Lowe's Home Improvement

Lowe's Home Improvement Employee Reviews

Canada1,219 reviews

Found 1,219 reviews matching the searchSee all 48,310 reviews

Great start for teenagers

Overall , fairly good job environment. It can be fun at some time . Management can be unprofessional in the sense where they make things personal like not liking you and will cut you hours . They also play favourites which is unprofessional.

Poor management

Really poor management. Only hires on peak positions and cuts your hours whenever they don't need you anymore. Don't apply here unless you wanna hate your life

Insights into Lowe's Home Improvement

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

Decent pay, but they keep adding more and more to your plate.

Can be a great place to work, but that all depends on the management at your location. Summer is crazy busy! As long as you do your job, you'll do well here.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Erratic schedule, work most weekends

Horrible communication

I am so disappointed with this place in Newmarket. I will never recommend anyone to shop in this store. I applied for work here 1 month ago as a sales associate for electrical. I had 2 interviews in about a week's time with two department managers. The last manager said I had to go through a background check. It has been over a month and haven't been updated at all. It shouldn't take that long because my background record is clean. At least if I didn't get the job, they could have gone through Indeed and said "Not selected". That would have been fine but to just leave someone hanging like that is really poor management. Very disappointed how such a large company can treat people this way.

Pros

Cons

Horrible communication

good

Easy work but better management is needed. managers were really lazy. Many students are hired for this job but with no knowledge of products so many of them struggled.

Team inclusiveness

Great people Fast pace Lots to learnDifferent skills are built Social skills are encouragedStrive for customer excellence Clean storeAlways helpful

Not bad at all

As far as retail is concerned, you can't go wrong with Lowes. Start at the bottom and work your way up to management. The biggest problem is corporate is way more focused on the eastern stores and completely forgets about the western stores.

Pros

Decent benefits, advancment, decent pay.

Cons

Communication, not the best equipment, corporate

Fun workplace

The pay is minimum wage as expected for that type of job but there was a great comradeship among the employees and the managers where very supportive. Really enjoyed my time there.

Pros

Free snacks

Liked my co-workers despite it being a stressful job

I worked as a summer student, so it was just a temporary seasonal job. I really liked my co-workers, who were very supportive and kind. I found the job stressful in terms of the customers. Out of all the customer service jobs I did, the ones at the hardware job were the most verbally abusive. I'm thankful to have had co-workers who helped me when I was overwhelmed, but I would never do the job again.

Not ideal for a first time job for a student or as a part time

Management is terrible, unorganized pushes you to work your butt off and no respect to you or your work you put in the company. Workplace is terrible, lack of staff, cheap company, budget cuts everywhere and anywhere.

Disorganized

Too large to function with to few staff. Elaborate policy dictated outside of the storefront. Constant excuses for problems but no solutions. Full time days but part time hours. This was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

Pros

Fresh air.

Cons

Exploitative practices, bloated policy

Decent place to work

Nothing really bad to say nothing really good to say. I worked here part time until I found something else. The environment is pretty laid back.

Not a safe working environment or inexclusive.

They are so set in their ways that new old ideas do not have a place in an indifferent culture. Good luck with that. Clothing does not hide the cameras. Not a place I would set foot ever again.

Great management and staff, poor work life balance and paid minimum wage.

With many part time jobs, working hours are varied, but at Lowes the hours are all over the place. You can expect to start working for some shifts at 5-6 am, and some days close the store and leave ad 9-10 pm. The pay is minimum wage and their yearly raises don't cover inflation. Overall, the best part about the company is the staff and management. I feel like I had a good experience working there.

They will give you your training and then disappear on you.

The beginning at lowes was great I was unfamiliar with the department I was placed in however I tried my best to learn everything as fast as I could. Due to the company being so short handed my co workers were often pulled to other areas of the store leaving me to be the sole employee in my department. I was told I would have other experienced employees to assist with questions I was unsure of however that was not the case most times. I would get bombarded by questions from every customer in the area to get products from them from the back while attempting to direct other customers to their products and whenever I would try to find other coworkers for assistance with the customer surge, they were never around. They will give you your training and then disappear on you.

Pros

Nice work area

Cons

Unreasonable customers

Great place to get started.

A great place, supportive management, a lot of opportunities to learn, other employees generally helpful and friendly. Flexible schedule is great for students.

Pros

Friendly, supportive.

Cons

Pay could be higher.

Productive and fun place to work

I have nothing bad to say about my time here. It was fun, fulfilling and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would definitely work on putting out better schedules but the hours are there to be worked

Typical Retail

For us younger guys the culture was great. But like most other retail stores the older groups were constantly upset with management and the corporate.

Good

I really enjoyed my time working here. It is a good environment. You have a lot of opportunities to move around, they are flexible wit hours and students. They are accomodating.

Fun place to work

I enjoyed my time at Lowe's Canada. a great place to work and meet other professionals. It was unfortunate that the company moved its head office to Quebec but again, it is a management decision.

Productive enjoyable workplace

If you like keeping busy in a fast paced retail environment 10/10, great College job! Management was excellent, very professional and extremely helpful. Other employees may seem not to care but take them with a grain of salt.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lowe's Home Improvement. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement