Lush Cosmetics

Lush Cosmetics Employee Reviews for Ambassador

Ambassador46 reviews
Canada46 reviews
Stand by their values to a T Equal opportunity employer Room for growth Excellent virtual training & guidance Great discount Will work gif them again at any opportunity
Management can be extremely pushy. Sales ambassadors are forced to go up to the customer multiple times and are forced to push the costumer into buying more than they want. Selling as much as possible is sometimes more important than what the customer wants. Lots of extra work to do outside of work. No commission but expected to work as if there is. The employee discount is 50% off almost everything.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Toxic management, Bad work/life balance, No commission
I LOVED working at lush, its not a forever job, the company isn't really big enough to grow within, but a great part-time mall job for sure. everyone is super positive and outgoing, management is super fair and understanding. all in all a great place
Working at Lush was honestly the best job experience I've ever had, despite only working there over the Christmas holidays. Typically the day would go by pretty quickly due to the constant stream of customers, but in the down time everyone was productive. Sometimes this "busy work" can just feel like a chore, but at Lush it wasn't dull. You do get desensitized to the scented products after a time, but if you're sensitive to scents this is not the job for you friend.
Pros
Very open minded and accepting company, usually you end up working with like minded individuals.
Cons
STRONG scents.
Lush has an excellent environment for acceptance and equality. Lots of training, courses, feedback, & coaching provided and a huge resource platform. Extra perks are freebies and hefty employee discount!
Pros
Training, discount, open environment
Cons
Lots of physical work such as lifting boxes, stocking and cleaning
I hated having to leave this position because it was such a wonderful job!! You really learn a lot and there is constant development of skills and lots of incentives. I wish the pay was more though for the amount of work and effort that goes in to helping customers. Far above any other company out there in terms of customer service! Lush really practices what it preaches and isn't afraid to be different.
I was a Seasonal, so during the holiday season it gets super hectic and the store can be packed on the last few days before xmas. The 50% off discount is a major bonus and also deadly, you'll end up spending most of your pay check during your breaks/before-after work. Its a super positive environment, the team leaders really encourage positive affirmations, growth and successes. Definitely going to be talking to a lot of people... and demoing products on them which isn't as scary as you think, after you've done it a couple of times. Its competitive but not like you would think, team leaders sometimes set up hourly/daily challenges so if you X amount of gifts or X amount of whatever you get a lil prize, so its a good motivation tool to get talking to people and putting the training you learn into action. Its also great to be in a work environment where everyone is all a bit unique, in terms of style/hair/tattoos. Being yourself feels normal & is encouraging, unlike other employers that want you to conform lol. Overall a great experience, it helped to bring me out of my comfort zone & helped me face my social anxiety. I thought I was quiet/introverted but Lush really made me blossom into being more social. :)
Pros
positive work environment, Smell good all the time, Discount
They opened a "seasonal" store where I'm from and I knew that going into it. However they told us we would be permanent after opening and a month before closing said we no longer would be a permanent store. It's very unorganized and hard to get through with answers from HQ. It put all of us staff members in a bad situation where we are scrambling for work.
I would 100% recommend working at Lush. They pay more than minimum wage plus commission, you get a discount off merchandise, and they are a very understanding company.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lush Cosmetics?
I was seasonal and really liked working here except for the fact that we were made to be very "helpful", almost aggressive with sales tactics. Lush has a very specific way of training you to approach and offer products to customers, especially at Christmas. I found it to be very insincere and difficult to be so pushy or in the customer's space. They offered contests to get us to sell gift boxes, and it was almost impossible to meet the quotas. Some customers would get turned off and leave the store because they got approached by 3-4 different employees within 2-3 minutes of being in the store. We weren't allowed to leave them alone, even if they said they were just looking, we had to ask a bunch of questions and try to lead them to different areas of the store. It was stressful and I just wanted it to be a bit more relaxed. If I had had more time to learn more about the products it would not have seemed so forced and stilted and would have been a more natural way of suggesting things they might like etc. But at Christmas, they tend to be more aggressive with their sales. Also had to upsell a lot at the till, promoting the Charity Pot lotion or the fabric bags. The best part was the 50% discount you got as an employee.
