Lowe's Home Improvement

Lowe's Home Improvement: 1,238 Employee Reviews

Canada1,238 reviews

Found 1,238 reviews matching the searchSee all 48,937 reviews
storecanadaronacustomerdepartmentretailcustomshift

Fun, can be relaxed, reasonable expectations

You will grow a thick skin dealing with retail customers, you will learn how to problem solve and overcome challenges if you work a sales specialist position. Lots of people may complain about their job here, but it’s really not that bad. Pay is low, like most retail jobs, no commission but you do get several bonuses per year if your store does well in sales. Sales expectations aren’t always reasonable but you won’t lose your job if you don’t make them. It’s very hard to get fired from this job, there are many toxic creepy men who hit on younger women/girls who hardly receive any consequence for their behaviour. Customers can be very inappropriate as well if you’re a woman working on the floor. You might get treated poorly by the public but it does build experience and a thicker skin. Lots of standing and physical labour is required. Advancement is possible but depending on the store, there is definitely cherry picking. Some days the store is understaffed and you are expected to help in other departments. Overall not bad experience but not the best either.

Pros

BBQ days, quarterly bonuses, good health benefits, respectful management

Cons

Low pay, high stress, management knows less than some store associates on Lowes systems

Unbelievably terrible management

They’ll let you go to make sure they’re the top selling store. They don’t offer night staff air conditioning at all, and they lock you in until 5am. They don’t trust the night staff at all, so you seriously have to wait for a daytime manager to let you out. It is a PRISON, with horrible pay, and management that only cares about sales statistics. Work literally anywhere else. The actual night crew staff are great, though.

Insights into Lowe's Home Improvement

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager

Lowe’s loader / cashier

Management is horrible they could care less about you. They make it known you are replaceable. The people who have been there 10 plus years have never gotten any raises at all. Overall the employees are overworked and have no help.

flexible workplace

I really enjoyed my time in lowes. the staffs are always very helpful and supportive. couldn't ask for better coworkers. My management was nice and would help me out if I had trouble with anything

Meh

Highs and lows. Good staff to work with day to day but pay is low.Management can be out of touch and not involved enough. Can be stressful to deal with customers. Very little if any advancement or opportunity.

Management expects too much

I enjoyed some of my coworkers but the management had real issues. They were so strict to the point that during “power hour” which is actually 4 straight hours, you have to stand on a taped “X” or line on the floor in your department and wait for customers to enter your department. And god forbid a manager walks by and you aren’t standing on your X within those 4 hours. Even when it’s dead in the store.

Relaxed and fun workplace - Busy during summer

Overall would recommend for part time but not full time. Its the best job while you are at school. Not too busy during winter, but at summer can be little stressful. Had a good department manager - a plus sign. One drawback would be wage and rude customers.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Heavy loads especially in Lumber and Flooring - Watch your back

fun

it was fine,didnt really love it but didnt really hate it either, i thought that the best part of it was that you could just chill and not work too hard

Typical Retail Corporate Environment

Initially they gave me quick opportunities to move up because I took initiative. I got some great leadership training. In the end, I was laid off when the big wigs decided to reduce the number of assistant store managers so they could put more money in their pockets. Up until that point, there were a lot of things I enjoyed about working there.

only good if this is your first job

working at lowes was definetly not the best experience, if you can please avoid, the work culture is not the best and the management is a joke, kjjkkj

Cool

It was an interesting work place. A lot of favouritism. Got to learn a lot of things, great learning experience. Decided it was not for me in the end.

Good part-time job

Good place to work. Fun and inclusive environment. Coworkers and most managers were very nice and friendly. I liked working here for a part-time job!!

A pleasant experience assisting and aiding customers in their needs and applying knowledge of the materials to guide them to the right products. This is a job that advanced my skill set and was enjoyable.

Productive and fun workplace

Loved it here. Solid pay, easy work, boring yet relaxed environment and chances to learn many new things. In house machinery licenses cannot be used for other jobs, unfortunately.

Nice place to work!

Nice job. If you like to help people ,this is the Job for you. It was fun working here for as long as I did. Management was understanding and staff was friendly. Plus you learn a lot about home improvement.

Good first job

Lowe’s is a good place to work if your a student , Very easy to balance your work life and normal life, wouldn’t suggest working here if your lazy (especially for the loader position) unless you want less hours and no respect from management and co-workers

Bad hours

Good for students to earn some pocket money. Stay away if you need hours to make a living. Manager asked me to work at 6 am if I want to get hours. Even after I agree it (feels like killing me to start at 6), they still cut my hours

Pros

Teamwork, noob friendly

Cons

Hours cut, low salary

alright management, flaky hours, unorganized

not a fun place to work. hours are very all over the place, there's lots of gossip, they're constantly understaffed and when it comes to trying to find someone that can drive forklift to get something down say goodbye to at least 25 minutes of your time. getting pulled to do multiple things at once is a huge problem and rules keep getting changed, for example, got told that i could only have a drink in the break room in the middle of summer.

Incompetent would be a compliment.

The work life balance is non-existent. Constant 10-11 day shifts of 10 hours with a day off before another round. There is next to no training, most positions require use of the picker trucks, but good luck getting trained on those in a timely manner. Be sure to note just because you can't use the trucks to do your job doesn't mean you won't be expected to do the job anyway, while being reprimanded for your inability to do a job you aren't given the tools or certifications needed to do so. If you should follow managements advice to get a certified operator to help you (if any are able) you will be reprimanded for pulling them away from their tasks (even though it was management who told you to do so).

Pros

There is a dispenery 100m away from my old location to help with the cons.

Cons

Poor management, poor work-life balance, high expectations, no training, high employee turnover, Todd.

Best suited for students looking for part time.

The interview was fairly simple, they asked a few customer service STAR questions. If you are working part time, they'll hire the ones living close to their work place.

Cons

No room for growth, no matter how much you try.

Poor management

Really poor management. Only hires on peak positions and cuts your hours whenever they don't need you anymore. Don't apply here unless you wanna hate your life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lowe's Home Improvement. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement