Long & McQuade

Long & McQuade Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
Friendly work place requiring attention to detail
I had to be very attention to detail for this job. I was the receptionist but also had to do scheduling and handling monetary transactions. During recital times I also had to help provide refreshments.
Great Work Culture
Very team based, with fun people and great benefits. They are always flexible and willing to work around other musical work. They also offer discounts for all staff.
it a fun to work at Long and Mc Quade , feel excited to come to work everyday
it is a very friendly environment to work with,
they treat every customer with high value

everyone take an ownership for what they do

managements are very friendly and suportive
Pay isn’t enough to live. Don’t apply unless you live with your parents.
I urge anyone considering to apply at Long & McQuade to read this. It is a decent company, but please don’t make the same mistake I did. I thought Long &McQuade was going to to be the place I worked until retirement. They lure you in with a good raise after the first year and lead you to think that the pay is going to be awesome. And then, surprise, you only get a very tiny cost of living raise that hardly amounts to anything. If your wanting to have kids and provide for them then forget about working here unless you have a rich spouse. If you’re single, RUN. You will not be able to build a decent life for yourself. Long & McQuade doesn’t pay enough for someone to live on their own and they know it. You can only afford to live on an L&M salary if you live with your parents or if you have someone else that can fend for you financially. Don’t ever work here and get the lofty dream of providing a home for yourself or your spirits will be squashed. To get a mortgage approval, you need to spend 32% or less of your income on housing expenses. You can’t even get a shack for 32% of Long & McQuade income. They hire people who are young and who won’t question the pay right away. There is a major gap in pay between employees who put in the same hours and effort each week which is disheartening. Lessons positions seem to get paid less which makes me wonder if the company does not care about music lessons. I think Jack Long would be sad to know that employees that don’t marry rich aren’t even able to put a roof over their head even though they are trying their best. This is not right and - more...
Fun Work Environment
If you love music, you'll get a long well with everyone that works here. As a teacher, you'll have plenty of control and freedom in regards to how you teach each individual student.
Long & McQuade is built on underpaying its employees. It's a specialized retail business and requires a fair bit of knowledge of musical instruments
I would not return to work for L&M even if they doubles my salary, it's a cheap stingy company that's built on underpaying staff and gouging customers. I give them 2 out of 10
Fantastic
Great place to work with room to advance. Training is given to everyone that is hired. The people you work with are diverse and it’s a fast paced environment
Great co-workers but inadequate pay
Co-workers are great, but the pay is not adequate to live on. High expectations and treated like minions. Short lunch break. No Benefits. Sneaky managers.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Long & McQuade?
Standard Sales Job with no opportunities.
Long & McQuade is specialized sales at a retail salary. They give wildly different pay grades to employees that are doing the same amount of work, and will only increase your wage based on the average CPI of the province you are living in, even if you excel at your job. For example if you bust your butt for a year and become a "Top Performer" you will receive CPI plus 1%. If you are just an average employee you will only get CPI. So if you are driven and motivated you will get basically the same wage increase as someone who stands at the front counter all day.

They also say that the staff is non-commision, but the first thing they talk about in the yearly wage review is your sales. If you're sales are low they will put pressure on you to increase your sales and write you up for having low sales, or decreasing sales. For example: If you take on extra responsibilities and your sales dip because of that you will not only be reprimanded for the dip in sales, you will also not get an increase in wage for working harder.

They also DO NOT pay overtime. The expectation is that you will stay after hours to help customers, but they will not compensate you for it. In the level one training manual they say that you are not allowed to leave the store until all they customers have left, but they will not pay you for the extra time you work.

(I have changed my years worked and location as I know if this is read by my employers I will be fired. They do not like to be criticized in public, and wish to keep their misdeeds in the dark. You can find examples of the owners of the
 - more...
Simple and Clean
Great staff, great bosses, overall great customers, pretty basic. Although, there are periods of time when no one would show up. I would clean up the store a bit. It did get a bit tiring, but that's probably just me. I really loved having small talk around and sharing opinions and stories about concerts and overall music. I liked that. :)
Best possible day job for a musician
The Markham location in particular has the best management, staff, and overall work environment I have ever experienced. Zero complaints. I only left this job because I had to move 4 hours away for family reasons.
music store
the people I worked with had amazing personalities but since I was a girl the supervisor at the time treated me differently then my partner who was a boy. I did not learn a lot about the company or the store. As a coop student, majority of the time they made me mop, sweep, dust, etc. bad experience.
Good people
A typical day includes answering emails delivering orders, and answering phone calls. The co-workers are great, but the clients can be a little "needy" at times. It pays better then a regular retail job and has minimal benefits.
Pros
Monthly sales target goals with a bonus
Cons
long Hours
Cool place to work, tough to make a career out of.
It's pretty classic retail sales, people you work with are usually cool. Good perks for gigging musicians, rough paycheck for hobbyist trying to just pay the bills with a day job. Anybody who's cracked the upper echelon seems to guard their spot with their life. It's tough to move up in this company.
Great employees with similar interests.
I enjoyed working with the company for the most part. Most days were handling stock, customer service, and other stock related things. I happened to be moved departments early on (from guitar to drums). Not knowing anything about the department was tough but there is an opportunity to learn the basics. My largest complaint is that the extensive knowledge one needs to be exceptional at this job does not come with the right amount of pay. Perfect for a starter job, or for someone who works in the music industry but needs a steady income. There isn't many opportunities to rise in position as many of the senior staff are pretty locked in. Unless more stores/positions become available that's just the way it is.
Pros
Workplace environment is fairly relaxed, many opportunities to learn new skills
Cons
Customer service is always hard for people new to the field, it can be a steep learning curve
Positive work environment, fun job
Dealing with customers is the best part of this job. Learning about products and passing information on to customers. Management is good - people seem to forget that this is a retail job. As far as retail jobs go, this is a fantastic one.
Great job for music lovers.
Pay is not great but it is retail.

Lots of responsibility if you want it.

Good customer relationships. Good policies towards customer.

Becoming too corporate.
Pros
great people, not too stressful.
Cons
open 7 days, low pay.
Fantastic place to work
Can't say enough good things about here. Everyone always has a smile on their face, is very welcoming, and very helpful and friendly, Overall wonderful place to work
Management needs imporovement
Generally, a good place to work for a short period of time. Management is unorganized and power trips. Staff are nice. Schedules are pretty flexible most of the time.
High turnover rates = bad management
Not all long and mcquade locations are bad, just this one. Management expects a lot out of their employees for minimum wage and fails to address the real issues at work and it comes off as just plain lazy. They are also very blunt and get away saying things that no other employment place would. They also like using fear as a tactic, threatening to fire people and keeping everyone on edge.
The turnover rate here is very high and they fail to fill the holes in a timely matter. Otherwise the company itself is a great company to work for as they take care of the employees.
Pros
Free lunches once in awhile, training at head office
Cons
Expect more than you can probably handle, management
Great Place For a Co-op
Long & McQuade Is an absolutely fantastic place for a co-op placement. The staff are all very welcoming and always super friendly to co-op students. The store environment is also a very good place to learn.
Pros
Great Experience