Pros
Sometimes you would get a free item, and at the staff party we got bags with nice stuff in them.
Cons
Pushed to sell sell sell, not allowed to leave customers alone, not very many hours as promised when hired for season
 Worked as a salesperson, greeting clients, guiding them to every section of the store, showing the products, demonstrating the usage, and making sure to offer the best experience  Worked as stocking person during busy hours to keep the store filled with products, clean and organized. Improved the stocking method to make it seamless and more efficient  Managed stocking teams during the holiday season, assigning tasks and making sure that the store was ready for the customers  Worked as cashier, finalizing the shopping process, and guaranteeing a seamless experience
Interview was easy, have open availability and you're pretty much certain to get the job. Training is online, which is easy, plus theres a handful of in store training hours dedicated to getting to know christmas products, as well as how to demo and sample. Pay is above minimum wage at my location. The only thing i truly dislike - and this could be a huge deal breaker - is the culture. Everything is almost artificially upbeat and nice. I saw someone else say if you're not ready to "drink the koolaid" then you won't fit in, and I agree with that 100%. I'm exhausted by the end of shifts purely because I feel like i HAVE to upkeep a smile and positive energy every single minute of every single shift. if you're looking to get a job as lush because of the 50% employee discount, just remember that there isn't any limit to samples as a customer :)
I worked seasonally at lush over Christmas and I loved every shift I had. The full time staff are all so lovely and caring. The company alone takes care of their staff so well with benefits and fun programs!
This job had helped me come out of my shell, it had made me environmentally aware and helped me become a better person. I have so much respect for this company and what they stand for. The environment was amazing. my co workers were absolutely amazing, like a second family. They pay and benefits were amazing as well.
Pros
The environment and ethics
Cons
nothing
Lush is always fun at the beginning. But once you get settled, the atmosphere is different. What made me leave is the change of management. Discount is great (50%) but not worth it after a while. I advise people to work there for a season (Christmas) to get the discount and to have fun, but there are a lot of staff meetings, lots of trainings, and you will never be good enough. salary is low for all that is asked of you, as part time there is no stability in terms of hours either. Hope this helps some of you!
Pros
Free snacks and drinks sometimes, discount
Cons
Unstable hours, not being good enough, low pay
Amazing on-the-job training. The management was great and understanding. Met a lot of great people and learned a lot about Lush Cosmetics' values. Benefited a lot from the employee discount!
Workers are constantly pushed by supervisors to approach and re-approach customers despite customers clearly stating they wanted to be left alone; often resulted in being snapped at by customers who would leave angry. Seasonal positions are rarely approved to have time off and are warned they could lose their position if they are not available for 100% of the contract period which is extremely difficult during exam periods.
Pros
Staff discount, free damaged/expired items
Cons
Bad sales style, no flexibility with seasonal positions, lack of understanding from management
Typical day at work would start with half an hour of deep cleaning on section in the store, afterwards we'd start the opening of tills and set up bowls of water and the fresh mask display. Clean whatever was not done from the night before and then open the store when it was time. We'd start selling, greeting customers and getting into consultations. I've learned to always put the customer first and to never assume, to be determined in getting the task given at hand and problem solve conflicts when presented. The workplace culture was one of the best aspects, all were welcome, everyone was engaged, and accepted and the atmosphere was light and friendly. Management had it's own pro and cons, but overall did try and adjust to everyone's needs. The most difficult part of this job was the mental work you had to put in, and the most enjoyable part was connecting with customers walking in and truly making their day.
Pros
Free snacks on special occasions.
Cons
mentally draining, requests off were hard to get.
My experience with Lush as a company was amazing. From the unconventional hiring fairs, to the constant support and influx of knowledge and support from prior staff, Lush is committed to having members of its team to be supported, valued and made family
Pros
constant opportunity for new positions and experiences
Cons
Giant knowledge base of botanical
Although staff do not make commission, you will be reprimanded for not pestering customers to make sales. Often customers would be visibly uncomfortable with sales techniques although we were encouraged to continue selling
I REALLY did not like the people there, they were rude but still very "Okay". The clients were always satisfied. I worked at Cash mostly but sometimes on the floor. The hardest part of the job was to remember all the ingredients, I did love to do the demos.