LOSS PREVENTION SERVICES LIMITED Employee Reviews

Another private security company
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa23 December 2019
A lot of Rude clients with this company...Pay is not the greatest....A lot of dangerous sites... Management is ok though... You need to own a car if you plan to work for this company.
Great place to get experience
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 October 2019
I was hired recently in KW area and I finished training two weeks ago. It is great so far, the training was extensive and informative. I learned a lot about the job and myself. I have never seen a job that is more interesting than this one. I would definitely recommend it.

I was sent to London Ontario to do my training at a really bad store down town where there is a lot of criminal activity.

I love the job and my supervisors and managers have been great so far.
Terrible
LPO (Former Employee) –  Everywhere17 October 2019
Terrible place to work with terrible people some I would call evil. Will tell you one thing then do another. Management is great at selling the job to you but can’t follow through on anything.
Work if you want to Work
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2019
Seems there is always plenty of hours for anyone that turns up for work and does what they are paid to do.
Managers are relaxed and flexible if you just get on with it !
Everyone always want more pay but security is never going to make you rich
Decent place to work overall
Pros
Flexible management
Cons
Lots of late shifts - weekends
Management need to manage better
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON20 September 2019
While employed I found LPS to be a desperate company who'll hire anyone to work in a high risk job.Pay is poor. I went from 12.50 in 2010 to finally 13.50 in 2015 only to have that 1.00 taken without my permission to cover their legal bills. This happened to us all. If you leave, the supervisor with make sure you dont work in security for anyone else.
25 September 2019

Thank you for your review.

While we disagree with the information your provided, we respect everyone's feedback especially if it is constructive criticism.

We wish you best of luck in your future endeavours.

Regards,

Good Job Experience
Uniform Loss Prevention Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 August 2019
Its a very good company to work with, teaches you how to do work without supervision. Management is good but they never gave me more to work whenever i demand for.
Pros
Best Working Environment
Cons
Less pay rates
25 September 2019

Thank you for your feedback.

We are constantly working on improving our pay rates.

Regards,

great experience
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 July 2019
I just started working for LPS two months ago and i like it here. i am planning on working in law enforcement once i have enough life experience. hours are flexible but no weekends off. a lot of things are done on the internet... when you start you will train with experience loss prevention investigators then do training on the internet. report writing on internet too. pay is very good and the experience phenomenal. would definitely recommend.
Pros
pay experience flexible schedule good manager
Cons
travel to leamington and chatham and no weekends off
Excellent job to develop crucial skills and confidence for a future law enforcement career
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 May 2019
I first joined the company in June 2018, my interview was with a local supervisor in the Windsor area. The supervisor was incredibly knowledgeable about many aspects of loss prevention. The supervisor and the regional loss prevention manager personally conducted all necessary training to prepare me for all types of situations that will occur during my duties. The role of a Loss Prevention Investigator is to detect and apprehend shoplifters for a variety of crimes such as theft, fraud and mischief. Every apprehension dictates a different approach to the situation. What I really liked about my supervisor and manager was that they are very approachable, whenever I am uncertain of how to tackle a situation I would always call my manager and they can walk me through it, you may conduct your duties alone but you will never be without backup your coworkers and managers are only a phone call away to assist you. There really is no first security related job you can get to prepare you for a field such as law enforcement, this job literally requires you to execute arrests! And deliver them to a police officer for punishment. You also learn many laws that will help you with future law enforcement careers. When it comes down to the money I really can’t complain the starting wage is $18.00 a hour and it only gets better, as long as you produce a good amount of arrests and are a honest employee such as reporting mistakes, it’s a great job.
Great job
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  London, ON14 May 2019
I've only been with the company for 6 months and it's been a great ride so far.

This is not the job for you if your social life comes first or if you have kids.. you'll be away at work the majority of the day

Management are extremely flexible & understanding and often very reasonable (depending on what the situation is). expect close scrutiny if you don't get arrests is the only annoying part since it's luck most of the time.
Pros
experience, work culture, pay
Cons
split shifts, performance reviews
Good security company - not so good clients
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON28 February 2019
The entire job depends on which sites you're scheduled to work. LPS as a security company is a very reasonable one and they don't pull some of the sketchy stuff that others do. My only issue is the clients... depending on where you work it can either ruin your day or make it. The majority of the clients are supportive of your role and of you, they want you to get arrests... but there is a small faction of clients who are just miserable and don't want to be at work and they end up making your life miserable as well.

This is a good job if you're just looking to build some experience for a year or two then move on not to make it a career. Loving/hating the job will depend on your career goals honestly. I am just here for the experience and surely appreciate everything LPS has to offer
Pros
experience, pay, flexible schedule, understanding management
Cons
client, dealing with junkies
Very Good Company to Work for
Undercover Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario18 January 2019
I had the pleasure of working for this company for an unfortunately short time. The Regional Loss Prevention Manager from London was very encouraging, professional, knowledgeable, and an excellent supervisor. The work consisted of plain clothes security detail detecting and apprehending shoplifters for various retail locations in the Windsor and Chatham-Kent areas. I only left due to an unrelated industry employer offering me a substantial wage increase for an unrelated job. The only downside is dealing with a culture that feels entitled to steal whatever they want, most of which is related to serious substance addiction issues and a criminal mindset. Keep in mind that some of these people have the mindset that they have nothing to lose and can become combative. You are not expected to fight with people and the company strongly encourages you to release the person in the event that happens. This is the company to work for if a person is interested in this type of security work. You will be conducting surveillance and arresting shoplifters and turning them over to the police. You are expected to work with little supervision, be attentive, punctual, confident and professional. Effective report writing skills are a must. The store employees do watch you and some retail locations have a hands off policy!!!
Pros
Decent starting wage, good manager, no micro-managing
Cons
Not recommended if your social life comes before your job.
Terrible
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2019
The manager doesn’t know how to schedule and is the reason for the high turn over rate, he is extremely disrespectful and doesn’t know how to treat his workers. Every person that I’ve spoken to that has quit has said their reasoning was the manager. Avoid this unprofessional company.
Pros
Cons
Terrible manager, lots of travelling on the job
Not much to complain about
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 December 2018
I was looking for something to complain about but there isn't much to complain about. the company itself is well rounded its just the occupation of "Loss Prevention Investigator" gets boring after a while. The excitement last long and you will be blown away by some of the silly things people do... then you can pretty much predict what shoplifters will say

