Longo's Employee Reviews

stressful, unpleasant workplace
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rutherford and Clarence29 October 2018
during my years of service at longos brother food market. i would not recommend applying or pursuing a job with the company. the great part about it is friendly staff and everyone generally gets along with everyone else, the down side about it is they rely on there part timers to much and most of the full timers fail to do there jobs during the day and leave it pushed onto the part timers at night which made closing unpleasant along with the stress of the large amounts of customers and under staffing at night.would highly suggest a solid consideration for part time workers as the tasks do pile up on you at night if you are closing, as for full time work the benefits are amazing full dental and a lot of other extra perks.
Pros
full time benefits, occasional free lunch
Cons
low staff, hours constantly cut, and poor management
Good first minimum wage job
Prepared Foods Clerk/Chef (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Your typical minimum wage job. Great comradery amongst the general staff (with the exception of management).

A few good department managers but most are entitled and self-full.
Although the store managers themselves are quite competent. Promotions often occur because of familial ties or friendships (as Longo's is still a family run business) rather than by merit or ability.

Management has a tendency to blame and shame rather than to deal with and solve issues.

Benefits are only available with part-time or full-time positions but those positions are difficult to obtain and highly competitive. Yearly bonuses are available.

High quality products.
Pros
Good coworkers and workplace culture
Cons
Bad Management, low pay, lack of opportunities for benefits
Great for Growing Individuals
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 May 2018
If someone is looking to gain skills they can use going forward in their career or to have a stable job, this is a great place for that. You learn how to multitask, how to be great with customer service and how to handle immense pressure. However, management changes quite often and concerns are not taken seriously if you aren't a member of management. There is also no room for advancement - someone who had worked there for 14 years in the same position was trying to advance and there were no positions to move to, so they had to find a different job. This company gives you amazing benefits, but after the wage increase in January, they are barely competing with similar companies for the same positions.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly staff
Cons
reatil hours, untrustworthy management, no advancement
Interesting
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2018
I find that a lot of what people have said on here is true. Management in most Longos' is very similar in terms of them being preferential and hierarchal(as in they definitely pick favourties). It is very clear that management is on a power trip. The hours can be a little bit brutal some weeks and standing for long periods of time is killer. My co-workers are awesome, friendly and helpful. All of them are willing to help whenever I have a question or I need assistance with something. Overall a good company to work for.(just depends on location, I guess) I learned a lot about customer service and how to properly and efficiently help many customers in a short time span. I also learned a lot more about multi-tasking and how to better do so, which always beneficial. Longos does withhold their motto of treating you (you as in the employee and you the customer) like family. The best part of working at Longos obviously the Starbucks discount! Also my co-workers.
Pros
excellent co workers/benefits
Cons
bad management/ hours are too much or not enough
recommended company
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON20 September 2018
I've been working in this company for six years and i have a good experience,in every aspects regarding benefits, management support. And working with this company also achieving to have a self growth in a customer service
Love this company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 January 2018
It was a great honour to have taken party in the longos family body i was given a great opportunity with lots of room for growth. Employee retain-ice well and you are well compensated for your experience. The hardest part of my work day was actually getting to work to be honest with a great team and a very clean and well keep work place complimented by a amazing management team goes to say my time at longos was great. My favour part was the joy of just coming and going through my day just relax and chilled with inside secret that i can not mention you just have to be apart of it to know. With the end great company great brand and anyone seeking employment you are in for a great treat so enjoy .
Pros
compensation, salary, benefits and management
Cons
Cold, lack of knowlecdge in some aspects of employee guidance
Good place to be but overarching issues make it hard to be great
IT Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON9 January 2018
Started as an intern, worked my way to a contract position where I provide more than adequate assistance to the company, oftentimes containing incidents and issues that arose before escalating the issues to management.

My hours were good, consisting of 7:30 to 4 PM, often times I wouldn't take a lunch as there was work to finish and not enough bodies to help.

Great culture, easily one of the best places you can work in, but the workload and oftentimes lack of help negated the benefits of such a wonderful environment, of course, each department is different.

