Pros

Great hourly pay, great environment, free makeup

Cons

evenings/weekends, no benefits for part time workers

Hands on Makeup Application but Huge focus on SALES

MAC has more training than other makeup retail places I know. However, the sales goal is competitive and could cause some disagreement and competition among artists. Some managers play favourites, micromanage, and could be unprofessional at times.

Pros

Makeup Samples, 30% discount for part timers, Hands on makeup application (not anymore due to the pandemic), cool coworkers

Cons

no work life balance, no benefits for part timers, discount for part timers is only 30% and for full timers is 60%, difficult to get full time/contract position, competition among coworkers, unprofessional managers

Fast pace creative atmosphere, selling is priority

It’s an excellent place to work if you’re looking to grow your customer service skills as well as make up skills, there’s not a lot of opportunity to become a high-ranking MAC trainer or media manager although there’s always movement within the part time and full time positions. MAC does not pay commission although you are expected to sell a specific goal and meet certain criteria, If you are a permanent artist there are perks such as a wonderful discount, EMS, and free products from each limited edition launch

Pros

Lots of training

Cons

Pressure to sell.

honestly love it

love the company, i enjoy working for mac cosmetics. very chill and laid back, normally chilling all day at work and playing with make up. Management is chill and great discount.

Pros

discount, gratis

Cons

no comission

Great learning place

At MAC you learn many different techniques from your fellow artists as well as get great experience from working on clients everyday. You overall get a better knowledge for the amazing brand and their products

Pros

Discount

Cons

Sales Goals

Fun

Fun place to work and super fun people to work with. Always learning something new which is awesome. You learn so much on the job and everyone you work with is so helpful and kind

Meh

I was very excited to start working at MAC, I have always loved the company and the products. After working there for a couple of months, you slowly start to see behind the scenes and it kind of ruined the love I had for the company.

Pros

Free Makeup and discounts

Cons

standing for hours, competitive, strict dress code, judgemental

Face-Paced, Creative & Competitive

MAC is a place where every walk of life is welcomed. There is zero judgment and are wanting creative individuals to show off their artistry skills. As very few employees leave the company, it is very competitive when it comes to positions which is why the only opportunities that seem to come up every year are mainly for holidays or on-calls (only work when they need an extra hand).

Fun Workplace

Feels like you are working with your besties. Also love the products so its great being able to use them and demonstrate with it on a daily. being able to express yourself freely is also amazing.

...Big fail from a hyped up company.

Wow. Inconsistency being an understatement. Rocky start from the get go. Contradicting training, feedback and task/job focus/delegation from one day to the next, from one manager to another. Unprofessional. Overall very unpleasant experience. Coming from someone with 10+ years of experience prior to.. this position at a particular location was the nail in the coffin for retail jobs for me.

Creative and Collaborative

A great place to build your makeup and interpersonal skills. Make sure you are prepared and dress in ALL BLACK. Remember that MAC celebrates diversity and supports all ages, races, and genders. The challenge now is how to compete with all the other makeup brands out there. Also how to keep up with changing buying patterns in the retail marketplace. It can get stressful but they support your growth in the company.

Part time artist

I loved working at MAC. Great company that supports artistry! You will climb the ladder if you’re a hard worker! I had amazing managers that inspired me. Great for learning new artistry tricks!

fun, fast paced,

show up with full face of make up help with customers makeup needs apply makeup on people as requested do certifications trainings fast paced work environment

A lot of expectations for management

Being in upper management for MAC is very business-oriented. There's a lot of administrative work, and thorough coaching is monitored very carefully. They are good at succession planning, but there are very few positions to get promoted into. Customer service and communication skills are extremely important. Being a manager for MAC is more about leading a team and organizing the business than doing makeup.

Favourite job so far!

I loved working there because I loved my coworkers, I love the environment, i love the clients and I also loved doing my job every day. Management was also very helpful, supportive and accommodating and everyone’s was like a second family to me ❤️

Miss the old days

Used to be a great culture .. not so much anymore the only thing that keeps people is the pay not as inspired as I first started all about money and sales but there is some opportunity and the pay is good for retail

mac is a fun place to work at

i did enjoy being there you learn a lot and i loved the artistry!i also love being a manager there but to be quite honest its very stressful and i feel there's no growth for me anymore that's why i need to change my job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAC Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement