Lookout Emergency Aid Society

Lookout Emergency Aid Society Employee Reviews

Mental Health and Addictions (Harm Reduction Housing Programs)

You need to have thick skin to work in this environment. On any given day, just like any other place where the client based suffers from mental health and addictions, you don't always know what you are walking into. The management differs from each site, some are super supportive and help the staff, and others avoid have do any work at all. Pay and benefits are good if you have a regularized full time line.

Pros

Amazing benefits

Cons

Unstable work environment

Toxic

Toxic, judgemental not for the people at all not supportive of staff unhealthy staff managers etc staff are bitter nit friendly at all no team work period , everyone looks to what your not doing right

Great place to work when you start out your career you will learn a lot of what not to do!

The management is horrible and you will never feel supported. Constantly understaffed and if you make the smallest error you will be called up to the office for a meeting (bring a shop stew) the team can be great but gets little clicks in different places. Not very welcoming and it seems they are more concerned with what their coworkers are doing rather than help the clients we serve. Lack of empathy from staff for clients extremely inappropriate behaviour! And if you want an advancement it’s who you know not what!

Pros

Good place to learn what not to do

Cons

Management and lack of support from your team

Fun work place

I love working at lookout, great team to work with awesome understanding, knowledgeable, caring management. I enjoy working with people and this job isn't a job that I stress about doing I enjoy it as it is rewarding it makes my heart smile to help another human in this world.

Pros

Great pay, rewarding careers

Staff are fun, the job is both productive and serious.

Staff are pretty chill and supportive. Sometimes there will be moments when a situation occurs where you have to be quick and responsive rather than reactive, where your mental and emotional stability is challenged and crisis intervention skills are needed.

Pros

Respected in the community because we offer helpful resources.

Cons

Dealing with degradation and undesirable circumstances.

Sneaky and treacherous work place

I worked here for almost 5 years. Many coworkers actively using narcotics during shift. Management plays favorites so if they like you on Monday. Be prepared to be fired Friday.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Could be better

Its a leadership heavy agency with very little support of the front line workers, their job satisfaction or even the clients alot of the time.More training for all staff and some humility in Leadership.

Pros

The clients

Cons

Leadership

Good Entry Level Positions

Large organization, always hiring. Culture can really vary site to site. Good place to start if your new in the field. Upper management levels are really disconnected from the reality of their worker. Not a lot of advancement opportunities, except into overworked underpaid Coordinator jobs. BCGEU union.

Pros

Good entry level positions

Cons

Little advancement opportunity

Excellent Organization

Phenomenal place to work w/ a compassionate visionary as our CEO who genuinely cares about the population we serve and the employees who are engaged in the privilege of serving.

Racist

Racist, the manager was judging me and I was from college an employee left me alone on shift, I was a student and got job but was abused verbally and felt scared at Walton hotel

Pros

Good company

Cons

Bad management

Great

The best thing about working at Lookout is the people that we work with and the management really has my back and that’s all that I have to say about thatfolks

Poorly managed organization with a lot of potential

Assisting clients to reach goals is personally rewarding. Unionized worksites; job security is good. Some worksites have strong teams; others suffer from dysfunction. Poor job training for new hires. Few continuing education or advanced training opportunities. Advancement often dependent on favoritism--not merit. Poor management training and development. Organization focusing on growth rather than development. Job has many disagreeable factors. Client program development is deficient.

depend how you look at it

the job can be rewarding but frustrating. depends on the site, some sites are better than others. your position can be taken away just like that! Some Stewarts supports management more than the actual employee they like to try and give you a lower wage than the actual wage, to save money and staff use to have free meals.

Pros

consintly learning, free training

Cons

management need improvments, supporting their staff, Make less compare to other organizations, unfairness, toxic, need to kiss a** just to move up, they dont care who they hire causes higher toxity in the work place

Great team

I got to work with a very well balanced team the made it possible to culture a wide variety of skills. I felt like I was able to make a difference and help people.

Lookout is a good company to work for

Lookout is a good company to work for. I'm looking for a dat shift because I've been working graveyard shifts for over a year now. I have almost 3 years experience now working in the very heart of homelessness in Vancouver and Surrey.

Stressful environment but great people to work with

Loved the work but at the end of the day, I had to think about my own safety. The best thing I had experienced working with them is that my coworkers were always into helping each other. Great team work

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Toxic as you have to deal with people with different mental/drug challenges

i wouldnt recommend it

a good place to get your foot in the door. management sucks. management sucks. i wouldnt recommend. not not not. why do i have to write this stupid review. next

If you like working with people in addiction then this the place to be

As a cook you get to provide healthy, meals to people with addiction and mental health issues. Help steer them in the right direction, lend an ear, talk with them when they are having a rough day

Great clients and coworkers, terrible leadership

The leadership consist of corporate slime balls who are more interested in expanding and making names for themselves than actually helping people. Services suffer because of corporate, standardized approach. Lots of nepotism and little room for advancement unless you are in the inner-folds of the cult of Shayne. Do not question, put up with degrading working conditions and watch out for the walls have ears!

Excellent

It was excellent, lots of training included, including travelling for training. I learned how to work a computer. Satisfied. Hardest part of the job was dealing with people. Have many certifications.

Mostly positive

Some challenges with colleagues. Old guard failing to accept changing environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lookout Emergency Aid Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement