Lord Abbett & Co

Lord Abbett & Co Employee Reviews

Very high expectations with no real support from management

- Solid company that is trying to change for the future, still has some ways to go. Very good at what they specialize in for products and everyone is trying to grow the company.- Very much still a boys club. They claim to be inclusive and constantly talk about how great their culture is.- Want you to be in the office ASAP. Treated in some departments like a high schooler that is slacking off. They want you to be in so they can watch you. - Needs more outside managers from different firms, lots of internal promotions of people who drink the Kool-Aid. Some managers are good, but there are some who are certainly not people leaders and do not know how to encourage others.- Compensation is decent. Not transparent on how it is determined for you.

It’s like being in high school all over again

In my experience, the place does not offer much room for growth and does not care for you if you are not apart of the in-crowd there. The last manager I had did nothing to help me while there and I believe she actively pushed me in the direction of leaving the firm. Would not recommend this place to anyone other than those looking to work in mutual funds. My experience was with the legal department there.

No opportunity for advancement

The benefits are good. The work is not difficult and doesn't require much thought or effort. Please do not enter in this expecting to advancement opportunities.

Great Place to work

Lord Abbett has improved dramatically in the past few years. I am very happy to work there. It is a long only mutual fund company so don’t expect hedge fund competency but the culture is so fun

Trying to change it's stripes

Lord Abbett's going through a shake up. The firm's new Managing Director has transported the firm to the new millennium by embracing technology, providing better benefits and realizing that employees need a better work/life balance. While the changes are wonderful, unless you're part of the protected "boys club" that consist of mainly white males, you will never advance at the firm. Advancement is safeguarded for management only. If you are okay being micromanaged, stuck in your career without a chance for advancement, then this is the place for you!

Nice working environment and office settings

Overall good work-life balance. Cross-functional collaboration is the most fun part of the job. There are very limited career advancement opportunities.

Very Conservative

Lord Abbett is a very conservative company - still wearing suits and ties. Great entry level position and compensation was perfect for a first job.......

Not Suggested

Horrendous place to work, a bunch of partners who have built a business for themselves and everyone else is there at their behest. No one talented to learn from.

Great history - gloomy future

Great first job out of college - other than that, its an awful place to work. People are stuck up, racist, rude, and typically hire rich frat boys to fit in with the crony managers. AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE

Pros

compensation

Cons

everything else

Fun place to work at

Work hand and hand with retail investors talking about fixed income and equity solutions that can help their clients portfolios. Gain an in-depth understanding of credit sensitive fixed income markets.

Pros

Learn a lot

Cons

skills aren't transferable

Excellent Work Life Balance. Exciting Time to be at LA

New CEO, excellent vision and focus. Many ongoing changes that could bring the company to the next level. Exciting time to work at Lord Abbett. Solid company with solid track record in Fixed Income

Pros

Work Life Balance

Cons

Career opportunities potentially limiting

Not happy there

Not happy as there was no room for any type of growth, there was alot of descrimination and politics that was based on favoritism The hours were not flexible

Pros

Gym

Cons

Descrimination

Leanring experience

Best view I can get by working for this Mutual fund company. great work environment and learned a lot about taxes and Bloomberg systems..Hardest part of the job was the tax season and staying till midnight to finish up the work for 4 months.

Poor management

The marketing department was not well-managed. There also seemed to be a lot of dissatisfaction in other departments as well. That said, during the financial crisis, they avoided layoffs and steps were taken to maintain compensation. I also learned a lot while I was there. So, it wasn't all bad.

Pros

Compensation and job security were good.

Cons

Poor management

I had a great experience at Lord Abbett

In my experience, Lord Abbett was a great company to work for. The work was challenging, sometimes stressful, but overall I felt fairly compensated for the work I performed. It was a great work environment and I have made life-long friends there. If they offered any flex-hours or work-from-home, I probably would still be there.

Pros

Excellent salary

Cons

Long hours, no flex-time

Stable job in financial world

This is a fee based business, so in spite of being in finance world, it is relatively stable. Some groups/ departments have lot of work and they are overworked. Some groups have less work than most.

Pros

Parking, cafeteria in office building

Cons

Some groups have lot of work in tune of 12 hours per day

if you have a strong shield wear it ! Lots of backstabbing culture at LA

great pay but management does not stand for you. Culture of followers and not leaders for what I saw. Cutthroat environment where for the slightest visible or known error can cause your job. Not in training personnel well in tech issues. HR backs the company somehow and not the employee especially if the employee is experiencing issues with the company. Stressful situations making it difficult to work without look over your shoulder - you are never safe!

benefits

Cons

salary (depending what dept)

great compensation but cutthroat environment

Great place as it was laid back most times, when a project was due then it would be rush time. Management did not guide workers and at times backstabbing most. Lack the latest in technology.

Pros

compensation salary and benefits

Cons

culture and management

Not a great place to work anymore

Partner turnover has changed the culture of Lord, Abbett to a cutthroat firm, where the clique runs the company. More about kissing "butt" than doing a quality job.

Pros

excellent office furniture

Cons

Short-sighted management clique

Not for the faint of heart ..

The firm is going through many changes at this time, our new head of technology is from Goldman and expects 60 hour work weeks at the least, if you do not comply .. it will be addressed in your performance bonus ...

Pros

subsidized cafe, on site gym

Cons

mounting pressure ..

Strategy Changes every year in equities

5 head of equities in 8 years with no investment culture with analysts and PM not aligned. Its not a consistent effort by every analysts with no framework or communication of investment ideas leads to inconsistent performance across the firm. Prior CIO damaged the equity franchise with it unable to function going forward.

Pros

nice offices

Cons

management has no idea what they are doing running the company into the ground

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lord Abbett & Co. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement