LOSS PREVENTION SERVICES LIMITED

LOSS PREVENTION SERVICES LIMITED Employee Reviews

no work life/personal life balance. Most shifts are in the middle of the day which prevents you from doing anything else... 12-9 shifts are awful but i understand it's when the stores are the busiest... Majority of the "clients" are ok, but some of them are extremely rude and dismissive of us. supervisor & manager are ok they both work the stores too so they understand the daily struggles. Some sites are extremely hostile like the downtown stores so you need to be very careful when working there. coworkers are supportive and provide helpful information when needed. hardest part is having a life outside of work.
Pros
good experience for policing, pay is better than other security jobs
Cons
shift times
Cat and mouse...a game, right? You're the cat...chasing the mouse and this is supposed to be fun? We're rewarded for arrests and ruining people's days?Let's get something perfectly CLEAR...you are working for "THE MAN!!. You are working for billionaire corporations. They don't care about people; they care about money.I started to feel really down about my role as punishing the little person while saving dollars for the millionaires.The average shoplifter is a human being with emotional/psychological problems. I'm sorry, but we're not trained psychologists. When humans start to cry, the natural instinct is to comfort and console. We're trained to ignore the humanity and focus on the punishment. This will kill your soul after a while.I understand that huge criminal/professional theft/shoplifting schemes should be prevented. This kind of activity is rare and likely the people are armed so we stay away. Basically, we go after normal people and if you think it's satisfying to be rewarded for punishing normal people, go for it.Remember, you're only helping the BIG CORPORATION, not the average human. I left to actually help people.I knew people who shoplifted and they were kind people struggling with addiction. Addicts should be helped, not arrested and punished. Stores are built like casinos....the lighting and placement of products encourage emotional reactions and distress. Shoplifting is growing because of the growing disconnect with each other. If you think you're "better" than the shoplifter, then you'll get an ego boost with each arrest. If you're - more...
Pros
Experiencing the worst that corporations are so that I knew to GET OUT.
fast paced work ethic, company is very strict with its policy due to the sensitivity of the nature of work. Though the management work hard to make the job worth-while by explaining everything in a timely fashion.
3 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we are certainly strict when it comes to policies & procedures, we are arresting people after all and we want to make sure everyone is treated equally and following the law. Regards, Loss Prevention Services Limited
One of the funnest jobs I have ever had. Very interesting I didn't even know this type of job existed until I saw the ad on indeed. I have only been employed here for 4 months. lots of people steal keep you busy
Pros
fun and challenging
Cons
long hours in retail stores, some clients are rude
3 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback, We are glad you are having fun working for us and hopefully the 4 months turn into 4 years. Regards, Loss Prevention Services Limited
A lot of Rude clients with this company...Pay is not the greatest....A lot of dangerous sites... Management is ok though... You need to own a car if you plan to work for this company.
3 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We understand that customer service can be difficult at times but it does come with many benefits. Hopefully you will change your mind in the near futureRegards, Loss Prevention Services Limited
I was hired recently in KW area and I finished training two weeks ago. It is great so far, the training was extensive and informative. I learned a lot about the job and myself. I have never seen a job that is more interesting than this one. I would definitely recommend it. I was sent to London Ontario to do my training at a really bad store down town where there is a lot of criminal activity. I love the job and my supervisors and managers have been great so far.
3 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We try our best to ensure our employees are trained properly, and we are glad you love the job! Regards, Loss Prevention Services Limited
Terrible place to work with terrible people some I would call evil. Will tell you one thing then do another. Management is great at selling the job to you but can’t follow through on anything.
3 February 2020
Sorry you feel that way. We take all complaints seriously. If you were promised one thing but wasn't delivered, please reach out to me directly info@losspreventionservices.ca or 519-281-3185 and we will make it right.
