Lookout Emergency Aid Society

Lookout Emergency Aid Society Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
Loved the work but at the end of the day, I had to think about my own safety. The best thing I had experienced working with them is that my coworkers were always into helping each other. Great team work
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Toxic as you have to deal with people with different mental/drug challenges
Racist, the manager was judging me and I was from college an employee left me alone on shift, I was a student and got job but was abused verbally and felt scared at Walton hotel
Pros
Good company
Cons
Bad management
The best thing about working at Lookout is the people that we work with and the management really has my back and that’s all that I have to say about thatfolks
Assisting clients to reach goals is personally rewarding.
Unionized worksites; job security is good.

Some worksites have strong teams; others suffer from dysfunction.

Poor job training for new hires.

Few continuing education or advanced training opportunities.

Advancement often dependent on favoritism--not merit.

Poor management training and development.

Organization focusing on growth rather than development.

Job has many disagreeable factors.

Client program development is deficient.
the job can be rewarding but frustrating. depends on the site, some sites are better than others. your position can be taken away just like that! Some Stewarts supports management more than the actual employee they like to try and give you a lower wage than the actual wage, to save money and staff use to have free meals.
Pros
consintly learning, free training
Cons
management need improvments, supporting their staff, Make less compare to other organizations, unfairness, toxic, need to kiss a** just to move up, they dont care who they hire causes higher toxity in the work place
I got to work with a very well balanced team the made it possible to culture a wide variety of skills. I felt like I was able to make a difference and help people.
Lookout is a good company to work for. I'm looking for a dat shift because I've been working graveyard shifts for over a year now. I have almost 3 years experience now working in the very heart of homelessness in Vancouver and Surrey.
a good place to get your foot in the door. management sucks. management sucks. i wouldnt recommend. not not not.
why do i have to write this stupid review. next
As a cook you get to provide healthy, meals to people with addiction and mental health issues. Help steer them in the right direction, lend an ear, talk with them when they are having a rough day
The leadership consist of corporate slime balls who are more interested in expanding and making names for themselves than actually helping people. Services suffer because of corporate, standardized approach. Lots of nepotism and little room for advancement unless you are in the inner-folds of the cult of Shayne. Do not question, put up with degrading working conditions and watch out for the walls have ears!
It was excellent, lots of training included, including travelling for training. I learned how to work a computer. Satisfied. Hardest part of the job was dealing with people. Have many certifications.
Some challenges with colleagues. Old guard failing to accept changing environment.
Good company to work for, staff are helpful to new employers, great pay , they have ample opportunity for advancement also the benefits are good as well
Pros
Money and staff
Cons
Stressful
While working at several locations, I took all the courses I could that the company provided. I applied for other positions, and was never considered.
i have leaned that every one is still a person no matter of their addiction or mental health issues. i am not a judgmental person and that is what every one enjoys about my nature.
Pros
getting to meet people
Working here was great at first and would be great for someone who is willing to constantly work 16 hour shifts. Staging is horrible and managers do not support their employees when no one shows up to relieve you, they just expect you to stay late. The only way to get a promotion in this company is to have a friend or family member on the management team. The nepotism going on here is ridiculous.
Pros
Most of the other staff are awesome and the clients can be amazing
Cons
Everything else.
good organization to work for. very rewarding. love being able to help people and see the look on their faces when they get housed! sad to be leaving,
There is no "Typical" day at work, every day is a new experience. Constantly learning and growing as a person- you face many challenges. Management at my site is very dependable and there is a team that looks out for each other. Debriefing with shift partners is what keeps me sane. There is an element of safety amongst the drug use and mentally undiagnosed. The guests and the staff 'lookout' for one another. There is a sense of community and togetherness.
Pros
rewarding seeing improvements and growth in established rapport with clients
Cons
emotionally, mentally taxing
most stressful job ever had and that wasn't because of residents or clientele but it was mostly in-regards to supervisors and managers.
selected people are given the best options and opportunities and disliked people are denied of any rights
Pros
creating jobs for management position. Lots of (ONLY) entry level work for minorities
Cons
only selected people are treated nicely including friends and family of managers.
Great staff and programs to help assist disadvantage individuals getting back on their feet. Provide 3 meals a day and sleeping area if needed. There are programs to assist with addiction and mental health issues.
Great place to work. Can be challenging given the complex needs of the clients. It is what you make it. It helps if you have positive attitude. Lots of room for personal and professional development. Strong mission and values that provide client centred care. I feel extremely greatful to be part of an organization that really cares about the people it serves.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Lack of resources outside of the organization