Lookout Emergency Aid Society Employee Reviews

No room for advancement
Building Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 May 2019
While working at several locations, I took all the courses I could that the company provided. I applied for other positions, and was never considered.
Management is the worst
Shelter Resource Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 March 2019
Working here was great at first and would be great for someone who is willing to constantly work 16 hour shifts. Staging is horrible and managers do not support their employees when no one shows up to relieve you, they just expect you to stay late. The only way to get a promotion in this company is to have a friend or family member on the management team. The nepotism going on here is ridiculous.
Pros
Most of the other staff are awesome and the clients can be amazing
Cons
Everything else.
Srw
Shelter Worker (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC7 January 2019
good organization to work for. very rewarding. love being able to help people and see the look on their faces when they get housed! sad to be leaving,
dynamic, interesting environment.
shelter resource worker (Current Employee) –  British Columbia15 September 2018
There is no "Typical" day at work, every day is a new experience. Constantly learning and growing as a person- you face many challenges. Management at my site is very dependable and there is a team that looks out for each other. Debriefing with shift partners is what keeps me sane. There is an element of safety amongst the drug use and mentally undiagnosed. The guests and the staff 'lookout' for one another. There is a sense of community and togetherness.
Pros
rewarding seeing improvements and growth in established rapport with clients
Cons
emotionally, mentally taxing
if you are new comer from Europe or if you are friends or family of managment it will be the best place to work
Building Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC. DTES/ First place5 September 2018
most stressful job ever had and that wasn't because of residents or clientele but it was mostly in-regards to supervisors and managers.
selected people are given the best options and opportunities and disliked people are denied of any rights
Pros
creating jobs for management position. Lots of (ONLY) entry level work for minorities
Cons
only selected people are treated nicely including friends and family of managers.
Lookout society
VOLUNTEER WORKS (Current Employee) –  Downtown Vancouver13 March 2018
Great staff and programs to help assist disadvantage individuals getting back on their feet. Provide 3 meals a day and sleeping area if needed. There are programs to assist with addiction and mental health issues.
Very Rewarding Work
SRW (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 February 2018
Great place to work. Can be challenging given the complex needs of the clients. It is what you make it. It helps if you have positive attitude. Lots of room for personal and professional development. Strong mission and values that provide client centred care. I feel extremely greatful to be part of an organization that really cares about the people it serves.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Lack of resources outside of the organization
lookout
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 November 2017
go in and clean
don't work to fast is what i was told
management is meh
workplace culture is what you make it
the dope users
idk i guess the pay but watch it close....
Pros
the pay
Cons
the pay might go down
bad place to work
shelter worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 November 2017
lookout in Surrey is very toxic. the management has created a culture of employees reporting each other. there is a lot of catty behaviour by the employees trying to maintain there position.
Pros
trying to help
Cons
toxic environment ..dirty disease environment
Lookout
Full-Time Shelter Resource Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 September 2017
Work as an SRW. The work we do is very valuable. But the opportunities for advancement are limited. With experience an education the salary is below the national average at 40, 000. There is no opportunities to gain overtime
Pros
training
Cons
no upward mobility
Very challenging work but, i found it to be very rewarding and humbling experience.
Residential Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 July 2017
Working in a low barrier environment can be fairly stressful at times. When you are talking about mental health and addictions, clients' predictability is not always prevalent. However, being a trusted person in the lives of struggling individuals, I find it both humbling and rewarding helping people reintegrate into society.
Pros
Making a difference in the community, humbling work experience and a structured team setting.
Great people not so good leadership
Housing Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 June 2017
I loved working with the clients, the staff and the job security made possible by a strong union. The new leadership is kind of slimy though and the organization is getting more and more corporate as it expands. Lots of talk and photo ops but limited heart. More of a focus on quantity over quality with the services and little value for creativity and community. If you toe the party line there is room for advancement but you may have to bury your values if you prefer a grassroots approach and prioritize activism and critical thinking.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
quantity over quality service framework
Rules and policies of the organization are inconsistent.
SHELTER RESOURCE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 April 2017
Policies and procedures are inconsistent, and that makes it very confusing for the staff. At some point it feels like the organization is completely in a laisser aller state.
Pros
people can bring their pets at work
Cons
People who are not into animals being at work don't have a choice
Working in the Downtown eastside as a Housing Outreach orker
Housing Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 October 2016
I enjoy my employment as a Housing worker. I love the challenges I get from working with people in need and the rewards that come from it.
Pros
Working with a diverse population of people.
Cons
Dealing with people can be streesful at times.
Positive Review
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 August 2016
I liked working at the Lookout and enjoyed the free training available. I would have stayed there and continued my climb as my skills and training progressed had I not moved out of BC for family reasons. The management and others I worked with where a great group.
Love my job.
Shelter Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2016
I love my job and really enjoy working for Lookout. They have competitive wages and great training for their employees. They are part of the BCGEU union which gives amazing job security and extended health care packages. Highly recommend working for this organization
Pros
Great extended health care packages for employee AND family members
Cons
can be highly stressful for employee due to high needs of clients
Very gratifying helping pleaple
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver12 June 2015
Working for lookout has change my live, I learned to be have more compaction for vulnerable people. Is a great organization that helps people in need .and treat them with respect and dignity.
The hardest part of this job is same time you get to close to people .
I have a lot of enjoyment when they love the food ,They say that the Lookout at north shore is the Hyatt of the shelters in B.C
I have a lot of admiration for my coworker how they care for people and make them fill
Pros
My job give me great satisfaccion.helpping peaple
Cons
no cons
An awesome place to work.
Shelter Resource Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver2 March 2013
Shelter Resource Worker is a position which encompasses a whole host of variable tasks on a day to day basis.