Seems there is always plenty of hours for anyone that turns up for work and does what they are paid to do. Managers are relaxed and flexible if you just get on with it ! Everyone always want more pay but security is never going to make you rich Decent place to work overall
Pros
Flexible management
Cons
Lots of late shifts - weekends
Thank you for your review. Regards, Loss Prevention Services Limited
While employed I found LPS to be a desperate company who'll hire anyone to work in a high risk job.Pay is poor. I went from 12.50 in 2010 to finally 13.50 in 2015 only to have that 1.00 taken without my permission to cover their legal bills. This happened to us all. If you leave, the supervisor with make sure you dont work in security for anyone else.
25 September 2019
Thank you for your review. While we disagree with the information your provided, we respect everyone's feedback especially if it is constructive criticism. We wish you best of luck in your future endeavours. Regards, Loss Prevention Services Ltd.
Its a very good company to work with, teaches you how to do work without supervision. Management is good but they never gave me more to work whenever i demand for.
Pros
Best Working Environment
Cons
Less pay rates
25 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We are constantly working on improving our pay rates. Regards, Loss Prevention Services Ltd.
I just started working for LPS two months ago and i like it here. i am planning on working in law enforcement once i have enough life experience. hours are flexible but no weekends off. a lot of things are done on the internet... when you start you will train with experience loss prevention investigators then do training on the internet. report writing on internet too. pay is very good and the experience phenomenal. would definitely recommend.
Pros
pay experience flexible schedule good manager
Cons
travel to leamington and chatham and no weekends off
I first joined the company in June 2018, my interview was with a local supervisor in the Windsor area. The supervisor was incredibly knowledgeable about many aspects of loss prevention. The supervisor and the regional loss prevention manager personally conducted all necessary training to prepare me for all types of situations that will occur during my duties. The role of a Loss Prevention Investigator is to detect and apprehend shoplifters for a variety of crimes such as theft, fraud and mischief. Every apprehension dictates a different approach to the situation. What I really liked about my supervisor and manager was that they are very approachable, whenever I am uncertain of how to tackle a situation I would always call my manager and they can walk me through it, you may conduct your duties alone but you will never be without backup your coworkers and managers are only a phone call away to assist you. There really is no first security related job you can get to prepare you for a field such as law enforcement, this job literally requires you to execute arrests! And deliver them to a police officer for punishment. You also learn many laws that will help you with future law enforcement careers. When it comes down to the money I really can’t complain the starting wage is $18.00 a hour and it only gets better, as long as you produce a good amount of arrests and are a honest employee such as reporting mistakes, it’s a great job.
I've only been with the company for 6 months and it's been a great ride so far. This is not the job for you if your social life comes first or if you have kids.. you'll be away at work the majority of the day Management are extremely flexible & understanding and often very reasonable (depending on what the situation is). expect close scrutiny if you don't get arrests is the only annoying part since it's luck most of the time.
Pros
experience, work culture, pay
Cons
split shifts, performance reviews
The entire job depends on which sites you're scheduled to work. LPS as a security company is a very reasonable one and they don't pull some of the sketchy stuff that others do. My only issue is the clients... depending on where you work it can either ruin your day or make it. The majority of the clients are supportive of your role and of you, they want you to get arrests... but there is a small faction of clients who are just miserable and don't want to be at work and they end up making your life miserable as well. This is a good job if you're just looking to build some experience for a year or two then move on not to make it a career. Loving/hating the job will depend on your career goals honestly. I am just here for the experience and surely appreciate everything LPS has to offer
Pros
experience, pay, flexible schedule, understanding management
Cons
client, dealing with junkies
I had the pleasure of working for this company for an unfortunately short time. The Regional Loss Prevention Manager from London was very encouraging, professional, knowledgeable, and an excellent supervisor. The work consisted of plain clothes security detail detecting and apprehending shoplifters for various retail locations in the Windsor and Chatham-Kent areas. I only left due to an unrelated industry employer offering me a substantial wage increase for an unrelated job. The only downside is dealing with a culture that feels entitled to steal whatever they want, most of which is related to serious substance addiction issues and a criminal mindset. Keep in mind that some of these people have the mindset that they have nothing to lose and can become combative. You are not expected to fight with people and the company strongly encourages you to release the person in the event that happens. This is the company to work for if a person is interested in this type of security work. You will be conducting surveillance and arresting shoplifters and turning them over to the police. You are expected to work with little supervision, be attentive, punctual, confident and professional. Effective report writing skills are a must. The store employees do watch you and some retail locations have a hands off policy!!!
Pros
Decent starting wage, good manager, no micro-managing
Cons
Not recommended if your social life comes before your job.
The manager doesn’t know how to schedule and is the reason for the high turn over rate, he is extremely disrespectful and doesn’t know how to treat his workers. Every person that I’ve spoken to that has quit has said their reasoning was the manager. Avoid this unprofessional company.
Pros
Cons
Terrible manager, lots of travelling on the job
I was looking for something to complain about but there isn't much to complain about. the company itself is well rounded its just the occupation of "Loss Prevention Investigator" gets boring after a while. The excitement last long and you will be blown away by some of the silly things people do... then you can pretty much predict what shoplifters will say taking paperwork to the office every two weeks is frustrating because I live on the other end of town and have to drive through traffic...
Pros
adrenaline rush, flexible hours
Cons
paperwork
I started working 3 months ago and today I passed my probationary period. So far it has been very good. My experience with management has been above average. In my past jobs managers always think they are right %100 of the time but not in this company they actually listen to concerns and have improved on some things. My experience with clients has been just OK... the majority of clients are nice, but some of them have nothing better to do than interfere in your job and they want to talk to the people you watch... very annoying. My experience with other loss prevention & police has been positive they are very supportive and sometimes give small prizes to motivate. Overall if things stay the same I will continue working.
Pros
loss prevention experience, pay, support
Cons
training in london when first started
I did some mall security in my previous job and I never thought security could get anymore exciting until I got this job. I am now working as loss prevention investigator in plain clothes which is awesome. I get to arrest people for shoplifting and no one knows what I am doing when i am at work. The training was great even though i had to do 3 days in London. It was very entertaining and informative. Two weeks after going on my own i got my first arrest and everyone was happy and supportive for me. the pay is alright but could be better then again the experience you gain here is very good. This company has a ton of hours and they're always looking to hire people never heard of a security company expand this fast, definitely a cool job to have.
Pros
experience, arresting people, learning to write reports
Cons
pay could be better
16 November 2018
Hello & thank you for your review.We are glad to hear you're enjoying your time with us. We are continuously working on improving our pay rate to remain competitive. Keep your eyes peeled ;)Sincerely, Loss Prevention Services Limited
At first glance I was hesitant to apply to working here based on some of the other reviews but it seems that the disgruntled employee/ex-employee will actually take the time to write a bad review... My my experience has been above average thus far with the company. I can say it's much better than some of the horrific security companies I had to work for before. Of course, like any other business they have things to improve.. like the timesheets and punching in and out process... but overall things get done fast, management is OK, other guards are great and very productive apprehension wise. Unlike all the other security companies, they actually took the time to train me for a week before sending me out on my own.
Pros
training, pay, work culture
Cons
crackheads
5 November 2018
Thank you for your feedback. We certainly agree with the timesheets and punching in & out issues. We are working on introducing a technological piece that will eliminate the need for paperwork. Sincerely, Loss Prevention Services Ltd.
I don't know what all the other reviews about, but my experience has been different with the company. I applied on indeed and got an interview date on email from the company. I wouldn't even classify the interview as an "interview" it was more like an educational session I personally found it entertaining. I was trained for about a week and got to see a ton of arrests before going on my own. Some stores are slow because they're located in well off areas but others are rough. I would recommend working LP if you're thinking of joining law enforcement. I did few other security companies before this one, and they're just terrible with almost everything even the pay.
Pros
Pay rate is very good, team, large clients, flexible management
Cons
shifts ending midnight
5 November 2018
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your employment with us. Sincerely, Loss Prevention Services Ltd.