LOWER LAKES TOWING LTD

LOWER LAKES TOWING LTD Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
Unsafe conditions for most of operations conducted. Work load can consist of 36 hours in a 48 hour period with minimal sleep. They take full advantage of only paying salary per a day, and wages do not compete with other shipping companies on the Great Lakes. They hire individuals with nil to no experience, lazy, and incompetent which make conditions extremely difficult and unsafe. Extra effort and hard work will go unnoticed, as anything you do wrong you will be accounted for even if you didn't do it. Company will not report near fatalities or even acknowledge incidents.
Pros
beautiful scenery
Cons
broken old ships
the work can be brutal at times but for the most part you are well compensated for it. the food was great. some of the short falls come from the American office. crew change was a nightmare to set up flights. they would book flights or rental cars and not even call you. Some of the Captains and Mates have a habit of thinking they have full control over everything a crew does. but if you had a good crew all around it was a fun time for the most part.
Good pay, but stressful environment, captain and management don't care about you. You need tough skin to enjoy this job. Food was good, co-workers we're nice and helpful. Don't do this job if you have a family or relationship.
Not for the homesick. Good job for hardworkers who don’t mind being away from home for long periods of time. Long hours balanced out with short days, but the food is amazing
They never follow any labour laws for deckhands.
They don’t pay holidays yet say they do

They do not profit share or pay overtime what so ever yet claim they do

They will let you go after giving your entire life to them for one mistake and will not even speak to you after about future employment or to help with other employment you may need reference too
Pros
Free food but slave for it
Cons
Everything else
If you are a female, you will be made to feel as though you should not be there. I was harassed and belittled on a constant basis by the captain. Other females in the ship recieved the same treatment so I did not take it personally. A male sailor who offered any help was also out casted. If Lower Lakes took any notice of the very poor evaluations that this captain makes of any of the female sailors on his ship, they might actually notice that what he is doing is very, very wrong. Other than this poor excuse of a leader, I had the experience of my life and would do it again on another vessel that this captain did not lead.
Pros
Excellent pay, an amazing experience
Cons
Unpredictable schedules
Was on the Mississagi for my coop. Was the worst time of my life. I had received some of the top marks in my program but that didn’t maker out here. The only think I was there for was to clean up after the other engineers. They didn’t want to show you anything or teacher you anything. During dinner they would talk behind your back even if you were down a couple seats and could hear. Nothing short of harassment.
Pros
Good meals
Cons
No respect, almost free labour
Its a tough job, with long work hours and little sleep. The pay and benefits are decent, but It didn't outweigh the cons in the long run. Some of the staff is rude and look down at lower rank employees. When safety issues were brought to their attention it was the old boys club attitude of thats the way we've been doing it for years so its not going to change even if its unsafe for the worker. I did learn and gain alot of experience and am thankful for that but the company wasn't a match for me or my family life balance.
Pros
Pay, beneifts
Cons
safety issues, long work hours with little sleep.
Lower Lakes is a good company to sail with once you make peace with the scheduling being up in the air all of the time. If you can go with the flow (even better if you're single and don't have a family or kids) you can make a good living sailing these vessels. The crews are generally younger than their competitors and they aren't miserable all the time. Rotations are fairly quick too. 6 weeks on 3 weeks off.
Pros
Good wages, good crew
Cons
Impossible to plan for things
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at LOWER LAKES TOWING LTD?
Typical workday included:
Accounts payable responsibilities

Inventory count and evaluation

Management was helpful and gave plenty of opportunity to work with them and advance within the company
Pros
Successful niche company that grew from small start-up
Starting from poor office/management, low morale, don't follow labour laws, work often 18hrs, with no sleep, poor living and unsafe work conditions, high turn over, working short-staffed.
Tough job, but made worse by "don't care attitude".
Pros
pay
Cons
I enjoyed the many years of working and able to advance to a senior officer with excellent pay. However, if you are married and have children it is a incredibly tough job mentally. Its hard on your family and friends and eliminates your social life. As a senior engineer I faced challenges of teaching new technology to older generations as well as teaching uneducated co workers very basic knowledge and accepting their lack of drive to learn. It has been very stressful but with its enjoyable moments that only a sailor would experience.
Pros
Good Pay, Friendly co workers
Cons
Not for family life
treated very poorly, didn't get shown certain task before being asked to do them,