Long & McQuade logo
Long & McQuade

Long & McQuade Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Good for getting your foot in the door in the music community, not a good long term fit for employees

Working at Long & McQuade has a tendency to wear on your soul, they don’t care about the product, just that it moves. Product was not well kept and the company was very behind on the trends. There’s little support for employees, policies were unclear.

Pros

Excellent discount policy

Cons

Poor wages, asking too much of their employees

Great place to teach

I very much enjoy working at L&M.The environment is friendly and management has been great with flexibility when I was attending University. I found teaching at L&M was a great way to earn a living but also enjoy music and spread my piano knowledge to others.

So much potential, snuffed out by soulless Corporate overlords & culture

Eventually this place felt like the movie Office Space.You'd bust your hump with little reward, and get scolded if department numbers were lower 'even though numbers don't matter.. but why were your sales down this month' mentality. With no commission, I wouldn't be shmoozily swarming every customer who'd come through the door because anyone available could help them (Nor would I want to be that sleezy).Instead, I'd naturally build relationships for a long term customer retention (which was evident over the decade I was there). Even still, it was the kinda of place where you'd stay 30 minutes late every night when busy... and get in trouble if you were accidentally late by 3 minutes in the morning because of bad traffic.There was zero incentive to progress there. The pay was (and is still) bad. Especially for Toronto Living. The knowledge expectations are high. Yet, It was frowned upon working outside store hours to gain the very experience they wanted their sales staff to know. And if you had that experience and spent more than 10 minutes talking with a customer, you were scolded and expected to sell them anything and push them out the door quickly ... which I always fought management with. Initially it wasn't like this, but there was a shift in their corporate culture in the early 2000's that snuffed out every spark that place had.The only great thing about L&M were the people you were working with on the sales floor and some of the oddball customers that made it bearable.

Pros

Fellow Sales Staff

Cons

Terrible Pay, Overtaken by soulless Corporate Culture

Great people, weak pay

If you want an opportunity to work with the coolest people that you actually want to have a beer with after work, this is the place. Everyone from the lowest employee to the highest management is a musician, so everyone kind of "gets it". When you get the job, they fly you out to Pickering headquarters to get trained and meet the founder. They have a great ethical approach to sales, no one is on commission, and you are told NOT to try and upsell people (only get the customer what they need). You get to try all the new equipment first, you get to help out other musicians who come to the store....but you won't ever get paid very much. Even if you are expected to be a labourer, salesman, sound technician, musician, and teacher all at once. Even if you are the top salesperson for the entire year, they will give you the tiniest raise. And the only way to advance the ranks is to just deal with it and hang around until people leave. So most of the management team is just whoever stuck around the longest.Overall, great place to work as a starter job if you're a musician. Make the connections, make the friends, and move on when an opportunity arises.

Pros

Great discounts on gear

Cons

Terrible pay for work expected

Great company culture but low pay

I liked my time at L & M - great company and management - but the pay is painfully low and from what you are expected to do based on pay - it's not enough to live on. I'll be blunt - if you live at home with your parents, by all means apply - but if you are on your own, the pay does not meet basic needs of cost of living unfortunately. What is also interesting - they call it a tension free non-commissioned environment - however; at your review the first thing they go over is your numbers - and if you are not performing in that capacity, you will not stick around long. I saw a lot of people get let go because they were not selling enough. They don't like specialists either - I was a guitar player but they wanted you to sell everything - I don't play keyboards or drums so how am I supposed to recommend the proper instrument? That was really annoying too - another reason why I quit.

Pros

great musical environment to work

Cons

low pay for work expected

Boring

The challeng is so, one has to stand and wait for a salary that cannot meet the daily needs. It might suit better for a leap year before university but not for a family man.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Low salary and work environment

Fun place to work but retail money isn't the best

I enjoyed working here and remember my time fondly, but you end up having to move because the money isn't the best. There are possibilities for advancement but if you want a major increase you will have to find something else unless you want to be a store manager.

Pros

Music, paid lunches, coworkers.

Cons

Retail pay

Great workplace with an ever-growing family of co-workers

Long and McQuade finds balance in maintaining customer care as well as employee care. The management is one of the best for music accessory and lessons stores as well as the workplace culture. The hardest part of the job is the most enjoyable part as well: meeting new individuals everyday and trying to help them to the fullest extent.

Pros

Discount on scores and musical instruments

Cons

Overwhelming number of customers that need assistance at one time

Fun Stepping Stone Job

My time at L&M was pretty great in comparison to most other retail jobs. You don't have to listen to a lame music playlist everyday, work/life balance is great, and you're not forced to sell a required amount of product. All you need to do is provide excellent customer service (which everyone did), and carry out your job duties to the best of your abilities. The staff are terrific, and the management is good. Salary is painfully low, I was making just a little over $33,000 as a supervisor. It takes years to move up in the company, and when you do, they don't give you raises until you've proven capable in your new role. Salaries can not be negotiated, even if you are moving in to a management position. You have to take what they give you, and it's not much. Retail is retail, and Long & McQuade is no different. If you expect a high paying career, you need to put in minimum 5 years before you see any return on your time investment with the company, and even then, your salary won't justify it unless you become a store Manager, which takes even longer. You're better of getting an education in that period of time in literally anything, and getting a job somewhere else. Long & McQuade is a great place to work, not a great place to make a living.

