Lookout Emergency Aid Society

Lookout Emergency Aid Society Employee Reviews

You need to have thick skin to work in this environment. On any given day, just like any other place where the client based suffers from mental health and addictions, you don't always know what you are walking into. The management differs from each site, some are super supportive and help the staff, and others avoid have do any work at all. Pay and benefits are good if you have a regularized full time line.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Unstable work environment
I love working at lookout, great team to work with awesome understanding, knowledgeable, caring management. I enjoy working with people and this job isn't a job that I stress about doing I enjoy it as it is rewarding it makes my heart smile to help another human in this world.
Pros
Great pay, rewarding careers
Staff are pretty chill and supportive. Sometimes there will be moments when a situation occurs where you have to be quick and responsive rather than reactive, where your mental and emotional stability is challenged and crisis intervention skills are needed.
Pros
Respected in the community because we offer helpful resources.
Cons
Dealing with degradation and undesirable circumstances.
I worked here for almost 5 years. Many coworkers actively using narcotics during shift. Management plays favorites so if they like you on Monday. Be prepared to be fired Friday.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Its a leadership heavy agency with very little support of the front line workers, their job satisfaction or even the clients alot of the time.More training for all staff and some humility in Leadership.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Leadership
Large organization, always hiring. Culture can really vary site to site. Good place to start if your new in the field. Upper management levels are really disconnected from the reality of their worker. Not a lot of advancement opportunities, except into overworked underpaid Coordinator jobs. BCGEU union.
Pros
Good entry level positions
Cons
Little advancement opportunity
Phenomenal place to work w/ a compassionate visionary as our CEO who genuinely cares about the population we serve and the employees who are engaged in the privilege of serving.
Racist, the manager was judging me and I was from college an employee left me alone on shift, I was a student and got job but was abused verbally and felt scared at Walton hotel
Pros
Good company
Cons
Bad management
The best thing about working at Lookout is the people that we work with and the management really has my back and that’s all that I have to say about thatfolks
Assisting clients to reach goals is personally rewarding. Unionized worksites; job security is good. Some worksites have strong teams; others suffer from dysfunction. Poor job training for new hires. Few continuing education or advanced training opportunities. Advancement often dependent on favoritism--not merit. Poor management training and development. Organization focusing on growth rather than development. Job has many disagreeable factors. Client program development is deficient.
the job can be rewarding but frustrating. depends on the site, some sites are better than others. your position can be taken away just like that! Some Stewarts supports management more than the actual employee they like to try and give you a lower wage than the actual wage, to save money and staff use to have free meals.
Pros
consintly learning, free training
Cons
management need improvments, supporting their staff, Make less compare to other organizations, unfairness, toxic, need to kiss a** just to move up, they dont care who they hire causes higher toxity in the work place
I got to work with a very well balanced team the made it possible to culture a wide variety of skills. I felt like I was able to make a difference and help people.
Lookout is a good company to work for. I'm looking for a dat shift because I've been working graveyard shifts for over a year now. I have almost 3 years experience now working in the very heart of homelessness in Vancouver and Surrey.
Loved the work but at the end of the day, I had to think about my own safety. The best thing I had experienced working with them is that my coworkers were always into helping each other. Great team work
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Toxic as you have to deal with people with different mental/drug challenges
a good place to get your foot in the door. management sucks. management sucks. i wouldnt recommend. not not not. why do i have to write this stupid review. next
As a cook you get to provide healthy, meals to people with addiction and mental health issues. Help steer them in the right direction, lend an ear, talk with them when they are having a rough day
The leadership consist of corporate slime balls who are more interested in expanding and making names for themselves than actually helping people. Services suffer because of corporate, standardized approach. Lots of nepotism and little room for advancement unless you are in the inner-folds of the cult of Shayne. Do not question, put up with degrading working conditions and watch out for the walls have ears!
It was excellent, lots of training included, including travelling for training. I learned how to work a computer. Satisfied. Hardest part of the job was dealing with people. Have many certifications.
Some challenges with colleagues. Old guard failing to accept changing environment.
Good company to work for, staff are helpful to new employers, great pay , they have ample opportunity for advancement also the benefits are good as well
Pros
Money and staff
Cons
Stressful
While working at several locations, I took all the courses I could that the company provided. I applied for other positions, and was never considered.