taking paperwork to the office every two weeks is frustrating because I live on the other end of town and have to drive through traffic...
Pros
adrenaline rush, flexible hours
Cons
paperwork
Good company good job
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 December 2018
I started working 3 months ago and today I passed my probationary period.

So far it has been very good. My experience with management has been above average. In my past jobs managers always think they are right %100 of the time but not in this company they actually listen to concerns and have improved on some things.

My experience with clients has been just OK... the majority of clients are nice, but some of them have nothing better to do than interfere in your job and they want to talk to the people you watch... very annoying.

My experience with other loss prevention & police has been positive they are very supportive and sometimes give small prizes to motivate.

Overall if things stay the same I will continue working.
Pros
loss prevention experience, pay, support
Cons
training in london when first started
I love this job!
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON14 November 2018
I did some mall security in my previous job and I never thought security could get anymore exciting until I got this job. I am now working as loss prevention investigator in plain clothes which is awesome. I get to arrest people for shoplifting and no one knows what I am doing when i am at work.
The training was great even though i had to do 3 days in London. It was very entertaining and informative. Two weeks after going on my own i got my first arrest and everyone was happy and supportive for me.
the pay is alright but could be better then again the experience you gain here is very good.
This company has a ton of hours and they're always looking to hire people never heard of a security company expand this fast, definitely a cool job to have.
Pros
experience, arresting people, learning to write reports
Cons
pay could be better
16 November 2018

Hello & thank you for your review.

We are glad to hear you're enjoying your time with us.

We are continuously working on improving our pay rate to remain competitive. Keep your eyes peeled ;)

Loss Prevention Services Limited

Much better than I thought
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2018
At first glance I was hesitant to apply to working here based on some of the other reviews but it seems that the disgruntled employee/ex-employee will actually take the time to write a bad review... My my experience has been above average thus far with the company. I can say it's much better than some of the horrific security companies I had to work for before.

Of course, like any other business they have things to improve.. like the timesheets and punching in and out process... but overall things get done fast, management is OK, other guards are great and very productive apprehension wise. Unlike all the other security companies, they actually took the time to train me for a week before sending me out on my own.
Pros
training, pay, work culture
Cons
crackheads
5 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly agree with the timesheets and punching in & out issues. We are working on introducing a technological piece that will eliminate the need for paperwork.

Excellent experience
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 September 2018
I don't know what all the other reviews about, but my experience has been different with the company.
I applied on indeed and got an interview date on email from the company. I wouldn't even classify the interview as an "interview" it was more like an educational session I personally found it entertaining.

I was trained for about a week and got to see a ton of arrests before going on my own. Some stores are slow because they're located in well off areas but others are rough. I would recommend working LP if you're thinking of joining law enforcement.

I did few other security companies before this one, and they're just terrible with almost everything even the pay.
Pros
Pay rate is very good, team, large clients, flexible management
Cons
shifts ending midnight
5 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad to hear you are enjoying your employment with us.

Loss Prevention Services Ltd.

Do nothing and get paid nothing!
Less Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 August 2018
A typical day: Stand around lots and do nothing

What I learned there: they didn't make any real training and expected me to arrest people safely

Management: I didn't deal with management but only the supervisors, but there wasn't organized

Workplace culture: Do what they say or you dont have a job

The hardest part of the job: Not making money

The most enjoyable part of the job: Nobody cares about you if only you show up so nobody is supervising you
Pros
be by self lots
Cons
no money

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with us. We pride ourselves on the exceptional training we provide to all our new hires. Please email us at info@losspreventionservices.ca with suggestions on how we can improve our training.

Organiztional Nightmare
LPI (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 June 2018
This company is stuck in the dark ages and nobody knows how to communicate and keep organized. Pay always had so many mistakes and I bet no coincidence that it was always short. I get that it's a chaotic industry, but how many times do you really need to remake the schedule?

The training is, well, not really even training. They just want to send you to a store so they can collect there pay check, but no love for the entry level workers. Im a student so I put up with it but otherwise there is no way

I honestly love the culture of the work because you get to be very independent and work alone and at you're own pace, other than that not too happy
Pros
Work culture, independence
Cons
Bad training, no organization, a bit sketch

Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with us. Please email us at info@losspreventionservices.ca with where you felt training was weak so we can work on improving it.

Loss Prevention Services Ltd.

Get paid minimum wage o be unethical!
Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2018
Do you take pleasure in human suffering? Would you like to arrest an old lady who clearly isn't all there for accidentally stealing a chocolate bar, and watch her have a panic attack? Would you like to be pressured by management to make the arrest even without sufficient evidence? Would you like to get terminated for objecting to this?

I tried to find a new LP job after my old company, and I did not last very long. I realize that the company has every right to arrest someone for stealing, but not all companies have a trigger-happy, power-hungry approach to it...
Pros
Independent Work
Cons
Unethical

Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with us. We certainly don't take pleasure in human suffering and we understand that people make mistakes. Therefore, we have certain policies in place to avoid such situations.

Loss Prevention Services Ltd.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LOSS PREVENTION SERVICES LIMITED. Our community is ready to answer.