Lush Cosmetics

Lush Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,033 reviews
Lush is an amazing company to work for. One you want to continue working for. And that’s what makes it hard to develop your skills within the the company. No one ever quits so it’s hard to be promoted or get more hours. Before Covid I will say stores were extremely over staffed and staff we’re not being given enough hours.
Pros
Wage and people
Cons
No room for growth
I loved the company ethics and everything the brand stands for. Was definitely an environment in which a manager can either create a great workplace or a hostile one. But I loved my time there and wish I could go back.
Pros
Great environment, opportunities for growth
Cons
Hard to get full time, no benefits until full time
Product knowledge is really important but the company makes learning fun. The company values are very relevant to current issues and you are very involved in the current social, environmental and human issues/rights.
At the Etobicoke Manufacturing facility, they somehow made an easy job one of the most frustrating I've ever worked. Absolutely no proper training and severe lack or organization made me dread every day. Once you learned how to make the products, it became easier, but the place was so unorganized and gossipy that it still ended up being awful. Lots of in-fighting and health guidelines were a joke. To give them credit, they had many more health/wellness benefits than expected, even paid for steel-toes if you don't have them. But the work environment was toxic and frustrating to work in. Wouldn't recommend.
Pros
Easy job, Decent Benefits, Consistent hours
Cons
Bad mangement, toxic environment
I felt proud to work at Lush, I learned a huge amount and it's ethics really helped instill an ethical mindset. The company is super inclusive and forward thinking, however I feel as if you have to be a certain type of person to work there, a type of person that I unfortunately am not. As anyone who's visited the stores will know, Lush provides a pretty hard sell and as a sales assistant that's only the half of it. Personally, I had issues with how 'in your face' and forceful the selling strategies were and often felt awkward as we as staff were told "don't take no for an answer" and often had to hang around and reapproach customers who had declined help. Working there if you were having an off day was a nightmare as you had to approach every single customer who entered the store and keep them in conversation for as long as it takes for you to sell them something.
Pros
Learn loads, discount on products
Cons
Targets based on forceful selling strategies
Working at Lush had it ups - free and discounted merch, location of headoffice, rotating foodtrucks to buy lunch from, but also a lot of negatives too. Management is comprised of self absorbed women that are super Cliquey and immature. They only kept the seasonal hires that they personally got along with not based on work performance. most of the senior staff were stand-offish and cold with the exception of a few that were actually welcoming. work hours were all over the place, shifts starting from as early as 6am to as late as 8pm. Couldnt book time off during blackout period (christmas season) and had to have a doctors note when sick regardless. The company preaches values that staff couldnt care less about. People are run down at the headoffice. They claim they never have sales on items that are not holiday products but then this year they changed that. Working at lush wasnt as magical as you would think. Stick to buying their over priced barh bombs
I've worked with Lush for 3 years now and don't have many complaints. While I haven't experienced all of the confusing craziness that corporate does, I do know that working within the shops is a wonderful experience. Your supervisors care about you as a person, and a professional. While your team members might want you to bump up quickly in terms of roles, that decision isn't up to them, so it can take a while for corporate to get on board and offer you a promotion. That's honestly one of the biggest downsides. It's a retail job that doesn't feel like retail.
Pros
Great Discount, Family Atmosphere, You always smell good
Cons
Average Pay, Bonuses are hard to get
Lush is an amazing company, with strong values and fun atmosphere. I worked at multiple Lush locations over 7 years. While the atmosphere is fun, and most of the employees that work there have cool aesthetic, don’t be fooled that it’s easy going. It is a company after all, so just be prepared to learn a lot and work hard. Lush cares a lot about sales and when I mean a lot I mean they have floor leaders constantly deliver updated sales goals every hour. You’ll also receive feedback multiple times every shift. It’s a lot of work but they pay well (start new hires at above minimum), they offer other benefits, paid sick leave/vacation time, and free product. If you’re a hard worker who likes to set goals and achieve them, while having fun this job is for you.
The pay here is insultingly low for a company who boasts about its standard of ethics being higher than the rest ("the rest" including Bath and Body Works, for example, whose entry-level wages start at the same rate as shift manager positions at Lush). While it certainly feels safer being LGBTQ while working here than most other work environments, I certainly received my fair share of micro aggressions from management, and never felt it would be received well if I had brought up how I was being treated. Also, I was doing the work of a floor leader (which is basically a shift manager position) while being payed as a sales ambassador (an entry level position). Based on other reviews, it seems I'm not the only one who has experienced this. How is that ethical? How is that propelling the "cosmetic revolution" Lush claims to be the catalyst of?
Pros
inclusive work environment, 50% discount, sick pay/PTO
Cons
Pay, I literally could not pay rent working here, Also couldn't pay for health insurance
I managed various locations in the NY area for about 5 years. They grew too much too fast and made a ton of mistakes often. It was stressful to be a manager, especially at a time when malls are failing. There was a time where I worked a month straight to turn around an old store and it seemed expected of me. Don't get me wrong: I had great sucesses such as winning trips due to sales numbers, but I don't know if it was worth it in the end due to the stress on my body and mind.
Pros
I practically lived for the manager meetings every quarter, staff boxes of free product, staff discount was 50%, Pto, sick days, health benefits
Cons
No work life balance, discouraged from taking any PTO, work weekends nights and holidays, no fixed schedule
Working in lush stores is a lot of fun. There is lots of product training and knowledge expectations are high, but it's not difficult to learn the products. If you want to be trained on something, ask. Don't wait for it to be given to you. It won't happen. This isn't a bad thing by any means, it's just reality.
Pros
amazing discount, fun teams, training opportunity
Cons
pay schedule is kind of limiting
Lush is nice for the discounts (50%) and for all the stores I've worked I've had great relationships with my coworkers and managers. I do think, however, that the upper level management above store managers is basically a Mean Girls Club. They try to groom everyone to develop into store managers, but give nothing to those who want to laterally advance to different parts of the company or stay within their roles as Leads. I've seen them take advantage of managers/MIT's and call it "development," others were ignored when serious risks were brought up in their place of work like Covid exposure. They will make the employees do as much work themselves in their shop as possible so they do not have to spend money on outside help, it's next to impossible to get someone out to your store to fix something. I know I personally have done much more outside my job description than I should have. Just a few examples of the work atmosphere. Also, prepare for basically no work/life balance if you want to become a shift lead or above.
Pros
discounts, products
Cons
no work life balance, job is exhausting, full of toxic positivity
Great workplace atmosphere with opportunities to advance and take in additional learning training Management are supportive and accommodating. Good holiday allowance.
Pros
Bonus scheme, competitive salary for retail, great discount
Cons
Busy seasonal trade
Was give so much freedom to be creative and shine. Had so many memories I will keep forever. Developed a passion for the products and strong friendships.
Pros
Inspiring job, ability to learn a lot
Cons
I have been working as a seasonal distribution associate part-time at weekends. It was an amazing experience to work within teams and making better workplace. My supervisors were always keen to help and effective in whatever they did. They truly cared about the employees. I learned so much about the products, picking and packaging. I appreciate a lot. Good culture, there was no discrimination; everyone was always welcomed. The staff and the atmosphere were so friendly. I really enjoyed the experience of working with such a great company. Would recommend!
Working at gifts was definitely one of the best choices of my life! Amazing environment!
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Ho lavorato due anni in Lush perché pensavo fosse un'azienda attenta al bisogno de dipendente. Invece mi sono ritrovata Supervisor che prendevano appunti per poi cazziarmi, che mi riprendevano davanti ai clienti, che mi chiudevano in magazzino per sgridarmi. Zero umanità da parte del management team. "Fai più di quello che dovresti fare, non farlo, perché non è il tuo ruolo" vi sembra giusto da dire ad una persona che vuole crescere in azienda? Sono scappata dopo svariati attacchi di panico la mattina prima di svegliarmi. Lush è un bel lavoro, si corre tanto ma è divertente perché puoi essere te stesso. La gestione delle persone, però, rovina tutto.Imparate ad avere più cuore con la gente.
Pros
stipendio
Cons
atteggiamenti al limite del mobbing
This was the best job I have had and I learnt so much from it. The management genuinely cares about staff and everyone is valued as an individual. Work is fun and individuality, creativity and expressing yourself is a good thing. Daily goals and fun targets make everyday a bit different so motivation came easily. I would definitely recommend to anyone that enjoys face to face customer interactions and an upbeat environment.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Shorter hours generally
Must sell to customers even if they say they don’t need your help. Fired suddenly in the middle of the shift a long with other temp hires. It could’ve been handled differently.
-LGBT friendly-Easy going-Can have dyed hair, piercings, and tats-Up to 8hrs of paid at home training -Positive and healthy environment -Friendly staff
As a temporary staff member I didn't expect my experience to last long but I was certainly dissatisfied upon witnessing how easily (and often) they sacked people. Basically anyone who couldn't keep with their unrealistic and arbitrary daily targets was given a dismissal letter and fired on the spot with very short notice. My team, originally made of four people, was reduced to one by the end of my contract. Training was virtually nonexistent, so new hires were left to their destiny since day one. The job itself wasn't hard - you either had to mix powder and press it into molds or extract finished products and pack those into boxes - but the warehouses were crowded and that made hard fetching the equipment (tools, skates, crates and molds). Apparently there wasn't enough material for everyone and the supervisors didn't seem to care. As if it wasn't enough, you had to put up with the obnoxious music blasted at full volume every day; a collection of ten or so tracks repeated over and over. The only enjoyable part were the facilities, equipped with microwaves, free coffee (or tea) machines and table football.
Pros
Easy to land, friendly colleagues, free drinks from the machines, decent wages, some supervisors actually cared.
Cons
Ridiculously low job stability, stressful, poorly managed, overcrowded, terrible music.
  1. Employee reviews