Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre Inc Employee Reviews

not enough work through the day
Yellow Shawl Program Support Helper (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 October 2019
I am bored at this job, I need to be busy during my time at work
the hardest part of this job is to find stuff to keep my day full and busy
the most enjoyable part of this job is the training
my typical day is not busy at all
Typical Day
Jane of all Trades (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2017
There is always lots to do, usually there is no room for pay raises, you are expected to take on other duties with no compensation for the extra work,
Culturally specific child human services organization
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2017
Ma Mawi is non mandated and is therefore unable to remove children from homes. However, there are situations where there is such neglect or trauma that may be witnessed by staff/community volunteer members where police and/or Child and Family Services need to be contacted and actions taken for the protection of children.

I found that the different departments are rather inclusive and only interact with other department staff when general staff meetings occur 4 times within a fiscal year.

Access to different organizations and training modules are very helpful to expand skill set as well as community networking opportunities.

The most difficult aspect of the workplace is a sticky combination of vicarious trauma due to type of work inherent to this type of human services employment. and the intermittent lateral violence associated with working in a culturally specific organization.

Conversely, the cultural teachings and wisdom that are shared are priceless and not experienced in any other job I have ever had.
Pros
benefits, cultural training
Cons
stress, non profit salaries
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2017
Good community resource. non profit so great for low income families in Winnipeg, they have a variety of programs so everyone is welcome.