Lowe's Pay & Benefits reviews

Young Student treated unjust and was fired for no reason and without proper explanation
Receiver/ Stocker (Former Employee) –  Heart Lake, ON6 August 2018
I'm twenty years old, a student and a hard worker. I worked for Lowes for a month and a half. I was hired in June 2018 and was wrongfully dismissed in July 2018. I came into work every day on time and even worked overtime if the work wasn't finished or more work was needed to be done. I had mean supervisors in the receiving department who made me lift up heavy boxes that strained my back and wouldn't even assist me or help me in any way. I asked several times to get trained for the forklift so I could get the work done faster and more efficiently but they never trained me. I have the forklift license but it is not valid at lowes unless they train me and they lied to me and said they would train me and never did. Managment doesn't manage breaks properly and abuse their authority. you have supervisors and employees who have worked for a long time leave the building to go to Tim Hortons or for breakfast on their paid 15-minute breaks and usually take way longer than 15-minutes. Then for the new workers, they rush you to go on break and tell you that due to busy workflow and how fast you work you may not get a break. I have worked numerous shifts where I haven't gotten all my breaks and was used to do all the heavy lifting with no one to help support me. I've had supervisors and or co-workers make me feel uncomfortable by talking in a different language around me while laughing. Lastly, before I was dismissed my supervisor made me take out the garbage which was totally wrong. This wasn't work meant for a lowes associate to do but the garbage disposal company. Lastly, I am still  more... waiting for my last paycheck they said I would get all my money on my last paycheck but it didn't include everything.  less
Pros
Paid Breaks and good enough wage to raise a family
Cons
improper work settings, management treats employees like slaves
its a good place to work
Product Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2018
the people are good and management treats you right. the salary could be better but the environment makes up for the wage. there are lots of opportunity to move forward
Big company, great benefits, inefficient
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, AB11 July 2018
Overall good company to work for. Great benefits, good pay for the industry, but they operate with too few people and ask for way too much from those people. The company is operated very inefficiently and they use old, glitchy systems.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Not enough staff, hard work, inefficient
Might not get your break on time, learned a lot from more experienced staff, welcoming atmosphere especially from older co-workers.
Full-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2018
A typical day at Lowe's can start at 6 a.m. and end at 11 p.m. So be prepared to be flexible and work shift work. Don't expect to get your break on time due to the fact that it is on a schedule and is followed by the head cashier. Only, this person can allow you to go on breaks.
If someone, phones in sick the schedule stays the same. The workplace culture is typical of any retail sales job. You, gossip about what everyone, is saying and doing. The hardest part of the job is trying to get along with everyone else. Having to learn about the different products in each department. What you are allowed to do and when you should be calling for department manager or supervisor. Also, having to clean up especially the washrooms after the store is closed. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are always busy, meeting people, you could have great staff to work with, wages a little higher than other retailers, helping people, promotion.
Pros
One hour lunch and two fifteen minutes break. Full benefits as a Part time employee.
Cons
low salary, difficulty to advance, can be demoted, fired easily, expected to meet sales target.
Good
Electrical Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
good place to work part-time or for students. flexible hours and frindly staff. Service is great always fluctuated with customers situations and needs.
Good
Electrical Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2018
Wasn't what i expected, mean and bossy staff, no open hours or any overtime was averaging 5 hours a week by the time i quit due to lack of proper hour management.
Fun Workplace due to staff
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 June 2018
The staff are amazing to work with. They laugh and have fun to enjoy themselves. The benefits are good. The customers are great though depending they can be tiring just like any customer service job.
Pros
Staff and long lunches
Cons
Too much change
Depends on the store.
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2018
Overall, I wouldn't have stayed with this company if it was entirely bad. They do offer benefits (medical, dental, etc. - that you pay for), decent pay for the field, and some other bonuses - like discounts at specific other places. This company saw me through a LOT of life events.

Management and customer base make a big difference. One of the stores, most of the customers are so entitled and just nasty. Management just says "find a way to deal with it." That store is also so busy, you rarely get all of the breaks the company says you've earned in a workday.
Pros
decent pay & decent benefits
Cons
don't protect their employees from customer abuse.
Good retail environment.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 April 2018
Overall a good place to work. Hard work does not go unnoticed and as long as you aren't lazy you wont have many issues. Management does there best but are often overworked and stressed by irrelevant things as a result of demands from upper management. Lots of free staff lunches, events and fundraisers.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Understaffed
Fantastic place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 April 2018
Overall, Lowe's is a fantastic place to work.