Management doesn't seem to listen to what is best for the team and would leave us going long periods of time or of any team meetings to regroup and process the needs of the company as a team unit.
Pros
Good environment, good people, great food
Cons
Lack of management and lack of able-bodied employees
Nepotism
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 March 2018
Unfortunately, due to Longo's being family owned and run there is a sickening amount of nepotism and favouritism that occurs, have witnessed many people lose their jobs after being in the role 5-1o years in order to benefit the families younger generations advancements.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
nepotism, long hours, awful politics
fun place to work with approachable management.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON2 November 2018
Management is awesome. I had fun playing around my fruit displays and was surprised to see the my work on one of the flyers. The management knows and rewards the hard working employees. On my second month of work I was offered to be a team leader accepted the offer was trained but was not given the full time job until I quit and accepted other job offer. Learned from my neighbor in my previous address that my full time papers was on my mailbox.
Pros
Free (fruits) snacks :) friendly environment. Awesome management
Cons
we've worked past the closing hours as we are undermanned most of the times
Good company but Business Processes need to Improve
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 July 2018
This is a good family run company to start your career in the retail sector in Canada.Good top management and generally competent staff. However, a number of business processes are outdated and need to be improved. IT department is particularly weak.
Pros
Good culture, positive work environment
Cons
Nothing much

Want to know more about Longo's?

Ask a question
Great place to work, would highly reccomend to students, as well as people who want a career in the industry
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
A great place to work with easy-going environment. Easy to advance, and many opportunities to learn more! Great benefits, and fair pay. They are very open to hiring students, and accommodating to student schedules.
Fun place to work with flexible hours
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 August 2018
Management always lets you pick what hours you want and most of the time you are granted. The staff is always fun to be with and everyone is caring and helpful. Management at times can be sometimes lost but mostly holds up. Hardest part is dealing with difficult customers on late nights and early mornings. Most enjoyable is having a supportive and fun group around you while yyou work
Productive, fun working.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 February 2018
Being very busy entertaining costumers during holidays. I learned how to be flexible and be more responsible with things that are being ordered for me to do.
Pros
Good Benefits, Long hours
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 January 2019
In a typical day, I would stock the shelves and then face the store along with aiding customers to find their desired products. I learned how to work with many people and this job had a great culture. The hardest part was remembering where all the products go. I really enjoyed working with the other people in my department.
challenging and fun
Inventory Control Coordinator - full time (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 June 2018
New inventory system still in progress and requires physical double checking. Fifty percent of management and supervisory team are newly hired and hungry for approval and recognition.
Pros
bonus
IT needs a revamp
BI Developer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON1 May 2018
Been working here sine past 4 years. First the pros very kind hearted people. Best minds in Retail and managing the business and brand.

IT is unplanned, no process, In-competent senior management running IT. Relying heavily on external contractors to fix issues when they arise, Instead of proactively implementing proper process, procedures and change management. Lack of technical depth in leadership led to bad decision making in choosing vendors for major implementations causing lot of stress for IT admins and help desk team. Lack of work life balance as constraints of resource, They don't identify lack of resources in IT as management consider IT as unwanted cost and don't feel the company has grown enough to expand, Which is a huge mistake and will eventually bring the business down on it's knees if they go by this philosophy.

Advise of employees on better implementations is neglected by senior management, Who believe a lot in vendors and contractors than the employees who work hard and provide better solutions.

Best employees with better skills don't last long as they know the lack of depth in knowledge in Senior management in IT.
Pros
Secure job, Good place for interns and beginners.
Cons
No work life balance, Not the place for experienced IT professionals
Friendly and nice environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON17 December 2018
Everyone is really nice and friendly, and by this I mean the customers and the workers are nice, everything is clean, and its never too busy because they have all cashiers working
Pros
not alot of hours
Cons
not alot of hours
longos
Kitchen and Pizza Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2018
good place to work. great people, perfect for part time when i was in school. management could be a little bit better and customer service is number 1
Pros
people
Cons
customers
An amazing work space for a first job
Front line customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 October 2018
Longos was and is a great company to work for, as long as it's your first job. If you want to work in a great environment that will teach you the basics with how a business is run and how to handle and deal with the public this job is for you.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Rude customers
Good people to work with and for.
File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 June 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company for the last 7 years but I feel that it is time to move on as advancement seems biased on how much someone is liked and not how much/well they worked.
Pros
Coupons and samples.
Cons
Must work weekends regardless of family commitments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Longo's. Our community is ready to answer.