Long & McQuade

Long & McQuade Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

I had to be very attention to detail for this job. I was the receptionist but also had to do scheduling and handling monetary transactions. During recital times I also had to help provide refreshments.
Long & McQuade is specialized sales at a retail salary. They give wildly different pay grades to employees that are doing the same amount of work, and will only increase your wage based on the average CPI of the province you are living in, even if you excel at your job. For example if you bust your butt for a year and become a "Top Performer" you will receive CPI plus 1%. If you are just an average employee you will only get CPI. So if you are driven and motivated you will get basically the same wage increase as someone who stands at the front counter all day. They also say that the staff is non-commision, but the first thing they talk about in the yearly wage review is your sales. If you're sales are low they will put pressure on you to increase your sales and write you up for having low sales, or decreasing sales. For example: If you take on extra responsibilities and your sales dip because of that you will not only be reprimanded for the dip in sales, you will also not get an increase in wage for working harder. They also DO NOT pay overtime. The expectation is that you will stay after hours to help customers, but they will not compensate you for it. In the level one training manual they say that you are not allowed to leave the store until all they customers have left, but they will not pay you for the extra time you work. (I have changed my years worked and location as I know if this is read by my employers I will be fired. They do not like to be criticized in public, and wish to keep their misdeeds in the dark. You can find examples of the owners of the - more...
The people, manager, and work environment is amazing. The manager actually cares about the employees and knows how to take care of them. There are very good full time benefits and I am surround with people who share my passion for music. I love my job here and I am sad to leave.
Very secure job once you're in, management is generally really good. Although it has a lot of locations still very much a family business. Still my favourite music store even though I worked there.
Can I get a fakking chair????? i mean gawd... Im standing all day like- please let me sit! also, i wish i could wear some nice jeans, i like jeans.. maybe sandals would be cool - but anyways more about the chair situation.... I mean really... even one of those tall bar stools... i could kind of "lean" against.