Lowe's Employee Reviews

Great employee environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 May 2018
Nice atmosphere. Ability to grow in the company. Involves a fast paced environment and lots of hard work. Many fun activities throughout the months, such as bbqs.
Fun place to work
Receiving / Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2018
I enjoy working at Lowes Canada, since I know many of the departments and I enjoy home improvement. I learnt a wide variety of things from different light fixtures to what certain machines are typically used for. The hardest part of my job was the heavy lifting required at times.
Learned a lot of new skills
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 May 2018
This was a contract job, I didn't know how to properly merchandise product. Everyone I worked with were on a contract as well. Everyone was generally happy and able to help me find where products went.
Not Appreciated
Flooring Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON16 May 2018
I'm the type of person to never expect anything in return. But when I went above and beyond I still wasn't even acknowledged once. I completed all required to-dos for the day and still wasn't enough to make management happy.
Pros
Long Lunch Breaks
Cons
Too many to list
Warm and friendly environment
Head Cashier - Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 May 2018
Overall Lowes is an interesting place to work because it taps into so many areas of our expertise and forces us to be fully engaged at all times.
The staff is easy to get along with and very supportive of each other. The one area which needs to be addressed is ensuring that staff is fully trained in order to properly address customers' needs.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Management's slow response time to most things
Lots of work and hours to be had.
Customer Sales Associate / Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2018
Lots of work to be done all the time. Must be self motivated. The store management change frequently and they do not communicate very well together. Not a bad place to work, not a great one either
The first Night-Job I've ever had
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON7 May 2018
This had been the first night shift job I had ever done, and I had gone into it a bit naively - especially when it comes to stocking heavy appliances. It was a ragtag group of people, but they were ultimately good hearted, and I learned that overnight is a lot harder than I ever expected. Don't make the same mistake I did and assume night-shift jobs are easy to manage just because you're a night owl.
Pros
Lots of physical work, built some muscles
Cons
Hours never synced up to the rest of society, making appointments and time sensitive meetings difficult.
Very Physically demanding
Delivery Picker (Nights) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 May 2018
While working as a nights delivery picker my duties consisted of putting customers orders together to be ready for delivery the following morning. This included large orders for Lumber and shingles which are fairly heavy and taxing on the body.
Pros
consistant hours
Cons
extremely under staffed
It is not easy but not too tough.
Sales Associate/ Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 May 2018
I am a night stoker in the company so there are lots of things to manage and also grab goods from truck to fit in the aisle. It was interesting but not so much.
Good management, poor tools to succeed.
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 May 2018
Management puts in conscious effort to create positive corporate culture. Under staffing, high turn-over, antiquated inventory software (DOS) and stringent safety requirements, make for impossible performance expectations.
Pros
Goof effort by management to infuse positive work environment.
Cons
Difficult staff retention, high performance expectations amid low available resources.

Want to know more about Lowe's?

Ask a question
Depends on the store.
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2018
Overall, I wouldn't have stayed with this company if it was entirely bad. They do offer benefits (medical, dental, etc. - that you pay for), decent pay for the field, and some other bonuses - like discounts at specific other places. This company saw me through a LOT of life events.

Management and customer base make a big difference. One of the stores, most of the customers are so entitled and just nasty. Management just says "find a way to deal with it." That store is also so busy, you rarely get all of the breaks the company says you've earned in a workday.
Pros
decent pay & decent benefits
Cons
don't protect their employees from customer abuse.
Fun place to work and learn new skills
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 April 2018
Enjoy the people I work with. Always room to advance in the store (different department/role). Training to drive power equipment (forklift, raymond reach, order picker).
Good retail environment.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 April 2018
Overall a good place to work. Hard work does not go unnoticed and as long as you aren't lazy you wont have many issues. Management does there best but are often overworked and stressed by irrelevant things as a result of demands from upper management. Lots of free staff lunches, events and fundraisers.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Understaffed
Great Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 April 2018
I worked in the garden centre helping to water plants, clean aisles, organize, print and place shelving price stickers for product. It was a great environment never boring and there was always something to do.
Garunteed hours and friendly co-workers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 April 2018
Working at the front end of the store included dealing with basic transactions, returns, online orders and any other type of customer service. Little to no tasks were given when there was down time.
Clock in, unload the truck, put product up
NIGHT CREW (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 April 2018
Got to be trained and work with power equipment such as Order picker and Reach Forklift class and the best part the job is you get to clock out and go home.
Pros
Okay pay
Cons
No soial life
Fantastic place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 April 2018
Overall, Lowe's is a fantastic place to work.

They care about their employees, and not just at the store level. There's room for advancement, and management will actively help you grow if that's your goal. They touch base with you frequently to let you know where you're at and how you can improve. There's always a focus on positivity, not just negativity. You can tell they put a lot of thought into who they hire and where they place them; everyone gets along well and has a great attitude. There are also numerous events and fun stuff for staff, and they try to create a good work-life balance. The company has good values and they stick to them.

The wages are definitely above average for a retail environment. Annual increases aren't anything special, though; the best way to get bigger wage increases is to move positions. There are benefits for part time or full time employees.

I've also never been with a company that's so transparent about everything, which is refreshing. They've taught me a lot about how the business runs and have helped prepare me for when I start my own business one day.

Though it's not your typical miserable retail work environment, it's still a stressful place to work at times, and not everything at Lowe's is perfect. Their systems are outdated. The training program could be better. Most positions require full availability and aren't flexible about it.

If you want to be successful at Lowe's, be eager, adaptable, and, most importantly, just have a good attitude.
Very nice company and staff
Sales Specialist Appliances (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 April 2018
Very nice company and staff, super helpful and patient, Lowes offers the best services to impact customers. There are some parts needing to be improved such as receiving and delivery and sometimes long lead time after placing an order, but overall, it's a very good working environment for people who wants to work in retail.
Pros
Paid Training, Health insurance, holiday and sick hours.
Large company with good values, lots of opportunity for advancement
Term position (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 April 2018
Management team is excellent. Overall employee engagement is really good. Computer systems are outdated and limit efficient performance of certain tasks without time consuming manipulation, difficult to learn all processes in short time. Training of specific job requirements is often inadequate, but overall team support from co-workers help to achieve better understanding. Information and SOP's are sometimes antiquated, paper printed for many things that could be provided electronically.
Pros
Clean, safe and healthy work environment
Cons
Require absolute availability for even part time position, but might only get min hours.
Great Place to work
MILLWORK SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 April 2018
My time at Lowes was very educational and beneficial to my retail experience. Great people to work with and along side. The departmental supervisors were some of the best people.

57.8K