Longo's Employee Reviews

Very fast paced, no proper training in the produce receiving dept.
Produce Receiver (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 June 2018
Former Employee at their Distribution Warehouse
Had good co-workers except for 1 who constantly harassed and bullied me. After 4 weeks of working there, I just walked right out. I didn't bring it up with management as I was new, but my supervisor and co-workers who were aware of it just said not to let it bother me.
Good first minimum wage job
Prepared Foods Clerk/Chef (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Your typical minimum wage job. Great comradery amongst the general staff (with the exception of management).

A few good department managers but most are entitled and self-full.
Although the store managers themselves are quite competent. Promotions often occur because of familial ties or friendships (as Longo's is still a family run business) rather than by merit or ability.

Management has a tendency to blame and shame rather than to deal with and solve issues.

Benefits are only available with part-time or full-time positions but those positions are difficult to obtain and highly competitive. Yearly bonuses are available.

High quality products.
Pros
Good coworkers and workplace culture
Cons
Bad Management, low pay, lack of opportunities for benefits
Decent job for first time employees
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON11 June 2018
Coworkers were a pleasure to work with but management was undesirable. Many managers had an ego problem and didn't appreciate their employees. Overall i enjoyed working there but wouldn't recommend maintaining such a job.
challenging and fun
Inventory Control Coordinator - full time (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 June 2018
New inventory system still in progress and requires physical double checking. Fifty percent of management and supervisory team are newly hired and hungry for approval and recognition.
Pros
bonus
Great for Growing Individuals
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 May 2018
If someone is looking to gain skills they can use going forward in their career or to have a stable job, this is a great place for that. You learn how to multitask, how to be great with customer service and how to handle immense pressure. However, management changes quite often and concerns are not taken seriously if you aren't a member of management. There is also no room for advancement - someone who had worked there for 14 years in the same position was trying to advance and there were no positions to move to, so they had to find a different job. This company gives you amazing benefits, but after the wage increase in January, they are barely competing with similar companies for the same positions.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly staff
Cons
reatil hours, untrustworthy management, no advancement
Okay place to work.
Prepared Foods Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON14 May 2018
Longos is a nice place to work and they are very good with working with students. Allowing them to work and study. although i don't see much growth being available at the company.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
weekend work
Young age and Management
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 May 2018
When I started at Longo's I was only 14 with no prior job experience (besides babysitting) so I wasn't fully motivated to put in a huge effort at such a young age. On top of that the managers were on you so much and being so young they felt they could take advantage of me say the less and I did not feel extremely welcomed.
Team work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
I have learned how to work in a team, how to help customers who need help. Met good people and good management at my current job but trying to have a new experience working in a different place.
Pros
A good team work
Cons
Having less shifts
IT needs a revamp
BI Developer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON1 May 2018
Been working here sine past 4 years. First the pros very kind hearted people. Best minds in Retail and managing the business and brand.

IT is unplanned, no process, In-competent senior management running IT. Relying heavily on external contractors to fix issues when they arise, Instead of proactively implementing proper process, procedures and change management. Lack of technical depth in leadership led to bad decision making in choosing vendors for major implementations causing lot of stress for IT admins and help desk team. Lack of work life balance as constraints of resource, They don't identify lack of resources in IT as management consider IT as unwanted cost and don't feel the company has grown enough to expand, Which is a huge mistake and will eventually bring the business down on it's knees if they go by this philosophy.

Advise of employees on better implementations is neglected by senior management, Who believe a lot in vendors and contractors than the employees who work hard and provide better solutions.

Best employees with better skills don't last long as they know the lack of depth in knowledge in Senior management in IT.
Pros
Secure job, Good place for interns and beginners.
Cons
No work life balance, Not the place for experienced IT professionals
Fun workplace, nice managers
Grocery and Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON29 April 2018
Good place to work as a student to make money. Managers are nice, but it seems hard to move up in the company. Also a lot of the full time workers are uneducated and is not the best atmosphere to be exposed to as a kid.
great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 April 2018
I enjoyed working at longos and got along with all of my co-workers along with customers. My manager at the time was extremely understanding and I respected her a lot.
Wonderful workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON13 April 2018
Truly feels like a second family. Wonderful people to work with and inspiring managers.The Longos family works as a team, and their staff embodies that as well.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Working with the public can be frustrating
Great place to work, would highly reccomend to students, as well as people who want a career in the industry
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
A great place to work with easy-going environment. Easy to advance, and many opportunities to learn more! Great benefits, and fair pay. They are very open to hiring students, and accommodating to student schedules.
Nepotism
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 March 2018
Unfortunately, due to Longo's being family owned and run there is a sickening amount of nepotism and favouritism that occurs, have witnessed many people lose their jobs after being in the role 5-1o years in order to benefit the families younger generations advancements.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
nepotism, long hours, awful politics
PFP Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2018
Manager tried to get kitchen employees to do things that weren't entailed in the job description. Management was unfair, gave preferred employees more hours/special treatment.
Cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Box Grove, ON14 February 2018
1) Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits. 2) Issue receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers. 3) Count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.Operating the cash register and handling cash transactions with customers
Scanning goods and collect payments
Issuing receipts, refunds, change or ticket
Pros
Cons
short breaks
Productive and Non-typically Retail environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 February 2018
A typical day at Longo's would be a very Productive and Inspiring. Working among the team members gives you a lot of teamwork skills and also a help to develop some leadership skills. The management is very well regulated and the company has several programs to enhance their employees potential.
Productive, fun working.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 February 2018
Being very busy entertaining costumers during holidays. I learned how to be flexible and be more responsible with things that are being ordered for me to do.
Pros
Good Benefits, Long hours
I learned a lot
Assistant de (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON7 February 2018
The job is great i just want to grow and learn more outside of my comfort zone, ive been working here for a few years and i really grew and the company helped a lot
Pros
You get a fair chance to grow within the company
Cons
Sche
Most professional supermarket to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON6 February 2018
During my time at Longos I learned customer service skills, met many interesting people, and worked under the most professional managers (however a political environment).
Pros
Good flexibility with hours
Cons
some schedule complications

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Longo's. Our community is ready to answer.