They care about their employees, and not just at the store level. There's room for advancement, and management will actively help you grow if that's your goal. They touch base with you frequently to let you know where you're at and how you can improve. There's always a focus on positivity, not just negativity. You can tell they put a lot of thought into who they hire and where they place them; everyone gets along well and has a great attitude. There are also numerous events and fun stuff for staff, and they try to create a good work-life balance. The company has good values and they stick to them.

The wages are definitely above average for a retail environment. Annual increases aren't anything special, though; the best way to get bigger wage increases is to move positions. There are benefits for part time or full time employees.

I've also never been with a company that's so transparent about everything, which is refreshing. They've taught me a lot about how the business runs and have helped prepare me for when I start my own business one day.

Though it's not your typical miserable retail work environment, it's still a stressful place to work at times, and not everything at Lowe's is perfect. Their systems are outdated. The training program could be better. Most positions require full availability and aren't flexible about it.

If you want to be successful at Lowe's, be eager, adaptable, and, most importantly, just have a good attitude.
Very nice company and staff
Sales Specialist Appliances (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 April 2018
Very nice company and staff, super helpful and patient, Lowes offers the best services to impact customers. There are some parts needing to be improved such as receiving and delivery and sometimes long lead time after placing an order, but overall, it's a very good working environment for people who wants to work in retail.
Pros
Paid Training, Health insurance, holiday and sick hours.
Management had reasonable expectations
Outside Lawn and Garden Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2018
Often hard work, management had reasonable expectations of new employees, did a lot of manual labor which many didn't like but I felt it was reasonable to expect.
Great Place to get started
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2018
Very welcoming workplace culture for new immigrants. Encouraging and helpful management. Great place to get you started and give you some work experience in Canada.
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Compensation
Good Company
PSA (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 March 2018
Management is pretty good, Good Knowledge of what hey do.
Typical Day at work is checking EMS tasks and then working on Planograms that need to be done that week.
Workplace culture is pretty good, most people seem happy and content with that they do.
Challenging and Fun Workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Everyday is different, typical day at work starts with your walk to your department, make sure you do your daily 8's, and then prioritize work load base on your daily 8's walk without sacrificing Customer Service as your priority.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Shifting
Great benefits even for part time staff but no advancement, good for first job
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 March 2018
Overall Lowe’s is a good employer who cares about employees. Even if salary is minimum, benefits are amazing so that makes it worth it. Not bad for a starter job
Pros
Fun workplace
Multiple staff lunches celebrating many workers events
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 March 2018
Anytime it was a staffs birthday, or celebrating annual accomplishments, there was always food in the lunch room. However, you always worked longer hours than scheduled, with absolutely no added benefits
Not too bad
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  SHERWOOD PARK AB12 March 2018
Started when store was being built.. Hard work but was able to get a fair bit of exercise. Lots of standing . Tried to transfer to red deer store but they did not hire me as I took approved/ un paid time off.
Pros
Retail pay was higher than competitors
Cons
Standing most of the time
Love the people and customer interaction.
Sales Specialist/Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2018
This was my first retail job. I never worked for a box store before. I love working at Lowe's (and still do), the people I work with make it fun to come in every day.
After working there for 7 years, I have found that Management only sees the people beneath them as expendable and easily replaceable, whether you have experience or have been there for a long time or are brand new. There are people there that have given more than they should and are treated like they still have to earn their place, while others coast along with no repercussions not doing their job. I am sure favoritism is in nearly all stores on some level, but was disappointing to see first hand. If they feel you are too good in your department, you are moved to another because they don't want you to be too comfortable.
Benefits
Cons
Shift Work (ranging from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm)
So much potential but doesn't come through.
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 February 2018
PROS:
The training process at Lowes is great.
The benefits are amazing, even part timers receive them.
Easy to move up to Department Manager position.
Great staff.
CONS:
Management would benefit by standing by their employees.
HR in my location was very biased, had favourites and would bend rules for some and be very strict with others.
Peak does not guarantee any hours so you can go weeks without a shift.
Some managers are very mean, bully-like even.

58.3K