Lowe's Employee Reviews for Cashier

Lots of Pretty Words
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 February 2018
They pull you in with promises of advancement, and the ability to grow and learn.

They stick you in your place and make you stay there until you don't have any will to try to advance anymore because they block you at every turn.

Employees run the floor because management has to deal with things completely unrelated to employee work ethic and help. Often you find them trying to clean up a mess because someone called corporate and they have to now do whatever corporate decided without any actual context as to the issue.

These customers return and make life awful for employees who can't tell them to leave, and management can't stand up to because corporate said so.

Management is overworked and I've seen every single one of them get physically or emotionally ill because of it.

When you work here your only allies are your coworkers. I loved my coworkers (management included) so much, but I watched as every single one of them began to resent management or corporate or both because they were stuck and they were told to take it.

You are told you cannot stand up for yourself, have to accept everything customers and management alike throw at you. If you don't, you have to fear what corporate decides to do to you.

They tell you there can be benefits, then refuse to let you into a position where you can have them, so you're constantly waiting for support that never comes.

Even the people in the position to have them find that the work hours are all over the place, there is no structure, and there is no communication between management and employees about how to make
  more... it better.

When there was they didn't listen, so the employees gave up.
Pros
You'll make enough money to eat bread
Cons
You'll never have a life out of work
basic job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 January 2018
decent job, can't complain. get on the managers good side and you are set. focus on working on each task and don't get stressed out. you gain some nice skills.
Pros
flexible hours if you're not full time
Cons
disorganized store
Poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON18 December 2017
You would serve customers at the checkout and direct people to products. The best part of the job was the flexible hours that you could work and the worst part was the management.
Pros
Pretty flexible
Lowes Lethbridge
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 October 2017
Bad place to work. Bad management except for the front end. Dont work here. Quit after a year of being overworked and under appreciated. Minimum wage is definitely not enough to pay for this job. The people either sucked or were the best. Sadly a lot of unfriendly unhelpful coworkers.
Pros
Sime nice people
Cons
Long late shifts
Cheerful place to work
Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 August 2017
Lots of friendly co-workers, clean and neat environment, lots of training provided, emphasis on customer service and providing a happy experience for customers.
good work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 July 2017
it was a good place for me to work during the summer fresh out of high school. flexible hours, you still had the opportunity to have a life outside of work which was great
no stress
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 April 2017
no stress, short hours are given within our open availability. can't have two jobs while working here. If you are satisfied with a small income without stress then this job is for you.
Pros
no stress, friendly co workers, with benefits for part time and full time employees
Cons
short hours given in our open availability
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 April 2017
Satisfied, pay is on time and managers are great! workplace environment is okay and the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers .
Productive and fun work environment
Lowes Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON20 March 2017
It is a great job if you are a student, there is plenty of room for growth and great company culture. They provide you with a great jumping off point for a sales environment and in general it is a pretty fun team.
good job worked as a cashier for 4 months
Part time cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2016
Started my position as a cashier in september 2015 and finishing around march 2016, worked as a cashier, customer service rep. My job would mostly involve cashing customers out, also cleaning up and loading furniture.
Pros
co workers
Cons
minimum wage pay
Overall Great Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON24 August 2016
Lowes was a great experience and the people there were great. The management itself was not very good. A typical day at work would be me showing up, signing in and positioning myself at the cash. I would stay there all day helping out customers. Our store was quite busy most of the time so we never got bored and we were never just standing around. We always had something to do.
good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON11 July 2016
great company, fantastic to work there, very supportive, flexible with schedules, the hardest part of the job would've been learning where all the merchandise was, my co workers were fantastic people, still great friends with many of them. the most enjoyable part of my job were my co workers
Not a really bad job but no consistencey
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 May 2016
Shift changed all the time. Short shifts of 4-6 hours each. Basically on call all the time to fill in for other people that didn't show up for work. Best part of job was dealing with customers. Learnt to process customers payments to their accounts and how to process their charge accounts.
Pros
The co-workers and customers
Cons
Having to clean the bathrooms.scrub floors, and empty garbage from staff room.
Opportunity for Growth
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 January 2016
Having 10 years of retail under my belt, I thought I knew it all. Starting my employment with Lowes I am amazed on all the opportunity this company has to offer their employees.

