Long & McQuade Employee Reviews

Fantastic place to work
Substitute Drum Teacher (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK2 October 2018
Can't say enough good things about here. Everyone always has a smile on their face, is very welcoming, and very helpful and friendly, Overall wonderful place to work
High turnover rates = bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 September 2018
Not all long and mcquade locations are bad, just this one. Management expects a lot out of their employees for minimum wage and fails to address the real issues at work and it comes off as just plain lazy. They are also very blunt and get away saying things that no other employment place would. They also like using fear as a tactic, threatening to fire people and keeping everyone on edge.
The turnover rate here is very high and they fail to fill the holes in a timely matter. Otherwise the company itself is a great company to work for as they take care of the employees.
Pros
Free lunches once in awhile, training at head office
Cons
Expect more than you can probably handle, management
Great Place For a Co-op
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 August 2018
Long & McQuade Is an absolutely fantastic place for a co-op placement. The staff are all very welcoming and always super friendly to co-op students. The store environment is also a very good place to learn.
Pros
Great Experience
Loved working here
Musical Instrument Repair Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 July 2018
The people, manager, and work environment is amazing. The manager actually cares about the employees and knows how to take care of them. There are very good full time benefits and I am surround with people who share my passion for music. I love my job here and I am sad to leave.
Fun workplace
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 June 2018
Teachers are sub-contractors for Long n Mcquade so they don't necessarily work "for" them. You make your own hours and rent studio space, teach from your own knowledge base and self-made curriculum. The environment is nice, and the staff are friendly.
Low pay but good benefits for retail and great company to work for
Bass Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 May 2018
Very secure job once you're in, management is generally really good. Although it has a lot of locations still very much a family business. Still my favourite music store even though I worked there.
Excellent Work Environment, lots to learn
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 March 2018
Working at Long and McQuade was a great experience in terms of it was a great place to work. I was able to learn a lot about the place that I worked and the products that I was selling. A typical work day consisted of getting to work before opening to clean up and get the story ready for the day. Those tasks included making sure product was readily available to customers, and putting new stock away.
Very successful company, job security, not a great salary/benefits.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 February 2018
This company has many customers and high end contracts so they are very stable and there will be work for a very long time. Still family owned and they like to state that they give a family atmosphere which they do.
The only real negative I have to say is that the salary is very poor at all positions. You will receive a lesser salary then that at any other company with a higher job title so you have to work here mostly for the love of music.
Many times of year you will be forced to work extra hard such as the whole month of December including boxing day. There is no Christmas bonus, and they do not spoil your children at the yearly staff party.
Pros
Very stable job, good atmosphere.
Cons
Poor hours, low salaries and benefits
Long & McQuade
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2018
I enjoyed working here for the most part. I like how I learned how wireless microphones work and how to properly wrap cables. What I did not like, however, was the fact that I was not paid for all the work I did, and that I was required to stand for long periods of work without sitting on the job. Still, I found it to be a nurturing experience, and will probably remember it for a very long time.
Pros
friendly staff good experience
Cons
long standing hours no pay
Great workplace
Floor Sales Rep/Guitar-PA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 January 2018
Just dont work in Scarborough. Otherwise great workplace. Bosses are great. Customers can be annoying. Takes a long time to advance, good security. lower pay but very flexible.
Productive workplace and learning area
Cooperative Education Student (Current Employee) –  North York, ON19 November 2017
I am a cooperative education student at Long & McQuade and I have learned many key aspects of the career world. My supervisor gives me specific instructions that help me to learn more about the store and the business.
you will have to be independent
Violin Instructor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC17 November 2017
It's a a good size building with some management involved. The pay is good but there is no culture in the work place. Good students and parents but not much beyond that.
Great workplace and fun to be around
Piano Instructor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 August 2017
I had an amazing experience teaching my students and working with the other teachers and employees. The environment was great and I was able to set up my schedule around my university and high school schedules. I would recommend working here to anyone, especially anyone who would like to teach music.
Great Work Space
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 May 2017
Worked here during the summer & loved it. Worked alone or with one other guy, no manager looming over. Let to our own devices. Surrounded my musicians. Liking the space made working there fun & enjoyable!
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Limited job advancement
A good learning experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB5 April 2017
A typical day at work would be spending the morning breaking down the boxes in the backroom sorting area, then tossing them into the dumpster Polishing merchandise and vacuuming the storefront in the afternoon, Management was good and the workplace culture was friendly and supportive, the hardest Part of the job was tossing the boxes out in -20 weather. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of the instruments. I learned the importance of doing right by others and working cooperatively.
Pros
Testing the Merchandise
Cons
Working in cold weather
fun workplace if you love music
Labourer (co-op) (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 January 2017
Great people great customers, id love to work at this place again.
i got to work on some guitars, learn how to properly wrap cables. take invintory, it was fun and i learnt a little bit of tips about the thing i love... music
A fun place to work with knowledgeable staff
Sales Associate - Drum and Guitar Dept. (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 November 2016
I enjoyed working the Long & McQuade, but management wasn't upfront with their expectations, and the hours they were looking to fill. After being flown out to Toronto for an all expenses paid sales course, only after that did they tell me what my schedule would be. Unfortunately, it clashed with my needs, so after a short time, I had to leave.
Teachers did all of the office work
PIANO TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 November 2016
I only stayed for the students and parents, but not the management. There's too much management politics, passive-aggressive people, hiring mainly relatives (which is illegal), and a terrible work-life balance. Basically, the teachers had to do the office's job, and that was stupid (attendance, collection, scheduling, re-scheduling, attending to complaints, etc). We also had to buy our own incentives for kids (stickers, treats). The deduction to my pay cheque went to "administration" and "studio rent." Also had to call all of my own students to cancel lessons if I was too sick to work; which is contradictory, because if I'm too sick to work, I'm too sick to make 30 calls.
Pros
20% learning matierals
Incompetent Lesson Centre Coordinator
Music Educator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 August 2016
didn't fill the time slots as they became available, no communication, no people skills, left the scheduling for the teachers, conflicts in scheduling because of lack of data entry. had no idea how to run a recital, she did not provide the equipment on the list, didn't hand out certificates, did not have the performers in the schedule according to instrument therefore time delays the list goes on. June 2016
Pros
discount on Books
Cons
Incompetent Lesson coordinator, no communication, scheduling problems
Brampton Supportive lesson Centre Coordinator
Contract-self employed Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 August 2016
The lesson Coordinator here at this store was fantastic when I worked there from 2004-2011. He was organized , under stood people, created an enjoyable atmosphere to work in, organized teacher socials once a month where everything was freely discussed. Placed students with the teachers who most suited the student.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great people
Cons
working Friday nights conflicts with playing live engagements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Long & McQuade. Our community is ready to answer.