Lookout Emergency Aid Society

Support Worker9 reviews
Canada9 reviews

Insights into Lookout Emergency Aid Society

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energizing work tasks

Mental Health and Addictions (Harm Reduction Housing Programs)

You need to have thick skin to work in this environment. On any given day, just like any other place where the client based suffers from mental health and addictions, you don't always know what you are walking into. The management differs from each site, some are super supportive and help the staff, and others avoid have do any work at all. Pay and benefits are good if you have a regularized full time line.

Pros

Amazing benefits

Cons

Unstable work environment

Sneaky and treacherous work place

I worked here for almost 5 years. Many coworkers actively using narcotics during shift. Management plays favorites so if they like you on Monday. Be prepared to be fired Friday.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Racist

Racist, the manager was judging me and I was from college an employee left me alone on shift, I was a student and got job but was abused verbally and felt scared at Walton hotel

Pros

Good company

Cons

Bad management

Poorly managed organization with a lot of potential

Assisting clients to reach goals is personally rewarding. Unionized worksites; job security is good. Some worksites have strong teams; others suffer from dysfunction. Poor job training for new hires. Few continuing education or advanced training opportunities. Advancement often dependent on favoritism--not merit. Poor management training and development. Organization focusing on growth rather than development. Job has many disagreeable factors. Client program development is deficient.

Stressful environment but great people to work with

Loved the work but at the end of the day, I had to think about my own safety. The best thing I had experienced working with them is that my coworkers were always into helping each other. Great team work

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Toxic as you have to deal with people with different mental/drug challenges

Great clients and coworkers, terrible leadership

The leadership consist of corporate slime balls who are more interested in expanding and making names for themselves than actually helping people. Services suffer because of corporate, standardized approach. Lots of nepotism and little room for advancement unless you are in the inner-folds of the cult of Shayne. Do not question, put up with degrading working conditions and watch out for the walls have ears!

everyone

i have leaned that every one is still a person no matter of their addiction or mental health issues. i am not a judgmental person and that is what every one enjoys about my nature.

Pros

getting to meet people

Great people not so good leadership

I loved working with the clients, the staff and the job security made possible by a strong union. The new leadership is kind of slimy though and the organization is getting more and more corporate as it expands. Lots of talk and photo ops but limited heart. More of a focus on quantity over quality with the services and little value for creativity and community. If you toe the party line there is room for advancement but you may have to bury your values if you prefer a grassroots approach and prioritize activism and critical thinking.

Pros

great benefits

Cons

quantity over quality service framework

Positive Review

I liked working at the Lookout and enjoyed the free training available. I would have stayed there and continued my climb as my skills and training progressed had I not moved out of BC for family reasons. The management and others I worked with where a great group.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lookout Emergency Aid Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Lookout Emergency Aid Society Reviews by Location