Mac's Convenience Store Employee Reviews

interesting work experience
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ON9 April 2019
worked store cashier, taking customer payments.
experienced with lottery sales including age requirements
experienced with tobacco sales including age requirements
cleaned and stocked store
Pros
independent work enivornment
Cons
poor management
Terrible/no life. Stress of shortages and theft. Contractual
Independent operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 April 2019
• Inventory shortages is a big concern.
• theft is another big issue
• not a good business instead really bad investment
•system works for company not for you
•after all efforts you will hardly take $1000/period of 28 days
•security deposit is refundable but nobody gets back the full amount when you leave. They will always deduct around $5000 from your security when you leave for unforseen shortages.
•toxic environment
• so many task to do everyday making your dsy overwhelming and stressful.
Pros
They won't fire you because they have no one to take their stores
Cons
No vacation, no overtime pay, no day off not even on holidays, no money(if you are able to calculate what's coming in & what's going out)
decent
Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 April 2019
I really liked this job, I did full time nights and liked working at my own pace, taking breaks when I needed. was able to. Stocking the shelves was very satisfying and working the lotto machine was fun. I would have stayed if my manager was more professional.
Pros
Got to work at my own pace
Cons
fulltime night shift made it hard to have a social life
good place to work with people
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alt. London, ON28 March 2019
As a manager every day is busy doing daily routine work e.g. customer service,ordering,banking,invoices entry,paper works etc.

learned strong store management skill

Excellent help system for all department

Very pleasant

When following staff calling in for sick

Making people happy
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Standing too many hours
Cashier and stocking
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Bend, ON22 March 2019
The manager is amazing, he was extremely helpful and friendly, and he was always there to make sure everything is running smoothly. The other employees are also very nice. Hardest part of the job was cleaning because I personally do not enjoy that aspect, but being around everyone made it better. I learned how to communicate with customers better.
Steady work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, ON19 March 2019
Working at Macs convienience store taught me a lot about lottery tickets. People are hookt. But in reality working with customers makes me happy. Im love to see people smile and try to make the couple minites they spend in the store enjoyble. Learned how to work manny diffrent hours espeshally nights and extended hours but kept myself busy restocking shelfs and doing inventory. Enjoy keeping busy.
Challenging and rewarding opportunity for growth as a customer service representative.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 February 2019
Great opportunity to apply and learn customer service skills and work in a fast-paced environment. Very rewarding and fulfilling opportunity to grow as a customer service representative.
Great learning platform
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 February 2019
Learn the workplace ethics, communication skills and how to maintain the work environment as a team. Learn how to make long term and short term goals.
Buying a job
Store Manager (Store Operator) (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON19 February 2019
It is a franchise business similarly to buying a job for your self.
Commission rate is very low comparing to work they expect.
It is good for short period.
Don’t believe the sales pitch
Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan17 February 2019
Where to begin. If you’re hired, Keep your eyes open.

First of all. They OWN you. Literally. Don’t believe the work life balance promises. Get used to calls at all hours of the night and be prepared to work weekends without being ‘asked’

Management functions solely on self preservation. In the area I worked in alone, five Market Managers have been through the revolving door in the last couple years. Backstabbing and openly criticizing other managers is commonplace and apparently ok. You will see for yourself if you are hired into this disorganized mess.

I’ve honestly never worked anywhere where I’ve seen more inept upper management. My direct supervisor alone was the worst manager I’ve had the curse of working under in all the years of retail I’ve worked. This individual has been responsible for losing so many good people and is never held accountable.

Save yourself some hope. Apply anywhere else. You will be set up to fail from the very beginning.

My main regret is I should have reached out to the people I was to replace shortly after I was hired to learn the truth. It would have saved me some time find out the truth and leave this mess way earlier than I did.
Pros
They pay for your cellphone(well some of it)
Cons
Inept management. Selfish agendas by Ops leads. Culture is a joke.
My first company to start with virtualization
Senior System Administrator/Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 February 2019
For the first time in my career I feel that I am at the right place and all the hard work has paid off. I work with a very friendly and collaborative team. My manager is very helpful and eager to guide me. The perks are amazing and I get to save money that way. The position makes it available for me to learn much more, increase my current skills and obtain new ones.
Pros
Benefits, catered lunch once a week, daily breakfast, collaborative team, fun activities
Cons
No OT
not bad
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 February 2019
not bad at all for me the company made me feel at home and always was there for me when i needed extra shifts and would always allow me toss around hours
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2019
I was still a child when i worked here. But it was a great experience...learned so much. Great way to start your work experience as a biginner. Totally recommend. ..
Store operator
Dealer Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2019
I was the Store operator in charge of hiring my own staff, train them. I was in charge of all aspects in regards to running the store, I was in charge of ordering merchandise, manage inventory level, bank reconciliation and ensure customer satisfaction always.,
Supervisor must have the skill to lead
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 January 2019
it is my excellent experience to work at macs. it gives and boost up your managerial skills. we have to mange each and everything in such a large store with specialized customer service skills
Not Bad
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON18 January 2019
Not a horrible job, mostly suited to high school Kids. Hours aren't the best as they give full 8-hour shifts which lead to any out of town workers getting home around 1 am on weekdays, so not the best for students in university or Highschool. The shifts are long and mostly boring unless its a morning or Friday-Sunday. Would be nice to have someone to work with so that the store could run better and allow employees to keep their sanity on long shifts. Managers are pretty decent people. Its mostly a father and his two kids but they are good people who seem to treat most employees somewhat equal. Overall it's a decent minimum wage job to get started in but starts to become less enjoyable the longer you stay.
nice job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 January 2019
like the job as you had less stuff to do. Mostly did the niughts and love to work there in the nights as the long the shifts more the money and had fun working there.
Sales Clerk in Convenience store without game room etc.
Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON9 January 2019
Tedious but enjoyable. Lots of standing. Learned lottery machine operations and cash handling here. Stock the shelves with products. Shift end sales report. Cooler stock-up. Never had a robbery to contend with. Easily accessible from home. I bought my second car with what I earned here.
Pros
Very convenient for working after college.
Cons
The job closed to the store being shut down by Mac's
Productive, Fun, Knowlegable
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC19 December 2018
I got my required shifts and was very flexible

I learnt social life and got to know and meet different cultures and experiences. gained a lot of knowledge from them and applied the same to my daily life.

The Manager/Owner of the store was very understanding and helpful. he would also assist and explain on what we didn't understand

The workplace surrounding was fun to work with and my colleagues were supportive and it was a team work effort and shared duties and responsibilities.

The hardest part were the night shifts where the customers to be attended were mostly drunkards and it was hard to explain to them.

It was great experience working there, I gained a lot of confidence and ways of handling situations and work requirements.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Night Shifts
Positive environment to work, depends on management
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 December 2018
When I was working here, I had really good time as my manager/owner is very helpful. She is very easy going and gave good feedback about my work ethic.