I am so proud to be part of a company that has potential growth and the support of management is overwhelming. My learning of their way has been a ride of thrill and I look forward to really learning how this company grow.

Thank you Lowes for making me a part of your company.
cashier
cashier (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON2 January 2016
beware, what they don't tell you during any of the three interviews is that the cashiers job is also to clean the public toilets.. disgusting for minimum wage job.. if you want a janitorial job you can get top dollar doing that..
Worked mostly nights.Didn't like that
Was a cashier (Former Employee) –  NORTHSIDE1 September 2015
Standing in front of the till waiting for customers to come to my till.It was kind of a long boring job unless one had a lineup of customers that kept me busy.
just want to enjoy my job and who and where I do my job for.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON3 February 2015
most enjoyable for the first 5 yrs. of my 6 yr.employment, but with changes in management come many changes across the whole store and not always necessarily for the better. Store morale is very low and I feel it is time for me to go. I love working with the public and strive to be the best customer service associate possible, and have received 2 certificates of recognition for outstanding customer service from the President of Lowe's Canada.
Pros
benefits for part time staff
Cons
negative feedback from staff, much unhappiness in the workplace overall.
Bad Management
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, Ontario19 December 2014
Your first month as a cashier will be pretty awesome. The other cashiers are nice and helpful when you have questions. The system is honestly the best I have ever dealt with. BUT after that first month generally everyone will expect you to know everything even if you only have 3 days of training (working on the same till as someone watching them do transactions) after that "training" you are pretty much on your own and its pathetic. The majority of the other employees will start to get mad at you if you don't know how to do things, which will be likely because the training is horrible here.
Don't be surprised if the Managers and Head Cashiers get you in trouble for doing something wrong when you didn't know how to do it in the first place and there was no one around to help. The whole management staff couldn't care about you because "everyone is replaceable". So just be prepared to get yelled at by customers, fellow employees, and every other possible person in the store for $11.73 an hour. Gook Luck!
Pros
Pay
Cons
minimal training, careless management, immature co-workers, harassment from co-workers
Welcoming workplace with a lot of help available
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 October 2014
Learned excellent customer service, management was great and welcoming, co-workers were helpful and friendly. Hardest part was on the spot problem solving. Enjoyable job because you're always talking to someone.
Terrible - run, run away
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 February 2014
I was bullied badly at Lowes. Oh did I try to fit in and talk to people. I made it a part of my day. I worked so hard there and loved customers and treated them like friends. I really enjoyed the job and was thrilled to go in each day. Loved it (at first).

If you have a life, prepare to put that life on hold because you'll be clocking 45 hour weeks in the summer. 6 days straight and you will be scheduled against your wishes so you can forget about booking days off because you won't get them.

And oh, forget about anyone liking you if you put in alot of effort and shine all the time and you're not one of the cool kids. I was disliked and ostracized like I had a disease. I was constant fodder for gossip. Lowes is one big clique pretty much a re-run of high school. They hire college students who don't even know how to talk to someone over 35, if they even look at you. All of their younger staff seem to have a hearing problem and won't talk to someone who is "old".

I am really angry at Lowe's for the bullying I went through and being ignored. HR was a joke - she was more concerned about her friends at Lowes than me. Never got any compliments from management at all despite what I brought in every day in terms of energy and enthusiasm. No one stepped in to help me in the worst of it all so I had to leave and it's a terrible job market.

Beware of one manager who really is the devil. Honest to God, she is. Run for the hills.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
See above. There are lots.

57.8K