Lone Star Texas Grill Employee Reviews

Stressful but welcoming
Server (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 January 2019
Very stressful environment but if you are able to converse and enjoy the time you spend there then you'll mesh with people pretty well! Overall not the best but alright.
Extremely happy and upbeat work environment!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 December 2018
Every day at work there were new people and experiences. I enjoyed working here because of all of the tex-mex culture. I learned how to work effecientlyand I liked coming to work every day!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short shifts
Super fun place to work
Wrangler/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 October 2018
Great place to work, great hours, super accommodating with our schedules and the food is to die for. You're always having fun while you're working. Loved it.
Horrible management at Barrie location
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 October 2018
Worked there for a while and management was switched over. Horrible place to work. They don't respect their workers or their schedules at all. You also tip out 30% and need to do the job of 3 servers every shift because they are so under-staffed from everyone quitting due to poor management. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Poor management, negative coworkers due to the stress, bad scheduling
Terrible
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON10 October 2018
30% tipout (assuming 12% tip on cash sales), 1-2 hour shifts, 10-13 servers on a Friday or Saturday night (leaving you with 1-2 table sections), management is pushy and rude.
I work at Lone Star currently and I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon!
Server (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON9 October 2018
I have worked at Lone Star for almost a year and I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon. The hours are great-not open too late and I make pretty good money here (depends on location and it’s different for every server) but I have worked a lot of serving jobs and the money is pretty consistent here. Management is different at every location but it’s pretty good for the most part. Cowboy boots are not mandatory anymore!!!! Would recommend working here.
Pros
Good hours, good money
super high turnover
London - Waitress (Current Employee) –  London, ON3 October 2018
super accommodating with lifestyle, when i was pregnant they made sure things were modified for me. Turn over is horrible 44 people left in just 6 months.
Pros
great GM
Cons
high turn over
Not good for servers
Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON24 September 2018
Menu is complicated and the learning curve is steep. But that's not the bad bit.
Tip out is 30%, as opposed to the regular 5-10%.
That means you give up almost a third of what you make. Support and kitchen were always extremely concerned about receiving their portion of the tip out, which I assume means they were only being paid minimum (including the kitchen), and the money to make the difference was coming out of the server's pockets.
Kitchen deserves to be above minimum, this is robbing Peter to pay Paul.
And it showed, because all the serving staff resented it. Frequent staff turn around.
Pros
Easy Job to get
Cons
Also easy to want out
No HR- Poor morals and beliefs in the company behind the scenes.
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2018
-Everything guests see is just a show
-Poor organization behind the scenes
-Simple rules and regulations are not being followed
-Managers are wayyyy too under qualified
-The head office only takes care of their busiest locations (don't care about people working for smaller locations)
-Hard work and accomplishments are not being recognized unless there's favouritism
-However the people I worked with were the funnest people ever but the company itself s*cks :(
Good Hours and Flexible with School
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON28 August 2018
I had a pleasant time while working at lone star texas grill. It was flexible with my school hours and the pay was good for the amount of hours I put in. Always gave me constructive criticism to help improve my skills.
Pros
Free lunches, tips for kitchen staff, consitent work.
Cons
Lack of dishwashers when needed
Free chips n salsa was cool
Server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 July 2018
Overall was a fun experience but the cowboy boots hurt. The non slip soles fall off in a week then you gotta get them put back on at a shoe maker.🤪🤠
Pros
Free chips and salsa
Cons
Cowboy boots hurt
Hosting and Serving
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, ON6 June 2018
Lone Star has been a wild ride. When I first started working there, I really enjoyed the job. When I started serving, all of our policies and salaries started to change (normally because of the minimum wage change). These changes were very abrupt and hard to swallow. The workplace became very much stressful because the managers had to respect protocol. They cut down the amount of workers during very busy days, overworking every hard working employee including myself. I must give credit to the managers who were very understanding and accommodating with shift changes and mental health issues.
too much favoritism
Server (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 March 2018
It was a fun place to work. An excellent environment but too many unprofessional things going on behind the scenes that I do not agree with. I made excellent money for years but the drastic change to the restaurant and management were not beneficial to the company and it slowly started to have a drastic impact on making money and providing good service. So I decided to move on.
Pros
amazing fajitas
Fun workplace
Line Cook and Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON10 July 2017
Fun kitchen and pleasant staff all around. great atmosphere to work at. requires lots of hard work to keep up with the high pace and constant busy rushes.
Pros
fajitas
Cons
Fun and exciting workplace with great staff
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 July 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Lone Star, as I gained skills in the kitchen that will be useful in my everyday life. A typical day would consist of preparing ingredients, making sauces and creating dishes for customers.
Enjoyable work environment with supportive management
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON6 March 2017
Working at the Hunt Club, Ottawa location.
Amazing management; flexible, understanding, and supportive. Team work is an important aspect to working at Lone Star; it is integral to be a team player in order to be successful.
Overall great work space and environment.
Pros
Discounted food, Daily contests, Great environment/management
Cons
Rude guests
great place to work
Hospitality Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 January 2017
lots of fun. fast paced environment
great staff and management
good benefits
treat each other and guest like family
very good training program
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
late nights
Long Hours
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 June 2016
Long hours and pay is on the low end.
Job Work and Life Balance is poor.
Management is decent.
Job Culture is on the poor end and there is not much room to advance within the company.
(line cook) Generally busy, practically fast food preparation, easy menu to learn, good hours if wanted
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2016
I worked there for about a year and a half. Not much to say other than it was just like any other corporate kitchen you can come across nowadays, except with fajitas on the menu, and corny "ally-rally" pre-shift chants in which all of the servers in the restaurant completely abandon their guests for about 5 minutes to gather in the back to hoot and holler about shift goals? Definitely, a fun environment if you're into that. In regards to money, Lone Star does offer good amounts of hours if requested (usually) since they are open from 11am - 12am and bi-weekly tip outs also come in handy. I did appreciate the organization of paycheque summaries/statements, emailed schedules, etc. Overall though, mediocre management, mediocre food, and just a mediocre experience.
Pros
1$ a shift staff meals for kitchen staff, benefits if eligible, good hours, quick advancement
Cons
Lots
productive
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 March 2016
it is a fast working site, nice people and short hours. The coworkers are the best. it is always busy on weekends hhhhh hhhh
Pros
free food and paid breaks
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lone Star Texas Grill. Our community is ready to answer.