Great Work Culture

Very team based, with fun people and great benefits. They are always flexible and willing to work around other musical work. They also offer discounts for all staff.

Jobs at Long & McQuade

See more jobs

it a fun to work at Long and Mc Quade , feel excited to come to work everyday

it is a very friendly environment to work with, they treat every customer with high value everyone take an ownership for what they do managements are very friendly and suportive

Pay isn’t enough to live. Don’t apply unless you live with your parents.

I urge anyone considering to apply at Long & McQuade to read this. It is a decent company, but please don’t make the same mistake I did. I thought Long &McQuade was going to to be the place I worked until retirement. They lure you in with a good raise after the first year and lead you to think that the pay is going to be awesome. And then, surprise, you only get a very tiny cost of living raise that hardly amounts to anything. If your wanting to have kids and provide for them then forget about working here unless you have a rich spouse. If you’re single, RUN. You will not be able to build a decent life for yourself. Long & McQuade doesn’t pay enough for someone to live on their own and they know it. You can only afford to live on an L&M salary if you live with your parents or if you have someone else that can fend for you financially. Don’t ever work here and get the lofty dream of providing a home for yourself or your spirits will be squashed. To get a mortgage approval, you need to spend 32% or less of your income on housing expenses. You can’t even get a shack for 32% of Long & McQuade income. They hire people who are young and who won’t question the pay right away. There is a major gap in pay between employees who put in the same hours and effort each week which is disheartening. Lessons positions seem to get paid less which makes me wonder if the company does not care about music lessons. I think Jack Long would be sad to know that employees that don’t marry rich aren’t even able to put a roof over their head even though they are trying their best. This is not right and -

Fun Work Environment

If you love music, you'll get a long well with everyone that works here. As a teacher, you'll have plenty of control and freedom in regards to how you teach each individual student.

Long & McQuade is built on underpaying its employees. It's a specialized retail business and requires a fair bit of knowledge of musical instruments

I would not return to work for L&M even if they doubles my salary, it's a cheap stingy company that's built on underpaying staff and gouging customers. I give them 2 out of 10

Friendly work place requiring attention to detail

I had to be very attention to detail for this job. I was the receptionist but also had to do scheduling and handling monetary transactions. During recital times I also had to help provide refreshments.

Fantastic

Great place to work with room to advance. Training is given to everyone that is hired. The people you work with are diverse and it’s a fast paced environment

Great co-workers but inadequate pay

Co-workers are great, but the pay is not adequate to live on. High expectations and treated like minions. Short lunch break. No Benefits. Sneaky managers.

Standard Sales Job with no opportunities.

Long & McQuade is specialized sales at a retail salary. They give wildly different pay grades to employees that are doing the same amount of work, and will only increase your wage based on the average CPI of the province you are living in, even if you excel at your job. For example if you bust your butt for a year and become a "Top Performer" you will receive CPI plus 1%. If you are just an average employee you will only get CPI. So if you are driven and motivated you will get basically the same wage increase as someone who stands at the front counter all day. They also say that the staff is non-commision, but the first thing they talk about in the yearly wage review is your sales. If you're sales are low they will put pressure on you to increase your sales and write you up for having low sales, or decreasing sales. For example: If you take on extra responsibilities and your sales dip because of that you will not only be reprimanded for the dip in sales, you will also not get an increase in wage for working harder. They also DO NOT pay overtime. The expectation is that you will stay after hours to help customers, but they will not compensate you for it. In the level one training manual they say that you are not allowed to leave the store until all they customers have left, but they will not pay you for the extra time you work. (I have changed my years worked and location as I know if this is read by my employers I will be fired. They do not like to be criticized in public, and wish to keep their misdeeds in the dark. You can find examples of the owners of the -

Simple and Clean

Great staff, great bosses, overall great customers, pretty basic. Although, there are periods of time when no one would show up. I would clean up the store a bit. It did get a bit tiring, but that's probably just me. I really loved having small talk around and sharing opinions and stories about concerts and overall music. I liked that. :)

Best possible day job for a musician

The Markham location in particular has the best management, staff, and overall work environment I have ever experienced. Zero complaints. I only left this job because I had to move 4 hours away for family reasons.

music store

the people I worked with had amazing personalities but since I was a girl the supervisor at the time treated me differently then my partner who was a boy. I did not learn a lot about the company or the store. As a coop student, majority of the time they made me mop, sweep, dust, etc. bad experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Long & McQuade. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement